Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Extended Warranties

Comments

• walletlesswalletless Posts: 40
    edited January 2012
    Thanks jipster.
    I called 3 Nissan dealerships nearby and offered that I would like to buy the M+ package for half the advertised price (i.e. $950) - 1 of the dealer refused immediately, and 2 told me they will get back to me.. let's see - if they agree I might get it (worth it just for the 30/60k warranty and oil changes alone), otherwise I will not buy it. I explained to them that I am a low miles driver, and will not get the full benefit of the M+ package if I bought it as-is, and am better off paying for the services individually if that was the case.

CVT is good so far. The only time I realize the difference is when I am merging into a freeway - you see the RPM shoot up for few seconds as you are accelerating, before it stabilizes. The unfortunate downside of CVT seems to be that the gas average is lower than non-CVT, but I am OK with that given that the difference is only a couple miles per gallon.

I have not yet driven the car on steep slopes - where apparently CVT helps the most be shifting into the right gear to minimize braking... so I cannot talk about that yet.

Overall, I think I made the right choice in Altima - it was the best tradeoff between cost and reliability. The Sonata appealed me, but the ride was not as smooth, and the interior did not feel as roomy (although they apparently have more cubic feet inside than Altima). The only question with the Altima is reliability - will the car run for 200k miles without needing major repairs - something my 97 Toyota Corolla does very well (I am at 125k miles on my Corolla and its still running like a champ).
  • jipsterjipster Louisville, KentuckyPosts: 5,722
    Good move in trying for a lower price. Dealerships have HUGE profit margins for most maintence items. Yeah, they'll get you in for that $20 oil change (anything under $30 is pretty good), but the fuel system cleaning for $140... just a $20 bottle of Seafoam. More than likely the two that call back will try to bump you up in price, hold firm and just give them what you think it's worth.

My next car will probably be a Altima, Sonota or Fusion. Altima cost a little more, but most auto magazines have them at the top for performance and reliability.
  • Has anyone used http://www.nissanextendedwarranty.com/warranty/nissan_maintenance_plus.html site before? They claim to sell factory package for the Maintenance+Plus, and have quoted a significantly cheaper price than the dealerships...

But since they are a 3rd party (not sold by Nissan itself).. I wanted to solicit opinions from anyone here who have purchased from them..
  • jipsterjipster Louisville, KentuckyPosts: 5,722
    I'd be careful if not backed by Nissan. If their company goes belly up, you're screwed.
  • Yes, I verified that this is Nissan-backed warranty, although it's sold by a 3rd party. I will call Nissan as well once to verify with them if they are legit.

One caveat I noticed is, that the oil changes are by months (i.e., I *have* to change oil every 3 months even if I have driven way less than 3750 miles), but the servicing and tire rotations are not. In other words, the M+ is sold with a 4 years/60k cap.. but if I do not reach 60k miles within 4 years, that service is not needed, and the money I paid for goes wait.

The more I think about this, the less sense it makes in buying one of these (unless there was a plan that just covered oil & filter changes.. but there isn't one).
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,077
    I seriously doubt you'll come out ahead on that purchase. You might break even, but what's the point of that?

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• The reason I was looking for a good deal is so I do not have to constantly keep haggling the price when I go in for routine maintenance.

If I am barely breaking even though, it is not worth it, because more than likely, I will miss out a few services because I have not driven the car enough miles before the contract expires (i.e., if I buy to 4 years/60k miles package, and at the end of 4 years, I have only driven 50k miles, I cannot do the 60k, and the price for that service which was built-in to the package price is lost).
    Totally understand the purpose of looking at the contract, but unless you know you'll be meticulous about service and, as you mentioned, will use all of the miles, you're probably better off just purchasing services individually as needed.

Also, if (god forbid) your car was to be totalled, or you had to move somewhere where a Nissan dealership was very inconvenient, you'd be out of luck. Unlikely, I know. I mean, if you'd rather just pay up front and have the whole thing out of the way, the maintenance package does accomplish that. Just want you to make your choice with all factors considered.

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Thanks kirstie. Yes, I agree with you. At this point, after considering my low-mileage scenario, the M+ package does not seem like a good solution.

Btw, the package apparently can be cancelled at any time and you can request a pro-rated refund. I have not inquired how they calculate the pro-rated refund though (example, if they calculate based on price of retail service provided and deduct that price for things you have performed, it would be really bad).. but I know 100% that I won't drive anywhere close to the 15k miles per year average that U.S. car owners supposedly run.
  • tami10tami10 Posts: 1
    You were smart at canceling that..I bought one and have fought for them to pay for repairs...Currently my vehicle has been in the shop for 2 months because of this company..THEY ARE HORRIBLE AND VERY IGNORANT...i PAY 130 A MONTH FOR IT AND AM STILL FIGHTING TO GET THEM TO PAY OR GET ME A RENTAL...I HAVE A 4 STAR CONTRACT...ANOTHER THING IS MOST GARAGES WON'T EVEN TAKE THE INSURANCE BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO FIGHT TO GET THEM TO PAY....THEY SUCK!!!!
  • Just bought a 2012 Hyundai Accent-we paid cash for the car so the write up was fairly quick. Hyundai is bumper to bumper 5/60 so I was curious what they would offer. They offered a 3rd party Zurich contract I think around $1400 to cover the 5/60 to the 10/100 like the rest of the car. Since its not a mfg contract I was less than interested. From knowledge here and elsewhere I pointed out I was sure we could add that later-she said we had until 10,000 miles Considering the car is covered for 5 years I don't think I am too worried about it. We had Honda Care on a 2000 Model Accord when we bought it new and it seemed ok, but it was only around $600 in 2000.
  • I am a rep for an automobile extended service company. Okay, after you call me a crook please relax and consider a few facts about my company and service agreements in general. First of all my company has been in business for twenty-six years, is licensed in every state and is approved by all of the manufacturer affiliated finance companies such as Ford Motor Credit and most lenders. We are fully insured by a contractual liability policy underwritten by American Bankers Insurance, a division of Assurant. Most of the twenty or so companies that have gone out of business since 2004 were either "bonded", self-insured or a member of a risk retention group (RRG). We do not offer our products online, in the mail or on television. We pay claims same day to the repair facility via electronic transfer with no deductible or labor rate cap. A real live human answers the phone at our home office in Arkansas.
    Most extended service contracts are either named component or exclusionary. If a component such as a power steering pump or an AC compressor is not specifically named in a named component agreement, IT IS NOT COVERED. Period. If a specific component such as navigation equipment or air bag system is NOT LISTED it IS covered by an exclusionary or "factory type" agreement. Our contracts are first day coverage while many exclude the first thirty days. Many low cost drivetrain or powertain only plans have a liability cap. This means that there is a maximum that will be paid ($1,000, $1,500, etc.) regardless of the repair cost. This is usually the type coverage that dealers advertise offer as a "free" or "lifetime" warranty
    I've seen several complaints about coverage being denied because routine maintenance, usually oil changes, was not performed or recorded. This is not unique to the extended warranty but applies to every FACTORY new car warranty as well.
    Ask your salesperson or finance manager for a copy of the warranty, not the brochure, and check for what I mentioned above. Do not accept statements such as "it's not mentioned in there but we always cover that" or "I'll have that added to the agreement".
    Lastly go to www.ripoffreport.com and www.pissedconsumer.com. Many companies have been bashed on this site but I have yet to see a complaint about ASC warranty company.
  • So I'm leaning toward buying a new 2011 Saab 9-5 and since there is no warranty on new saabs because of Saab's bankruptcy I'm considering a 3rd party. The dealership recommended Zurich. I currently have a Saab and only had two warranty claims in the 4 years that I've had the car. The dealership actually allowed me to claim an ignition and brakes on the warranty too so I really don't consider those claims. I had spilled my coffee on the console and a few drops got in the ignition which they replaced for me under warranty. I bought it when it was 2 years old and had 31k miles. It's now 6 years old and has 98k. Given all this I'm not even sure if I should shell out the money for the warranty. Any suggestions/thoughts?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 26,104
    Sorry I don't have an answer ... but out of curiosity, how deep are they discounting the new car?

Aside from the warranty issue, where would you even go to get the work done?

'10 Equinox LS; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 49-car history and counting!

• texasestexases Posts: 8,921
    I'll just try this one time: DON'T buy it! There is nothing left of the company, you will take a bath in depreciation, There are MANY GOOD CARS equal to the 9-5.

Done.
  • clickrs2clickrs2 Posts: 3
    Thanks for sharing this info with us, I looked into ASC and I am impressed. Especially since buying a used car, it has low mileage for a 2009, but since it is for my daughter who just started working, worried about repair bills for her. This helps alot. I do appreciate it.
  • bnivrmbnivrm Posts: 1
    I purchased a new vehicle recently. After talking to the finance guy about extended warranties, I was told in Florida, they are not able to adjust or negotiate the extended warranty price. When I asked him for the specific law, he could not tell me.

Is this true? I can not find any information regarding this anywhere. Other than one person trying to find out the same thing after a purchase in 2009.
    I don't know about Florida in particular, but I know I would never, ever, buy an extended warranty at closing, that is the MOST expensive place to buy it. He will say ANYTHING to get you to buy. Just say no, you don't have to buy it then, anyway.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,863
    Yes it's true.

Florida considers Extended Warranties a form of insurance. It's pricing is regulated by the insurance commission and cannot be discounted. Further, many manufacturers will not allow dealers outside the state to sell warranties to Florida residents again due to the insurance commission regulations.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 3,028
    edited April 2012
    As stated, my understanding is [ and I am neither a lawyer nor a resident of Florida ] that Florida motor vehicle extended warranties are legally covered as \ treated as insurance.

They may be the only state that does so.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0600-- - 0699/0634/0634.html

634.1815 and 634.282 appear to include specific reference to uniform pricing. Most specifically, I suspect:

'(6)  UNFAIR DISCRIMINATION.—Knowingly making or permitting any unfair discrimination between individuals of the same actuarially supportable class and essentially the same hazard, in the amount of premium, policy fees, or rates charged for any motor vehicle service agreement, in any of the terms or conditions of such agreement, or in any other manner whatsoever.'

Good luck!
    - Ray
    Georgia resident . . .
    2016 BMW 340i
  • billy3554billy3554 Posts: 148
    So many reasons not to live in Florida! My favorite is the crazy $600 document fees! And of course, the Stand Your Ground lunacy! Florida sometimes seems like a third world country.
  • mrt1063mrt1063 Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    I bought a used 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid from a Toyota dealer and bought the Warranty Solutions warranty thru the dealer. I have used to twice, for a $600.00 dollar wheel bearing replacement and for a total of $1800.00 for a air conditioner condenser and a radiator replacement at a Toyota dealer. Both times the dealer called them for authorisation, they approved the wheel bearing over the phone and sent a adjuster out to OK the second repair. Everything went smooth no problems. The warranty has payed for itself.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    My favorite is the crazy $600 document fees

If you're any kind of negotiator it's very easy to get them to increase your trade in or reduce the selling price by the amount of the dealer fee.

And I'll take Stand your Ground over anti-gun high tax liberal states like CA, NY, MD, Mass, and Illinois any day.
  • billy3554billy3554 Posts: 148
    Yes, any alert negotiator should easily negotiate away the dealer fees!

Stand your ground - such a vague phrase with so many interpretations. In Maryland stand your ground generally means standing strong against such things as outrageous dealer fees. A vast difference from Florida's interpretation of the phrase.

To set the record straight and factual, we progressives in Maryland are not anti-gun or high tax lovers. It is true we do recognize the value of sensible fire arm regulation as well as the value of well spent taxes and well designed tax laws. We truly do understand the Second Amendment along with most of the others.

I think Rhode Island, Vermont, Oregon and Washington should be in any list of "anti gun high tax liberal states." All very nice places to raise a family in relative safety, in case anyone is interested in such things.
  • shortyesshortyes Posts: 8
    I found this revision recently for Florida. It might be the one thing I am glad about Rick Scott. I found this in a different forum.

Motor Vehicle Service Agreement - Forms & Rate Issues
    As a result of SB 2176, effective 06/01/2010, the requirement that forms and rates for motor vehicle service agreements (also referred to as an auto extended warranty).be filed and approved by the Office of Insurance Regulation has been lifted.
    By July 1, 2011, each service agreement sold in this state must be accompanied by a written disclosure to the consumer that the rate charged for the service agreement is not subject to regulation by the OIR. A service agreement company may comply with this requirement by including such disclosure in its service agreement form or in a separate written notice provided to the consumer at the time of sale.
    The OIR may order a service agreement company to stop using a form that:
    1. Is in violation of or does not comply with the Florida Insurance Code or an Administrative Rule.
    2. Contains any inconsistent, ambiguous, or misleading clauses, or exceptions and conditions which deceptively affect the risk purported to be assumed in the general coverage of the service agreement.
    3. Has any title, heading, or other indication of its provisions which is misleading.
    4. Is printed or otherwise reproduced in such manner as to render any material provision of the form substantially illegible.
    5. Contains any provision which is unfair or inequitable or which encourages misrepresentation.
    6. Contains any provision which makes it difficult to determine the actual insurer or service agreement company issuing the form.
    7. Contains any provision for reducing claim payments due to depreciation of parts, except for marine engines.
  • shmoopy618shmoopy618 Posts: 3
    I've gotten two quotes for extended auto warranties.

One from Assurant via USAA for 2 years, 24k miles for $1,200 - no waiting period, no deductibles.

One from Mercury via AAA for 4 years, 48k miles for $1,900 - one month waiting period, $100 deductible per breakdown/repair (regardless of the number of parts.)
  • I want to share my (excellent) experiences with GEICO MBI.

This has covered my 1999 auto (150k+ miles) and is part of my GEICO automobile insurance. It has a $250 deductible for each occurrence.

The cost (in my situation) has been $97 per year (First year, while car was under manufacturers warranty cost $30.) However, I am required to carry collision and comprehensive insurance as well so since my car is 13 years old and normally I would have dropped this, the cost is actually much higher.

(In my situation, the coverage is indefinite - so long as I keep my GEICO policy (including collision/comprehensive coverage.) Currently, I believe they only offer this for 7yr/100k miles and most owners would keep their collision/comprehensive insurance anyway.)

Here is why I like this instead of a standard extended warranty. With the standard extended warranty, the issuer receives the full premium in advance and it is to their benefit to avoid paying out claims to the extent they can. With the GEICO plan, they are collecting a portion of the premium every six months. They have additional incentive to keep the consumer happy so as to not completely loose them as an auto insurance customer.

GEICO requires that any repair be authorized by them first before work (other than the diagnosis) begins. They have always allowed me to bring my car to the service facility of my choice. The usual procedure is I report the problem to GEICO and bring the car to the shop. The shop contacts GEICO and explains the problem and repair cost. GEICO then either 1) approves the repair, 2) sends an inspector out to examine the car at the repair facility and if they agree, approves the repair or 3) explains why they won't cover the repair (normal maintenance item, they don't feel repair is needed, the failed part is covered under the manufacturer's warranty or the car was not adequately maintained (this last one never happened with me.)) When the repair is covered, I pay the $250 deductible and GEICO directly pays the rest by credit card.

The reason I have been so pleased with this coverage is because GEICO acts as an intermediary between myself and the repair facility. I am not sufficiently knowledgeable about repairs to know if I am being taken advantage of when it comes to repairs - so GEICO does this for me. I've also received advice from the GEICO claims adjuster. On one occasion when a failure (leaking exhause system) was not covered, he suggested that instead of having the full pipe replace for $750 that I just bring it elsewhere and have it corrected with flexible tubing.

So, before anyone asks, I have no financial interest in the insurance company - I'm not an owner. I've just been very please with this product.
    Hard to get worried about $97/year. My problem is with the thousand/multi thousand dollar ones. Recently had another discussion about an 86 year old being pushed to buy a $7000 warranty for a 15 year old car. THAT'S criminal!
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    No financial interest? LOL, yeah right. How long have you been working for GEICO? Us regular people don't write such wordy reviews.
    Incorrect - we have all sorts of people who write wordy reviews.
    If you don't have any evidence or don't like the post, you are free to ignore it.