-June 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Firebird Headlamp Doors

loamsloams Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Pontiac
The headlamp doors on my 1989 suddenly barely open or close. Is it a coincidence that both motors would begin to fail at the same time or is it perhaps a common electrical connection to both doors? (All other electrical devices in the car are working properly). Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Aren't these vacuum operated or am I thinking of older ones?
  • Options
    loamsloams Member Posts: 8
    I'm thinking they may be vacuum operated as you suggest; but how would I check? and if so, would it be a relatively simple repair to find and repair the vacuum hose? thanks.
  • Options
    kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    My 89 doors gave up within a month of each other a couple years ago. If you still hear the motors run, but the doors don't move, the fix is cheap & you can do it yourself if you can fix a toilet.

There is a plastic bushing in the motor which has worn out. All you do is remove the motor (pretty simple), unscrew the gear cover, clean out the broken/worn old bushing, replace & reassemble.

You can order the parts with instructions ($10 or so) at http://www.rodneydickman.com. It's a Fiero store but the bushing part is the same. It's called "87-88 Headlight Actuator Rebuild Kit." If you can't find it, send Rodney an email.
This discussion has been closed.