Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna 2004+

Comments

• beernutbeernut Posts: 329
    Congratulations and good luck with your new van. I hope you love it as much as I do mine.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I'm not exactly against the 8 passenger model, but the 7 fits my family just fine as its me, Mrs. jchan2, and 2 teenagers (neither of whom drive) most of the time.
  • Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY installed all 3 car seats in the middle row? Would anyone recommend/not recommend this? I'm a newbie conidering a 7 vs 8 passenger Sienna... Thanks!
  • cobbocobbo Posts: 34
    I'm an 8-seater owner, and while I've installed 3 car seats in the middle row @ the same time, the obvious problem with doing that is that you can't tumble the seat to let someone into the back row...typically when I'm transporting 3 in car seats I'll use the middle row if it's just me & one other adult in the front, otherwise I'll set one or two in the rear (since thats all you can fit back there using latch...)....
  • Thanks cobbo. That helps!
  • nickelnickel Posts: 147
    Checking both options, me and wife choose the 8 pass. The middle 2nd. row seat is confortable enough for an adult. But rear vision suffers a lot, especially when you have a child seat on the middle seat. When my wife went to take the driving exam, we removed the seat son she wouldn`t have any problems. Then, we decided not to put on again. The lateral middle seats are confortable enough, even if they`re not "captain chairs". Then, there were the holes of the middle seat on the floor. We bring a mat that we have on home to block the holes of that seat, but then wife decided to put the seat on again, so everything went back as original.
    My opinion is that is better to have 8 seats, you don't give anything in comfort, get a lot more utility and versatility, but have to consider checking a bit more on the side mirror than on the normal front mirror.
  • wheels13wheels13 Posts: 51
    Has anyone read when the 2007 Siennas will be available ?
  • http://www.donlen.com/buildstart_toyota.asp
    According to this Orders will be accepted starting in September and Production will start in November and They will be delivered in January, but I would guess the delivery date would depend on where you live.
    http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?makeid=47&revid=50033&modelid=436&acode=- &crpPage=summary.jsp&mode=&year=2007&myid=&revlogtype=21&section=reviews&mode=&a- ff=national
    This link confirms the 3.5 for the Sienna.
  • I have a 4-year old a 2-year old and a new born.
    I plan to seat the new born in the middle of the second row and the 2 others in the third row all with child car seats.
    But eventually I plan to use the 3 second row seats only to seat all 5 of us, including mom.
    My only problem is that the 8 passenger does not come in leather trim.
    Isn't leather a lot more easier to clean up?
    Please, any advise on keeping the interior clean will help.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Posts: 681
    I haven't had cloth with kids, but my experience is that leather, in general, cleans better.

FYI - With your intention of putting two carseats in the rear, my understanding sit hat the rear drivers-side seet does not have latch. At least that's the way it is in my 2004.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    The above link states the 3.5L engine, but also states that 5-speed transmission is standard. Is it true or just a mistake? I know that all Toyota vehicles outfitted with the 3.5L has the 6-speed tranny?
  • No, the Avalon also has the 3.5 with a 5 speed making the Camry the only one with the Six speed.
  • Does anyone know if Toyota has addressed the "unacceptable" rating on its 2007 Sienna head restraints that made the news earlier this year? Also, any other safety changes to the 2007 Sienna?

Phil
  • Can some one please advise if the XLE model and LE model have any difference in handling, noise level, reliability and safety? Thanks in advance.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,469
    Should not be much (if any) difference.
  • :confuse: :confuse:
    Does anyone have any advice on the Sienna FWD in the snow/ice? We live in southeastern PA and do get some aggressive winters. We were all set to get an LE FWD until our neighbors complained about their XLE FWD and traded it in for an XLE AWD. So now my wife wants the AWD. Most of the vans I see up here are FWD, so I assume people are doing okay. But I was looking for some more advice. Is there a noticeable difference between the FWD and AWD (other than gas mileage) in snow/ice?

Thanks.

Mark G
    mlgss

:confuse: :confuse:
  • exb0exb0 Posts: 539
    I live in Northern Virginia and I’m looking for a FWD XLE with option package 8 (HU). I am having hard time finding one equipped this way, because apparently they are not ordered this way in the Midatlantic region.

One of the features I am interested in are the memory seats and power folding side mirrors. Toyota online brochure says that these features are available with option package 8. However, one of the sales people I spoke to tells me that he is willing to order an XLE package 8 for me, but memory seats and power folding mirrors are not available on any XLEs and I should buy an LTD AWD. Needless to say, I don’t believe this guy.

My question is, has anybody purchased an 06 XLE package 8 in the Midatlantic and does it have those features?
  • I haven't tried the Sienna AWD, but I have had several AWD cars and 4WD suvs. I would rather drive a front wheel drive car or van with good studless snow tires, than any AWD car with all seasons. The snows help in turning and not getting stuck, but most of all in stopping on ice or compacted snow. I put studless snows on my AWD Element and on my FWD Sienna. The Element may be a little better when both have the snows, but the Sienna with snows is better than the Element with all season tires.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    As of the introduction of the RX350 Toyota sems to have gone back to using the VC (it was dropped for the entire RX330 production run)to apportion engine torque to the rear upon slippage at the front.

If the Sienna uses the VC to facilitate AWD functionality then the AWD model is viable enough over FWD to justify its purchase. Otherwise a FWD w/VSC/Trac/BA/etc. Sienna will likely offer you as much safety and reliability in adverse roadbed conditions as would an AWD.

But for true, certain, sure, safety and reliable mobility in adverse roadbed conditions I would recommend a RWD based AWD with manual transmission such as the BMW X3.
    I have 4 snows on my Sienna and it is amazing in the snow and ice up in South Dakota. I would take it any day in any winter condition over an AWD Sienna with all weather tires.

Rember that 2 times some traction is a lot better than 4 times no traction. Also braking is more important than accelerating in bad weather (it keeps you from hitting that tree or going through that intersection) and AWD does not help braking, but snow tires sure do.
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Posts: 200
    Don't forget about trying to make a left turn across traffic on a snow / slush covered road, or climbing a hilly driveway, or merging on to a highway. These are just several ways that AWD will TRUMP 2wd EVERY TIME.
    :shades:
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I know CarMax-Laurel Toyota in Maryland had a few Package 8 Siennas a few days ago. Might want to try there.

The Package 8 should include memory seats but I'm not sure on the power folding mirrors.
    "Don't forget about trying to make a left turn across traffic on a snow / slush covered road, or climbing a hilly driveway, or merging on to a highway. These are just several ways that AWD will TRUMP 2wd EVERY TIME"

Not if the FWD has snow tires and AWD does not as I said in my post. ;) :shades: Also being able to stop is always more important than being able to go.
    Hmmm... I never used snow tires in 25 years of living in Chicago and only got stuck once. Just a thought. Oh - did I mention it was RWD only in those days?

AWD and Traction Control numb my senses and make me lazy at the wheel. I just got back into RWD!!! Yummy. :)
    I will aggree that snow tires will make a difference stopping. But the AWD with all seasons will still out do the snow tire equipped fwd in the scenarios that I listed originally... IMHO :)

Beernut, we are talking minivans here not rwd sport sedans ! But I'm happy for ya :shades:
    Thanks. Its a coupe, actually. The point is that everybody's needs are different. IMO, anybody that finds themselves in a position where they REALLY need AWD in a mini-van probably shouldn't have gotten themselves there in the first place. We operate over 100 vehicles in the construction field. I was responsible for purchasing many of them and, as directed, bought all 4WD units... very much against my better judgment. Just having 4WD CAUSES our people to drive where they shouldn't - and when they do, they get in trouble.

Technically speaking, rep2, nothing can be as capable in snow or mud as AWD or some other rendition of 4WD. But... weighing the purchase cost, maintenance, insurance and other doo-dad costs of AWD against one's real need often results in a FWD choice, like it did for me.
    Gottcha, I travel for a living in the midwest. Do I have to have AWD? No, but when I am in Minot, ND after 8 inches of snow, I like having it. Please no warning about I shouldn't drive in the first place. I understand when it is safe to drive and when it is not.

Living in the midwest my whole life I have learned how to drive on snow and understand the reality of traction both stopping and going! For me AWD is an awesome option and my G 35X and Mini-Van, have to have it ;)

So Far in 8 years of owning awd mini vans I have spent a grand total of $400.00 in maintenance of the AWD!!! If I stayed in a hotel for an extra weekend every time is snowed while I was traveling. I would have spent a lot more money than that. In other words the added maintenance thing doesn't really hold a lot of water. For me that is :D
    Front wheel drive and 4 snow/ice tires has gotten me everywhere I need to go in South Dakota for the last 15 years. Weather has never made me change my drivng plans (unless the roads are closed and your drive wheels are a moot point). The roads are always closed before I start having trouble driving, so even a hummer with studded tires is not allowed to drive (they put the steel gates accross the interstate).

I can't even count the number of AWD vehicles I pass that are in the ditch (often shorty after they pass me - seems they always have to pass the non AWD to show how good their vehicle is in the snow). I know not everybody with AWD winds up in the ditch (and some may be very good drivers) but there sure are a lot of them there.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    there is a wide world, a HUGE wide world, of difference between most AWD systems and any 4WD/4X4. And I'm not speaking on/of the issue of low range gearing.

There is NO AWD system that is based on a FWD platform that will provide satisfactory service if you are used to driving a 4WD. And there are very few AWD systems that are based on rear drive platforms (no need).
    Minot? In the winter?

YUK!
This discussion has been closed.