Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Doors locking

pkb129pkb129 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2015 in Buick
I just got out of my car, closed the door, and I heard the horn honk. My keys are still in the ignition (and my purse in the care of course) and the car completely LOCKED all the doors, so I can not get into my car.

Anyone want to explain WHY this happened and WHY it would be designed to do this?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Oh, a ghost in the machine. These can be hard to diagnose. If I had to take a wild, but rational, guess, I'd say that there's some defective wiring in the door (or entry into the door) causing some kind of CAN bus error. A computer scan might pick up the problem, or at least localize it.

Here's an explanation of how to DIAGNOSE A CAN BUS
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited April 2015
    pkb129 said:

I just got out of my car, closed the door, and I heard the horn honk. My keys are still in the ignition (and my purse in the care of course) and the car completely LOCKED all the doors, so I can not get into my car.
    Anyone want to explain WHY this happened and WHY it would be designed to do this?

Please let me know what model and what year it is.

There was a setting on the driver information center for one car I had that was called delayed locking. After a certain number of seconds or some time interval like that the car doors would lock. I believe it may have tooted the horn first as a warning a few seconds in advance. The treachery in that for ME was that if you laid your keys on the seat, dash, etc., the car locked your keys inside.

My thoughts on that are that the sensor that says the key is in the ignition always keeps the car from locking the doors with the manual power locks or the keyfob locks. Perhaps your keys were not competely into the ignition slot and didn't trigger the protection sensor. You can test that later by sitting in the car and opening the driver door and trying to activate the power lock button. It won't work with the key in the ignition.

I have to bypass that when I use my second set of keys to keep the car running while I go into the post office to check my box for mail. I have to have door closed, power lock all doors, then manually unlock driver door, get out, and manually lock it and close it. All because the driver key is in the ignition.

Tell me the year and model. I have sets of service manuals for some recent Buicks.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,