Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Liberty Diesel

Comments

• bullheadbullhead Posts: 125
    "the crd will tear up the torque converter and it will throw pieces of it through your tranny"

Then, it will grow fangs...

Everybody knows that less is more in Europe- it's the only way Europeans can feel greatness at all. Sadly though, less is less.
  • caribou1caribou1 Posts: 1,354
    Bullhead,
    I'm sure you know there is a subtil difference between asking for more and being asked for more. All high-tech products are designed to stay on "the cutting edge of the razor". You can sometimes use larger equipment for a given task, but what do you do with it the rest of the time? You pay for that little extra you once needed. I think this is a major difference between both sides of the pond.
    caribou1...

I not only get your point, but feel the same way about all the HUGE pickup trucks with 6.9 and 7.3 liter diesels I see. It's funny; my brother bought an early 90's Dodge diesel and I believe it has a 4.7l non-turbo and it easily pulls more than I ever need (almost). It's still in service, too. However, everyone needs to know their best compromise. A 1.4l VW diesel is quite sufficient for only commuting and a 2.5l CRD Liberty is more than. We're still conquering our landscape here in the Western U.S., however, so some extra pulling power is often very sensible.
    Bullhead,
    I've been using my Jeep for pulling trees out of a private piece of land. I've pulled about 12 cubic meters of wood out of the forest and stacked it along a country road. This is roughly 23 trees of 15 to 20 meters long, and there (was)is a steep 4 foot climb at the edge of the terrain. Our truck is limited by it's mass (not heavy enough), it's ground clearance, it's driver's high viewpoint and small mirrors (in this case) but not by it's power nor precision of handling when balancing on two diagonally opposed wheels. It's a grown-up's toy :blush:
    The cost of this exercise is:
    - Front 'bumper' :confuse: and right wheel cover cut the plastic rivets right off: they were too close to the ground when the truck was at it's maximum angle of approach-departure.
    - Two right hand side doors are pushed in by 4" and the door steps as well. The side view mirrors don't reach down enough and when the engine roars, you can't hear or feel the body giving in! This was a bit of a surprise.
    - This engine is a camel. It takes less than 3 quarts of fuel per hour!
    Now that the exercise is over, I find my truck a bit oversized when I park it along my colleague's vehicles ;)

Last observation: the tail lights are made of acrylic glass or it's equivalent. But why make them so thin? I also broke one without any sign of warning. The tinted material is less than 1/16" thick!
    Without any intention of going rock climbing, I believe the truck could be a little less flashy and better suited to enjoy the transfer case and the power of the diesel engine.
  • 13301330 Posts: 6
    Anybody know of a way to monitor the gear you are in with a meter or gauge? There should be a way to read voltage for the different gears the tranny is in. It would be useful when determining the rpm/accelerator pressure to apply for max mpg. Had a VW Touareg which had gear indicator on the dash. Very handy info.
  • Hi Zoomy,
    I have a 2006 CRD ( build date Feb.2006 ) My CRD was not recalled for the "F37" recall...I can't get below 2000 rpm's in 4th gear at 56-57 miles per hour towing nothing :confuse: My crd in overdrive at 70 miles per hour is just a "fuzz" over 2000 rpm !! Is this about right ?? Planing on getting a Casita travel trailer in oct. any thoughts ??
    thanks,
    Skeeter
  • mike6206mike6206 Posts: 35
    I'd like to know how the CRD is doing when you use a 15W40 dino or synthetic blend oil. The reason is that Conklin sells a 15W40 ParaSynthetic oil under the Conklin CONVOY label and I was told by Conklin that it would work in the CRD. ;)
  • nescosmonescosmo Posts: 453
    Mike..... If you change your 15w-40 dino every 5k or less, i see no reason why it shouldn't work. If i were you i would use Chevron Delo 400. One of the best.

Nescosmo.
  • mike6206mike6206 Posts: 35
    Nescosmo,

I just wondered because I'm thinking of going into a deal where I can sell Conklin's Lubes and car care products and I starting by trying thier additive Diesel Plus with the cleaner 4 Power, their auto tranny fluid, ATF XTRA PLUS 4, etc. I think that while the Mobil Delvac 1 is working, let it stay my oil. This link, http://www.conklin.com/pg.asp?p=6 will show their line of products.
  • lakelvrlakelvr Posts: 21
    What and where is the "boost pressure solenoid filter" that is in the maintenance schedule and hopefully on my engine. Have an '05 w/F23 & F37 and zero problems @ 27k. Last trip of 4k from the flatlands to the Rockies got 30.9mpg going out to Crested Butte and 29.5 overall but that is at 1780rpm. Had a need for speed last week and got 16.6mpg @ 78mph for a 225 mi. trip one way. Very satisfied so far but last week had to use chains to navigate back road snow and there wasn't much room in wheel well for them.
  • winter2winter2 Posts: 1,801
    Two companies I know of make fully synthetic 15W-40 oil. They are Amsoil and RedLine. I have used Amsoil's 15W-40 in my CRD last year and when I change oil later this month, I will use it again for the warmer weather. It has the same flow characteristics as Mobil 1 5W-40 and Shell Rotella 5W-40. However, it is more heat resistant and has a significantly lower rate of vaporization than either of the two aforementioned oils, thus keeping the intake system and EGR cleaner.
    Look behind the air cleaner box. It is hanging on a short black rubber hose. It looks like a fuel filter of many years ago.

As for chains, you can only put them on the rear wheels and they need to be "S" class.
    Winter2, when you put chains on the front wheels, you get assistance for traction, braking and steering. A bonus of having the chains up front is the widening of the tracks made for the rear wheels. I learned this from a local 4X4 club. I must admit it makes sense because I drove my truck in deep heavy snow and I noticed that comes a time the steering assistance no longer works. And you are stuck (I was) :(
    When chains are up front, your front wheels can easily move the snow away from the sidewalls and it's a bit simpler to move in any direction. The torque takes good care of that: you don't need to wind up the engine to get moving.
    But of course, this is for non drive able conditions, when schools close for several days.
  • synlubessynlubes Posts: 184
    i have several customers who use amsoil 15-40 and no problems i use 5-30 series 3000 and it works fine like i have said before i think the crd is bullet proof it is all the bull hanging on it
  • crddudecrddude Posts: 6
    Well,

I just had the ball joints, tourque convertor and a stuck egr valve serviced. Now the engine seems to run a little rougher and the mileage fell from 32 to 26 mpg highway. Also hear a rush of air from the engine during acceleration at around 2k rpms. Hmmmm....

2005 Liberty Diesel Owner.
    caribou1: I could be wrong, bit I think chaining up the front on an Independent Front Suspension is a no-no. I did that on my Montero during a hunting trip and was replacing Idler and Pitman arms plus the drag link soon after. Look in the Liberty owner's manual for answer. I will still use the more-tame cable chains on the front as it becomes necessary.
    Bullhead,
    I bought these KOENIG SUV chains and tried them on my rear wheels one day:
    http://www.konig.it/SchedaProd.aspx?ID=139

The deep profile of my BFG T/A tires gave me the same digging ability as when using chains. I find these tires far better than common chains in heavy snow.
    In fluffy snow using T/A tires you're on dry pavement! But the law imposes chains on certain alpine roads :sick:

I believe 75% of our local vehicles have front wheel drive, and they must all use chains on mountain roads!

The same law forces me to use 225x75x16 to have the proper load index and not to destroy the lining in the wheel wells. The 235x70x16 has a lower load index than the 225.

All this to say we should be able to put the chains up front without destroying anything. But surely avoid 'ladder' chains that produce repeated impacts on the suspension. If they had not been so expensive, I would like to have 'honeycomb' chains. They provide constant mesh.
  • zoomy2zoomy2 Posts: 50
    Got internet access again, maybe a laptop should be on my wish list with a wireless connection.

Boy these CRD's sure don't shift the same. Mine goes into OD at 59 and 1950 RPM.

I don't think that you should have any problems pulling a Casita travel trailer; 16' & 17' models have a axle weight capacity of 3500#, the 13' is 2200#. They are shaped more like an Airstream so they should pull easy and being only 6'8" wide.... I looked at the 16" Freedom and Liberty models, I just didn't like the single axle. Load weight balance is more important as it will induce sway if not loaded properly.
    I have see alot of these campers out there and their owners really like them.
    Question: What does you CRD's RPM at 60MPH or 62MPH? Trailer tires are only rated for max. speed of 65MPH, so towing you what to stay under this speed.
    Synlubes,

I sent the specs for the 5W-30 series 3000 oil to V.M. Motori for their input and they shot it down except for use in cold weather. The message was that it was too thin for use in the engine at temperatures exceeding 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

I like the 15W-40 because of the very low vaporization rate. The hoses from the turbo to aftercooler, and aftercooler to intake stayed pretty dry and clean.
    Caribou,

I have considered getting "S class" chains for all of the wheels but there does not appear to be enough space between the inside of the tire and the front suspension for a chain to fit through reliably. There is plenty of room in the rear.

I agree with you however that putting chains on all four wheels is ideal.
    you mean i have to move to switzerland to run my oil just kidding your answer from motori was correct but you have to remember they are mechanical engineers not lubrication engineers
  • hamchamphamchamp Posts: 33
    Farout, Just wondered while you were waiting for your replacement vehicle, did you get any paperwork stating what your deal was. Also, when did you know when your deal was finalized and what you had to pay. Did anyone stay in touch with you. We called ISG and left a msg. but haven't had a call back in 2 or 3 weeks. I did call the 1-800 Customer number and spoke to a gentlemen, who told us that the Jeep was listed for a replacement. He referred us to ISG., however they haven't responded. Thank you Hamchamp
  • goodcrdgoodcrd Posts: 253
    Does anyone else notice the A/C compressor cycling on and off at a stop light with the HVAC set to floor heat with the A/C button not engaged? I just noticed it while stopped at a long light. I don't want to take it back to the dealer but this will hurt my fuel economy.
  • 05crdjeep05crdjeep Posts: 59
    That operation is normal. They all do that.

I think the presumption is that you're muddy or wet feet make moisture and dry air coming out on the floor will fog the windows less.

AC cycles on Defrost settings as well.
  • nescosmonescosmo Posts: 453
    Goodcd... I do not think so it is the heater. the heater act and look like the a/c, it has a clutch; You can see it on the left hand side of the engine.

Nescosmo.
    Synlubes,

Something funny struck me late last night. If you go on the Amsoil website and look at the recommended products, the European Blend 5W-40 is the recommended oil for the CRD by Amsoil, not the 5W-30 that you are using.
    you are right but the 5-30 3000 is the best oil amsoil makes but it is exspenife big diesels all over the world have ran on 30 weight oil for years and the big powerplants today still run a lot of 30 weight the new cars are already are recomending 5-20 oils all fords and most crysler products and getting ready to go to 0-20 oils amsoil already has it but you are right about what you have read i worry more about the egr valve and torque converter than i do the engine have a nice day
  • HI ZOOMY,
    I checked my RPM's today...it really depends on when the CRD wants to change into high gear, but when it does it is....1750-1800 rpm at 55,60 & 62 mph......1850 rpm at 65 mph !!! that is in high gear plus i think they call it "lock-up" ??
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    Hamchanp: We received nothing as far as paper work, only a phone call from ISG. We started looking in the Advanced Search on Jeep.Com for the dealer y=that had what we wanted. Then we contacted the dealer who had what we wanted and asked if they would do a dealer trade. We explained our situation with the buy back and the dealer whom we bought the original Jeep with. The dealer was most agreeable, and we called our dealer from whom we bought our original jeep CRD from. He said ok and had to wait for the paper work from ISG. As near as I can recall after we heard from ISG it was about 7 days after that when we got the Compass. However, we are not totally settled yet. They took off .05 cents a mile from what was the MSRP, and that more than paid off the CRD, we had it financed. The dealer had to get a paid off certificate on the CRD before it is sent to ISG. After ISG gets the clear Title then we are all done. So far we are waiting for the paid off title. It could be another 2 weeks before it's all done. Our CRD was taken to some place that DCX wanted and then to the auction. We did get copies of everything that ISG sent, as we insisted that anything we signed we got copies of.

Perhaps you need to talk to a higher up person at ISG? We really like the COMPASS! 25.1 mpg and it's so smooth. We have been treated very well, and we are blessed. Let us know how it turns out.

farout
  • hamchamphamchamp Posts: 33
    Farout, Thanks for the response. Good news on the home front. Just got a call from ISG that they have been in touch with the dealer. If you remember, the dealer with the Jeep in a heap, and the dealer with the replacement veh. with the VIN # that was given to the district manager, couldn't agree on a dealer trade. I knew the replacement vehicle was in VA, and I looked it up on the internet, and gave that information to ISG. This dealership is about 60 miles from our house, and that is doable. It looks like it is finally moving along. I will keep in touch. Hamchamp