Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Excessive Brake Wear

jlittjlitt Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
Hi,
I got a 2000 Siverado, 1500, 4WD, ABS brakes. I heard some noise from the brakes so I brought it to the dealer. All 4 rotors were seriously scored - you can feel a deep gouge down the center. One of the rotors needs to be replaced - the inside rotor plate was paper thin while the outside plate was about 1/4"! The dlr said "Oh No" not warranty item - the car sits too much and rust is the cause, he says.
I drive it every weekend - has 15k miles. It's stored outside on a blacktop. Has anyone heard about this problem? Could it be the ABS malfunctioning? If you can, please post response ASAP - got to get back to the dealer.

Comments

• wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    I've had vehicles sit a few weeks with parking brake on and calipers wouldn't release right away when I went to move. The only truck I ever had rust problems was a 12 year old Chevy that I used drive on the beach - the salty air caused the parking brake cable to seize up from rust. But it was REAL obvious that something was not right and I got it fixed reeeeeal quick.
       Didn't you feel the rotors getting eaten up? Vibration/grinding through the brake pedal; sluggish acceleration; funny noises when you stepped on the brake? The truck trying to make sharp turns every time you braked!? If it's a 2000 with only 15K on it, seems as though you let it go for more than just 5 or 10 miles before you gave it any attention. Sounds like this problem is a two way street, a problem with the brakes and negligence on your part for letting it go for too long. If dealer finds another problem that caused excessive wear I think they would fix it under warranty, but I think you're gonna take a hit on the rotors. Wearing a rotor down paper thin is a little too much.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    Ask your dealer were it says the vehicle needs to be driven everyday in order to keep the pads from rusting to the rotor.

In my opinion, a vehicle should be able to sit for extended periods without having the rotors rust that badly.

Dusty
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    i had the dealer replace the rear pads and rotors due to a loud squeaking noise. This was at 17K miles and it was covered under warranty
  • akjbmwakjbmw Posts: 231
    A 2000 model with 15K miles. Driven every day. Are those miles in short trips in town with alot of time on the brake? Automatic trans?

I am believing that the brake pads are supposed to be the wear point so that the rotors will last longer.

A bit of gravel can get lodged into the caliper assembly and wreak havoc on the workings.

The slide part of the caliper should be checked to make sure that it can slide easily to follow the movement of the caliper during flexing of components and pad wear.

I spend a lot more on gasoline to move my 5 thousand plus pound truck than the Sable that my wife drives. The same thing is true with the wear factor on brake pads to stop them. Bigger rotors on the truck, but not that much more pad surface.
    The little BMW that I had a long time ago was lighter yet, manual trans that I enjoyed using all gears to go faster and to slow down. Brake pads lasted a really long time by comparison.

So, short version... Life in the land of trucks. I like it.
  • jlittjlitt Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the replies.

I'm really not someone who neglects his vehicle. Believe it or not, the brake "rub" sound I heard only a couple of weeks before I took it to the dlr-and it didn't happen all the time! I would also think that it would be heard long before so much damage.

The tech at the dlr says the rust builds on the surface of the rotor and grinds in to the rotor on application of the brakes - that's what makes the groove in the disc. Also, I don't know why on the rotor that needs replacement only 1 side of the rotor is ground thin. My Honda Civic lasted 120K miles before i hit the wear indicator and needed the pads replaced - and those rotors were only slightly rough (Honda bonds their pads so no rivets to worry about).
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Was it the actual rotor or the pad on the inside that was worn so badly?

I've never seen a rotor wear unevenly. If it did this, something in the caliper mechanism is not releasing and one pad is dragging.

If so, you need work on the pad, rotor, and the caliper needs work to this does not continue after need pads and rotor are installed.
  • mullins87mullins87 Posts: 959
    A three year old truck with only 15k miles, it must sit alot. I have had experience with this sort of thing. I used to keep two vehicles, a GMC 1/2 ton truck for weekend duties/hauling and a Lincoln Town Car as my daily driver. While both vehicles stayed in a dry garage, the truck did develop stuck calipers. I think bolivar is right, the slide pins on at least the one side is rusted and is not letting the caliper release once the brake pedal is released.

Whether or not the repair will be covered under warranty is up to the dealership or how much you want to push this. I do agree with the others that you had to have felt at least a pull to one side, something like this doesn't happen overnight. My recommendation to you is to replace the calipers along with the pads and rotor, and drive the truck more often.
This discussion has been closed.