Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3

Comments

• mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    That doesn't bode well for the top of my head.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    When is the Mazda 3 coming to the NA market?

What do Protege fans think of them dropping the name to '3'?
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    to discard the Protege name, a name that has become synonymous with excellent reliability and top-notch build quality. The new Mazda3 had better be very, very good if it is to overcome this blunder IMO.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    My 1st yr Protege(1990) was called "323 Protege". Good, the name "3" sounds like a half-price "6", so Mazda dealers better offer some good discounts. ;-)
    The Focus family(Volvo S40/V50, Mazda3, Focus & even Mondeo/fwd Jaguar X-type) & the next VW fwd family(Audi A3, VW Golf/Jetta/Passat, & the Seat/Skoda equivalents) are "half brothers", because their rear-suspension type is the unique "4-link control-blade" engineered by the same "Focus" designer! Do they add up to over 50% of fwd cars going to be sold in Europe? Wow! This guy is "famous".

The Audi A3 is their lower-seating sportier model.

Ditto the Mazda3, "...lower roofline than the current Focus, making for a wide, low-slung, sporty stance....Headroom is perfectly adequate, despite the low roofline. The driving position is less upright than in today's Focus, making for a sportier feel when you're sitting at the wheel."(p.13, 26 March 2003, AUTOCAR) The Mazda3 sedan's drawing from a link earlier in this thread is misleadingly tall like the new Corolla.

VW claims that the taller Golf/Jetta is for competing w/ Mercedes, & the Audi A3 is for competing w/ Beemer. So Mazda3 will be competing w/ both the A3 & Beemer.

But the initial reports showed that the A3 isn't so involving in handling compare to even the present more-diluted-steering-feel E46 3-series Compact(the older E36 & the upcoming 1 & 3 series are the more-involving driver's BMWs). "BMW...offers true adjustability and compliments the driver when the going takes on an intense-edged approach....But what the more focused BMW does is appeal directly to those who understand, and love, the exciting interaction between cars and drivers." "A3 can't match BMW's handling" "3-series much more a driver's car"(pp.11-12, same issue)

The following link complained about A3's inferior steering feel.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?previews/previews_story.php?id=3515- - - 5

Looks like the Mazda3's not gonna sweat beating the new A3 in driving fun. Only the quietness worries me, especially w/ that high-revving top gear.
  • wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    creakid1: Can you tell us more about the '4-link control-blade' rear suspension. Is it on the current generation Ford Focus? All I know so far about the Mazda3 rear-suspension is that it's multi-link, so if you have any additional info (e.g. does it give more trunk space like the Mazda6 suspension, performance of this suspension, name of designer, etc...), that'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    In the 3-demensional world, there are 6 degrees of freedom. A 5-link suspension restricts all 5 degrees and leaves 1 degree of exact pathway. Many Mercedes & Honda got 5-link rear suspension.

Yes, Mazda3's "multi-link control blade" is Focus's, although it's Focus II's set up. Mazda6's is different & is called "E-type multi-link". & they both got 4 links each side.

To be a little more specific, Car & Driver listed Focus's as "1 trailing arm and 3 lateral links" & Mazda6's as "1 trailing arm, 2 lateral links, and 1 toe-contol link"

Which one is better? I don't know. Maybe the E-type rear is designed to go w/ the double-wishbone front's geometry in the 6. But the Focus type for fwd is VW/BMW envied!

Why doesn't VW or BMW go for 5-link instead? Maybe to save cost & space. Maybe they find the Focus 4-link good enough or even better than the 5-link, who knows. But BMW almost adopted, not just this design, but the whole entire Focus platform for their future fwd entry-level car. & VW..."Envious of the Ford Focus's dynamic advances, the engineers set about devising a new four-link rear suspension as a substitute for the planned torsion beam."(p.8, 26 March 2003 AUTOCAR)

Does the Focus type save cargo space? Obviously, since it was derived from the expensive system found in the old Mondeo wagon, with the original 2 trailing links replaced by the "control blade" stamped-steel trailing arm on each side.

"The Focus's fluidy comes from pure, minimal-compromise rear suspension geometry. It uses a pair of transverse lower arms, a single upper arm (sounds a bit double-wishbone-ish so far) plus - the cost-accountant's trump card - a trailing link that's vertical, blade-like steel pressing whose wheel end is formed into the hub-carrier. There's a big voided rubber bush at the chassis end, so the wheel can move fore-and-aft easily for a good ride and low road noise. But those other arms keep things stiff laterally, which is why the Focus feels so precise."(p.132, Nov 1998 CAR)

Kammerer is one Focus person, but I don't know who invented this design or being hired by VW. If you look up an older issue of Automobile talking about the introduction of the 2000 U.S. Focus, especially about its steering feel, either the same guy or another person is listed there.
  • drumm01drumm01 Member Posts: 97
    Just got this from the CarConection:

With the upcoming Mazda3, the Japanese automaker hopes to repeat the success they recently had when introducing the mid-size Mazda6.

Based on Ford’s CW170 world small-car platform – and sharing this platform with the upcoming Volvo S40 and future Ford Focus, the Mazda3 will be officially introduced during the 2004 model year. The North American market will first see sedan and sport wagon variants, with the hatchbacks (three- and five-door models) possibly to follow.

The exterior design of the Mazda3 (and especially the front) is closely related to that of the Mazda6. Due to its low and sloping roofline, the new lineup will appear quite dynamic.

The engine offerings for North America are expected to include a 2.0-liter four and a 2.3-liter four, with other options available in Europe and Asia.

The biggest news: the Mazda3 name will replace the “Protégé” and other names used around the world.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    ***Wait until the end. There are some close-ups***

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?video_gallery/video_gallery_story.p- hp?id=34211

Dinu
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    was a lousy teaser. It shows a highly-camouflaged vehicle (in a long-range, hazy view) circling what looks like a (very snowy) test track. Early on in the video, a clear stationary close-up (studio shot) is introduced that is the same image we have seen for the past year.
    I just read the new CAR magazine. Despite using the unique Mazda3-type rear suspension, due to the new-generation Golf van's & Audi A3 3-door's pathetically uninformative steering, the new VW/Audi "don't belong in this future BMW 1-series' league", which only very-driver's cars can play.

That Golf van's steering - despite "less rubbery" & "more direct" than the present Golf/Jetta's, is still "numb"

The new A3's steering feel - is very little & "nor is it 3-demensional and transparent"

Their suspension composure & engine/road noise isolation are impressive, though.

Also, neither the Civic Si nor the TSX 4-cyl sedan got good steering feedback.

So that leaves Mazda3(& its Volvo/Ford siblings) the only competitor to the 1-series?
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    Interesting, but will the 1-series be RWD or FWD?

Also, when will the Mazda3 be available for sale? I've heard (via carconnection?) that it may be another 12 months :(
    You're right, it;s the camouflaged one we've seen for a few months now, not the "real", street-spec 3. I think that video might have been more valuable a few months back.

Dinu
    (sunilb)

The 2005 1-series is RWD & is the compact & 6"(?) narrower version of the future 2006 E90 3-series. Both are said to be "involving driver's cars" again like the old E36 3-series.

Even though more than a few years back, BMW was considering using the Focus platform for its "future entry-level car". So does that mean the BMW 1-series was originally planned as a FWD "Mazda3 twin"?!

The '99-to-'03 life cycle of the Japanese-platform Protege is already 5 years long.

The first borne triplet of the Euro C-platform - 2004 Mazda3 - is pretty much ready & has to be introduced months before the Spring '04 launch of the 2005 new Focus & Volvo S40/V50.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    can I find some more pictures of the Mazda3 from the New York auto show?? All I can find is a front view of the car. Looks very sweet!!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, if you do not own the picture, you may not use the "img src" tags to display it here. To do so violates the intellectual property rights of the owner.

You may link to the picture (as long as the host source doesn't mind), you just can't display the picture within your message.

Sorry, I had to remove a post.
    "you'll be delighted to hear that a reversed intake-exhaust layout (with the exhaust system fitted at the rear), a variable intake system (VIS), a tumble swirl control valve (TSCV) and a high-flow port head are all part of the package"

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/geneva_2003/06/
    -------------------------
    "Maximum output is estimated at 150 hp at 6000 rpm and maximum torque is estimated at 140 lb-ft at 4500 rpm. In terms of environmental performance, the MZR engine in the MX Sportif aims to meet the PZEV (partial zero emission vehicle) standard in the United States. The engine in mated to a close-ratio, short-throw five-speed manual transmission"

"The MX Sportif features the latest evolution of the Mazda Advanced Impact Distribution and Absorption System body, dual stage opening Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) front airbags, as well as SRS side curtains and seat mounted front side airbags. This level of passive safety equipment - matched to the active safety that is inherent in any vehicle with exceptional driving dynamics - gives MX Sportif a reassuring level of safety that is expected in all automobiles. Active safety is pushed to the highest levels with the inclusion of Mazda's sophisticated anti-lock brake system and Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), boosting the MX Sportif's overall handling stability and braking performance beyond their basic potential"

MX Sportif Specifications

Dimensions Overall Length 171.3 in. (4350mm) Overall Width 62.3 in. (1760mm)

Overall Height 57.1 in. (1450mm) Wheelbase 103.9 in. (2640mm) Tread, front/rear 60.4/60.2 in. (1535/1530mm)

Seating capacity 5 persons

Engine Type MZR 2.0L inline four-cylinder

Output (SAE net) 150 hp @ 6000 rpm (estimated)

Torque (SAE net) 140 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm (estimated)

Transmission Type Five-speed manual

Suspension Suspension system, front/rear MacPherson strut/multi-link

Brakes front/rear Ventilated disc/disc Tires 225/45R-18

http://www.autointell-news.com/News-2003/April-2003/April-2003-4/- April-23-03-p8.htm

Dinu
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Something tells me this tire size won't make it to market or perhaps only on the Mazdaspeed version.
    It's a large size for a small car and the 45 profile means a harsh ride, ragardless how good the suspension could be.

But at least it looks good - on paper anyway.

Dinu
    The highest grade production versions will have 17-inch wheels.

As for the engine, the 2.0l isn't going to 150hp under N. American tuning. It'll come in somewhere in the 140's (maybe even 140hp). But that's not a problem, because other engine choice for N. American Mazda3's will be the 160hp 2.3l Mazda6 engine.

Also, now that autoshow season is over, don't expect much more news on this car possibly until it's world debut at the Frankfurt autoshow (September).
  • eteaetea Member Posts: 30
    A renowned car guide author from Quebec, Jacques Duval, says to avoid the first production year of a model.

As a quick example, the first year of the re designed Toyota Celica (2001?):

- oscillation bug with computer's idle and injection
    - timing belt issues
    - defect pressure valve for gas tank
    - documented problem with transmission synchro's bushings
    - brake issues

(I apologize for some terms, which are my translation and might not be accurate).

Anyway, would this happened to Chrysler or Ford, that would be 'normal' ... ;) But with a Toyota model, that let me wonder about Mazda.

They are reknowned for quality and the P5 is excellent on that aspect. But, is't it possible that the first year is likely to have issues and some of them not be covered by the warranty or known by dealers?

I am just thinking out loud..

- To what extent does the platform sharing enhance the likehood of finding issues before the car is ready for production

- Were there any issues with the first Mazda protégé 5? As it is the Protégé's big brother, maybe the problems happended in the Protégé rather than on the P5?

- How much of the current model is re-used and how does it affect it's reliability?

I'm just trying to be the devil's advocate and reassure myself after hearing my buddy's trouble with his Celica.

Any idea/comments?
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    These are just guesses.

"likely to have issues and some of them not be covered by the warranty or known by dealers?"

If it does have issues, eventually the dealer will know about it and I'm sure they will be covered under warrany, just like any manufacturer except VW.

"To what extent does the platform sharing enhance the likehood of finding issues before the car is ready for production"

I don't think it does.

"Were there any issues with the first Mazda Protégé 5? As it is the Protégé's big brother, maybe the problems happended in the Protégé rather than on the P5?"

The first P5 in North America didn't really have any issues because it had been out for so long in Asia and other parts of the world already.

"How much of the current model is re-used and how does it affect it's reliability?"

I would say that any re-used parts from the current model would be well tested and proven.

You have to remember that when your buddy's Celica came out, it was an all new engine and transmission. Most of the problems he had were engine or transmission related. The new engine family in the Mazda3 already exists and is being tested right now in other Mazda vehicles. I also think ANY brand new model is going to have at least a couple of glitches.
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    Ran across this last night.

http://www.donlen.com/Whats_New/new_buildstart_mazda.html

Says Mazda3 production begins on 16 September. Also says they can be ordered starting in June?
    This is part of the trade-off.

First model year of a new generation:
    Pros:
    - car is designed with latest technical features/processes
    - first to get the new look model

Cons:
    - there will inevitably be bugs and other things not so well implemented that get modified as production goes on (Mazda6 hose fix and US RX-8 spec fixes are just 2 recent Mazda examples)

Getting last model year of a generation:
    Pros:
    - reliability (not too many '03 Pros will have problems)

Cons:
    - your new car will be outdated in a few months

So it's a trade-off that you have to weigh when deciding on a car.
  • tiredofmanualtiredofmanual Member Posts: 338
    But are afraid of little problems, just wait until they have been at full production for about 6 months. By then they will have found and fixed all the little unforseen problems associated with a new model.
  • mazfan1mazfan1 Member Posts: 26
    Mazda told me that the Mazda3 suppose to come to the U.S. Fall/Winter of this year. I also heard that Mazda will use the existing Protege engines. I hope that dont happen! I dont care what the focus use.They can use something else. I just hope Mazda put the new 2.0 liter with I think 140h.p. on base trim (i) and the Mazda6's 2.3 liter 160h.p. in the (s) trim. If the focus get the 2.3 liter then the Mazda3 should to. I like the Mazda3 10 times better anyways.
  • pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    It wouldn't make sense for them to continue to use the existing Protege engines when Mazda has a brand new 4-cyl that they made themselves.
    I'm interested in the new Mazda3 that is coming out soon, and I have a few questions.

1) Will the Mazda3 use the same automatic transmission that the current Protege has? If so, how reliable is the current automatic transmission?

2) As far as reliability goes, will there be any difference in the 140hp non-VVT engine and the 160hp VVT engine? Is it possible that the VVT could mess up and cause engine problems? So would the base engine be a better choice as far as reliability goes?

3) Any word on if all the cars will have disc brakes or will the DX and LX still have drums and only the ES will have 4-wheel discs?

4) Does Mazda offer an extended factory warranty? If so how long and how many miles is it and how much do dealers usually charge for it?
    Consumer Report gave the Protege transmission the highest reliability rating. My close-ratio manual transmission uses ATF & started grinding eventually perhaps due to improper downshifting. It was only Prolong (& not Slick 50 or Duralube) additive that cured it! So use Prolong every time, the friction will be gone!

There's gonna be no DX, LX, ES. Just 3i w/ 2.0 & 3s w/ 2.3, which is an engine std in the Mazda6. So just keep track w/ the 6 & see if this engine is reliable. Maybe the 2.3 or the 2.3 w/ sport package will get disc rear?

I remember back in '90 when I bought my new loaded Protege LX(the car lasted forever & still running reliably today, by the way), Mazda charged $600 to extend from 3yr/50k to 6yr(?)/100k factory warranty that also included loaner car for warranty repairs(but not for maintenance). I didn't go for it.
  • mazfan1mazfan1 Member Posts: 26
    1.I believe the Protege current tranmission pretty reliable but you can check back at edmuds disscussion tittles click on Mazda Protege problem it might say something about transmission problems.

2.Both engines should be both reliable as long as ford doesnt have anything to do with it.

3.I guessing Mazda will drop the DX.LX,ES and adopted the the names of the Mazda6's i and s trims. The 3 will probley get standand disc brakes front and rear and have optional ABS with EBD (ABS might be paried with TCS control or DSC control system or with both) on i trim and standard on s. simliar to the Mazda6 setup.

4.I was in edmuds mazda6 formus about 3 weeks ago, somebody commented that they bought the extended factory warranty. I dont know how much the price was for it. But I believe the extra warranty was 10 year 100,000 thousand miles.The Mazda3 might have the extended warranty deal.If this is wrong can somebody help me out?
    Ok, according to this, US dealers can start ordering the Mazda3 today (well yesterday, but it was a Sunday):
    http://www.donlen.com/Whats_New/new_buildstart_mazda.html

maltb, audia8q, if this is indeed true, can you tell us the exact packaging info for the US-spec as soon as you get it? And this will also answer a lot of pzev's questions too.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I just checked and the only 2004's that I can order are RX-8's and Miata's....also the dist. rep from mazda told me its not going to appear on the radar screen until year end...

boy, I'm shocked the internet is reporting bad information...haha

rich
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    It's a market thing again like with the 6. The 3 will appear overseas first and can be factory ordered for those markets now.
    Thanks to everyone who helped answer my questions. I would like to follow-up a couple of them real fast since I'm still unsure.

As far as the automatic transmission is concerned, the same one in the current Protege will be used for the Mazda3 correct? I'm under the assumption that it's a pretty reliable transmission, so does anyone out there have anything bad to say about it? Am I to assume that it's a reliable transmission?

Also, about the VVT. Has anyone heard of anyone having a problem with their engine that was blamed on the VVT or VTEC, etc.? Not just Mazda specifically, but for any brand. Is the VVT technology reliable for the most part or is people known to have problems with their VTEC in their Hondas or VVT-i in their Toyotas? I would like the 160hp and if it's the only trim available with 4-wheel discs I'll probably choose it regardless, but if I decide to choose between the two trims I would just like to know if the base engine may have an advantage reliability-wise if it's non-VVT compared to the VVT 160hp version. For example the Civic has a VTEC version and a non-VTEC version so just curious if the non-VTEC version is any more reliable than the VTEC version. I've never heard of anyone having engine problems blamed on VTEC, VVT, etc. so just wondering if it makes any difference.

Also if this ordering stuff is only an overseas thing if anyone finds out something post it anyway because I'm curious to see if they will do the same thing with the Mazda3 as they did with the Mazda6 and put 4-wheel discs on everything. Do any Mazda6's in other countries come with drum brakes? I'm pretty confident that our S trim will have 4-wheel discs like our current ES does because if there is going to be leather available and a sport package with 17-inch wheels then I'm sure 4-wheel discs will be available, but the problem is I want a beige interior AND 4-wheel discs which isn't possible in the current Protege so I was hoping that they won't make black the only interior color choice on the S trim and also the only trim with 4-wheel discs. Seems as if this info isn't available yet so if anyone does find out let me know.

And I think I'll post a message in the Mazda6 area about the extended warranty. By the way does audia8q work for a Mazda dealer? If so could you tell me if Mazda offers a factory extended warranty and how many years and miles it is? Thanks again everyone.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    a. Yep, audia8q is with a Mazda dealer.

b. What options/configurations are available overseas isn't even a remote hint of what North American Mazda may or may not do. The 6, for example, has anti-skid, navigation and rear seat headrests either available or standard in most of the world, but not North America. On the 6, too, even between Canada and the United States of America, there are major differences in model configurations and even model years (the 6 was introduced in the US in late 2002 as a 2003, in early 2003 in Canada as a 2004, but the car is essentially the same).

The sad fact is you will know what configurations and options are available in the US for the Mazda3 when Mazda announces them, and not before.

And so it goes.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    "4000-lb cap on passenger vehicles"

better yet, let's just tax the living daylights out of them.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    And I imagine if satellite radio existed outside the US (does it?) - it would be available as well. Unlike here and now!

(Just ribbing ya johnclineii! BTW the ScreenSavers, a TechTV show, recently tested XM and Sirius and totally blasted & bashed Sirius for crappy sound quality, awful compression artefacts and pretty much said "get XM" :) Time to switch? )
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Is the 2.3 for the 3 the same as the 2.3 in the Focus now available in parts of the U.S.?
    More than a few yrs ago, Ford said their future 4-cyl engines are gonna be Mazda developed. It's about time!

Since the European Focus, which is what our Focus is "copied" from, don't got 2.3's... What do you think this 2.3 4-cyl is? A "Pinto" 2.3 engine that was also available w/ turbo in the Merkur XR4Ti? LOL!

Don't be "ashamed" that your Mazda got the same drivetrain(that's right, both engine & transmission) Ford vehicles use. Almost the entire Mazda 323/Protege was rebadged as Escort/Tracer in North America for generations! They're just not as well built when built in North America. At least the made-in-Taiwan 1st-yr Canadian-market Tracer had higher quality rating than any other Ford or Ford-badged Mazda car around the world(& I guess that includes Japan!).

In fact, I'm proud for the Mazda3(over the Protege) simply because it's got Euro-designed Focus II steering and suspension.
    Yes, it is the same 2.3L PZEV engine available on the Focus in CA, NY and New England.
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    But Autoexpress is UK based and I'm in France. Do you know what issue is? I can try to look around.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    is one of the factors that put Mazda into bankruptcy in the first place. Former Mazda Buyers have never forgotten the Ford auto tranny in the 626 in the early 90's. I am upset because those drivetrains were nothing but problems in the 626.

The MPV uses a Ford Engine and that hasn't been a problem. The Tribute and re-badged Ranger have been problems.

About the platform for the 3 is that the Focus platform or did Mazda co-develop it with Ford? I'm hearing different things on who's car company's platform it is.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Everything I am reading indicates FORD is using Mazda's platforms for small and intermediate sized cars in the future. 10 Ford/Lincoln/Mercury models off the Mazda6, and that the next Focus will be based on the Mazda3 platform, as will some Volvo models. I have seen nothing to indicate Ford designed the platform.

To some extent, there is now so much collaberation between Ford and Mazda that distinguishing between the two is an artificial exercise not unlike distinguishing between domestic and foreign cars.

That Ford transmission in the old 626's was a bad tranny no matter what vehicle it was installed in. Ford needs to make its small and intermediate sized cars as exciting and reliable as does Mazda.

Ford claims separate models on the same platform will not share driving characteristics. It is supposed to be more than the badge engineering that Ford so richly made fun of GM for doing in the 1980's.
    Everything I have read states that the drivetrain is Mazda's in the Mazda car. I expect the transmissions in the current "clean air states" Focus are probably Ford's, but there has been no press or rumors that I can recall that state who will make the transmissions in the next generation Focus. I don't see that it matters that much as the Focus transmissions have not been a big trouble area thus far.
    I can't post the URL because of the rules here, but the new Mazda3 platform was a joint effort from Ford, Mazda, and Volvo. 30 engineers from each of the 3 companies spent 2 years together in Cologne, Germany to develop the platform, known as the C1, the first platform from the "C Technologies" program.

The cars will share 60% of parts, but all of that is beneath the skin. Everything that people see, touch and hear have 0% sharing, to ensure the brands don't get diluted.

Overall leads were:
    Volvo - structural & safety
    Ford - chassis engineering (e.g. control-blade suspension)
    Mazda - gasoline engine, exhaust, cooling systems
  • boxfanboxfan Member Posts: 180
    The shared platform could be great if it gives the Mazda3 Volvo-levels of safety. On the other hand, it could be the worst of all three worlds--Volvo excitement, Focus reliability, and Mazda brand recognition! Still, I think it's a good thing overall. The 3 will be Japan-built and probably very reliable.

If the 2.3L engine they put in the 3 is the same one from the 6i, it should be great--with the 5-speed, the 6i gets 25/32 EPA mpg, and 0-60 times around 8 seconds. In the 3, 10-20% lighter, that engine should deliver even better mileage and pretty motivated performance.
  • hokiedoghokiedog Member Posts: 24
    "also the dist. rep from mazda told me its not going to appear on the radar screen until year end..."

Hrm. Does that mean that Mazda will merely be announcing the vehicle by years end? Since I'm under the impression that the Protoge's are on their last year, if the Mazda3 doesn't come out before January they will have skipped the 04 model year in that segment.

Or am I missing something here?
    "Everything I have read states that the drivetrain is Mazda's in the Mazda car. I expect the transmissions in the current 'clean air states' Focus are probably Ford's, but there has been no press or rumors that I can recall that state who will make the transmissions in the next generation Focus. I don't see that it matters that much as the Focus transmissions have NOT been a big trouble area thus far."

You know why? I've read somewhere that the current U.S. Focus uses Mazda's auto tranny.

When I said, "Don't be 'ashamed' that your Mazda got the same drivetrain(that's right, both engine & transmission) Ford vehicles use", I meant your JAPANESE Mazda engine & tranny are being shared by the unreputable U.S. Focus now. Even GM is starting to use a Honda engine for its Saturn Vue.

I understand that if the Mazda 626 used to use a Ford auto tranny, you'd probably interpret my word as the tranny Mazda3/Protege & Focus are sharing is a Ford unit.