Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Volkswagen GTI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tslbmwtslbmw Posts: 172
    I bought a 2010 GTI, Candy White, DSG, 18inch Detriots, Bi Xenon w/AFS, Sunroof, 4 Dr on 11/6/09. MSRP $28,389. Paid $27,000. Invoice (according to the dealer was $26,720); however, Edmunds has the invoice at $26,500...not sure which is correct. So, I paid about $280-$500 over invoice. Excellent car and I was very satisfied with the deal I got. I purchased from Browns VW in Midlothian, VA.

Hope this helps.
    Tony :)
  • Hi...in Michigan looking at leasing a GTI for 39 months with 15,000 miles annually, residual was $14,409, price $26,300 and MSRP $28,254. Dealer said this included an addtional $1000 of dealer cash. Is this a realistic, good, or stupid deal. Thank you for any assistance.
  • Sorry the monthly lease was $422.39
  • To give you a comparison, I just leased a Carbon Steel Gray 2010 GTI 4 door manual with Detroit 18s, bi-xenons, bluetooth, the fabulous plaid, heated seats and roof. 39 month lease, 12,000 miles/year. $1551 down (covered taxes, plates, inspection, & first month's payment). Monthly payment is $371. MSRP was $27,504. Sell price was at invoice (or very close according to Edmunds) at $26,304. Residual was 53% or $13,941. Money factor was .00141 or 3.384%. I live in Buffalo, NY and purchased the car at Schmitt's VW/Audi. This is my first lease and my first GTI, and I'm thinking I got a reasonable deal. Today is only day one with the car, but it's SO much fun to drive. I couldn't stop. Drove all day. The distribution of horsepower and torque in this car is just fantastic in a car that is relatively light by today's standards--especially at this price point with this level of refinement and fit & finish. Already lit up the tires twice unintentionally. The sound of the engine, the great manual, excellent handling around curvy roads. Love it! Plus, 22 degrees was no worry with a killer HVAC system and some amazingly comfortable heated seats. We'll see how VW reliability plays out over the next 39 months, but there will have to be serious, persistent mechanical malfunctions to take the perma-grin off my face. Get your GTI! Faster!
  • Thanks for the info, very helpful.
  • geosamgeosam Posts: 18
    Congrats on your first GTI. I can't wait to get my hands on one exactly like yours, Carbon Steel. It will be my 8th GTI. I now own an 06 and still love every minute I drive it. I have never had a problem with reliability. Good Luck!
  • :D Wow, this sounds like a great deal. Since I am also a resident of Buffalo it appers that a trip to the dealerhsip you noted is in order. In addition, it appears that you did your homework in regard to how to lease a car by determining the MSRP, sale price, residual, money factor and taxes/fees. Thanks for the tip, hopefully they will be equally as willing to part with a Tiguan or Jetta Wagon in the near future. :D
  • Hello all,

I am in the process of buying a 2010 GTI and I got the following rices. Please let me know what you think about them and if you believe they are fair.

- Automatic
    - 4 Door
    - Autobahn Package
    - Bi-xenon headlights
    - 18" Wheels
    - Dynaudio

$ 31 570 (tax, title etc. included...so this is out the door price).

The other offer was $30,859 but did not include Dynaudio.

Thanks
  • Does anyone know the current factory to dealer rebates on the 2010 GTI?

I've been offered the following straight off the bat:

- 2 Door
    - DSG
    - 18" Detroit Wheels
    - GTI Mat Kit
    - Power Sunroof
    - Bluetooth (think this is standard but they charge for it anyway?)

$24,999 (excluding tax and license)

MSRP was $27,489, 'Invoice Price' is $25,631.

I havn't started pushing hard on the dealer yet and was wondering where to come in. Any thoughts?
  • geosamgeosam Posts: 18
    I would take that deal on the spot. I want the exact same options, except I would prefer a 4 dr. This is Automobile Magazine's Car of the Year. And now Consumer Reports has also picked it as best sporty car. That doesn't help with your negotiating. I would be curious to see if you can get them to go down much more.
    Good Luck.
  • I reckon there's at least another $500 in the deal. I'll start shopping the offer around to other dealers this week. This dealer said he'll match any other dealer's price, so if I can get another dealer to go down, then I'll bring the deal back to him and get him to go a step further etc. etc.

I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Hi Folks,

Received this deal for a '10 GTI 4DR (cloth with upgraded stereo).

MSRP $27,820 Sale price $26,769
    money factor .00112
    Lease Term: 36
    Total Payment: 409.89
    Out of Pocket: 997.39
    MSRP: 27,820.00
    Residual: 15,022.80
    Mileage: 12,000

How does this look right out of the box?
  • Having owned a 2 dr GTI from 2006 to 2009, I decided to look at some other options for my next lease and very happy I did. Whilst my GTI handled well with good pick up, I had no end of annoying electrical & trim faults + at least 3-4 recalls. I affectionately referred to it as my VW P.O.S.
    Wishing to remain in the same price range, I opted for the Genesis Coupe 3.8 (auto) this time round and have been very pleased with that decision. Performance & Handling are excellent and the fuel economy isn't far off the GTI's. Best of all, it's costing me less/month than my 2007 GTI !

As an owner, would recommend trying one of these before buying your next GTI. You don't need the Coupe track versions (sprung too hard and a silly wing), the base 3.8 auto is comfortable, fully loaded and if I buy it at the end of the lease, I still have 7 years to go on the warranty.

Happy hunting.

Rgds
  • imontoyaimontoya Posts: 29
    My GTI was pretty much problem free in my 2 years of ownership. I would recommend one. ;) My 2007 had 1 minor recall. Did we own the same car? The 3.8L Genesis gets 18 MPG in the city, the worst I recall for my GTI was 22 MPG. I know VW addressed many of the niggling concerns for the 2010 model year and I would love to own one once again.

Back to the lease inquiry; can someone explain "money factor" a bit better?
  • maybe I was unluckey but the problems I had were as follows. Would comment that all items were fixed under warranty, just a pain having to keep going back to the dealer.

1, Peeling window switches.
    2, Intermittant thumping in of the bass on the stereo.
    3, Dodgy fuel range readings, would show you had over 100 miles of range then about 10 miles later drop to less than 30.
    4, Sharp edge on glove box that would scrape the skin off my thumb when extracing the booklets from their slot. (eventually got sanded down).
    5, all 4 dashboard air vents fell to pieces, (directional clips all broke off - probably due to a combination heat / cold and the plastic clip being too low grade for the job.
    6, 1 x breakdown (little red light on the drivers side door had been illuminated constantly for aprox 2 days - ran the battery out but technically, the only breakdown I had that stranded me at work).
    7, Dodgy oil pressure sensor, would illuminate occasionally under normal driving.

Had a number of other issues but can't locate the complaint letter I sent to VW with all the other info / exact milages when things went wrong.

Apart from the above, found that the little metal wings that I guess hold the seat foam in place, would dig into the underside of my legs. The only other annoying issue was you couldn't open your windows with any amount of water (morning dew etc) sitting on your roof / windscreen, as it would all end up in the car soaking your arm/leg & door inner.

Like I say, I must just have been unlucky !
  • kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 122,928
    There are two parts to a lease payment.. depreciation and finance charge

The money factor is just a number that is used to calculate the finance charge portion of the lease payment (interest, if it were a loan).

Hope that helps..

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tsx24tsx24 Posts: 85
    Money Factor is the interest rate of your lease. MF X 2400 = Interest Rate. The reply above indicated .00112 MF, which translates to 2.688 % interest, which is quite good.
  • tsx24tsx24 Posts: 85
    Hyndai warranty sucks, when will people wake up to realize this. Your precious 10 year warranty is only on drivetrain!
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,602
    But the 5 year warranty is the best in the business. No one has a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty.
  • tsx24, I realize the 10 year warranty is the drivetrain only. The point is, 3 yrs from now when I have to decide to purchase or not, I can do so with the piece of mind that the most expensive parts on the car are covered for another 7 years.
    Similarly, should any bumper-bumper type problems develop in the 1st three years, they will of course be covered like they were on the GTI but I'll still have another 2 years to go !

Bottom line, if I remain as impressed with the car at the 36 month point as I currently do, my decision will be very easy, as it was with the GTI just a very different outome.

As background, I've had 18 different cars (makes & models) since 1988 and that was my second GTI. The 1st was a 2002 1.8 Turbo which I got rid of after only two months of use. The 2nd was the 2007 GTI which I leased expecting a highly improved model which based on intitial road tests, appeared to be the case. I locked in to a 3 year lease but given the choice, I would have quite happily returned this car within the 1st year.

rgds
  • kwakasmith, why are you here? You don't like GTI's...noted. You really like Hyundai's and their warranty...noted. Now we return to our regularly scheduled program, GTI prices paid and experiences.

I just picked up a 2010 2 door manual GTI here in Atlanta. Options are bluetooth, Detroit wheels w/summer tires, sunroof and the msrp is $26,304. I paid $24,000 which is roughly $450 under invoice. Dealer said I could NOT get the 1.9% financing with this deal but I suspect I could've gotten it with more negotiation. I traded in a car and paid cash for the balance so it wasn't important to me. Dealer experience otherwise was exceptional and the car has been a complete blast to this point.
  • chrikoojali,

I actually like GTI's in terms of comfort, handling and design which is why I have owned two. What I found to be unsatisfactory was the reliability.

Why am I here ? because I found this website very helpful in determining the selection of my last four cars, based on reviews and owner feedback.
    I have passed on my factual experiences in this section as many here will be close to parting with some large sums of cash which they may regret later on.

Some may find my feedback helpful, others may not. Those who don't can obviously ignore.

Anyway, good luck with your GTI and wish you many happy miles of motoring.
  • fuser999fuser999 Posts: 4
    I just leased a 2010 4 door with:

rubber mats
    xenon lights
    upgraded stereo
    sun roof
    summer tires

for 330/month (with tax) and 1350 down. Dealer took 2500 off MSRP and used $750 credit for drive-offs. There are deals to be had out there. (This was in socal)
  • You've made 4 or 5 posts in this thread and every one of them is commenting on problems with two GTIs you've owned. This is a thread about prices paid for GTI's. If you want to bash VW while praising Hyundai, create a thread called 'Genesis Coupe v. VW GTI'. It's annoying here.

Really though you might as well compare a Cadillac CTS with a GTI since comparing a Hyundai makes about as much sense. You clearly don't 'get' VW's so why try.
  • chriskojali,

Can you share the name of the dealer in Atlanta.
  • fasgtifasgti Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    Anyone here from Chicago, who has just bought a 2010 GTI. I am planning to get:

2010 GTI White (2DR)
    DSG
    Autobarn

Would love to know what you paid and where you got it from. I am in the Northern Burbs of Chicago (Skokie)

Thanks in advance.
  • eurogtieurogti Posts: 3
    got my gti on april first

18"
    xenon
    autobahn
    dsg
    4door
    gti mats

30500 out the door
  • dghostdghost Posts: 1
    I ran across a 2003 GTI 1.8lT 91K miles. The dealer is asking $7950. The carfax appears clean, with no major repairs evident. New at the whole car buying thing. Does this sound like a fair price? Any recommendations for an opening number to begin with? Any and all advice appreciated.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,602
    My guess is that your owning experience on that vw will be very unpleasant. That gti will likely be a moneypit.
  • 2gtiguy2gtiguy Posts: 8
    King VW in Gaithersburg, MD.

2010 GTI
    4 Dr., Carbon Steel Grey
    6-speed manual
    18" Karthoum Black Alloys
    Autobahn (leather sport seats, sunroof)
    Dynaudio
    Nav
    Paid $29,900, pre-tax.

LOVE this car (it's my 2nd GTI, but this one beats the '04 MK IV by a mile).