Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• chwoodchwood Member Posts: 7
    Did you resolve the POS issue?

I have a drop in K&N air filter on my '04 V8. I was talking to the parts guy at the local toyota dealer and was told if you over-oil the filter (probably would have to be several times unless one goes apeshit) you run the risk of frying the sensor and that runs $250. Is "resetting the computer" a necessary step in getting the new airflow recognized?

I have not seen any serious performance improvement since dropping in my filter - actually a little bit of a drop in mileage. Maybe a little in acceleration. I am kind of hard on the gas though...

Has anyone put dual exhaust or a supercharger on a DoubleCab? I am thinking about the exhaust (SC is to much $$$ for me now) and want to know how that affects the toy?

Thanks.
  • ppisanoppisano Member Posts: 16
    I have the 03 v8 4x4, I replaced the whole intake system with the k&n system(288.00) and I haulk 9500lbs worth of boat twice or three times yearly. no Issues to speak of.
    No whistles nothing as of yet.
    Did you see a sizable improvement in mileage?
  • wanderer12wanderer12 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 Tundra, Step-Side, that had the same problem. After 6,000 miles (1-1/2 years) the check engine light came on this past June. I brought it in to my dealership and they diagnosed it as a corroded gas filler tube. Unfortunately, I couldn't have it replaced immediately because of a lengthy trip that I was going on. Since I wasn't experiencing any other problems they told me to go on my trip with the check engine light on. I brought it in this week with an additional 13,000 miles and they replaced it under warranty.
  • wanderer12wanderer12 Member Posts: 4
    I had the lower ball joints replaced on my 2003 Tundra, Step-Side, this week under the recall. Prior to scheduling the appointment I called Toyota Customer Service and they said that front-end alignment was part of the replacement process and would be covered under the recall. I verified this with the service manager at the time I scheduled the appointment and he concurred with Toyota CS. According to my service receipt the alignment was checked and performed. I am not a mechanic but I would give Toyota CS a call and check on this.
  • deerwoods1deerwoods1 Member Posts: 1
    You need a limited slip unit installed. You can get through most anything with that. It gives you two wheel drive. Well worth the $500-$600 if you do any off roading. With ordinary two wheel drive, once the right rear slips(or left)you're stuck! With the limited slip,some power starts going to the other wheel. It is not like four-wheel-drive, but you'll be amazed at the difference. Bet you won't get stuck, again.
  • garyandersgaryanders Member Posts: 39
    I would be real suprised if there is a transmission problem, I have a 04 double cab 2wd and love it. Have not had any problems to date. Probably is just a defective sensor on the one you drove. It is a good idea to drive another one just to see if it does the same thing. I really think you will like the tundra if you decide to buy one.
  • onedvsdjonedvsdj Member Posts: 1
    I had the stickers and all Toyota associated markings removed from My 2003 Tundra. It is important to know to do this as quickly as possible after purchase. It should be done on a warm day. My Auto detailer peeled off the stickers and used dental floss on all the other Toyota decals as they are glued on with super 2 sided tape. Afterwards he removed all traces of glue with mineral spirits and followed up with clean water. He said the glue removal is important to keep dirt etc from sticking and creating a shadow effect. So far so good. Oh he also wahed and waxed with a buffer afterwards. Toyota told me it was almost impossible to remove decals and stated they would attempt it for $250.00 Yeahhh Right. My detailer did it for the decals and the cost of wash and wax. $110.00.
    Well, not really sure. I live in boston so inner city driving is the norm, but I really got it to help in hauling 9k/lb boats three times per year. It gave me more HP for sure, at one time I just pulled the air filter when hauling at the end of the season to let the engine have as much air as it wanted and get off the slippery ramps. Winter I'll say 15.5mpg and summer definately 16-17mpg and that's inner city. In vermont I got 19mpg on cruise control doing 75mph from boston to burlington. I wish I could use a fuel device that would tell me what the rate of fuel consumption is for my driving as I'm going like in boats.
    Oh well. Any ideas appreciated....
    I really want to know who has the best durable wax tried on their truck. Live on the ocean and looking for the BEST protector. Zaino or t-wax or zymol or are they really made at the same plant in mexico.
    I have 10 bottles of half used everything and It all seems to last about a month or two at best.
    I'm lost....
  • craigzcraigz Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 V6 6 speed with non-stock rims...
    #1-How can I get the low tire pressure light to go out without buying the sensors for all 4 rims?

#2-Is there any way to adjust/disable the clutch depress feature to start the truck? I can't believe how hard you have to press the clutch in to start it!

Thanks in advance!
    GM vehicles have those - pretty hokey as it gives you instantenous mileage - incline, decline, etc (which is pretty worthless unless you see it 100 mpg); and I think there is an average MPG per tank. Not sure of any aftermarket gear out there or that I would want to know.

What are you driving - regular, access or double cab? I have an 04 with just the KN drop in. It is a pig - the mileage is dropping. PreKN - 14- 17 mpg, post KN 10-13 mpg. Not good. I guess I should quit caring about mileage and just enjoy the damn thing.

Thanks.
  • moenbaileymoenbailey Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Tundra. The transmission needed replacing. I was lucky that the warranty covered it. That was last April 05 my Tundra is now getting 11 mpg due to my transmission slipping. I am very unhappy with Toyota right now. Oh! and by the way my exhaust manifold is bad along with 3 of my friends who bought Toyota Tundras because they liked mine so much. Sorry about your transmission. It seems pretty apparent that Toyota can't make the same truck in our country as they did in Japan.
  • tickytundratickytundra Member Posts: 9
    I have found a great remedy for the ticking/exhaust leak sound. Add 1 quart/32ounces of LUCAS SYNTHETIC OIL in place of 1 quart of your current oil. After about a 15 minute ride my engine quieted up very nice. It still is there when it first starts up cold but is gone much quicker and is a huge improvement getting rid of the sound most of the time. You guys owe me!!!!! LOL
    wow, that's really low for mileage.
    I replaced the whole intake system with the thought that the cone filter with 360deg. and a 4inch intake allows the engine as much air as it wants easier, no restrictions was the thought, next will be bigger exhaust(when the old rusts out) with less back pressure right from the head pipes back to exhaust tip. if you look in the performance catalogs there are a zillion products to help mileage(It's baffling)the only other i would contimplate but to cheap to try is the computer chip that changes the settings to whatever you want.
    Just a thought.
    pjp
  • craigzcraigz Member Posts: 2
    no
    I am thinking about the FIPK/exhaust setup. My friends who are car-savvy tell me not to as it may void the warranty, and the factory chip is set to allow for a certain amount of air. I suppose it helps if you are not so heavy on the gas because you arew getting better performance.

I am too cheap for the chip mods as they are pretty pricey.

Thanks. I will keep looking for some way to get better mileage without spending an arm and a leg.
  • tomtundratomtundra Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone found out what makes the knocking noise in cold weather at start-up?
    My '02 knocks like crazy for about a minute, then goes away in cold weather.

Thanks

Tom
    I hate to say it but I wish my seat went back another notch or two for more leg room on the drivers side.
    I hate to ask but....
    Anyone ever come across or fix this one before.
    Thanks.....
  • brokentundrabrokentundra Member Posts: 1
    Guys, A friend of mine has an issue that I have no answer for.

They have a 2000 or 2001 Tundra and when they drop it in gear, the engine stalls out.

Automatic, As soon as it is taken out of park it dies.

If left in park, it will run all day.

I have never seen or heard of a problem like this, the best I can come up with is a safety, anti-theft device going bad, or a locked up torque converter or trans causing it to stall.

Any ideas?

thanks
  • graylinergrayliner Member Posts: 39
    My Exhaust manifold cracked too at 75,000 miles. Two O2 sensors went bad, and of course the brakes.

I paid the shop to put a weld bead over the crack. There needs to be a recall. Toyota didn't step-up on the O2 sensors until I did them myself -now Toyota wont reimburse me.
    Toyota needs to step-up on the exhaust manifold, 76K mi. is too soon.

Anyone know if Toyota is looking at that? I wonder if it is a common ptoblem.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    I recently got out of the mechanic field after 20 years of frontend, brake, tire and suspension work. To put it simply, doing an alignment after a ball joint replacement is not reccommended (well actually it is by shady mechanics). Some vehicles do have adjustable ball joints (Ford mostly), but not Toyotas. Ball joints are fixed, so unless a tie rod or something adjustable has been damaged or replaced or you notice unusual wear on non-stock tires, there is no need to align.
  • aulusaaulusa Member Posts: 1
    Would it make sense to run all synthetic oil instead of substituting 1 quart???

BTW - I have an 02 Tundra with an unbearable engine noise that gets wicked when it's colder.

Let me know your thoughts on all synthetic.

Paul
    I use the synthetics mobil one, and I have no issues.
    I have been privy to a report done on engines after they were drained of oil to see if their lubricity was all it was cracked up to be compared to far more expensive marine products on the market. They used mobil-1 from the automotive market as an automotive comparative product. It actually performed the best but,,,they had to state that you should "refer to the owners manual".
    I spent great cash on the truck and use it to haul boats, why not give it the best lubrication. forget the additive crap. :surprise:
  • doglover7doglover7 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 05 Tundra DC V8 with approx 4500 mi on it. The other day for the first time I had to accelerate fairly hard from a dead stop to get into traffic. I noticed that while accelerating through first gear; starting at approx. 2500 rpm and continuing for a few seconds there was a noticible "chatter" that could be felt mostly in the steering wheel. The engine would accelerate through this "chatter" and it lasted only a second or two. It never occurs unless I accelerate fairly hard in first gear, and it never occurs in any other gear.

Have any other owners noticed this in their DC trucks? Don't know if it is just a design characteristic or if there is a problem.
  • aedwards1aedwards1 Member Posts: 5
    2002 Tundra,
    I have replaced brakes twice, transmission once, differential twice, o2 sensors once, rear wheel seal once, and the list goes on. Toyota left my truck stuck in Mexico and I spent 9 hours trying to get it back to San Diego.(This was after I went to the dealer to get trans looked at, because I knew there was a problem with shifting and gear selection. Dealer noted no miles driven to evaluate problem???) All of this in 42,000 miles. I have to say Fords are looking good. Also I contacted Doug Law in S.D. I should get ALL of my money back including dmv fees and down payment for truck. He is the most feared lemon law laywer around...look him up. Oh yea, I never tow with truck and it is really taken care of, no off road or anything. :lemon:
  • aedwards1aedwards1 Member Posts: 5
    My 2002 Tundra had a failed transmission at 42,000 miles, with a host of other problems. Call Doug Law...98% sucess rate with lemon law items. I really think they have latent defects with these transmissions.
    You will be suprised at what you can get back with lemon law attorneys, you don't have to pay a dime and you get all of your money back including down payments etc.
  • tickytundratickytundra Member Posts: 9
    GREAT NEWS My dealer warranteed both of my exhaust manifolds plus all 4 O2 sensors. They told me the 2000-2002 warranty is 7years/90k miles. They did say that if your old O2 sensors would come out of the old manifolds they are to reuse them but my guy was cool and said "I'm going to just say they would not come out" So goodbye ticking. This is all free no charge at all. I did how ever pay for a 65K service because he was so good to me which cost $197 thats quite cheap considering I'm getting the better part of $2,000 of work done FREE Good Luck to the rest of you.
  • rdevine9rdevine9 Member Posts: 1
    I am having a similar problem with the transmission during the same speeds 30-40 mph. I was wondering if you fixed your problem?
  • denneydenney Member Posts: 1
    I have 61,500 mikes on my 2000 Toyota Tundra and both exhaust manifolds have cracks. The company said too bad, you are out of warranty.
  • secondwind1secondwind1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2004 Tundra SR5 V6. Around 7000 miles it developes a good tranny leak( one foot circle of fluid on the garge floor each day) at the rear seal. Irritating because it's stinkin up the garage. Toyota replaced the seal twice and it still leaked. Today they replaced the transmission extension, it still leaks. It has 10,000 miles now. Seems odd after searching all these problems , I'm the ONLY ONE with a LEAK , pales to most other problems I've read, an annoyance to say the least driving back and forth to the dealer numerous times. I'd expect a leak at 70,000 miles maybe , not 7,000, and you'd think it would be something easily fixed, IT IS NOT . Seems the dealership is at least trying, guess the next step is to replace the tranny. My guess is it's the Shaft, which was NOT replaced ? Well headed back tomorrow again, another day shot... will keep you informed, Off to check the Fla lemon law...I've had it 14 months...
  • gtg11787gtg11787 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 06 Tundra DbCab with the factory Nav. When your driving, you can not change destinations or do some of the options because of a safety feature. The truck must be in park to change most things. I know there must be a way to overide the safety feature but I just don't know how. Does anyone know how to disengage the safety feature? Thanks...
  • lincstarlincstar Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2005 Tundra SR5 in April and have about 6,000 miles on it. I have noticed a few strange things happening when I drive it:
    1. About a month ago while stopped at a light after driving for only about 4 minutes the truck shuddered as if the truck was braking with anti-lock brakes activated. However, the truck wasn't moving. This has occured only once.
    2.Occasionally, when I stop, as happened today, I get a clunking noise. Sometimes this occurs just as I begin to accelerate. It feels as if something is sliding and stops. This is infrequent.
    3. Today I felt a clunk in the transmission area just as I stopped.
    4. I have also found that sometimes the truck does not shift out of low gear until the RPM is about 2500.

The reason I am posting this message is to get information on whether Toyota has discovered any known problems with the 2005 five speed ECT automatic transmission.
  • mich70mich70 Member Posts: 1
    Just got the Tundra 05 for few weeks, too new to notice any big problems, but I have few questions if anyone can help.
    1. The 5 auto speed tranny is the same for both V6 and V8 ? true mileage / v6 auto 5speed gets 22 hwy? 6 speed manual gets 21 mpg ? true MPG ? anyone knows ?
    2. The tranny cooler is standard or optional on 5 speeds Auto ? Do I need one to tow a 3k lbs boat/trailer ?

3. Is there anyway you can turn off the light cap in the back when you open the door? besides push the button on/off? it's annoyed , also how you turn off the light at airbag passenger dash? should it be off after we run ?
    4 . There's some electrical wires underneath the bench seat
    what are they used for? heated seats on the stripped model ? :-)

5 Should I buy a trailer hitch or use the standard bumper.
    It's said I can pull 500/5000lbs with that step-bumper
    where is the best place to buy the hitch besides UHAUL??

6 The Lock button next to the radio. What they use that for? downhill breaking by tranny ??? or lock limited slip diff. ?? :-)
    Thanks for all the help ? Mich :D
  • fastfjrfastfjr Member Posts: 11
    I take it you have not looked at your manual. The tranny cooler only comes with the tow package. Get a good class V and hope you don't cook the tranny. You can get an aftermarket TRD cooler. They can be a real [non-permissible content removed] to install. For gods sake don't use the bumper. The lock button keeps the tranny in 1st. Next time your doing #2 take the manual with you. You could have saved yourself alot of grief. Oh and the wires under the seat, give them a lick and tell us what happened ;)
  • lawncare01lawncare01 Member Posts: 7
    Sorry for the late reply, have been away awhile. I no longer have the V6 reg cab but have a DC now and wished I had the reg cab back big time! My gas mileage on the V6 was 18 in town and 22 on the road consitently. My DC does dang good to get 11 in town and 15 on the road.
  • budisitbudisit Member Posts: 6
    '04 Tundra....peck, peck, peck, peck (when engine is cold). The noise quiets down quickly....but is getting louder each winter.

What the heck is that engine noise ??

thanks,
    BUDDY
  • fastfjrfastfjr Member Posts: 11
    Where are you guys locating it???
  • richard42richard42 Member Posts: 1
    Have a dbl cab 05 Tundra, 1st push on brake pedal is soft, 2nd is much firmer??? Why can't the first be firm?

Used cruise c. on trip, hit resume, truck excellerated at full speed past original speed??? Any ideas?

Richard42
  • nneilnneil Member Posts: 2
    I own 2004 Tundra Double Cab which Raps like a stuck pig. Toyota calls it piston slap. The engine sounds like a diesel.

When I first started the truck Tuesday morning there was a large cloud of smoke, and not condensation, but a cloud of smoke which smelled like raw gas. The engine was rapping like crazy and even harder when I put the truck into gear, this sure doesn't sound like anything normal to me, or anyone else, but Toyota.

Toyota do something about it if you want future business, my friend has the same truck with the exact same problem

Synthetic did nothing, besides quiet down sooner, less than 5 minutes..
  • silentbob253silentbob253 Member Posts: 2
    I was removing the factory exhaust of my 2002 Toyota Tundra to install an aftermarket exhaust i purchased. I couldn't disconnect where the muffler meets the catalytic converter. I removed the clamp but the two pipes wouldn't separate. I want to keep the old exhaust and not harm it, so i don't want to cut it. My question is, is it welded together, or just very rusted? And do the two pipes just met or does one go into the other?(I want to know this so if i do cut i don't cut to deep.)
  • my02tundramy02tundra Member Posts: 1
    The automatic door lock on my 02 tundra doesn't working any more. The factory key fob will only arm or disarm the alarm but it won't lock or unlock the door. I can manually lock/unlock with the key. Also, one strange behavior is that when I'm driving, the truck will unlock the doors if they are lock. This behavior appear to be random, I can't tell when it's going to happen. Any ideas/advice will be appreciated.
  • paliguy81paliguy81 Member Posts: 7
    Whoever said the dealer repaired the exhaust manifolds with 75k...where are you located what is the dealership...my dealer is telling me 5/yr 60k miles(for a 2001 tundra)...this ticking sound make my sequoia look like crap.
  • budisitbudisit Member Posts: 6
    Anybody know what the peck, peck, peck sound is when vehicle is started up (cold start only)? '04 Tundra.

Each winter it gets louder....and the colder it is....the louder it is. It goes away after driving a few blocks but getting louder each year bothers me.

What's the scoop on this? Time to trade-in? Or fill it full of oil additive?

BUDDY
  • banks24banks24 Member Posts: 1
    This pecking sound may be associated with electrical noise caused by a ground wire attached to the passenger side firewall under the hood....... I learned this tidbit of information and moved the ground wire to another location and alas....no more ticking/pecking noise. Do not know if this is what is causing your noise but is worth a try to fix!
  • ricks02ricks02 Member Posts: 1
    Where do you find a copy of the Enhanced Waranty? I have a 02 with only 31K. Check engine lite came on at about 25K. The truck ran fine and everybody said it was common, so I havent bothered with it. I have to get it repaired so I can get an inspection this month and need some ammo when I confront my dealer. I talked to the dealer today and they have the kit with 2 sensors for 225.00 and 195.00 for labor. I havent even thought about warranty covering this. Thanks for the info.
  • gerwangerwan Member Posts: 3
    I just did the same thing on my 2000 and it was a breeze. It only took about 45 minutes start to finish. Rust may be an issue but on mine everything basically fell out after I removed the clamp and rubber hangers.
  • gerwangerwan Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Tundra and received a notice from the manufacturer about the extended warranty to 75K miles on the O2 sensors. All 4 of mine failed at various points in time, all before 75K. Check with the service department at your local dealership. They should have all the latest service bulletins and warranty notices.
  • midgetluvermidgetluver Member Posts: 7
    i have exactly the same problems in my 05 access cab sr5. i have notice that after coming to a stop at a red light there is sometimes a clunk and the truck surges forward just a little. Also, i noticed that while accelerating downhill(and only downhill)from 3rd to 4th gear, instead of shifting around 2200 rpm as usual, it will rev up to about 3200 rpm and hang there for a few seconds and then shift and then shift again to catch up. i have seen about half a dozen posts dating back to 2002 from people who have had the clunking at a red light. if you come across any more info on this please let me know, i'm not real convinced that these are "normal" which is what my dealer's service tech said.
  • jeff56jeff56 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 02 Tundra V8. When going between 40-50 and I accelerate lightly, the transmission kicks down, but there is a hard clunking shift. Is this normal or is the transmission about to go? Otherwise it shifts fine. Under harder acceleration it downshifts a full gear with no problem.

Thank you ">
This discussion has been closed.