Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    edited May 2019
    andre1969 said:

Remember those old Volvo ads where they used to brag about how strong the roofs were? Wonder if they got the idea from this?

Did they shore up the body with reinforcements like Volvo did?

In this case it looks like the car bodies above are a little off center rather than being strictly straight above the car with the door open. How much of the weight is actually on the car underneath likely isn't the full amount. I noticed the gentleman doesn't have the front door open. AND the car beneath the one with the open door isn't being crushed either. However, the door might not open--a Chevrolet?

And another question is do the cars above have engines and transmissions or is that a stack of bodies without the motor/transmissions.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,669
    That's "Choose and Remove", don't you know...
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,026
    I always liked those '69-70 Marauders too; but I think you had to get the "X-100" to get buckets and console. But nice lines and differentiated from the Montereys and Marquis' of the same years. I remember some of those Marauders had flat black decklids and sheetmetal on the side of the decklid--not a fan of that but on a black car I guess it would be less-noticeable.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    andre1969 said:

Could have been a good candidate for the Darwin Awards.

Not to mention, who wears high heels and dresses up that nicely to go to the junkyard!
    Hey, it's a great use of irony!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    In rush hour traffic tonight, saw a pristine 77-79 Olds 98, kind of a bright greenish gold - not sure if an original color as it looked almost too nice to not be a repaint. It had incorrect but not too awful chrome wheels, kind of an urban style restomod, but not really offensive, nice to see it being looked after.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,979

I always liked those '69-70 Marauders too; but I think you had to get the "X-100" to get buckets and console. But nice lines and differentiated from the Montereys and Marquis' of the same years. I remember some of those Marauders had flat black decklids and sheetmetal on the side of the decklid--not a fan of that but on a black car I guess it would be less-noticeable.

I thought the matte black treatment on the deck lid and rear sheet metal was standard but I learned today it was an option. Looked good with certain colours. They were cars not seen very often locally. The Cord-inspired front end styling looked great to me and the X-100 was very nice inside, though base models were pretty ordinary.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,669
    There was a short period where Mercury was the 'hot' Ford.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    I especially liked the 1970 Cyclone Spoiler.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

And I don’t care that it’s an automatic!

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    That's an incredibly rare car; most 428 CJs were installed in Eliminators. I always lusted after an XR7-G.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

The Cobra emblem on the dashboard of that one just looks wrong on a Cougar.

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Passed this today after meeting @Michaell for lunch.

I just noticed there's a bonus obscure vehicle in the side mirror, and really an interesting contrast. The best and the worst of GM in one picture. :smile:
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 239,554
    jpp75 said:

Passed this today after meeting @Michaell for lunch.

Sweet!

Was a great day to have it out.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

On the road today saw a 70s style custom 62 Impala, 67 Mustang that looked like a 6, and a Model A phaeton, original style. RHD.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    My first comment is still, 'You passed a Pontiac minivan?' :D
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,920
    I do like that 60 Cadillac. Saw a red Honda CRZ. Recent, yes, but far and few between.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

I do like that 60 Cadillac. Saw a red Honda CRZ. Recent, yes, but far and few between.

It looked great, as @michaell noted above it was the perfect day for it here.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    Came here to post I saw the same model caddy. But red with white top, and wide whites. Really wide. Of all places, street parked in Charleston. Man did that overflow the spot!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Great color on the Caddy.

There may actually be worse GM than the Montana minivan.... but it would be in the running!

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I still see Buick Rendezvous crossovers on the road and believe they are somewhat related to that era GM minivan.
    berri said:

I still see Buick Rendezvous crossovers on the road and believe they are somewhat related to that era GM minivan.

And the lovely Aztec

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,638
    Were those GM minivans really *that* bad? Or just overhwelmingly mediocre? That's my perception of a lot of GM's products from that general timeframe. They weren't necessarily horrible, but just weren't all that great either. That's the vibe I always got from my Dad's '03 Regal.

Back when I bought my '00 Intrepid, in late 1999, I looked at a few Impalas and Malibus they also had on the lot. This was a Chevy/Dodge/Isuzu dealer, so that had a bit of variety. The Impalas were all LS models, and a bit pricey, but they just didn't do anything for me. One of the Malibus actually gave me a headache when the salesman opened the door, and the built-up outgassing from all that plastic started to pour out. Although, admittedly, the Intrepid had that "outgassing" as well. Seemed to last about a week. Back then I lived in a condo that had a garage right below the living room, and you could actually smell the car, from inside the house!

About a year and a half later, I had an '01 Malibu as a rental while on a business trip. About the best way to sum it up was "meh". It wasn't horrible, but just didn't inspire anything, either. It just seemed like an appliance, to get you from point a to point b. Something you buy 1-2 years old, so you miss a good chunk of the depreciation. Although, in retrospect, that would have been a good idea to do with the Intrepid, too!
    edited May 2019
    sda said:

berri said:

And the lovely Aztec
    A fine, quality automobile!! :'(

sda said:

andre1969 said:

I was thumbing through another R&T from 1973 yesterday, and found a test they did of a Pontiac Grand Am. I didn't look through it that thoroughly, but from the quick scan, it looked like they weren't that impressed with it. The main stats I remember was that it had a Pontiac 400-2bbl, with all of 170 hp, an automatic, and a 3.08:1 axle. It did 0-60 in 10.7 seconds.

That was a pretty good example of how far performance was dropping in the 1970's. Back in the 60's, Consumer Reports would often test a Pontiac Catalina, with a 389-2bbl in the early years, 400-2bbl in the later. 0-60 usually came up in 10 seconds flat, and that's CR testing it, who was a bit less aggressive in their launch techniques than the R&T, MT, C&D, etc would be. Those Catalinas usually had tall 2.56:1 axles, as well.

I think one big difference though, is that the Grand Am that was tested had a/c, whereas I doubt those 60's Catalinas were so equipped. And even with the a/c off, it still added weight to the car, and drag on the engine. I imagine the '73 Grand Am probably outweighed your typical '60's Catalina, as well.

My parents bought a used 73 Grand Am 4dr for my sisters to drive. It was the 400 2bbl, ac, single exhaust. Not sure what axle it had, though it was a relaxed highway cruiser. It was peppy, but under full acceleration it felt winded. It got awful gas mileage, typically 8-10 mpg. It was a good driving car and served its purpose well.
    I have several reference books for Pontiac, Olds, Cadillac and others. Out of curiosity I looked up the '73 Pontiac Grand Am. Less than 9k 4dr Grand Ams were produced '73 and each year less. Dad paid around $700 for the Grand Am in '81 and it had around 65k. It was a good driver, rode and handled well. Unfortunately the real wood veneer was already cracking and coming off, and the dash cracked. My sisters drove it hard and didn't show it much love. I was the only one to wash it and give it a little care. In retrospect, I wish I had asked dad to sell it to me and kept it just for fun. It was not a car you saw very often, and less so now.

I remember seeing a Grand Am sedan at the car show in Hershey, around 2003 or so. I guess that's a sign of how rare they are, if I can specifically remember that one, but no others. I remember it had a daily driver look about it, and was loaded up with some boxes in the back seat. I think it had the 400-2bbl.

I wonder if most of the sedans just had the 400-2bbl, whereas the coupes were more likely to get the hotter engines? Regardless, it would definitely be a cool car to have, nowadays!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    My friend with red 911 is on his way home with his newly acquired Porsche.
    They wanted to stop by and pick up the garage door opener they left with us while they were away.
    It's raining out and my wife is heading out to get her nails done, so she told them she'll just put it in their mail box.
    His wife calls it the bumble bee. I'll just listen for it to come up the street, so I can get a glimpse as it drives by.
    I'm guessing it's going to be knockout.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    What I recall most about those bad old days GM minivans was awful crash test performance. I bet the interiors were a peach, too. Getting thin on the ground even here in the land rust forgot.
    Driving around Charleston a driver quality 1970 mustang notchback. I liked it.

And a couple cool 1950s vintage intercity buses repurposed for tours and charters. One carrying a wedding party.

edited May 2019
    ab348 said:

sda said:

berri said:

And the lovely Aztec
    A fine, quality automobile!! :'(

I’ve probably told this story but in case I haven’t...

I was on a business trip in Richmond VA and was going to lunch with the team down there. The local woman said she knew a great BBQ place and she would drive us. So we head out to parking lot and there was an Aztec in that burnt orange color.... I said to the other guy who was with us “God, who would drive this thing”. You guessed it, it was our co-workers! She said yes it’s butt ugly, but it’s versatile and has been reliable. We all got a good chuckle out of it.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Our local coffee shop closed, so no more cars n coffee, there. However, local brewery had “Gears and Beers”, today. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Riviera

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

914 2.0

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Celica X 2

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I wanted one of these bad, in the ‘80s

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Big Lambo

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Speedster!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

andre1969 said:

Were those GM minivans really *that* bad? Or just overhwelmingly mediocre? That's my perception of a lot of GM's products from that general timeframe. They weren't necessarily horrible, but just weren't all that great either. That's the vibe I always got from my Dad's '03 Regal.

Back when I bought my '00 Intrepid, in late 1999, I looked at a few Impalas and Malibus they also had on the lot. This was a Chevy/Dodge/Isuzu dealer, so that had a bit of variety. The Impalas were all LS models, and a bit pricey, but they just didn't do anything for me. One of the Malibus actually gave me a headache when the salesman opened the door, and the built-up outgassing from all that plastic started to pour out. Although, admittedly, the Intrepid had that "outgassing" as well. Seemed to last about a week. Back then I lived in a condo that had a garage right below the living room, and you could actually smell the car, from inside the house!

About a year and a half later, I had an '01 Malibu as a rental while on a business trip. About the best way to sum it up was "meh". It wasn't horrible, but just didn't inspire anything, either. It just seemed like an appliance, to get you from point a to point b. Something you buy 1-2 years old, so you miss a good chunk of the depreciation. Although, in retrospect, that would have been a good idea to do with the Intrepid, too!

I never spent any time in the GM minivans of that era. I had a good friend in high school whose parents had a first gen TransSport and I remember it being mediocre at best and they hated it.

Overall my comment was about how GM went from the "standard of the world" with cars like the Cadillac to mediocre at best, a stigma which they may never overcome.
    I wanted the newer celica real bad. I owned a celica of the earlier series. A white hatch. With a boatload of rust.

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,026
    edited May 2019
    The 'dustbuster' minivans were distinctive, although the deep top-of-instrument panel was a turnoff for me. They were the first van to offer a power sliding door and have modular seating. The Saturn-type body panels are a plus IMHO. They didn't have the paint delamination issues that GM and Ford had on steel bodies at the time (and Honda had ten or fifteen years later). When I see a dustbuster now in NE OH, 25 or more years old, they usually look pretty decent.

I think the mid-cycle refresh was an improvement, and I like that then they started offering the Beretta Z26 aluminum wheels on them.

Perception lags reality, as we know. I simply don't like any compact sedan as well as my '17 Cruze LT. Quiet, almost-elegant interior, tons of rear legroom and trunk room, and some chrome outside. My Toyota and Honda-loving buddy seemed surprised riding about 60 miles in mine a few weeks ago. Too bad that now it's too late for the Cruze.
    edited May 2019
    My Aunt had a first generation Lumina APV. I remember my cousin and I driving it around when his car was broken (a very often occurence). It seemed pretty quick for what it was and saw some stupid teenage antics. It was a lease, but they bought it out because it had a good bit of body damage from my aunt hitting something and not wanting to turn it into insurance.

I think it puked a tranny at some point and was junked.

Perception lags reality, as we know. I simply don't like any compact sedan as well as my '17 Cruze LT. Quiet, almost-elegant interior, tons of rear legroom and trunk room, and some chrome outside. My Toyota and Honda-loving buddy seemed surprised riding about 60 miles in mine a few weeks ago. Too bad that now it's too late for the Cruze.

I haven't been in the latest Cruze yet, but the interior room was one of the things I liked about the first-gen Cruze. It felt bigger, and roomier and more comfortable inside, than most compacts at the time.
    My paternal grandparents had a facelift dustbuster, a Lumina around 1994. I don't recall it having any issues, but they generally kept cars no more than 4 or 5 years. I remember it was a somewhat tealy blue color and had very 90s looking what I think were wheels. The dustbusters to me seemed to be another example of having a cool idea, but not the best execution.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    On I75 in north edge of TN, a dark teal blue VW bug. Small taillights. Relatively small bumper with a little space between it and the body. Looked perfect at 70 mph from opposite side of the road. The gentleman and lady were outside with the "hood" up. Maybe it just needed to cool off in the hilly area.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

1980-81 Chrysler LeBaron sedan, in police car guise. Unfortunately, it was on that Netflix Ted Bundy movie, and the scene it was in took place in roughly 1975-76!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    kyfdx said:

Speedster!

$1 million bucks, if real.