Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda3

Comments

• Options
    dmundy1dmundy1 Member Posts: 37
    Since we were going in opposite directions on a freeway (albeit only moving about 25km/h) I did not get to admire the 3 for very long, but IMO it looked much better than the Vibe/Matrix, not as micro van looking as those twins. And I say that as my wife is about to pick up her new Matrix next week.
  • Options
    wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    Hmm, those Vancouver port pics from earlier this week had a red Mazda3 Sport, so maybe they've now reached Toronto. I'm definitely gonna head over to Mazda Canada's office one of these days.
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    I'll drop by just after 5PM tomorrow after work. This is good news! A Mazda3 spotted in the T-Dot :)

Dinu
  • Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    don't forget to bring your 10 Mega pixel camera.
  • Options
    "don't forget to bring your 10 Mega pixel camera."

The one that I don't have you mean, right? :)

Preston: How much is a decent digicam?

Dinu
  • Options
    creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    "Starlight green is 28A."

I like light green. It may also look good w/ rear black lights like how those old Passat & Jetta w/ black rear panels.

Isn't that color suppose to be called Sepang Green on the Mazda6 & only comes w/ beige or black interior?

So will it match any of the 2.3 model's black/red or blue/black two tone fabric? Or are green colors simply not available w/ the 2.3?

Thanx.
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    to the Sage Green used on the 2003 MPV. Sepang Green is more medium in hue. The German Mazda site lists *Terrakotta* as the Copper color.

That is an interesting question, do they use black/red or black/blue trim with the green? Maybe they have a black/beige or black/green they haven't mentioned yet? Another Mazda goof!

Newcomers, check post #1554 for "What we know so far" specs.

One post said the MZ3 Sport will be introduced first in late November - early December, followed by the MZ3 Sedan in January.

fowler3
  • Options
    dinu01:

There's a good chance I'm going to Mazda Canada tomorrow afternoon. I don't know the exact time but it'll definitely be before 5pm (or else we'd meet). I'm going to bring my 2megapixel camera.

Honestly though, I don't expect to find anything because it's the weekend, and probably the Mazda guys would have taken the cars home for testing and showing off (I have a friend in product development for Toyota Canada, so I know some of the manufacturers' practices with testcars).

Unfortunately, because of where I work and live, there's just no way I could make it there on a weekday during office hours (that would be the best time). But we'll see what I find tomorrow (I hope I can even sneak into the underground on a weekend).

creakid1:

I don't know the color code to the Mazda6 Sepang Green (because the color isn't available in Canada), but I would guess that the Mazda3 starlight green is not the same as Sepang Green. The reason for my guess is that Flat Rock simply doesn't produce the same colour code as the Japanese-assembled Mazda's (or at least I have yet to see an example of it). Even the Mazda6 silver has a different color code to the silver on the Pro and Mazda3.

Starlight green could be the same as the MPV's sage green, I'll try to look up the sage green color code to compare.

fowler3:

I'm almost 100% sure the Mazda3 Sport will get to N. America in the Nov-Dec timeframe. The Mazda3 sedan should make it too, unless there are catastrophic assembly problems (like with the RX-8 delay).
  • Options
    I just looked up the MPV's sage green, it's got color code 24V. The Mazda3 starlight green is 28A, so they're different.
  • Options
    That MPV's light Sage Green is more gloomy than the pleasant Lagunagreen(28A Starlight green) in the German spec.

It looks depressingly grandma-ish from the MazdaUSA.com MPV color chart.

I'm afraid the Starlight green looks too off to be available w/ the blue/black fabric, & I can't stand that black/red fabric anyway.
  • Options
    pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    I am curious about if the silver, white, and red is all-new or if they are already used on other Mazdas? Are the Mazda6 silver, white, and red different from the Mazda3 silver, white, and red? Or will these colors on the Mazda3 match up with the colors on the RX-8?

Also someone who has seen all the specs on the Mazda3, can you tell me how many watts the stereo system will have? Will the 4 speaker system have tweeters or just the 6 speaker?

And can someone tell me if the braking performance will be hurt much between the i trim and s trim? The i trim has smaller disc brakes compared to the s trim, how much will braking be affected because of this? Anyone have any guesses?
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    ...and whilst looking at the stereo specs, will SIRIUS be a factory or even dealer installed option?
  • Options
    pzev:

Most of the Mazda3's colours are common with the RX-8, and nothing is common with the N. American-spec Mazda6. Go to Bruno's website for more color info (he's got the color codes and the names, which you'll recognize from the RX-8).

Braking will be about the same (because the 2.0l is lighter).

Depending on the trim level, the audio system will have 4 full-range speakers (one on each door), or 4 full-range speakers + 2 tweeters (one on inside of each front door mirror).

johnclineii:

No satellite radio. But Ford signed a deal with one of the companies (SIRIUS I believe) and I've heard that Mazda's may start seeing it as early as the '05 model year (Ford will begin having it in '04)..
  • Options
    I keep forgetting to ask this. I've read that the Protege has slightly higher insurance rates compared to other economy cars such as the Civic and Corolla. Can anyone tell me if this is true or not? Also just curious if anyone knows if the Mazda6 has significantly different rates compared to the 626? I'm curious if the Mazda3 will have different rates compared to the Protege. I know it's too early to say but just wondering if anyone has any guesses on this. With the price increasing some will this affect rates? Will the better crash test scores help any? Any info would be appreciated.
  • Options
    So the red and silver is the same as the RX-8? The RX-8 doesn't have white available in the US so what car can I use as a comparison? Is it the same code as the MPV's white? Or the same as the Protege? I'm not too familiar what the paint codes are for these cars so does it match up with either of these? Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    As Preston said, 16W, 22V, 27A, 27B, 29Y are same as RX-8 colors

pzev: can you see any difference between MPV's white and Protegé's? They are the same "Pure White" A4D.
  • Options
    Here is my comments on brake.

First, as Preston say, the 2.3L is a little bit more heavy (I mean the whole car, because I doubt the engine alone would make any huge difference in weight).

Second, what is the point to have a powerful brake put on cars with narrow tires? The brake stops the wheels from spinning, but the four tire patch contacts are actually what stop the car. The 2.0L is equipped with 195mm tires (the 2.3L with 205mm tires), therefore it doesn't help much to have bigger brake rotors on the 2.0L, beside making the ABS works more often.

When you look at the European spec, the 2.0L get bigger rotors AND also larger tires (205mm).

Bruno
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    It varies widely. Several people have posted on the Protege forums here claiming that their Civic insurance was very high as well. The Protege might be higher for you where you live, or another economy car might be higher. In 2002 North Carolina upgraded the symbol for the Protege from economy car to premium economy car. This raised my rates by about $100 a year. Lots of people reference the Protege's average crash test scores as THE reason that their Protege's insurance rates are high. The truth is crash tests are just part of the equation. Insurance companies also look at replacement costs, loss rates, and regional trends.

I would expect the Mazda3 to have a similar insurance rates to the Protege, at least at first. If the crash tests, especially the low speed bumper tests, are good, you could expect the cost to go down a bit. The Mazda6 did very well recently in this test, so we can hope the Mazda3 will as well. If Mazda fails to include the passive anti-theft devices like they put in the Miata, then theft loss rates could be high making the premiums go up. We'll just have to wait and see.
  • Options
    On the site you posted the Mazda3 white was listed as "Purweiss" (A4D) but the Miata and MPV white is listed as "Weiß" with no paint code. Also the Miata and MPV's white looks like a cream color and you can actually see it where as the white for the Mazda3 is the same color as the background and blends in. So the Mazda3 is Pure White like the current Protege? Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Also it confused me since Pure White looks like it might be called "Arctic White" now. Since I didn't know anything about the paint codes that's why I asked.

In response to the braking. As audia8q mentioned earlier, 16" alloys might be bundled with the power package. Won't these 16" alloys and tires be exactly the same as the 16" alloys standard on the s trim 2.3? That's why I asked about the braking. The 2.0 i trim may have a 50 pound advantage or so but otherwise they should be exactly the same, same tires and everything, except the 2.0 will have smaller discs compared to the 2.3. I do realize a lot of 2.3 may have the sport package and 17" alloys but comparing 16" 2.0 versus 16" 2.3 I was wondering if the smaller discs would make a noticeable difference. Thanks for the responses.
  • Options
    I have also heard a rumor that the P5 is more expensive to insure than the Matrix. Then just for fun, last month I fill out an e-quotation from Progressive for both P5 and XRS under the exact same condition. Guess what, the P5 comes up $26 cheaper for 6 months of insurance.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. If a lot of states have already classified it as premium economy car then I doubt any price increase will affect the rates. The Canadian s trim also had an anti-theft alarm as standard equipment I believe so we might see the same, but the current ES trim has it standard as well so that probably won't matter too much. On the other hand the Mazda3 has an engine immobilizer where as the Protege didn't right? Yeah there's just too many variables involved. On a side note, I've also heard the same thing about the Hyundai Elantra. Like the Protege I've always read that it has higher than average insurance rates just like the Protege. Of course the Elantra is not a premium economy car and I expected it to be average since it's so cheap but apparently the poor crash test scores or something else is a factor as well.

On a side note, has Civic thefts reduced any since the engine immobilizer was made standard on the 2001 model? I know Civics are popular to steal so does the engine immobilizer cut down on thefts a lot? Since the Mazda3 will have one as well I was just curious if it'll cut down on thefts as well, and in return hopefully it'll lower insurance rates a little.
  • Options
    Yeah, all the info I got about the insurance rates was from magazines and sources on the internet where they make general statements about the insurance rates. In every source I ran into the Protege was always listed as "higher than average" insurance rates or something to that effect. The Civic surprisingly always had "average" and the Corolla was the same as well. I guess in the real world things can be different. I don't know what the Matrix is classified as though.
  • Options
    pzev:

Don't worry about the brakes so much, they will be very good with both 2.0l and 2.3l, and are much bigger than the competition. Tires are also P205 for both the 16 and 17-inch alloys.

As Bruno says, the best brakes will be in the euro-spec 2.0l engine, which gets P205 tires and the larger (300mm f, 280mm r) discs. And I think I've read somewhere that this setup can do the 100km/h-0km/h stop in 37m (which is absolutely amazing). I'll try looking up the source for that.
  • Options
    - i trim: 195/65R15 standard, optional 205/55R16
    - s trim: 205/55R16 standard, optional 205/50R17

Yes it's overlap, but in general the "s" gets better wheels and better brake. Please compare apple to apple, you get what you pay for.

Preston is correct about the stopping number, it's on the Mazda Press Release (end of the Chassis chapter on my site).
  • Options
    "Please compare apple to apple, you get what you pay for."

That's my point though. As I mentioned before, it looks like the 2.0 and 2.3 will only be seperated by around $500. I didn't think the braking would be affected much but I figured I would ask anyway. The only reason I'll get the 2.0 is for the beige interior, otherwise I might as well get the 2.3. The only other advantage is better fuel mileage and maybe lower insurance rates. The 2.3 has a lot of stuff I want though standard such as 16" alloys and the anti-theft alarm which I'll definetly have on the 2.0. Not to mention bigger discs, more HP and torque, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, foglights, and lots of other minor stuff. If there truly is a $500 difference (give or take a $100) then stepping up to the s trim seems like a no brainer. I'll keep this car for hopefully a long time so $500 is worth it for this stuff. To me these cars are essentially the same except for the engine.
  • Options
    Sedan:

2.0 "i" trim: $15,050

2.3 "s" trim: $16,925

$15,050 + $850 A/C + $600 power package = $16,500

Difference of $425

The A/C costs $850 on a Protege DX so that's probably right. Not sure what the power package would cost but does $600 sound right for power windows, locks, and mirrors? I would assume it also has remote keyless entry with it. Now if alloys are bundled with it it could be even more than that. Keep in mind the "s" trim has A/C, power everything, and probably remote keyless entry and anti-theft alarm standard. Not to mention 16" alloys that might raise that $600 price up some if they are bundled with it.

For $425 more you get a 2.3 engine, bigger disc brakes, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter, foglights, 16" alloys, anti-theft alarm, 6 speaker stereo, and who knows what else. I have no problem with them being close in price as long as the prices are reasonable, but if they charge $850 for A/C and $600 for a power package with NO alloys added into the price yet (and still not sure if remote keyless entry and/or anti-theft alarm are included in the package) then I see no point whatsoever in getting a 2.0 except for fuel mileage reasons, lower insurance, or someone simply doesn't want power windows or remote keyless entry and doesn't care if they have 15" steel wheels. $425 is a bargain for all the extras you get, or the 2.0 trim is overpriced, however you want to look at it.

I have to give credit to Mazda though for making disc brakes standard on all models and not pulling a Honda by adding a moonroof standard on the 2.3 models like Honda does with the Civic EX. If you have to screw up the option packages then do it, but don't resort to a Honda strategy.
  • Options
    You guys don't get 17" alloys on the s trim?

Dinu
  • Options
    it comes with the sport package.
  • Options
    Thanks!

Dinu
  • Options
    Thanks Dinu. Funny, "More car for the money" says the title. But what kind of money? It seems Canadian price is known to informed people.
  • Options
    Sorry.

Dinu
  • Options
    "The suspension (MacPherson-type up front, multi-link rear) delivers a taut ride that some North American backsides may find TOO firm, but which I prefer."

If it's just ride harshness, replacing w/ higher profile tires or 16" would do.

If it's the ride being too taut, em..., I might look for a different set of shocks, as I hope the springs won't need to be replaced.

Instead of increasing the swaybar diameter over Focus II's, Mazda chose to change the swaybar mounting points wider apart, & hence, creating a rigid effect even over small bumps when both tires aren't hitting them the same time. Mazda claims such early lateral-roll control will give the "simultaneous yaw & roll" handling characteristic rather than Focus's "roll first then yaw", but then even the minor road irregularities will annoy the passengers.
  • Options
    "...the 2.0 trim is overpriced, however you want to look at it."

The 2.0 is even rougher than the 1.6, so it's a rip off at any price.
  • Options
    "If Mazda fails to include the passive anti-theft devices like they put in the Miata, then theft loss rates could be high making the premiums go up."

Who wants to steal a Mazda3 in this country anyway? Most people, & especially the thieves, got not taste.
  • Options
    Make 2.3 the minimum displacement for N.A., where there's no tax penalty above 2.0.

Let the 2.3 PZEV be the std engine. Ford is already doing so in California, so it's already EPA certified.

There's nothing wrong w/ having the base engine w/ displacement as large as the top-of-line one. Even from '90-94, the Protege had a 1.8 16v on the base model & 1.8 16v high-output on the sport LX.
  • Options
    Always had large engines. The 1.8L in the early 90s was a large engine for a car this size.

Dinu
  • Options
    I had to stay at work until 8PM tonight. Started at 9AM!!! I can't complain that there aren't enough hours, so at least the fact that we're busy is good :)

I'm curious if you dropped-by the Mazda Head Office today. Did you see anything we'd be interested in (like oh... a Mazda3)?

Dinu
  • Options
    Bad News:

I couldn't head over there today (Sat) because something came up.

Good News:

I have to go to Ajax this Monday afternoon for work issues, so I'll be going by the head office around 4pm - I think I'll be making a small detour off the 401! I'll bring my camera.
  • Options
    I'll check back with you guys later : gotta go study today (:

Dinu
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    a decent digital camera shouldn't be over $200 for a 2 megapixel model and that's what I have. I have a Kodak EasyShare CX4230. It went bust a few weeks ago but Kodak was really nice about it and fixed it for free thru a warranty claim. If I had to buy a digital camera again, i'd either choose the Kodak EasyShare DX4330 or one of those Fuji Film models.

About the 3, does anybody know if the hatch model will even offer a lighter interior other than black? I'd like a gray interior or even a beige interior but it seems like the hatch only comes with a black interior- just like the Vibe/Matrix. I would like the darkest blue with a light gray/beige interior and wonder if Mazda offers that option on the 3. I know on the MPV you can get a gray interior with Midnight Blue, so we'll see.
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    You are out of luck, all the 3's come with black interiors: black w/red patterned fabric or black w/blue with blue patterned fabric or solid black leather on some models. Makes it easier to choose. It's retro-styling -- Henry Ford said, "You can have any color you want as long as it's black."

From a recent car review: "Like most short-wheelbase cars, it has a hard ride, which can become a bump-fest on less-than-perfect roads. The manufacturer says young people prefer that ride. So do masochists of all ages.

It goes from zero to 60 miles per hour eventually. Good ride on good streets. Bad ride on rough streets."

Is this the Mazda3?

No, it's the Toyota Scion xA. The same article said manufacturers are making a big mistake directing their marketing to 20-something "youths" who can't keep up car payments. Mitsubishi's advertising with finger-snapping, swaying-to-music young people brought in many buyers, but ended up with Mitsubishi having to take a $304 million loss on default payments and taking the cars back.

Should be a lesson to Mazda and Toyota.

fowler3
  • Options
    "Like most short-wheelbase cars, it has a hard ride, which can become a bump-fest on less-than-perfect roads. The manufacturer says young people prefer that ride. So do masochists of all ages...Good ride on good streets. Bad ride on rough streets."

What is this? Some kind of torture test like rodeo challenge or eardrum-breaking stereo blasting to help the hearing-aid sales? Only loser Japanese designs such as the Suzuki Samuri would do a thing like that. Even the Fiat 128-derived Yugo GV rides like a dream by comparison.

The Euro approach shows modesty & depth, literally. Take any old Mercedes or Peugeot & ram it through potholes and speed bumps. You'll see this what seemly superficially harsh-riding "macho" car actually remains serene or even smoother the faster it goes through them. Now thats the real big man! "Bad ride on good streets. Good ride on rough streets."

That's all the hope we got on the reliable Mazda3 - long-travel European suspension.
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Part of the MZR line-up that includes the 2.3L used in the Mazda6.

The 2.0 currently used in the Protege/P5 will not be the one in the Mazda3.
  • Options
    when comparing to the Mazda3 1.6.

The 2.3 has balance shaft, & still behind Acura/Honda 2.4 in refinement, etc.
  • Options
    http://macu.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/D016A953232FD2- - A5CA256DA3002CDF9F

The guy (Marton Pettendy) seems to know what he is talking about.

Bruno
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I've been to Honda's website and saw the updates. The upgrades to the Civic Sedan look pretty good- the Alloys give it a sportier look than last year. The new value pkg. has less equipment than the old Civic Value Package. My Civic Value Package has a CD player. The new one doesn't even have a Cassette player. It just says AM/FM radio stereo whereas on the Civic LX it says AM/FM CD radio stereo.
  • Options
    "...but overall the 2.0-litre manual Mazda3 did not feel inspiring."

"Despite being pitched at European buyers accustomed to strong bottom-end throttle response, Mazda3 program manager Akira Tanioka admits the new 2.0-litre – essentially a smaller capacity family member of the new 2.3-litre that powers Mazda6 – does its best work up top and that its lack of variable valve timing is due to cost."

I know USA official pricing hasn't been released, but again I'll go back to my comparison. All you'll save is $425 between the 2.0 and 2.3 trims. If that's the only difference in price there is then what's the point? Just go ahead and only offer the 2.3 and forget the 2.0 altogether. They didn't add VVT because of cost but when you look at the big picture you're barely saving any money. Americans are obsessed with HP and big engines, advertising a 160hp standard engine in the Mazda3 would give it a lot of attention.

Somehow my estimated difference in price doesn't add up because Mazda would be crazy to price them so close. The current LX and ES Protege are priced pretty close but they both have the same engine. It looks like Mazda is just using the 2.0 and stripping it down to advertise a low base price, but in return it seems overpriced compared to what you get with the 2.3 trim.

And why ruin the sedan's good looks with ugly, puny 15" steel wheels? Get the "s" trim and get nice 16" alloy wheels. Now if they give you 16" alloys bundled with the power package and you get remote keyless entry and maybe the anti-theft alarm and that comes in at $16,500 then that's a different story. But still you're giving up the 2.3 engine, tweeters with the stereo, leather-wrapped steering wheel, foglights, and some other stuff.

I'm to the point I'm going to try and like the black interior or look elsewhere if this is how it's going to be set up. I want remote keyless entry, alarm, 16" alloys, preferably the better stereo and if adding all this puts you at almost the same price of the "s" trim then why give up the 2.3 engine for little or no money? If Mazda is going to give me the 2.0 then I'd like to see I'm saving some money.

Seriously, how many of you would get a Mazda3 with 15" steel wheels? No remote keyless entry, power windows, etc.? If adding these things puts you dangerously close to a 2.3 then what's the point in getting the 2.0?

"The nicely finished perforated dash material looks classy too, but feels hard and cheap to touch."

I believe the 4car review said the same thing. That's disappointing. In pictures the interior looks above average and upscale, but in reality it feels hard and cheap?

"Maybe our expectations were too high. Maybe it’s a case of Mazda3 doing everything well but nothing outstanding, because there’s no question Mazda3 represents a solid design and engineering effort – one that easily matches the best in the small car class in terms of dynamics, refinement and style.

But we can’t help thinking that, with the 3, Mazda has backed a notch or two off the pace that made the 2, 6 and RX-8 so special."

So what exactly makes the Mazda2 and Mazda6 so special? Are we talking pure handling or is there more to it? Most reviews say the Mazda3 handling is good, so it's handling isn't good enough to stand out or be special? I don't think we have anything to worry about, the competition consists of the Civic, Corolla, etc. I'm sure the Mazda3 handling is way better than them.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    wheels need to rethink where these cars are meant to compete. They are first and foremost economy cars. Those large tires and wheels are expensive and drive maint costs up. If everyone wanted EVO/Mazdaspeed levels of performance it would be different. You don't want 16" whels standard or they will once again be behind the curve in econmy sector of the market where this car competes.
  • Options
    "No, it's the Toyota Scion xA. The same article said manufacturers are making a big mistake directing their marketing to 20-something "youths" who can't keep up car payments. Mitsubishi's advertising with finger-snapping, swaying-to-music young people brought in many buyers, but ended up with Mitsubishi having to take a $304 million loss on default payments and taking the cars back.

Should be a lesson to Mazda and Toyota."

I agree. It seems to me that's what they're doing with the standard sport package on the hatch and standard two-tone black interior on the hatch and 2.3 sedan. Several people on here have already said they would like a lighter interior than the black and some are already saying they want a way to take off the sport package add-ons on the hatch and switch out the grille.

Right now the Mazda3 looks like it'll have a lot better ride than the Protege and it has a nice exterior on the sedan that would appeal to current fans of the Jetta. It seems the Jetta's looks are popular among women as well, Mazda doesn't need to go overboard by requiring a two-tone black interior with the 2.3. I guess they figure though the 2.0 will be good enough for economy car shoppers, but how difficult would it be to offer a gray or beige interior on the 2.3 sedan and hatch? And not to mention some people, especially in hotter climates, refuse to buy black interiors. Just seems like a poor decision on Mazda's part.