Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 33,314
    Parallel parking the Volvo was not for the weak. I don't think my sister ever even tried. Heck, if my father or I drove it last, my sister and mother had to get one of us to get the handbrake released. If you pulled it up hard enough they couldn't get it themselves.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 4,513

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 11,276
    edited August 20
    My '66 Studebaker does not have power steering or power brakes...and I'm OK with that, as less things to maintain. The steering isn't bad, but the thing is to keep the car moving, at least a little! Backing it into its winter storage space is a hassle though, as space is tight. It's like an eight-point turn, LOL.

My Dad had neither an automatic transmission nor power steering or power brakes until the end of August '74, when we bought our new Impala Sport Coupe. He never had A/C until his 1984 Monte Carlo.
    In 79 my parents replaced the ‘69 Volvo with a base model Omni. Also a stick with no AC. pretty sure that was manual steering, but did have power brakes.

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,552
    edited August 20
    I can't remember the last car I drove without power steering. I think it was something small, like a Plymouth Champ. You could tell it didn't have it, but it was still tolerable.

I drove my '68 Dart for something like 40,000 miles with the power steering not working, which is actually worse, because you have the quicker power steering ratio...something like 3.5 turns lock-to-lock versus 5 or so with manual steering. Plus, I'm convinced that all that crap that makes the steering require less effort, actually works AGAINST you, when it's not functioning! One of my friends took his driving test in that car...twice. The first time, he goofed up almost immediately, so the cop who went on the test with him had to drive my car through the whole course. My friend said the cop was griping about my car the whole way through! The second time, he did pass, but the parallel parking took some effort. And that particular cop noticed the effort my friend was putting in to turn the wheel and said "let me guess, no power steering?"

My '79 5th Avenue started to lose its power steering back in 2011, at about the worst possible time...during the Mopar show up in Carlisle, PA. I got a few quarts of fluid and used that to limp it along while I was up there. It held out until, on the trip back, it finally went dry on the highway. Now, at higher speeds, you don't really notice it. But, once I got off the highway, had to come to a full stop, and make a sharp left turn, well, that was a tricep builder! The 5th Ave was worse than the Dart, too...heavier car, bigger tires, and a more modern, smaller-diameter steering wheel. I think the "lock-to-lock" ratio is tighter, too.
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,854
    When my 03 Avalon was brand new, it had a faulty pump from the factory and it puked all the fluid out on the highway (in week one of ownership).

I could barely turn the wheels when stopped.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra (for a little longer) / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

• fintailfintail Posts: 48,072
    I remember the 66 Galaxie I drove regularly when I was 16 had a cold stalling problem, and when it stalled, it was very hard to steer - the fingertip-light steering would almost feel like the wheel was locked. I learned to be gentle on the throttle in any kind of slow turn when the car was cold.
  • pensfan83pensfan83 PennsylvaniaPosts: 1,422
    If I had not just purchased a vehicle...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2270052186638897/

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD - 2014 Nissan Altima 3.5SL - 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,858

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

That Monte Carlo SS led me to this, which almost seemed to be too good to be true at first: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/384210348960603/

$500 for a 2009 Grand Marquis? My first thought was, what's wrong with it?! But then I read the ad... "$500 IS THE ESTIMATED DOWNPAYMENT AMOUNT! YOU MUST FINANCE THIS VEHICLE AND BE 18 YEARS OF AGE. PLUS TAX, TITLE, LICENSE AND SERVICES FEE.*$XXX down. DEALER WILL FINANCE ADDITIONAL DEFERRED DOWN PAYMENTS. Does not include tax, title or fees. Limited offer with approved credit on select vehicles at participating dealers. See participating dealer for full details and down payment required. Your down payment may vary. Sample deal: 40 monthly payments of $34.97 per $1000 financed at 21APR. Your payment and interest rate may vary. "

So THAT's what they mean by "Buy here, pay here". I always thought it was just a slang term for a little mom & pop used car lot where a lot of poor people financed a cheap car. I didn't realize they FORCED you to finance it through them?!
    They make more money on the in house financing than the car itself.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra (for a little longer) / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,610
    tjc78 said:

They make more money on the in house financing than the car itself.

Especially when sell the same over and over as people default and the car is repoed.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

edited August 21
    My Uncle had a BHPH lot. The stories he could tell.

People couldn’t afford to fix the cars so they would trade them in and start paying more per week on something else.

My uncle would then take the traded in car, fix it and put it back on the lot.

nice looking cars. I always liked the 71 style. The hood with the fang for the grill too.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,744
    edited August 21
    Not classics, but over the last 2 days I've seen 3 regular cab ColoCan's that were all in great condition.
    Kind of the last of the small pickups, for now.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
    Out doing some errands this morning and spotted a few interesting (for around here at least, in the land of road salt) runners:

First, just a few blocks from my house, an '85 Cutlass for sale at $6K Cdn asking. Looked to be in good condition, maybe even original paint. No idea whether it has the V-6 or the Olds 307, which is the only engine that would justify the price in the absence of buckets/console. I got some pics:

Driving along just after, a square-rigger 80s Sedan DeVille in superb condition went by, looked brand new. Later on, going past a rad shop, what do I see but the same car in the lot, maybe radiator or A/C issues.

But wait! What's that in the background? Why, it's the TVR Tasmin I saw last year driving around, also in for repair. Good luck!!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• fintailfintail Posts: 48,072
    Seeing "antique" plates on a 1985 car makes me feel old. Good spots there. Does the Caddy have an 8-6-4 fender emblem?
  • thebeanthebean Parts UnknownPosts: 1,121
    GM certainly didn’t change the Cutlass much between 1979 (when I had one) and this model. Interior looks almost exactly the same. This was the worst car I have ever had. Engine (260 V8) ran rough and knocked when I used regular fuel, the locks (trunk and ignition) froze up several times, paint oxidized in the first 14 months, and the passenger seat would not stay in place, even after several visits to the dealer. There were other electrical gremlins that finally had me crying “uncle” after 4 years and I traded it in on a Camry. That soured me on GM cars to this day, although I know that is not a fair thing.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2017 Honda Civic EX-T
    edited August 22
    For some reason, my gut is telling me that Cutlass Supreme has the 231, even though it's the Brougham model. Don't ask me what's tipping me off...just intuition.One way to tell, if you know how to decode these things, is I believe the code for the Olds 307 was either a "W" or a "Y". But, it looks like that for sale sign might be covering the VIN.

Those VINs could get confusing, too, because sometimes they'd recycle letters. For instance, in the late 70's, "Y" was the code for the dreaded Pontiac 301. I forget how GM handled it in the years when they had both the 301 and the 307? Maybe that was when they used "W" for the 307?

Another way to narrow it down, somewhat, is if the transmission was a 4-speed automatic, it would have been the 307. The 231 only used the 3-speed automatic. However, the 307 did also offer the 3-speed, just with ridiculously tall gearing to offset lack of overdrive. Confusing times!

**Edit: I just found this online... https://www.gbodycentral.com/forums/vins-oldsmobile/1985-oldsmobile.php Looks like, by 1985, they were using "9" to denote the 307. This site doesn't say what the code for the 231 was, though.
    Certainly the '78-'79 (maybe even '80) models were not very good. Combine GM cost-cutting/downsizing light-weighting/poor QC and emissions/fuel economy mandates (the 260 was a joke of an engine and should never have been produced) with an uncaring dealer and it would not have been a good ownership experience. The later models with the revised styling seemed to fare a bit better, but still felt flimsy and around here were bad rusters. That was why I got a shot of the rear end, as those bumpers are very thin and are usually rusted through here. These two-doors do seem to have a market though.

fintail said:

Seeing "antique" plates on a 1985 car makes me feel old. Good spots there. Does the Caddy have an 8-6-4 fender emblem?

Good eye by you, as it indeed does have a V8-6-4 emblem, making it an '81 model. That engine was actually not bad and easily can be made to run on 8 cylinders all the time. Last year for the big-block Caddy V-8 that was better known in its 472 and 500CID incarnations. Of course in '82 they went to the awful HT4100 in these and it was all sharply downhill for these big RWD Caddys until that was dumped.

What were they thinking with the 4100 in those cars?

No wonder Lincoln really took off in the mid-80s. Multiport Fuel Injected 302 (after 85) and 4spd auto OR a 4100. HMM, tough choice there.

edited August 22
    Hey, Mike Joy of Fox Nascar fame is selling his '66 Mustang convertible! Nice, nice car in great colors.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-ford-mustang-136/

Nice modest little house he has.

(Firefox went back to working with images for a while but something must have happened and it just went out on strike again. It seemed to spread to Chrome this time too, uh-oh. Like something in a thriller movie, the last push of the button on my last option (my personal laptop using Chrome) let me post the above. One out of 4 isn't great.)

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 11,276
    That Cutlass has at least had paint I'd say, if not taken a hit in the back, because the "Oldmobile" script was never installed on the soft bumper there; it was on the decklid.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine...take a freakin' picture before you start the work!

RE.: The 4100--lousy engine; I still thought the Caddies had jewel-like design features, as I was never a fan of the thick side window frames of the Mark VII and where I live, I was always seeing '80's Lincolns sitting like a low-rider, but not on purpose. :)

While on this subject, I'd still very-much like a '79 or '80 Eldorado or '77-79 Fleetwood Brougham, with the tapered B pillar I hated back then but now like as distinctive.
    edited August 22
    was always seeing '80's Lincolns sitting like a low-rider, but not on purpose. :)

Continentals and Mark VIIs maybe... not the Town Cars. Those didn't get air springs until 1990. Years prior had regular springs and air shocks to level out with a lot of weight. If it broke the cars would still sit level unloaded.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,433
    An Acura Vigor; rare in it's heyday likely, too!

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

Haven’t seen one of those in years.

They were 5 cylinders, correct?

That Cutlass has at least had paint I'd say, if not taken a hit in the back, because the "Oldmobile" script was never installed on the soft bumper there; it was on the decklid.

Well, given GM quality control at the time, maybe it just fell off. :D

tjc78 said:

What were they thinking with the 4100 in those cars?

CAFE, mostly. This has a lot of good detail:

http://www.mcsmk8.com/8-6-4/8-6-4.HTM