Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Ford Escape Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hey nortsr1, appreciate the advice and well wishes!! went to the edmunds site and did my homework ( although after the fact ) at $ 23,700 out the door with the package III upgrades for the 2006 v-6 tribute , i am up about $200.. it was either $23,700 for the tribute or $23,500 for a 2005 nissan x-terra. after getting more info and considering i never go off road the tribute was the right choice. can you give me some tips on increasing the horsepower a bit?? ( i keep hearing about a computer chip?? , will this void the warranty?? ) also what does one do to get better gas milage?? i am a realtor who puts tons of miles on my vehicle, ( 130,000 on my 2001 escape ). i realize my v-6 2001 escape and my 2006 v-6 tribute have the same 200 hp 3.0 liter engine, thus i see no significant power performence difference. i would think after 5 years ford/mazda would have done something about this?? regards, resales.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    Your Mazda Tribute should get around 19 to 20 mpg City and 24 to 26mpg hwy. I have a 2005 Mercury Mariner (same engine as the Ford escape and your Mazda Tribute. I make at least three roundtrips per year from Florida to NJ and have always averaged 24 to 26 mpg hwy (and that is doing about 65 to 75 mph on Rt.95 most of the way (except for that darn Washington D.C. beltway area).
    I don't know why you would want a "chip" to boost your performance?? And, I would assume it might void your warranty.You are in Real Estate, so you should not be interested in hopping up your vehicle, as I assume you take customers to and from proospective home sites?
    Be happy with whayt you have..You purchased a reliable vehice that should give you many trouble-free miles.
  • lp1lp1 Posts: 2
    I'm about to close a deal on a '04 Escape XLT. It looks and runs very well, has 36K miles on it, has leather and most desirable optionals. Asking price was $15k but I negotiated $16k out of the door.

I ran a Carfax and it showed "Fleet Registration Reported", only one owner, same state (CA), average of 22K miles/year. Should this fact alone (fleet registration) raise a red flag? Will it make more difficult to sell this car in the future?

Btw, I think the $16k out of the door is a good deal. Is it so?

Thanks all for the inputs,
    LP
  • dw438dw438 Posts: 41
    Depends on the fleet, of course. Hertz has been using Escapes in their pool for the past few years. So have many corporations. Rental cars can be beaten, ya know. :sick:
  • lp1lp1 Posts: 2
    The title shows it was registered to a local office of a national construction company, fortunately it was not Hertz or other rental company. :)

Would it alleviate the fact? I mean, in general, how much more difficult it is to sell a car when the potential buyer knows it has been registered to a company in the past? I can certainly keep a copy of the old title to show prospective buyers that it didn't belong to a rental company if that helps.
  • si88si88 Posts: 39
    I am looking at a Mercury Mariner 2005 here in Louisiana to replace the wife's flooded Jeep by this weekend. So far I see the '05's have the best rebates. Is the employee price that they advertise after these rebates are applied? I am looking at an 05 with the following options:

REAR CARGO CONVENIENCE PKG
    INTERIOR CARGO MANAGEMENT SYS
    RETRACTABLE CARGO COVER
    POWER MOONROOF WITH SHADE
    ROOF RACK WITH CROSSBARS
    MINI-OH CONSOLE W/BIN & MAP LIGHTS
    FULL SIZE SPARE WHEEL/TIRE
    TRAILER TOWING, CLASS II
    DYNAMIC SIDE IMPACT PACKAGE
    SAFETY CANOPY & SIDE AIR BAGS
    PREMIUM LEATHER TRIM (BLACK)

TOTAL MSRP $27,415.00
    EMPLOYEE PRICE $24,511.79
    CASH BACK ($1,000.00)

Sorry for the ALL CAPS nortsr1. Can I do better than this Merc Family Price or is this price non negotiable? They also mention an "extra $1000 in clearance cash" but I think that is the same cash back incentive listed above.

If anyone has had experience with buying a Mariner lately please let me know about it and why you choose Mariner over the Escape and Tribute.

Also is the rear parking sensor something that can be added later or is it factory installed only?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    That ois a great deal>Go for it. Employee pricing runs out in the next day or so.
  • escapenutescapenut Posts: 117
    Reading on Edmund's Inside Line (I believe) it seems that GM and Ford are hurting now d/t their up-front clearance sales starting in June. Of course what is obvious is that GM has put their eggs in the SUV/Truck market which may rebound if gas prices fall, Ford a little less so. Eventhough it's been ballyhooed as being the end of the employee pricing currently, my bet is that the Big-3 will formulate another way to get prospective buyers in the showroom with potentially as low or lower pricing than what we've seen (better to sell in volumn that not at all).

I know I wouldn't buy a vehicle now without substantial discounts, employee pricing or not. Ford X-Plan is what I used to buy my '01 Escape. Discounting minor price increases over the last few years, I can still get at or near (with rebates/discounts) the same type of Escape for rougly the same price as I paid 4 years ago. We'll see what they do over the next few weeks.
  • nfjnrnfjnr Posts: 25
    Got this quote for a 2006 Tribute S with V6,Package 111, side airbags, rear step plate,rear spoiler,wheellocks,MSRP 27340.00, dealer offer 22590.00. This is after 3000.00 cash back incentive. Appreciate any thoughts or comments.

Thanks Nick
  • prosaprosa Posts: 280
    Sounds pretty good. I got a quote yesterday for a 2006 4WD S with Package 3, side air bags and a few other bits and pieces. MSRP $28,450, invoice $26,427, dealer's offer $23,736.
  • nfjnrnfjnr Posts: 25
    Was that dealer offer after the rebates? If so was it 2500$ or 3000$
  • hi prosa, purchased the mazda tribute 2006 2wd s package 3 here in palm beach about 1 month ago. msrp $27,745 invoice $25,961, bought it for $23,700. so at $23,746 for a 4wd you are getting a very good deal. i love the vehicle. i had a 2001 ford escape v-6 that i put 130,000 trouble free miles on. the only disappointment i have is that other than the bells and whistles with my new tribute , i see no significant performance improvements!! ( power, ride, steering, gas mileage ) are very much the same!! you would think after 5 years mazda/ford would have addressed this issue!! i welcome all replies and comments..
  • Guys feel lucky, I live in Venezuela and Ford just relaunch the Escape this Year. They sold the Escape back in 2001 with no good numbers. So Now I'm getting a 2006 V6 Escape. I'm paying the equivalent off $30.000. It doesn't come with any good option, just the standard ones. I need to star buying the cover cargo shade in USA.
    Bye

P.D In 2002 bought a Mercedes Benz C230 Sportcoupe for $50.000,oo in USA the same car was selling for $30.000,oo
  • draymond2draymond2 Posts: 134
    I have found a vehicle I'm interested in, unsure of what would be a good price to offer......
    2005 S 2wd........Package 2, tow pack & side airbags... MSRP is $25,945. invoice around 24,400 What should I shoot for with the $3500 rebate???????? Any advice would be appeciated............Thanks.........
  • I have had my Mariner Hybrid for about a month. I am very impressed and am now sold on Hybrid Technology. The on board energy system makes me smile when it displays 31mpgs.!! The build quality is excellent and so is the sound system/NAV System. My only constructive criticism: Make the tilt steering wheel tilt a bit higher. A Climate Control System (with Max A/C Lockout) should be available. PS I can't wait for a Lincoln Aviator Hybrid!!
  • Wanted to rate my new Mariner Hybrid. However, Hybrid Mariner Evaluation Selection Not Yet Posted! Hello!! This happens to be the Most Revolutionary Ford Product Since the Model A!! See my prvious note. My overall rating: 9 to 9.5. Certainly worth the investment in the technology.
  • bd70bd70 Posts: 30
    Is the dealership extended "Portfolio" warranty a good deal at $1100? The more I read about the problems people have later in a Tribute's life, the more I think I would need one. Coverage seems rather comprehensive, addressing just about everything other than wear and tear issues. The issue is price. Thoughts?

Well while I'm here, before I even get to that point, I'm dealing with a dealership that will give me $400 under invoice plus $2250 in customer and dealer cash plus $500 for financing, which the dealer says I can pay off IMMEDIATELY, without penalty to him. This is for a fairly well equipped '06 Tribute S 4WD. Any good?

Thanks in advance
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 12,140
    a few years back i a 'portfolio' waranty. i did have a couple of issues, and they did pay. the only inconvenient part was that if you broke down less then 40 miles from the selling dealership you have to bring it back there for repairs. one time i broke down 39 miles away. :( they did kick in for the tow, though. just make sure you get a receipt. hopefully you won't have to use it.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2014 Ford F-150 FX4
  • As a long time member of Edmunds, I value the input of all. I was just recently transferred from Phx to Colorado Springs and am now looking for a SUV. The list of candidates include

Mercury Mariner
    Nissan Murano
    Toyota Highlander
    Toyota RAV4 (new 2006 w/ V6)
    Subaru Outback Turbo with auto
    Subaru Forrester Turbo with auto

I welcome your experience with any of these vehicles as well as with the Colorado Springs dealers of the same.

Thanks much

Bob
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,654
    It appears this person wasn't at all happy:
    link title