Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Brake Pad, ABC and Check-Engine Warning Lights - 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

13»

Comments

• mrlcjmrlcj Posts: 1
    I'm going to miss the CL65. Mainly because I get a good laugh from posts like these!
  • shitzngigglesshitzngiggles Posts: 1
    edited August 2017
    I understand this is car that needs costly repairs more frequently than a Camry, but it cracks me up how much people seem willing to pay for brake jobs, oil changes and new plugs. As far as I'm concerned, most people should be able to do three things with a car when it comes to general maintenance/repair...change the oil/fluids, change the plugs/wires and service the brakes. The bread and butter income of the auto service industry takes advantage of things that anyone with any mechanical knowledge and ability should be able to do themselves.

For this car, you can get the NGK's for $13, or get Bosch plugs that will typically work just as well (iridium plugs have been proven to perform no better than traditional platinum, although they may wear longer) for much less if you really want to save $$. The brakes pads that are formulated the same as OE can be had for $80 fronts and $50 rear, or you can go cheaper but you'll be changing pads more frequently and the rotors as well. Unless we're talking electrical gremlins, and the notoriously expensive and always troublesome MB air suspension system, you can save yourself a lot of money spending an afternoon doing things yourself for a change. Even the coil pack repair can be done a lot cheaper than it needs to cost if you want to spend the effort to save a lot of money.

Yes, MB's are expensive to maintain compared to a Nissan Sentra, but not nearly as expensive as a lot of people allow them to be. If you think the future cost of repair will set you back $20k for your ownership of a used CL65, if you decide to take care of the things you can to fix yourself for much less, it will end up more like $5k instead.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,098
    edited August 2017
    You do know you are replying to a nearly 2.5 year old thread, don't you? Regardless, you make some good points. A lot of people subject themselves to anodyne vehicles and develop a deeply ingrained "sour grapes" mentality towards truly entertaining cars in order to allow them to survive the experience of continually driving a soul-killing appliance...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i