Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    more expensive cars seem to fare better, anyway. Even with cars from the undesirable years, like the '70's, I still see DeVilles, Electras, and Ninety-Eights of '71-76 vintage on a regular basis. Moreso than the more common B-bodies of that era (Impala/Caprice, Catalina/Bonneville...these have almost disappeared, except for 'verts, LeSabres, and Deltas). With Chrysler, I see '76-78 NYer's all the time (the big pimpy Imperial-esque ones with the hidden headlights) Newports, Gran Furys, and Monaco/Royal Monacos have just about all bitten the dust. In that case though, I think the NYer was actually the most popular in those years.

And with Ford, I still see big Lincolns and Mark V's, but very rarely do I see a Marquis or LTD from that battlecruiser era.

Another example is the Chrysler R-body, built from 1979-81, it was Mopar's last stab at a true full-sized car. Of them all, the NYer 5th Avenue was the priciest and rarest...only 15K built for 1979. Now the R- is a car that's pretty rare in general nowadays...most of the cheaper models were actually sold as police cars and taxis, so they've all been used up. And as they became used cars, it was popular to take the NYers and 5th Aves and put them into taxi service as well. Plus, build quality really wasn't that great on them, and they'd start rusting before a Ford or GM of the era would. Still, I see an occasional 5th Avenue here and there. There are usually a few on the show field at the Carlisle Mopar Nationals. The lesser Newport, St. Regis, and especially Gran Fury (an '80-81-only model) are almost non-existent, though.

I think what happens, even with these less-desireable cars, is just that people with more money end up buying them in the first place, and hold onto them longer and take better care of them than people who bought the cheaper models.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'm not sure what all the reasons are (probably a complex set of circumstances). If a car is expensive but common, it disappears, too.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    Today I saw a blue 1977 Monte Carlo with a white vinyl top. I've always liked that car. I also saw a 1966? Buick full-size convertible. I'm not sure if it was an Electra, LeSabre or what -- I don't know my models that well for pre-1970s cars.

-Andrew L
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Saw a small Lexus....Identical to a corolla !
    4 door. It said lexus on the back. It had a
    chrome grille with a lexus badge on it. But NO
    other #s or markings on the side. It had Ontario
    plates and a lexus dealer plate surround.

Also a Pontiac Firefly aka Geo/Chevy Metro.

ANY Canadians out there know about that lexus?
  • kw_carmankw_carman Member Posts: 114
    Would this happen to be the Lexus ES250?

• i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    Which is similar to the size of a 2nd gen Camry (87-91). This car was sold in 90-91 and was essentially a Camry with Lexus badges.

However, the Corolla-sized Lexus is probably the current IS300:

http://www.lexus.com/models/is/index.html
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Body styled exactly like a 03 corolla. Different plastic on side. Taillights same size but different. Back trunk said"lexus" on the right side. Chrome front grille with Lex. badge on it. corolla has a black or body color grille right? NO id's on the side......
    Only had a looksee at 110 kms and heavy traffic on the 401.
    Thanks, but that was what I was trying to get across to sonjaab.
  • tbonertboner Member Posts: 402
    But on Saturday in AZ between Flagstaff and Phoenix headed southbound on I-17 I saw an Avanti as well as one of those early 80's Dodge Colts. Both looked good. That didn't surprise me regarding the Avanti, but the Colt didn't seem faded, instead it looked nearly showroom new as well. Of course no rust in AZ, and it was doing a pretty good clip up and down, but mostly downhill. It was just kinda shocking to see such an older "utility" car look sooooo good.
     TB
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,368
    I was out there last fall and saw a cherry Maverick!

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• mazda6iguymazda6iguy Member Posts: 365
    I once saw a Hyundai Pony near Canada.
  • mazda6iguymazda6iguy Member Posts: 365
    Just the other day I spotted a Honda Accord wagon, looked like it was customized w/ low profile tires. Nice ride...
    My independent repair shop is a great place to see
    performance modified Volkswagen and especially, Audi cars.

The ur-Quattro is what the call the original Audi Quattro that came out in coupe form in 1980. Not a lot were sold but there were two there at the shop today. The black was an '84 Turbo that belongs to one of the techs, he told me that it has 215,000 on it. Both cars were in good original #3 condition.

• ajvdhajvdh Member Posts: 223
    I did a "test and tune" at our local road course Wednesday. Only about 8 cars including mine, but a couple of interesting rides. For starters, a Quattro coupe.

...And a gen-u-ine, aluminum body, built by Shelby's own shop as a race car, formerly-driven-by-Dan-Gurney, big block Cobra. The current owner races it in vintage events. You couldn't carry on a conversation within 50 feet when it was idling. If he was within 100 feet of me on the track I couldn't hear my own engine. A fast car driven well. The driver was using the whole track (and then some in a couple of places).
    It's a handful and you better know what you're doing if you plan on being frisky with a Cobra.
    I saw a light blue Citroen 2CV on the road the other day. It looked to be in nice condition, though it was really noisy, like a lawnmower!

-Andrew L
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...a silver Merkur Scorpio this afternoon. What was Merkur's last year in NA?
    I think 1989 was the end. They only sold maybe like 20,000 of them here and I would imagine the survival rate isn't all that great.
    So it's getting rare-ish but not really rare relative to some other orphans.
    I've had close friends of the family that have owned Sterling and a Medallion Renault at one time or another. Being that both of these cars seemed to vanish, I am wondering how these brands were sold back in the late-80's. Were they independant dealers, or was it like the GM/Daewoo or BMW/Mini partnership in which Daewoos were sold out of other GM dealers. Anyone?
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    ....were first sold at AMC dealers, then when AMC was purchased by Chrysler, they were sold at Chrysler-Plymouth-Jeep dealers. Sterlings, IIRC, were generally sold at other import dealers. Back then, it seemed like imports were more likely to be sold at non-exclusive dealerships, there weren't too many Mercedes-only or BMW-only stores like there are now.

Yesterday, I saw an '86 SAAB 900 Turbo convertible. Not exactly 'obscure', but the '86 was the first year they were built, the only year with the non-composite headlights. Only 350 were sold here, all were silver.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    theres at least one Sterling left, since I was one on 95 in Delaware today.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ajvdhajvdh Member Posts: 223
    There's a Belgian Bakery in Boulder (alliteration, anyone?) that owns a couple of 'em as delivery vehicles. Complete with a 4' long fiberglass baguette sticking up from the trunklid.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Saw a two-tone (rust with white accents...LOL) Pinto struggling down the road today. Last time I recall seeing one actually moving was about 15 years ago when I witnessed one run a red light (from behind me where I was stopped behind two other cars) and it lost to a Grand Marquis...LOL

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • scott1256scott1256 Member Posts: 531
    Checker in the parking lot of a local restaurant. It did not appear to be an ex-taxi - it was grey with full chrome wheel covers.
    I am not able to tell one year of Checker from another, but hadn't seen one of any description in a long time!

Scott.
    I used to own one. A Checker Marathon, not a taxi. It was a 1963 with a curious engine, a Continental flathead that Checker converted to overhead valves. It idled at 300 rpm, came equipped with a Borg Warner overdrive (from Studebaker) and various assembled components from different manufacturers.

A big primitive tank, very uncomfortable and clumsy, even by 1963 standards. But you could knock down somebody's house with it, if you had a mind to do that. My conception of a Russian sports car, circa 1946.
  • scott1256scott1256 Member Posts: 531
    How neat that you are a former Checker owner!
    I have seen both the standard and long wheelbase(limousine) Checker Marathons.
    I have seen pictures of the long station wagon model (was it called the Aerobus?) that had 4 doors on each side, but never seen one in the metal.

Cheers,
    Scott.
    ...there's a really rusty white '59 Impala four-door sedan, six with a powerglide, in my neighborhood. It was previously owned by a bartender at our corner bar (Cody's), apparently he sold it to the new owner for $1.75. Yes, you read that right, less than a Happy Meal. The car runs fine, though I wonder if the frame will last through the winter.
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    with Sonora Mexico plates. Not bad looking at all - think Focus meets Mazda6, with a bit of 3-series in the rear end.

-Jason
  • magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    I saw a Reliant Robin in Cardiff, Wales!

I also saw a Pontiac Trans Am and an Oldsmobile Achieva in Austria!! Haha
    What's new?

I also saw a Checker Marathon today, pre-1973 (small bumpers), a long-wheelbase sedan with a lovely oval opera window through its vinyl roof. Stunning!
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    France is a long way from Texas, hope it is more pleasure than business.

Haven't heard from you in awhile. I hope all is going well and it's good to see you're still around.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    Oh, not much.
    I am actually not in France, I changed my flag when the whole "weapons of mass destruction" malarkey was going on. I felt the French needed defending, and that they were gutsy to go with what they felt was in their national interest.

I am currently trying to get my permanent work permit settled in the UK, but I am having much harder of a time than I thought.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sea Green Ford Galaxie 500 convertible, circa what - late 60's?

Steve, Host
    ...a teal blue 1969 Mercury Colony Park station wagon. The car was in excellent condition with no signs of body rot - very rare in the Northeast.
  • auerbachauerbach Member Posts: 110
    saw a VW Rabbit based pickup today. Really good shape.
    When did they come out? Early 80's?
    I always thought it's be cool to stuff a VR6 drivetrain in a Rabbit p/up..just to have something different.

I saw an Avanti today!
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    I nearly was backended by a Chevette today. It looked like a 1986 model. Lately, I have seen a lot of Dodge Omni's around. Surprised they could keep them running ...
    ...a rather nice 1968 AMC Ambassador parked outside a gas station every day on my way home from work.
    Omni Horizons are quite tough little cars. I like them a lot, I would almost buy one.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    was my first new car. I bought it my second year undergrad and gave it to my nephew three years and more than 80k miles later when I went to study abroad. It had the 4 speed and the 1.8 ltr. Mitsubishi 4 cyl.

My college buds and I drove it full of gear from coast to coast on many a climbing trip. The engine was so simple I gave it a full tune up and changed a water pump without even looking at a book (late 80's so no WWW yet). What a great little car.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    yeah, it does seem like people had a love-hate relationship with that little car. I think I've heard just about as many love affairs as I have horror stories when it comes to the Omnirizon.

When it first came out for 1978, it was probably the first domestic subcompact that could really be considered modern and up-to-date. Also one of the first domestic subcompacts to offer a 4-door version. Actually, it may have been the first...I'm not sure what year the 4-door Chevette came out.
    I believe that the first Chevette came out in 1976.

I thought that as a drive, the Omni/Horizon was a blast. It had power that was so much greater than any car its size at the time. But the whole thing was thrown together so cheaply that it resembled a bucket of bolts. I mean, the nameplate of the model would fall off. The carpet wore through to the floorpan by about 50k miles. I had friends that would need to get in the backseat to drive as both front door handles broke off ...
    it had so much torque steer it nearly ripped the wheel out of my hands. Quite surprising for a car w modest power.

In 1977, my brother was responsible for calling smow days for a private schools. We used to take the Horizon all over the hilliest portions of town, It was surprising how well it climbed hills when my Chevette could do very little.

If it had only been reasonable to maintain ...
    I know someone who owns a 1997 Neon, and her dad owns a 1989 Omni. The Omni is actually more reliable than the Neon, which is a piece of junk! Her dad obsessively maintains both cars, but the Neon just keeps falling apart faster than he can repair it. He bought the Omni new in 1989 as a special order with NO options - no A/C, no wheel covers, vinyl interior, stick shift. Not sure if it has a radio or not. I guess there isn't much there to break!

-Andrew L
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    both front door locks jammed on my horizon. Until I could get replacement parts, I had to open the hatch and crawl in through the back to unluck the car.

My college sweetheart thought it was a kick. She used to like to crawl in with me instead of waiting by the door. I almost did not want to get it fixed.

Kind of funny how at 19 the defects of your car are almost more important to you than the good things.
    I agree. I think that the Omni/Horizon is a superior vehicle to the Neon. I have had two Neons die on me as rentals with less than 2000 miles.

My Chevette was a solid car EXCEPT that the molding strips would always fall off. I must have glued those things on twenty or thirty times and they would not stick on.
    I spotted a mint condition Alfa Spider Veloce... not really a rare car, but I decided I wanted one.
    with faded light blue paint. Looked in otherwise decent shape. I also spotted a 70s era Alfa Spider Veloce in decent shape.