Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo XC90 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    All I know is that I can't keep the loaded XC90 V8's in stock, and neither can anyone else.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Posts: 318
    "Now, the $57k XC90 is the best SUV out there at that price point. You can't get an X5 or Q7 or ML500 as nice for the same money."

With $57k, you can get a nicely equipped Mercedes GL450. XC90 is nice, but $57k for a Volvo is just ridiculous.
    You aren't getting it.
    $57k is a fully loaded XC90 V8.
    The equivalent GL450 is $66,000!

FWIW, you can get a "nicely equipped" XC90 V8 for $50,000
  • fluid15fluid15 Posts: 60
    I agree with both statements:

1. You can get a nicely equipped V8 for $50k - it already comes with leather, AWD, & 3rd row as standard.

2. $57k for Volvo is ridiculous. I wouldn't pay more than $50k for a Volvo. I think the right price point for a fully loaded V8 should be around $48k, and $42-43 for the 3.2L. It just isn't in the same league as the German cars when it comes to the powertrain, etc.
    Really?
    How so?
    It is as fast or faster than the SUV's near or higher than its price point.
    It rides well without being harsh.
    You can't get a Euro SUV will all the equipment the XC90 has for even a close to similar price.
    How is a $66,000 Mercedes or Audi or Bimmer better than a $57,000 XC90?
    "It rides well without being harsh."

Hey, you don't need to sell me on the ride quality - I just bought an '07 XC90 3 weeks ago and am happy with it. But I think the BMW/Audi/Mercedes have an edge in handling and roadfeel over the XC90. Even my wife instantly noted that when test drove them, but she's pleased with the XC90 and didn't want to pay more (she's the primary driver).

Saying it's as fast or faster doesn't mean better. A Nissan Z might be faster than a Boxster, but in my opinion it isn't in the same league in terms of roadfeel or overall driving satisfaction.
  • I agree with Volvomax.

I purchased a V* XC90 in April and it has been terrific. I have friends that own BMW X5, MB ML series and 1 Cayenne. They are impressed by the ride and interior of the XC90. I use mine to haul my boat, pull a 12' 2,500 lbs box trailer, as a family vehicle (third row seat for my kids' friends) and as my wife's daily driver. It handles each of the tasks well.

The XC90 may not have the prestige of the other Euro SUVs but those that spend the time to research the XC90 find it a worthy competitor to BMW, Porsche, Audi, and MB especially when considering price/value.

With regard to the ride quality, we're discussing SUV's not two-seat roadsters. It rides smooth, handles well and the seats are the best in the industry. The Yamaha V8 delivers plenty of power & torque. It accelerates quickly either from a dead-stop or for passing on the highway. The 22 mpg I'm getting on the highway isn't too shabby either.

I wanted an SUV to use it as intended ("U" does stand for utility), not be seen in it. The XC90 fulfills the utility requirements while a providing an upscale ride experience as a daily driver. When was the last time you saw an X5 pulling anything? I guess that's why they refer to the X3 and X5 as SAVs (A = "activity").

If you expect the vehicle to be driven 90-95% of the time as a passenger car, the XC70 or BMW 5-series wagon would be a better choice. They offer roughly the same cargo room as their SUV counterparts, better gas mileage and better ride characteristics.

One admission, the upgraded radio in the XC90 is not the best.

:P
    shoresailing, your post did a better job of breaking down the conversatio and I absolutely agree with everything you wrote. My friends who own X5's, etc are also impressed with the interior & ride of our XC90. And frankly, that's why we bought it - we liked the overall package and we were looking for an SUV ("U" for utility), not an SAV ("A" for activity).

My input about ride/roadfeel (compared to the German cars) from my previous post does not change - I'm a sportscar/sports sedan type of guy. So I should probably clarify that my viewpoint on those categories are not really critical for SUVs, but if it was my daily driver - and not my wife's - I would probably spend the extra dough for a new X5 w/3rd row. But my personal taste in auto attributes don't really line up with an SUV.

I'm very satisified with adding the XC90 to our garage and would do it again. The #1 change (addition) I would make is an integrated iPod interface. I don't like changing CDs.
  • Fluid15, my wife upgraded from a minivan so almost anything would have made her happy but she is quite happy with the XC90 (the Caddy SRX was second choice but hauling ability was minor league).

I also prefer sportscar/sedan. Drive 90 miles on daily commute. I am currently in the market and M35 is leading the pack.

Good point about the ipod/m3 connection. I would much rather have the connection and leave the CD's at home.
  • dlkri1dlkri1 Posts: 4
    I am ready to settle tonight on a 2007 XC90 with AWD, premium, climate, wood steering wheel, convenience, and rear entertainment -- MSRP = 48,215. The offer right now is 42,219 + a free cargo cover.

Please let me know what you think of the offer. THANKS.
  • Negotiate and extended warranty if you plan to keep the car longer than the original warranty. You'll need it.
  • Volvomax, I still trying to get used to the idea of a 57K Volvo. (Especially when a loaded V70R has a TMV of around 44K.)

I know at one point that the XC90 had fantastic resale. How is it now? How does it now compare to the germans?

Speaking of the R Series, Edmunds used to have a board just devoted to the R Series which I can no longer find. How do you like the idea of a new V70R vs. a new XC70?
    Well, since the V70R is essentially discontinued there are incentives on it. Even so, a loaded V70R will sticker @ $48000.
    Also, the V70R isn't an SUV.
    The XC90 is going to have better resale than the V70R, or even the XC70.
    Between the V70R and the XC70, it will come down to what you want out of the car.
    The XC70 is a better foul weather vehicle.
    The V70R is quicker and more fun to drive.
  • "I still trying to get used to the idea of a 57K Volvo." Me too! I paid hundreds under that for the fully loaded limited Edition Ocean Race XC90. First time I feel maybe I got a great deal! hee hee - - otherwise, I paid a whole lot of money for a whole lot of battery failures...
  • You proably got a great deal like many others, but you also got a great piece of junk. Anyone interested in buying a Volvo XC90 should read the "Problem & Solution" section.
  • I bought an S60 last year and am enjoying it.

Now we're considering an XC90. Aside from resell value, I don't care if I get an 06 or 07. We'll get the AWD V8 with climate package, no other options needed, no color pref. The Edmunds calculator says the "TMV" is $45.5. We are in Ohio.

Will I get this cheaper at this time of year? Could I find it for $37k?

If I do find it for $37k, is there a good reason to pass it by for an 07 instead?

Thanks for your help,
    Rogerinfremont
    You won't find a new 06 V8 for $37k.
    Heck we sold a USED 06 V8 for $45k.

Only minor changes on the 07, but some new toys.
    Ipod interface, sat radio, active xenons, backup camera etc.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,042
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have recently (within the past three months) purchased an SUV and crossover because of its optional or standard third-row seating. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 10, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• I just purchased a new V8 XC90 on Monday.

-V8 4.4
    -Black Sapphire Metallic/black interior
    -Climate Package
    -Convenience Package
    -Active Bi-xenon
    -Premium Sound
    -Sunroof
    -Touring Package- Atlantis

$46K

It was listed with a wood steering wheel and the buy order I was faxed had it listed. I arrived to pick up only to learn it had wood inlays and no wood steering. (I negotiated on line out of state.)

It does not seem to have rain sensor wipers on it after reading the manual and looking at the steering column I can't figure out what option would have came ensured I get the rain sensor.

I passed on the NAV because I of the limited availability and some disappointing user reviews. I am disappointed in the audio system and the lack of Ipod integration. I was told by the dealer that Ipod integration was only a fad, unnecessary, and wouldn't work well. I reminded him it was important to me so it isn't a "fad" and my Mercedes CLK has it and it works great.

I am having an aftermarket NAV and rear entertainment installed. The Alpine I am looking at has NAV, Sirius, Blue tooth, DVD, Ipod connector, HD radio, and reverse camera. Seems that it all should come in under the price of Volvo options.
  • Has anyone have good experience in 2007 XC90 price? in boston area? I am interested to buy on 2007 XC90. Please help me. How much? What are the packages included? thanks