Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• mp67rivmp67riv Posts: 14
    I have always liked the 62 Olds line, from the Starfire and 98 down to the F-85 Cutlass. On the 98, the quad taillamps and the extra body side trim added an extra something to an already pretty decent design. The "protruding" headlight/grille assembly was also unique and, to me, attractive. My aunt and uncle had a 98 4 dr hardtop back in the early 60s, but it was the 6 window roofline. I think the 4 window roofline on this one is nicer than the 6 window. Another aunt had a F-85 Cutlass, and I always enjoyed riding in that car.
  • lokkilokki Posts: 1,200
    1955 Oldsmobile Super 88 - I like this a lot.
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/1246921358.html

1970 oldsmobile cutlass supreme - too bad about the sunroof.
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1254332720.html

This will never get finished.... too bad too
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1243030263.html

MAYBE this one will get finished....
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1250055133.html
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 20,309
    I just spent several miles behind a '57 Chevy four-door 4-poster, probably a 210. It was dark non-metallic red, a little faded, perhaps original. It had twin tailpipes so likely it was a V8. The left tailpipes smoked quite a bit on take off but not while cruising.

I also saw one of those huge fuselage-era MoPars, also a 4-poster. It wore a very appropos license plate: QE2 ;)

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• fintailfintail Posts: 47,588
    When I was in podunk last weekend, I saw something I just looked up to see if it was a real, a Pontiac "GT-37". I had never heard of this before - it looked like a ca. 1970-71 LeMans/GTO, but had that odd badge. I googled it and apparently it is a real car. New one to me.
  • martianmartian Posts: 220
    How long was this rather obscure make sold in the USA?
    And, what happened to the firm..was it absorbed by a larger automobile maker?
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,492
    I'd heard of a GT-37, but never really knew what it was. However, a friend of mine used to have a 1971 T-37, as he called it. He had it before I knew him though, so I never saw it. He used to talk about it like it was something special. Essentially all it was though, was the cheapest intermediate Pontiac that year, replacing the Tempest. In 1970, Pontiac had the Tempest, LeMans, LeMans Custom, and GTO, and labeled them all as separate models. For 1971 though, they were all just "LeMans", with T37, LeMans, LeMans Sport, and GTO all different sub-levels. Basically, one of those name-game shuffles that Detroit is famous for.

In googling the GT-37, it looks like it was advertised as sort of a poor man's GTO. It came standard with a 350-2bbl, rather than the Chevy-6. However, you could order it with bigger engines, like the 400 and 455.

When my friend was still in college, at the U of MD, one day he came out to the parking lot to see some fresh body damage down the side of his car. He got really upset about it, but then really went ballistic when he saw that the car in the spot next to it, a newish Honda Accord (this would've been around 1981-82 I guess) had damage on it that matched up! Yep, that's right, the perp had the nerve not only to hit his car, but just leave their car blatantly parked right next to it!

Well, it turns out it was owned by an Indian girl, new to this country (and driving, evidently) and she said that she thought it was okay to hit my friend's car, because it was an old car! :surprise:

Ultimately, that car gave way to a 1982 Bonneville with the bigger Buick 252 V-6. Sometime in the late 1980's, my friend got it repainted, in its original light jadestone. Within days of the repaint, one rainy fateful day, a mid 1970's Royal Monaco wagon wiped out, crossed the center line, and took him out along with a late 70's Cutlass Supreme and a Citation. Must have been pick on GM day! The Cutlass and Bonneville were totaled. I don't think the Citation was totaled, but it wasn't driveable either. The only car that drove away from that scene was that mammoth Royal Monaco!
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 32,400
    next door neighbor to a relative I was visiting this weekend.

1st a 1988 325. Odd part was that it was an iX. I didnt even know they made them that early.

And the nice one inthe garage. A gen 1 (forgot to ask which year) red M3. All original, super clean and totally stock.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,400
    AKA Satan's own road, of all places

An early Sl Mercedes convert. Red. Passed the other way, so didnt see the badges, but I assume it was a 190SL?

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• berriberri Posts: 9,870
    I like the coupes and convertibles, but also enjoy seeing 4 Dr and wagons since they can be nostalgic representing the actual cars we mostly grew up with. 1962 was a indeed good year for Olds.

I think you could get the Pontiac T-37 with racing stripes and a spoiler. It also cut costs by things like a fixed rear seat window that didn't roll down, and despite the sporty options I think it still had a bench seat. I believe there was a "heavy Chevy" or some such version Chevelle as well that was a poor kids fake muscle car back then. I just could never get into racing stripes on a car. I always liked the 71/72 Plymouth Sebring coupe. I thought it was a sharp looking car, but I don't think it really sold all that well. In fact, I think it did better with the 73 restyle which I personally found kind of boxy and less attractive. I also liked the 72 fastback Torino coupe and its roofline, but I think that style was also short lived. I guess the message back then related to the cars I liked was that I was either avant garde or the only taste I had was in my mouth!
    I think Borgward was in the US for about 5 years...with the reasonably good looking Isabella coupe, and a few other weirdos.

The firm went under in Germany in the early 60s, but was made in Mexico until around 1970. Some kind of financial shenanigans.
    I was thinking it was a homemade badge when I first saw it, as the car looked to obviously be restored, and maybe had some kind of unique modification and a unique badge to go along with. I learned something, doesn't happen every day :shades:

And about a decade later, Pontiac would bless us again with the "T" prefix with the awesome T-1000.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 20,309
    How long was this rather obscure make sold in the USA?
    And, what happened to the firm..was it absorbed by a larger automobile maker?

I couldn't tell you definitively but I first became aware of them ca. 1957-8 and they ceased production in 1961. The primary export to the US was the Isabella Sport Coupe, a lower priced competitor to the Mercedes 190SL.

Production machinery was sold to a Mexican according to Wikipedia where they were produced from '67-'70.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 1,019
    I remember a friend's parents had a T-37 Lemans. I think it was pretty stripped, I rode in it a few times but all I remember is it had the two speed powerglide trans.

I passed a Mustang convertible for sale this weekend, thought the sign said $2000 so I stopped to look. It ended up being $20,000. I think it was a '73, It was one of the bloated ones. Pretty pricey for probably one of the more undesireble Mustangs.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • lemkolemko Philadelphia, PAPosts: 15,306
    ....1971-72 Pontiac LeMans four-door sedan for sale in my neighborhood. I can't tell what the original color was as almost every color is on it - white, black, blue, red...
  • mp67rivmp67riv Posts: 14
    In addition to the Isabella coupe, there was a two door sedan and, I believe, a two door wagon. My understanding is that they were fairly well made cars. The Isabella coupe had similar lines to the VW Karmann Ghia coupe.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    That's right --Borgward was sold in the USA up to about 1961 or thereabouts. The company was then liquidated, assets sold off to pay creditors, and manufacturing rights sold to someone in Mexico. Apparently some Isabellas and some sedans were made in Mexico in the late 60s but I never saw one. The company died for good soon after that.

Mr. Borgward made some interesting cars, even a racer. But he was apparently a very eccentric, egomaniacal type, and drove his company in a wrong direction.

He could have been a contendah....he could have been somebody... :P
    Yep, I think those were both sold in NA, and IIRC, they also had the Isabella name.

The cars have a decent following in Europe, and quite a few seem to have survived, so they were probably solid.
    I've driven them, even worked on a couple of them. They were very well-made cars.
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    I read some website which alleged that Borgward (the company) went under when a German bank called in its loans at the behest of some friends-of-friends over at M-B who didn't like the prospect of competition for the fintail.
    Sounds like one of those conspiracy theories that makes no sense. M-B was a lot stronger company than Borgward, Lloyd and Hansa. It would be like a 60s General Motors trying to bankrupt Studebaker. I mean, why bother?
    Here's a really nicely preserved 1976 Grand Prix. Too bad they didn't pick a nicer one to preserve though...I imagine this one was about as cheap as it got. I don't think I've ever seen that a car with that dashboard (same as my '76 Grand LeMans) not equipped with a/c...looks odd with the vent covers.

I'm not sure, but I think the 350-2bbl might have actually been a credit option on the Grand Prix in '76!
    Price is totally batso crazy. $7000 would be a home run with bases loaded in the last game of the series.
    Yeah, that's about what I figured. Cars like that always amaze me though...why someone would pay good money for a car, only to horde it away all those years and not use it. And it seems a fair number of 70's and 80's cars like that turn up. Maybe it's because they were so awful to drive, their owners just gave up and put them in storage! :P

For some reason, this poor rat of a '77 LeMans caught my eye. Maybe it's because I drove my '76 to work today. Anyway, I'm guessing this one might be good for about $500-600...if it runs? The one upside to this one is that it somehow managed to dodge a bullet on the assembly line, getting fitted with a Chevy 305 rather than a Pontiac 301.
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    .....two sort of oddballs: a Cadillac XLR, burgandy, very nice (this may not be odd, but in my neighborhood, you don't see them); great looking car, though I have to wonder how much is being discounted off MSRP ($86-91k!!!!) right now.

The other was a white Peugeot 505 STX 2.8i (the V6) in really nice condition. I have to wonder who (and why, and with whose cooperation) has kept this thing on the road, I don't imagine parts or labor are easy to come by.
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    ....I'll never understand; I remember as a kid, one of my aunt's friends had a Caprice coupe (77) with power windows, locks, seat, tilt wheel....and factory NO air. Huh? My partner's Jeep Wrangler also has no a/c, though that's a bit more understandable because of the type of vehicle, but hard to overlook. I have bad memories of going to July weddings in a suit, sweating my [non-permissible content removed] off. Ugh.
    You should be able to buy a 2007-2008 low miles XLR for around $45,000 right now-- so about half of MSRP or less. A 2006 that's miled up, under $30,000.
  • texasestexases Posts: 8,823
    So much for the 'rebirth of Cadillac'...what do they have? XLR is DOA, same with STS and Escalade. The SRX Mk II doesn't appear too interesting. What's that leave? The CTS, a good car, but not enough for the whole division!
    I read somewhere that the undoing of Borgward had some fishy dealings too, and the company wouldn't have had to go under if it held out a little while longer. I don't know if it had to do with P100 vs fintail though, I haven't heard that before. The fintail was very well received from the day it hit the streets, and the odder ahd heavier looking Borgward doesn't seem to have been a danger, at least in my eyes.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,711
    I came across this article from TTAC's website and I figured you would want to take a look at it:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/review-1975-mercedes-benz-280s/

I do see W116s around the DC area from time to time but they are almost always 300SDs. How come we almost never see 280S sedans anymore? :(