Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Toyota Sienna 2004+

Comments

• hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Thanks. I can easily understand why you are interested in a Sienna to replace it. I have been impressed with Toyota reliability from personal experience.
  • mduartemduarte Posts: 7
    When do the 2005s come out?

Michelle
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    Mileage comments?

Long-Term Test: 2004 Toyota Sienna

Steve, Host
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    I looked at and sat in a couple of 2004 Siennas on March 31, 2003. I printed the 2004 Sienna Specifications from the Toyota website on January 31, 2003.
         It appears that the 2004 Sienna were in production in late 2002. Thus, the 2004 Sienna will be the NEWEST model Sienna for almost 24 months.
         The Sienna will most likely be the #1 selling 2004 model minivan since it is a VERY nice minivan with Toyota reliability and will be on sale for almost 2 full years.
         There will probably be more 2004 Siennas sold than 2004 Caravan (short wheel base and Grand Caravan) since the 2005 Caravan were released early as was the 2004 Sienna. Model year 2004 Caravans were in production for about 6 months or less.
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    Yes, how can the best fuel economy be lower than the average fuel economy? Or is that the best fuel economy for July only? Sounds like Edmunds might need a mathematician on staff or a clearer presentation of the fuel economy numbers. Those are some pretty awful numbers otherwise (large SUV territory).
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    It's confusing - there's mpg for the quarter being reported on and mpg lifetime.

Steve, Host
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    The "best" and "worst" figures are only for the preceeding test interval. The average fuel economy is measured over the lifetime of the vehicle.

Steve - those guys in LA need to get the Sienna out on some more road trips. This 99% city (clogged LA artery) driving is KILLING the Sienna which, from most accounts, gets much better mileage than you guys are reporting. Just my .02.
  • texasmomtexasmom Posts: 114
    I was scrolling back to this time last year and it seems that people were already able to see 2004 Siennas at their local dealers. What's going on this year? Are they deliberately holding back on 2005 info? Would the out the door price on a 2005 ordered today be likely to be much more than a similar 2004 purchased today?
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    The 2004 model was introduced early (March '03 intro if I remember correctly). New 2005 models should be in the showroom mid/late September. AFAIK, the only differences between the '04 and the '05 would be different packages and/or standard equipment on the various models.

I've no idea what Toyota may do with pricing on the '05 models since their main competitor (Ody) will be brand spankin' new. I wouldn't think Toyota would get too cute with any price increases in the face of stiffer competition from Honda. Who knows.
  • heywood1heywood1 Posts: 850
    Keep in mind, Toyota raised the base price of the '04 Sienna by $220 back in April. I'm sure '05 model will have a similar increase. It may be difficult to compare '04 apples to '05 apples, as I understand option packages are going to be simplified and/or modified for 2005.
  • texasmomtexasmom Posts: 114
    When you say they increased the price, do you mean that they increased it compared to the 2003 Sienna or that they increased it from where it had been when the 2004 Sienna was first introduced? I know that the past can help predict the future, so I am curious. Thanks for claryifying if possible.
  • heywood1heywood1 Posts: 850
    Toyota increased the price(by $220, at least in my region) from where it had been when the '04 was first introduced. I bought my van in March of '04, and prices went up a month later.
  • I'm looking at a writeup in Automobile magazine for September 2004 - of the 05 Ody. Doesn't appear to be much of a threat to the new Sienna, if you ask me. The "spy photos" in the article show what looks to me like a cross between a new Sienna front paired with a 1980s vintage Dodge Caravan rear (I think it ruined the Ody's lines, which I actually liked). The article says this: "New features include 15 more HP for the V-6, available cylinder deactivation for better fuel economy, and a new 5-speed automatic... and the now famous third row bench seat now splits and folds into the floor in two halves, like the Sienna's. DVD is bigger and there are standard side curtain airbags for all three rows..."

Other than the cylinder deactivation and more horsepower, this "new" Ody looks to be a lot like the 2004 Sienna in what it's offering. Frankly I've never seen the rationale behind a minivan horsepower "arms race" and the cylinder deactivation feature would probably be of limited usefulness - kind of like laser speed control.
  • powder73powder73 Posts: 15
    I'll finally get my hand on a brand new sienna 04 AWL LE that should arrive on the 10th of august....brand spank new! I nearly had to wait for an 05 cause here in canada AWD model are pretty rare...and no XLW AWD were available!!! So in the end we took the LE and color was not an option!! LOL..

But in the end i can't wait to get my hand on it!!
  • Considering purchasing a 2004 LE. Checked out the vehicle, took a test drive. I would like to double-check that I didn't miss anything with respect to control of both headlights and interior lighting, which is very important to me (due to being into astronomy).

+ There are no daytime running lights in base package; can only get in an option package.

+ Headlights are under full manual control. They do not go on automatically when car is started (in the dark or otherwise), they don't go on automatically while driving due to any car device sensing that it's dark, they don't stay on for any length of time after the car is turned off (i.e., delayed off), and they can be turned on and (especially) off whenever desired, even if the car is running in the dark.

+ Most interior lights can be manually controlled. Three way switch can either turn them on, turn on by a door opening, or be off, even with door open.

+ There are lights on interior bottom of front doors that apparently go on when door is opened and are not controlled by the 3 way switch. I only noticed these two. I think these will be easy with which to deal - can cover them up if need be.

Have I covered all the bases here?

Thanks.

Doug
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    I've answered your questions in the Caravan board, and I'll do here, too...

You're right, the daytime running lamps and automatic headlamps (which senses the darkness) is available on higher-end models only (XLE and Limited).

Headlamp off time delay is off by default, but can be changed at the dealer (that's what the manual say).

With the interior lights you're correct I think.
  • Thank you once again, samnoe. You sure do get around. BTW, the GC is now off of my list; the LE is at the top.

Doug
  • filodfilod Posts: 189
    I have the daytime running light for my LE.

The headlights are manually turn off, which I find frsutrating if you forget to turn off your lights once in a while.

I can still remember several years agao, I have a low end colt mirage (not sure anymore), and it turns off the headlights if you forget. Well, anyway, that is Toyota... you have to go to the next option to get additional features

Wife is enjoying the vehicle though..
  • deepandeepan Posts: 342
    IIRC when manual lights when you remove the key and open the drivers side door the lights will go out. this is a very old feature. i had it on my 87 camry!
  • fisfis Posts: 18
    I am deciding between the XLE and the XLE Limited. I see that the XLE has 16" wheels. The Limited has 17" wheels. Does the Limited therefore have a larger turning radius?
  • Does anyone know if there will be dual power doors and a power liftgate avaiable on the LE for 2005? And maybe possibly leather, too?
    Thanks!
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    I believe that the turning radius is the same. Also, I read somewhere that the '05 XLE will have 17 inch wheels standard. A short turning radius is certainly one of the outstanding features of the Sienna.
  • On toyota.com, it says that their silver exterior color has an extra charge cost. Does anyone know how much extra it is? Thanks so much.
  • rhopfrhopf Posts: 29
    I just got a new Sienna and was wondering what is the best way to break the engine in? We are planning a long trip in a week and was wondering if it would hurt it to take it on the trip or do I need to break the engine in first.
  • When I got mine in March, I had a 240 mile drive just to get home. The dealer told me to vary my speed on the highway and not use the cruise control for the first 1000 miles.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Posts: 758
    Edmunds' long term sienna only gives 14-16 miles to the gallon. Is this common? What happened to the great EPA figures? Could somebody post their miliage please? Thanks
  • raydahsraydahs Posts: 449
    It's a mystery how they're getting that kind of mileage, my 99 Trooper obtained 14/16 MPG with 100k miles on it! They must be driving in traffic all of the time with the A/C on. I did a search on Sienna in the "post your Van mileage" thread, here’s the results of real world.

OBTW my LE AWD is getting 19 to 23, 80% hwy.

/[email protected]@.ee93be2!keywords=allin%3Amsgtext%20limit%3A.ee93be2%20Si- - enna&count=20
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Posts: 758
    Thanks for the reply. I was aware of the excellent numbers posted on the "post your milage" board, but wasn't sure which side is the norm. It puzzles me how Edmunds are getting such low numbers even if they sit in traffic all the time with the AC running. BTW, 19-23 with 80% highway driving is not too shabby at all for an AWD model. What's your city milage?
  • raydahsraydahs Posts: 449
    I don't think I have the data to verify "City" mileage. My daily commute is 70 miles going in about 30 mph stop and go traffic for approximately 15 miles, coming home is a smooth flowing 70 mph. I live in an area of rolling hills with an elevation gain of 1200 ft. So I guess it qualifies as an 80/20 split. So far my worst tank is 18, the best was 24.5 during break-in period. Except for my previous Civics, I’ve always maintained an average of what the sticker has under “City” conditions.
  • gtahobegtahobe Posts: 42
    I'm on my second tank on my '04 XLE#5, FWD. According to the computer, my first tank was 23.4 (miles/#gallons was slightly higher). I've burned more than half of the second tank, and the computer now shows 24.0 mpg average. Probably only about 1/3 highway. I am careful of my accelerations and don't care if people pass me.
This discussion has been closed.