Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Austin Road Trip, Day 4 - 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in BMW
imageAustin Road Trip, Day 4 - 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

An Edmunds editor embarks on a road trip to Austin, Texas and back, in the long-term 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo, including driving impressions and MPG.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DebunkerDebunker Member Posts: 49
    This kind of drama is simply unacceptable in a new and quite expensive car. Imagine if you had failed completely in the middle of nowhere. I've had a lot of cars in my life, and not one has pulled this stunt. If they can't get the drivetrain right, they should buy them from Lexus and not tell anyone.
  • chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    I feel that instances like this where a simple ignition cycle fixes the problem (or at least appears to) indicates that the Germans still have their issues with electrical bugs and glitches (I recall a somewhat similar problem with the longterm CLA). This is one of the main reasons why I'd be hesitant to own a German car outside of its warranty period. Electrical issues can be extremely complicated and hard to isolate, which could lead to higher repair bills and more headaches for the owner.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    edited February 2015
    Impressive fuel economy. Spooky drivetrain behavior. I would not be a happy yuppie if that happened to me.

That X6 is a foul piece of excrement. I saw one just today making a left turn across my field of view. Looked like a fat blue goldfish cruising around a fishbowl. If there's a gas guzzler tax to punish those buying cars contrary to social conscience, there should most certainly be an Eyesore Tax for the X6.
  • dvanosdvanos Member Posts: 52
    Looking forward for the diagnoses on this since I'm considering a new 2 series.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    My first thought was the dust. If it was really that bad, maybe the car had a hiccup from it?
  • tornado542_tornado542_ Member Posts: 9
    This is a common failure with these new BMW engines (4 cyl turbo) usually involved needing new turbo or VANOS seals.

See below for post. Edmunds should bring more visibility to this issue. I worry they wont because BMW gave them the car and they would want to avoid bad press.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667636