Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Option Envy on Display - 2015 Audi A3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2015 in Audi
imageOption Envy on Display - 2015 Audi A3 Long-Term Road Test

Do have 'option envy' each time you see a button blank on your car's dashboard? We have a whole row of them in our 2015 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro S Tronic and they drive me nuts.

Read the full story here

Comments

• misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    Is it just me, or do button blanks seem to show up more on German cars? It seems that other automakers are more successful at hiding how much you cheaped-out on the options. Of course, this could be entirely in my imagination.

I like all of your suggestions for the blanks. Also, "Ludicrous Speed".
  • darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    Oddly, those are the same functions for the toggles I have on my MINI Cooper, plus one to raise/lower the head-up display. The only "blank" switch I have, is for the heated windshield, which I wish I did have, but which is not offered in the U.S..
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Pizza
    Jets
    Machine guns, rocket launcher, oil slick, smoke screen (Spy Hunter buttons)
  • bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    As someone pointed out in another thread, some blanks may only be used in particular markets, and the manufacturer doesn't want to produce different parts to disguise that. Ironically, there have been some cases where a blank indicates a higher-trim car and not a lower--in cars that offered a variety of lighting options, those with auto-adjusting HIDs, e. g., didn't need a switch for manually adjusting the angle based on the car's load state (although I wonder how many owners bothered with that in cars so equipped).
  • mlin32mlin32 Member Posts: 35
    The blank next to the hazard switch may just be intentionally blank in case Audi decides for future use to add some functionality to it. Otherwise Mr. Walton got it spot on: drive select, Auto Start-stop off, Park Assist, Parking sensors, blank, DSC off, screen up/down, and airbag status light (US/CA only). S3 doesnt seem to add any use to the blank either.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    edited January 2015
    You keep the climate control at 80F? That seems unusually hot to me. Or is it a case of, the car will heat up faster if it's set to a higher temp? I keep my climate at 68F and it pretty much never budges from there.
  • mojo_mikemojo_mike Member Posts: 11
    Audi really does make you feel like a cheap ba$tard by having these blank buttons.
  • mojo_mikemojo_mike Member Posts: 11
    So even fully loaded, you still have 1 blank button? Geez
  • mrvtecskimrvtecski Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2015
    Needs a Turbo Boost button a la Knight Rider