Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 48,072
    Let's see where it goes best color combo, perhaps
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 121,522
    fintail said:

Let's see where it goes best color combo, perhaps

At or over 6 figures, I'll guess.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Posts: 33,314

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• berriberri Posts: 10,138
    I liked the 70's E-cars. but thought the few extra inches in length made the Challenger even nicer looking.
    edited August 24
    Not sure where to post this, but I found it interesting - window sticker for a final run (1968 delivery) 230 fintail. For as good as MB owners can be at keeping documents, window stickers before the 70s are quite scarce. I like the $19 destination/delivery charge. Tinted glass is an uncommon option. Notice there's no mention of AC or radio - these were dealer-installed:

And a radio receipt from about 10 years later - that Blaupunkt cost a pretty penny, and apparently is still in the car:

My car got a used Becker Europa TR around 1970, for something like $125. It is also still in the car.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,552
    That's a pretty hefty sum for back then. FWIW, the cheapest Cadillac, a Calais, started around $5400 for the hardtop coupe and around $5660 for the hardtop sedan...although even here, stuff we think of as standard in a Cadillac, such as a power seat, windows, any radio at all, and a/c was an option. They even charged $32 for shoulder straps for the seatbelts, at least until the Feds made them mandatory, on 1/1/68, I believe.

Years ago, I spec'ed out my '68 Dart 270 using one of those American Standard catalogs. It had a base price of $2653 with a V8, but by the time you threw on the automatic, a/c, power steering, tinted windshield, radio, it came out to around $3300. My '69 was actually more, around $3600 with just a slant six, but it was better-equipped in other ways...3-speed electric wipers, vinyl roof, and being a GT model. It's funny; the V8 only added $128, in 1968...and that was over the tiny 170 CID slant six! But an AM radio was most likely a more expensive option than that!
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,858
    Yes, back in those days the most expensive options tended to be A/C, auto transmission, power windows and seats, and any kind of radio/tape player. Optional engines were often very inexpensive unless you wanted a high-output job.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

Jensen 6x9 speakers. Now that brings me back to my HS, beater car days!

I think my fintail stickered around 5K when it was new a few years before that 230, I assumed it was the same price as a nicely equipped Buick. For the MB, you weren't paying for size or convenience features, but for engineering.
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,854
    stickguy said:

Jensen 6x9 speakers. Now that brings me back to my HS, beater car days!

I miss my car stereo tinkering days.

Subs, Amps and the latest and greatest head units.

The system I had in my 93 Taurus would rival many home systems.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra (for a little longer) / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

The last stereo I did was my 1985 Colt, which came with no stereo so I had to put one in. Eventually changed the speakers myself. Since then, they stayed the way the factory made them, other than my Odyssey. Had an adapter added so I could plug in an XM roadie unit, and had the shop put new front speakers in at the same time.

I would be terrified to mess with the wiring in any new car now. At least the TLX has no needs for any upgrades

I've only done a stereo in one car, my mom's Tempo. When I was a teen, the original stereo crapped out, so I went to the junkyard and found an identical unit. Plug and play, although it wasn't cheap for a junkyard part ($50, IIRC), as the car wasn't too ancient yet, and it was the fancier version. Of course, 6 months later the replacement crapped out, and I replaced it with a Wally World special Sony that was still in the car when sold several years later.

I did have the original radio in the fintail rebuilt, but it just unscrews from the base and slides out. I also had a Sirius head unit put in my old E55, hidden in the ashtray.
    I used to run into a guy from time to time at some local classic car shows who had a '61 DeSoto 4-door hardtop. The base MSRP on that would have been something like $3167. However, his had an MSRP of around $5,000! That was definitely entry-level Cadillac/Imperial territory, although I just checked, and the '61 Lincolns actually started around $6,000 for the sedan, $6700 for the convertible.

By '61, DeSoto was a mere shell of its former self. All the nicer models had been eliminated, and what was left was priced about equivalent to the former Firesweep, which itself was often viewed as a glammed up Dodge rather than a "real" DeSoto. Yet, in '61, stuff like the automatic, power steering/brakes, radio, heater, etc were all still optional equipment. This one also had air conditioning and power windows. I can't remember if it had a power seat/door locks as well, though. I'd imagine air conditioning was around a $400-500 option by then. I recall reading it was around $550 for GM in 1956, and I think for the '57 Mopars it was $484. So, it was one of those items that got cheaper over time, as it became more popular, both in raw dollars and inflation-adjusted dollars. But, I'm sure it was still pretty pricey in '61. I do remember, by the late 60's, it was around $330-350 in a '68 or '69 Dart. By '85 it was up to around $650-750, with the auto-temp styles often running around $900...of course, inflation was what accounted for most of that increase.

These days, a/c is pretty much standard on everything. The last time I saw any sort of study done, admittedly a few years ago, they said that a/c on average adds about $1,000 to the price of a modern car. Contrast that to the mid/late 50's, where adjusting for inflation, a/c was the equivalent of $4500-5000!
    I suspect AC on an early-mid 60s MB was maybe a $500 option. They were usually under-dash units, not the more elaborate style with rear ducting etc (although I have seen a highline fintail with such a unit). A German brand radio was probably another $200 installed. Power windows/locks/seats simply weren't available yet.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,245
    I'm good to tackle the Bavsound BMW /Mini speaker and amp upgrades; I'm installing their Stage One upgrade in the Mini in the next couple of days.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

Must have been an early Ford meet in the area today, saw several Model As of varying types, all original (which I greatly prefer to 70s-80s style rods) and a neat ~35 pickup as well.
    My father used to talk about when he was out with his dad in their Model A coupe. Seems gramps liked to put it through its paces and flipped it on its side one day.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,744
    edited August 26
    You GM guys are going to love this.
    My son in law's dad loves those cushy cruisers.
    Prior car was an early last gen Lincoln Town Car with Florida package.
    It got totaled, so now he drives this.

2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
    I've ridden in those used as cabs some years back. They were in the 250-325K range on the odometer and still rode quietly and nicely.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,610
    It's a 350 engine, isn't it. I had one as a loaner when my leSabre was in the dealer for some service. I threw golf clubs in the rear and drove country roads to the scruff golf course. It was a steamship on smooth waters over those back roads.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

I always loved the idea of a '94-96 Roadmaster, or Fleetwood, with the LT-1 engine. Sort of an Impala SS in drag. Every once in awhile, I'll see something like that for sale at one of the swap meets I go to in Carlisle, PA. And, I do get slightly tempted...
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 4,513

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    Andre, I saw an episode of phantom works yesterday while working out, and the featured car was a 59 (I think, maybe a 60) sedan deVille. Needed a lot of rehab, but the big piece was the motor was shot. Instead of a rebuild, they put in a modern v8. I think an LS3 maybe. With matching transmission. Really pepped the old girl up, without changing the nature of it at all. Otherwise kept stock.

It did cost some obscene amount though. Probably $120,000+ all together. Definitely not a smart financial decision, but the car was a family heirloom.

• texasestexases Posts: 8,921
    I’ll miss that show, the only one that was realistic regarding both cost and time needed for restoration work.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,235
    At my buddy's tire shop/garage this morning. A 1976 Citroen HY tricked out as a tailgating vehicle

Edmunds Moderator

Silver 2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback & White 2019 Nissan Rogue S

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

Would love to see interior on that one.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,858
    texases said:

I’ll miss that show, the only one that was realistic regarding both cost and time needed for restoration work.

Well, I'm not so sure on that. I liked the show when it first appeared because of those reasons, but as I watched more of it I began to see that a lot of the situations seemed contrived and overly dramatized, and some of the gymnastics they went through to find supposedly unobtainium parts were simply made up. I suppose someone might be inclined to spend 6 figures on a $15,000 car if they had the means and it meant something to them, but I have to think those kind of clients were rare, yet the place seemed to live off them. The other thing about the show that troubled me was the almost complete turnover of staff in the shop over the years, and the odd combination of people supposedly having great expertise next to ones who screwed up the simplest of tasks, again leading to suspicion that much of it was scripted fake drama. I stopped watching it.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• DaverceeDavercee Tampa, FloridaPosts: 102
    Now, that looks amazing!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,235
    stickguy said:

Would love to see interior on that one.

Of the Citroen? I might be able to do that. I know the guy who it belongs to and there are home games the next two weekends :)

Edmunds Moderator

Silver 2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback & White 2019 Nissan Rogue S

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review