Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,600
    You're right. I'd almost forgotten about vent windows. This is a feature that should be reintroduced.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Another nice feature of 50s cars was a large vent on the windshield cowl. You just released a lever under the dash and a hurricane of air came down on your feet. Also, vents in the front fenders did the same thing. You flipped a lever by the kick panel near your left foot. You could also buy a swamp cooler from JC Whitney and hang it under your dash, and a little 6 V fan that you plugged into the cigar lighter and suction-cupped onto the dashboard.

But if you were driving in the desert, or on a crowded city street with 90 degree humidity, you just suffered.

Most 50s and 60s cars also put out a tremendous amount of engine and transmission heat. I remember T-Birds were notorious for this.

I also recall one time sitting in traffic in my old Jaguar, on a 20 degree winter day. The engine was overheating and starting to boil, and yet, just on the other side of the firewall, my feet were blocks of ice. I often wondered why the British couldn't get that amount of heat up front, good enough to melt steel, just a few inches backward into the passenger compartment.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,458
    I loved the vent windows on my old Cherokee. They were great when the AC finally died in it I didn't get it fixed for years cause just the vent windows would be plenty of air.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 47,543
    I don't see why these can't exist again as a soft pillar, like was used on some Lincoln Mark Vs. My fintail also has vent windows (always called "wing windows" in my family), and they are very handy for ventilation, even on a cold day. The car also has a large vent in front of the windshield, on the cowl, but it doesn't seem to let a ton of air in - not like in the various 1960s Fords my dad had when I was younger - opening the vents on those could let in a huge amount of air, especially at speed.
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    ....last car we had with ventipanes was the aforementioned Econoline, also had them in mom-n-dad's '72 Chevy pickup. Great if your mom is a smoker, too. I also remember cars with vents that let in so much air, were not filtered, that you'd get things like bugs and leaves through them. Not so nice, but gives you an idea of how much airflow they had.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 20,283
    although excellent A/C systems were available on all domestic cars, many, especially in northern climates, considered A/C a luxury. Among those who considered A/C a luxury, there was a sub group who felt it was only appropriate on luxury cars and high end medium priced ones.

I agree that was a common attitude. Don't forget that city and town dwellers don't use their cars that often. That explains a lot of the reason why I never bothered getting air when I was a New Yorker but I didn't hesitate to order air con once I was doing sales routes and commuting by car.

I knew a woman from Vermont who as recently as the early 90s bought cars without air. I had no idea you could even order a '92 corolla without it. :confuse:

A lot of people might be surprised to learn that most residents of Northern New England, like myself, still do not have air conditioning in their homes. We don't even have (or need) a window unit. When it gets too hot/humid like today I just head for the basement. For the life of me I don't understand why homes in the hot, arid Southwest are built without basements, It's always cool below grade level.

Cars and trucks are a different matter being metal boxes that heat up quickly, cool down slowly and have no basements. :shades:

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

The real reason, I think, is VENT WINDOWS. These were marvelous little devices...you could direct a blast of air on your face, you could discreetly discard various items, and they made great defrosters. I really miss 'em.

Not me, I hated those things, not only did they spoil the line of the car but they weren't all that efficient at cooling the interior (or at defrosting). About the only thing my old TR-4 was better at than the Fiat 124 that followed it was top up ventilation.

TRs didn't have little vent windows, they had (what a concept) in-dash vents that resemble those on air-conditioned cars>

Those got air from a simple flap forward of the window, simple, bullet-proof and a lot more effective than a couple of puny little windows.

'Course they were the only thing on a TR-4 that worked every time. ;)

See my previous post for a tale of how piss poor vent widows were.

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,600
    All true. And going back to pre-WWII years, you could crank the windshield open, maybe 3-5 inches, on some cars, and have the air blow straight in your face.
    Or you could drive a Triumph, roll up the windows, button up the convertible top, turn up the heater, and STILL have the wind blow straight into your face. :P
    I saw a Grand National yesterday - not in black, but in silver.

Also saw a VW Transporter that must have been from the late 50s, and it was unrestored. It looked as alien among the modern cars today as it must have when new. Also saw a T-bucket and a late 60s Riviera.
    A late 50s Transporter would have the classic split glass windshield. Those didn't get curved windshields 'til '68 or '69 IIRC.

Yep, it was a split windshield, and it wasn't a cargo van - it had windows, but it wasn't a 21 window or anything. A period grey color, not in bad condition but with a lot of patina.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 32,330
    Either a 55 or 57. I cant tell them apart.

Lite mint green (not really bad looking). Of all odd place, on the Schuykill expressway.

also some old cheys. A 65ish 4 door Chevelle or Malibu, and a '67 full size 2 door. Tha looked pretty nice.

And yesterday, a '64ish Ford fairlan rumbled by my house. Old guy driving, but it burbled nice. Def. hopped up. Also seemed to have a bit of extra tire and suspension in the back.

And finally, in my town, a '71-73 Mustang fastback (looked brand new). Maybe a spirit of america? was that the white one with blue stripes (and a big baby blue band around the rocker panels)?

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• au1994au1994 GAPosts: 1,551
    A 57 has slightly more pronounced and angled tail fins and is a little bigger than the 55 or 56 which look really similar.

The early 2 seat Birds are great looking cars.

2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited Venetian Red over Black
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• texasestexases Posts: 8,802
    Saw a good-looking red one in traffic (couldn't see the model #), stacked dual headlights - W111? While I've seen so many pics of them here, I can't remember the last time I saw a fintail 'in the wild'.
    Where I live (Santa Cruz county) I still see an amazing number of them putting around---they are all beat to crap but still going. We also have the requisite cooking oil machines (the 300D and SD) all over the place, being a place with a "green consciousness", and a couple of 60s coupes (the "heavies" I call 'em). Never see pontons anymore though. Plenty of V-8 SLs, too, most of them acceptable-looking.

Unlike a fintail, when a V-8 SL is neglected, it STOPS.
    Yep that would be a W111, or if you are very lucky, a W112.

I only see one other than mine very rarely too, and most of them are the lower line models.
    I'd move to Germany simply to have shows like this - this gathering was one of several this year for the 50th anniversary of the fintail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaHfwS0wej8

And the oldest taxi in Berlin - a 190D fintail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlBssuzli7Y

Older sedans do keep soldiering on, so long as they are a 4, 6, or diesel, they will slowly decay, rather than randomly die like a V8. I think the sedans are just like the SLs you mention - when the time comes, they simply stop.
    -A Porsche 914/4, medium blue with the chromed bumpers in very nice shape, looked like a 1.7 liter car not the late 2.0.

-BMW 2002, Ink Blue, clean and straight.

It's nice to great cars get saved.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,555
    from mass to watch our nephew from michigan play ice hockey,
    a silverish C43 AMG with a marker plate 'M THIS'. :P
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
    That's a good one...and a rare car.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,285
    I am sure it was a Karmen Ghia sitting along the highway for sale. Bright red. There was a pine bush obscuring the car part of the time but it sure looked like one from the 80s.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• The two youtube links are great. As I already posted I am a big Mercedes Benz fan and would definitely love to join such an event. Besides this I am a big fan of Germany. I have been there three times already and I really loved it.
    Recently I needed a new car insurance and due to this I did a little research in the internet. Due to this I found a page on which you can compare car insurances between USA and Germany. It is actually good to see what other countries have.
    I share the same sympathies regarding MB and Germany. I will be there for a few weeks this fall, and for the time I have a rental car, it will be a MB - there are few non-MB cars I will accept :shades:

When I rent a car, I usually decline the insurance sold by the rental company, but this time I bought it, as it will be an expensive car.

The differences in licensing standards are interesting there, too - a bit more demanding than in NA.
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,440
    Did you book your car already fintail?

boomchek: driven 10,000+ cars, sold 1000+ cars, owned 50+ cars

Yep, 9 days of an LDAR booked from the Sixt station at the central MB dealer in Munich. That should get me an E350 CDi, but I would accept a coupe, or an upgrade to an S/CL/SL (German rental fleets are amazing). I wouldn't smile about being downgraded into a smaller engined car, as I have a lot of driving planned and I want to go fast :shades: . I have heard that sometimes booking in that class will get you an "upgrade" into an ML, but that will be a point of contention with me and I will gladly take a taxi to another location, even the airport, to not have an SUV.
    IIRC the last year the Ghia was sent to the US was 1974, it couldn't meet the safety requirements.
    Nice. I guess you'd get the new generation E class. I think for me, a big part of the vacation would be just driving the car. Sightseeing would be almost secondary. lol

Yep, I know the W212 has been in German fleets for a couple months now. Most of the 350 series cars are very well optioned, too - nav, LED running lights, full leather, etc.
    The car is probably the part of the trip I am looking forward to the most. I estimated my driving and I will probably drive over 3000km in those 9 days, so it will be worth it. I will have more than a week before I get the car to hang out and look around...then I get to drive around. A few days I will be driving a lot, maybe 8 hours...but I will enjoy it.

This is a German forum devoted to discussing rental cars...no English version, but it can be translated online, or if one has a moderate understanding, it shouldn't be a problem

Most surprising deal I have seen - Sixt has a promotion for the new M3, 99 Euro/day. Could make a fun weekend.
    Wow, that would be fun. an M3! There's only one place in Vancuver that rents exotics, but it's like $1k a day for a believable Lambo replica :lemon: but it's still a replica!