Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Jeep Liberty Diesel

Comments

• caribou1caribou1 Posts: 1,354
    Biodieseldude, since you have a good rig there is one thing you could publish on this forum:
    - The revision number(s) of your ECU software.

Potential CRD buyers who read this forum can easily access this information and check before buying the truck that it uses a reliable version of software :shades:

Have you noticed any trace of polymerization of your fuel?
  • tjm3472tjm3472 Posts: 11
    The only service contract quote I can remember from the web was from chryslerservicecontracts.com. I took theirs and another to my local dealer and he beat the best of them by 50 dollars. I did get mine when I only had 3000 miles and I think the prices start getting higher after 12000 miles.
    tjm
  • bullheadbullhead Posts: 125
    You may have better sense about the F37 Recall than I do, arvman. Just keep in mind: can Daimler-Chrysler mandate a "fix" that diminishes the torque when fixes that wouldn't do that were an (albeit more expensive) option for them to prescribe ? Without a remedy to the consumer, I'm thinking not. I will hold out for this inequity to be resolved by them (Hence, Bullhead).
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    I don't put much faith in Amsoil since the same company puts out stuff like A.J.'s Roborant Energy, which I also don't put much faith in.

But there's lots more in the Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2 and Synthetic motor oil discussions - we can get back to the Liberty Diesel in here any time now. ;)
  • butchmanbutchman Posts: 24
    Biodieseldude, I am impressed with your mileage. Can you tell me some of the easest and most effective mods you made to bring your mileage up like that? Thanks!
  • synlubessynlubes Posts: 184
    sorry you feel that way about synthetic oil only time will tell but i will still run it in my crd and all my relation in germany would not run anything else but synthetic i have a lubrication engenering degree and i can tell you synthetic is here to stay like it or not sorry we disagree on synthetic oil but you have a nice day
  • piper10piper10 Posts: 8
    biodieseldude
    Thanks for the reply.When you can let me know what the elephant hose is and how to use it.I am not worried about emissions,we arent tested in my part of the state so far.I was just afraid it wouldnt run right with it not working.Thats what I like about the diesel is how long it lasts.Glad to hear that your crd is runnung so well.
  • mdamickmdamick Posts: 277
    The PCM is but the EGR and the EGR Flow Control Valve are not covered after the 3/36000.

What I have done is disconnect the EGR, put in a relay connected to a potentiometer across the IAT temp sensor. The computer thinks the EGR is there so no MIL and without EGR off the line the thing runs like it should have from day 1.

I currently have 67000+ miles on mine. The only issue I have at the moment is the transmission programming does not fully lock the TC until 62 mph. When going uphill @ 53 the TC will slip and chatter if I give it too much fuel.
  • mdamickmdamick Posts: 277
    It looks neat but I don't see any way to generate enough hydrogen fast enough to run a car.
    I also think that straight DC would produce H faster than any type of pulsed voltage.
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    Piper10.I can state positively the PCM and the EGR are NOT covered under Fed Emissions.

Farout
  • piper10piper10 Posts: 8
    Thanks guys for letting me know that.Looks like that plan wont work.Oh well it was an idea.I was checking ebay and there are a few crds listed there.I am suprised because there arent that many out there.
    biodieseldude: Please don't tell me that you believe that you qualify as a Schedule A? There is NO ONE who can say they are a shhedule A in the Unitsed States> Read the requirements very carefully. Do you have ANY thematures below 32F or higher than 90F. Do you stop and go with your CRD? Do you ever go 10 miles or less? Do you drive for extended periode? ( hat deffination is so vague it means whatever DCX wants it to be) The check engine light on for 20K alone kills your warranty.
    You sound like an intellegent man, and surely you can see unless you have a Jeep dealer willing to falsify some records for you, incase of and engine problem, there will be a hot time on the south pole while you try to get warranty work done.
    I can tell you first habd that without proof you have kept up with scheduel B there is a rough road to get any engine work warrantied.
    I am not intending to argue with you only saying it's very hard to get these distric reps to bend. I sure hope you have the very best CRD sold in the USA, as I can see you have a lot of fun with yours.

Farout
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,059
    Thanks for the reply.

Actually, it would be better to use the "reply" link when replying to another message rather than starting a new "thread" and typing in a new title. It's easier for members to follow that way.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I don't see any way to generate enough hydrogen fast enough to run a car.

Good point! However ...

I keep resisting the temptation to get into the fray but people need to understand that you just cannot break even in splitting up water molecules and trying to get useful work out of burning the hydrogen. It takes energy to split up those molecules, which you cannot do with 100% efficiency, and you cannot get 100% efficiency when converting the energy from combustion to useful work.

Even if you could do both with 100% efficiency, you would have to "invest" exactly the same amount of energy as you would extract.

Okay, I'm stepping down from my soapbox. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    tidester: I am not educated in energy to the level you and some others. I have been under the assumption as you stated that some thing must start an action or movement to make even a perpetual motion going. Even if this was possible would there not be some loss in energy, even it were hardly un-measureble, eventually slowing down to the point you could measure it?
    Even our sun does have a time of expiration so I have heard. However I doubt any of us will see that happen. I enjoy a good soap box talk on occasion.

Farout
    Hey, I know of at least 2 in my area alone. One is a Limited and it has 14,000 miles and they want $18,900. and will drop from there depending if you have a trade. This dealer will not carry but one CRD on the lot at a time, because of the time it takes to sell it.

Farout
  • caribou1caribou1 Posts: 1,354
    Farout, the only thing that can start without much energy and keep going forever is RUMOR
    Just check world news :P
  • goodcrdgoodcrd Posts: 253
    Farout,
    Your beating your head against the wall. Contact your State Attorney General's Office and a Good lemon law lawyer. You need to talk to people that know the law and are not biased against you. Have you talked to a lawyer who will be able to represent your interests? If not your making a costly mistake.
    Farout,

People still try to get patents for "perpetual motion machines" but, as cleverly as they may be, they simply cannot get around the laws of thermodynamics!

Caribou1 said:

the only thing that can start without much energy and keep going forever is RUMOR

I'll add another one - Conspiracy Theories! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    goodcrd: Today the DCX District Called and gave the message to the Service manager they are going to definatly buy back our Green Beast. There will be a mileage charge, that we will talk next week about what per mile will be charged. The dealer has asked that the charge be fair ,as we extend to buy another Jeep product. Once we agree to a mileage charge the District Rep. will get final approval. Best time estimate is 14 days at the earliest and 21 at the most.
    The Service manager told the District Rep he never wanted to work on the Green Beast ever again! They had it in the shop all day yesterday and could not fix the fuel gage, the speed control, or the shuddering. They think it all is computer connected, and Star can't help fix it. They too see how the power has been changed by F37, but no answers as how to fix anything. The Tec that worked on it said he hates to work on something he can't fix. They admit this is a dead end street. I am not sure where they take these vehicles that are buy backs, maybe the auction and sell it with no warranty?
    We did get legal advice. There is a big charge to hire a attorney, most base the charge on time involved to get it settled. We do have the paper work to back up our displeasure with this Green Beast. The big issue for most people is lack of tangible proof. The documents to prove the repairs and attempts at repair are the only thing that counts. We have all these things, plus the Service manager who has reached his end of the rope.

Farout
    DCX is recalling 500,000 vehicles some Liberty's are included. This was on the evening PBS news. As to what years or reason was not tottaly clear, but locks were mentioned.
    This is not good news for a company that's up FOR SALE.

Farout
    The affected years are 2004 to 2006. It seems there have been fires in some of those vehicles resulting from electrical overloading in the driver's side instrument panel. Detroit News

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • budsjpbudsjp Posts: 25
    I picked up the following from an AP article on MSNBC - a little different than the Detroit News:

The automaker was also recalling 149,605 Jeep Liberty SUVs from the 2006-2007 model years to fix the heating-ventilation-air conditioning blower motor. Chrysler had received a dozen reports of fires from Liberty owners.
  • budsjpbudsjp Posts: 25
    Further on in the article referenced, the following appears (Gates is a Chrysler spokesman):

In the Liberty recall, Gates said the blower motors could fail if the air conditioning is being used on high during hot weather.

Drivers who smell an odor such as overheated plastic should keep their blower motor below the highest setting until they bring their vehicle in for service, Chrysler said. Liberty owners are expected to receive notices about the recall in May.
    budsjp: Just in time for summer! I wonder why the heater with the blower motor on high would not be a concern for fire, or even the defrost position as the AC is on then too?

Farout
  • winter2winter2 Posts: 1,801
    Yesterday the weather was reasonable enough for me to do some maintenance on the CRD. I pulled the boost pressure sensor. It had some crud on it but not too much. I gave it a good cleaning and put it back in. Next I pulled the hose between the aftercooler and the intake manifold. There was no accumulated oil in the hose. All I found was a thin sticky film of oil which I cleaned out. I next pulled the hose between the turbo and the aftercooler. No accumulated oil, and again just the thin sticky film of oil. Cleaned that out and reassembled. Drove the CRD a little later and it ran like a banshee. Very quick throttle response and improved pulling power in top gear were noted.

I want to make a comment about Amsoil lubricants. I am not an Amsoil dealer but have used their products for years successfully. I feel you get what you pay for when you buy their products and there ares so few things today for which I can say that. Their oils have very low vaporization rates, thus the minimal goo/crud in the intake system and else where in the engine. Yes, you pay more for Amsoil, but you get what you pay for.
  • winter2winter2 Posts: 1,801
    Well, your pain is almost over. I find the comment of the Service Manager about not wanting to see your CRD again most revealing. Frankly, I feel that your CRD can be fixed with the use of competent technicians and a real dealership that cares. I think the tech at that dealership is a loser. Anything is fixable, it just takes an extra five or ten minutes to do it. At the dealership I use, they have had some nightmare cars, but they have gotten them fixed and only rarely have they ever had a buy back in their 30+ years of existence.

What will DCX do with your CRD, probably look at it, analyze it, probably fix it and sell it at auction. I am only guessing here.
  • Sorry for the delayed response I have been up in the mountains. One thing I did was purchase the module that has a fuel economy mode and I use that frequently, provides 1-2 mpg additional. The other thing i did was purchase a full height bug shield to push the wind up to the top of the windshield which seemed to help a lot, especially noticable when my wipers seems to stick to the windshield better now when going 70+. Also since my tires have a 50psi rating I put the rear at 50 and the front at 35 this also seems to help angle the wind up and over the windshield maybe 1mpg extra. I also use "Diesel Power" from auto parts store and "PS Service" from Walmart 2 types one on each, one with Cetane boost and the other fuel injector cleaner another 1mpg extra I put this in almost every tank. One last thing I use the cruise alot and try to find a large truck or vehicle (Ford Expedition or Hummer works the best they are great wind blockers) to stay behind. Even 5 or 6 car lengths or 3-5 seconds works perfectly. Staying behind one of these increases mileage by another 1 or 2 mpg.

Those things combined this last trip I got 35.8mpg over 2 and a half tanks this week going up into the moutains with a ski rack, 3 sets of skis and one snow board on top, at times I would drop down to 27 going up step 6% inclines with the cruise set at 75, then back down I frequently push into neutral which dramatically increases mileage on the way down. The coolest thing about this engine is that when going up step inclines all the gas engines slow down 3-5 mph with the curise set and I dont lose but maybe .5 mph.

When I take a trip to Kansas City, flat ground I can get closer to 38 as long as I can find a good wind blocker going 80, otherwise I stay around 33-34mpg on the way there, coming back to Colorado is into the wind which is crossways from the plains of Kansas and uphill all the way where I drop down to 26-28mpg for the trip back.

If I do any in town driving more than 100 miles on that tank my mileage drops down to 25 or 26 for that tank.

Hope that helps.
  • The elephant hose only prevents extra sludge oil coming out of the crankcase and going into the intake. The top of the engine there is a round piece with a hose attached that goes back into the air intake. This hose carries unusaed air back into the system lowering emissions. The elephant mod takes that hose and Ts off to a filter that attempts to take that oil out of the air before it sends thta crankcase vent back into the intake. What some do is install a T and one side of the T just hangs down the side of the motor draining off that oil and the other side of the T back into the original location after the air filter.

I would search LostKJs.com under the CRD Liberty forum for elephant hose to get pictures and more info. Otherwise when I get time I will post some pix up on this forum.
    biodieseldude: One thing that would be worth your try would be to bring your front tire pressure up to atleast 40 psi. The increase should help because you are not pushing against a softer tire. Worth atry anyway.
    Have you had the F37 done? Have you tried testing your mpg without the additives? With the better diesel you might get some better. Do you use Bio fuel?

farout