Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Why You Shouldn't Always Rely on Technology - 2014 Toyota Highlander Limited Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2015 in Toyota
imageWhy You Shouldn't Always Rely on Technology - 2014 Toyota Highlander Limited Long-Term Road Test

Here's what happens when you depend too much on technology. In this instance, our 2014 Toyota Highlander ended up with a broken rear window.

Read the full story here

Comments

• oldparnelloldparnell Member Posts: 37
    One mean parking space, Backing in makes sense so you don't bonk your head, I guess you get what you can take in LA.
  • sdpadsfansdpadsfan Member Posts: 14
    It seems like everybody I know has somehow damaged their vehicle at one time or another while backing into/out of a parking space (Myself included). I absolutely love the rear view camera on my CX-5, but I have found myself almost too reliant on it. I am glad you posted this because it is definitely a reminder for me to be more aware of what is behind me.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    Manufacturers should just add backup sensors in the top area of the car too. Those things are cheap. Add more. And then have the display somehow indicate what area of the car is in danger of colliding.
  • yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    I've done something similar in a forklift and again in my car. The forklift incident was much worse.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Wow. $865. The front windshield only cost us $275 (including tax) from a local installed on our 2013 Pilot (similar model as the Highlander) with auto-dimming glass and Pilkington (OEM quality) glass. That seems insanely expensive unless it has auto-sensing-wipers or whatever.
  • bolotiboloti Member Posts: 47
    Wow. There is central mirror in the car as well if you don't want to turn your head.... Or, perhaps, park the car front wheels in ?
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    boloti said:

Wow. There is central mirror in the car as well if you don't want to turn your head.... Or, perhaps, park the car front wheels in ?

Agree. Those pipes had to look big as life in the regular inside rearview mirror - you didn't even need to turn your head.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    There wasn't a sign that said "Head in parking only"?
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

Wow. $865. The front windshield only cost us $275 (including tax) from a local installed on our 2013 Pilot (similar model as the Highlander) with auto-dimming glass and Pilkington (OEM quality) glass. That seems insanely expensive unless it has auto-sensing-wipers or whatever.

Auto dimming windshield? Or do you mean the tinted strip along the top?
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    schen72 said:

Manufacturers should just add backup sensors in the top area of the car too. Those things are cheap. Add more. And then have the display somehow indicate what area of the car is in danger of colliding.

Or... you could save the money, weight, etc. and simply look where you're going and not rely on technology as Ed suggested.

This isn't intended to be a dig at anyone but come on folks... are we that lazy that we think manufacturers should be adding more crap to our cars simply because we can't turn our heads over our shoulders and look where we are going? Back up cameras are GREAT tools which supplement common sense and good driving practice and frankly, come in handy with today's vehicle designs (which often are at odds with good visibility) but they shouldn't take the place of good habits.
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    Still no substitute for well-adjusted mirrors & a set of limber neck muscles.
    Never owned a vehicle with cameras until this year. I have made a conscious effort to not rely exclusively on the camera.
    Love it on my truck when backing up to the trailer though.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2015
    Sensors in a rental car saved my bacon a few years back visiting Chicago. Would not have seen the skinny bollard otherwise backing up. Bring on the nannies (I can use all the help I can get).

I think the pickup cams are really sold for hooking up your trailer hitch. My brother loves that feature on his F-150.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    One company I worked for offered a dingy underground garage for parking. Even with careful maneuvering, was all to easy to hit overhead and protruding ducts and pipes and get dings and dents on my Malibu Maxx.