-July 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Should I disable my ABS when bedding in my new pads

99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
edited May 2015 in Nissan
just replaced the ceramic pads on my 2003 pathfinder 4 wheel DR captive rotors, the rotors had some rough surface yet within specs of thickness however they stopped well and even until I replaced the pads, now the truck has steering wheel shudder , I did bid them in right , I cleaned the rotors real good after I notice about 2 black spots on the rotor after about driving 400 miles around at slow speeds say 50 mph , so I sanded then clean and resprayed with the brake cleaner and it did get a little better. , still the shudder which stops shuddering at a 6 mph . my question, if I disable my ABS will the pads Bid in better and faster? then I can reconnect the fuse for the ABS when all is well or is this just a useless thought.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I don't think so. In general, heavy braking is to be avoided during pad break-in. I think your problem is the old rotors. Sounds like you are getting a "grip-slip,grip-slip" effect because of irregular surfaces on the old rotors, which prevent the new pads from laying down an even transfer film.

I think you're going to have to pull the rotors and turn them or replace them. Before you do that, check the rotors for run-out. Excessive run out might also cause these vibration issues.