Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please help me decide between...

Comments

• asafonovasafonov Posts: 403
    Mazda5, with a manual if you do not get stuck in traffic very often? 3 rows of seats, the 5-year old can climb into the 3rd row and buckle him/herself (I am assuming there is a booster seat).

May be a little tight for a camping trip... pack light :)
  • I am in High School and am looking for my first car. I have been looking at a Honda pilot, Toyota Highlander and Kia sorento. I need AWD or 4WD because we live in upstate New York and every winter you need it. I am open to any suggestions.
  • ke72spnke72spn Posts: 12
    I live in Buffalo and drive a PT Cruiser, the truth is that you really don't need it. I am able to get around just fine with my traction control and 5 speed in the snow.

If you must have AWD, why not a Subie since they are more fuel efficent and less likley to roll over in an accident. Also, the new Impreza looks very cool :shades: .
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,042
    I’m posting this on behalf of a journalist at a national publication writing a story about negotiating new-car prices and the car-buying experience. He writes, "I’d like to talk to car buyers about their views on negotiating a car’s price and hear your recent experiences about buying a new car. I am particularly interested in the experiences of woman and all shoppers under the age of 35. Would you prefer to haggle or just get one price and pay it? Are you attracted to brands like Saturn and Scion because they boast one-price selling? You must be willing to chat by phone and be quoted in print. If you have some experiences or thoughts to share, please send an email to carguy147@hotmail.com and I’ll set up an interview."
    Alternately, you can write to jfallon@edmunds.com and I'll be sure to connect you. Please respond on or before Wednesday, October 17, 2007.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• If i were to get a FWD i would get the Volkswagen Jetta 2005.5-2006.
  • First of all, I'm new to CarSpace, and very excited to be a new member. I hope you can provide some advice. I'm looking for a new car/wagon/SUV. I'm undecided. Currently I drive a 2000 Ford Explorer with a 5.0L V8. Gas guzzler. But my biggest complaint about the Explorer is the lack of front leg room and headroom. I'm 6'4", and with the seat all the way back (and down), my knees are still pointed way up to the roof. Not comfortable. So ideally, I am looking for a car with the following specs: great front legroom and headroom, good gas mileage, very reliable, great handling, good acceleration, in the $30-40K range fully loaded with Navigation System. Any suggestions?
    By the way, I've been using Edmunds.com to compare vehicles, but it's a very slow process to pull up every car just to see the specs. I wish the tool would allow me to search for a car with certain interior specs (e.g. legroom).
    Thanks.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 22,839
    That's a potentially big list, IMHO, depending on what you consider "good gas mileage, good acceleration, very reliable, and great handling."

lesseee...
    G35
    328i
    TL
    V50
    C300 sport
    Legacy SpecB

of course, my personal preferences are weighing in here, too. I mean, you might think a Magnum R/T gets good gas mileage. I dunno. You also might not be happy with a 328's legroom. I'm 6'5" and have yet to find any problem fitting in luxury cars of pretty much any size with power seats.

'17 F150 Crew 2.7; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 44-car history and counting!

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,995
    Another route would be something like a Toyota Avalon Touring. Hits all the noted points; for sure, handling is worse than a 3-series but would feel like a Ferrari after driving an Explorer. Seems roomy, comfortable and quick (0-60 in 6.0!).

15.5 XC70 T6 / 16 Soul EV / 13 MB E350 Cabrio

oh, we could go on and on, really. we definitely need more restrictive parameters, which is kinda what I was getting at (albeit unclear).

'17 F150 Crew 2.7; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 44-car history and counting!

• Thanks! Let me give some examples of what I'm looking at. The Nissan Altima Hybrid has over 40" of headroom, and over 44" of legroom. Over 35 mpg. and Navigation system, all for about $32-35k. That's the good news. Not so good is: it has a very small trunk, and I'm not so sure I'll be happy with the small hybrid 4 cyl engine. The Altima 3.5SE addresses this concern, and it has a larger trunk, but you lose 1-2 inches in legroom. I am also looking at the Toyota Avalon, but surprisingly, it has almost 2" less headroom and 3" less legroom than the Altima Hybrid. Also less mpg. But the Toyota has a nicer interior, and reliability may be better too. Also, Avalon is more expensive than the Altima. So that's where I'm at: right now, it's between the Altima Hybrid, Altima 3.5SE, and Toyota Avalon.
    Thanks.
    Steve
    try them out. looking at measurements on paper means nothing. for instance, on paper, the Honda Pilot has much more room for the driver than my Volvo S70 did, yet I was MUCH more comfortable driving the volvo.

May I also suggest looking at the Accord?

• suydamsuydam Posts: 3,303
    How bout the Nissan Maxima? don't know how it compares now to the Altima, but my '01 has tons of leg room and my 6'4" son likes it fine. BTW he drives a Buick LeSabre (New version is Lucerne) -- talk about a huge trunk!!!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • I am looking at a Toyota Sequoia for my first car. I know it has more room than I will need and horrible fuel economy but I really like it. I think the Rav-4 and Highlander are ugly, the 2003 4runner is to expensive along with the Land Cruiser so that leaves the Sequoia. My budget is $16,000. I also have been looking at Honda Pilots. I am looking for a Reliable safe vehicle to get me through College and then some. Any suggestion?
  • steine13steine13 Posts: 2,585
    "My budget is $16,000. I also have been looking at Honda Pilots. I am looking for a Reliable safe vehicle to get me through College and then some. Any suggestion?"

Yeah, sure. If this getting through college means you're young, and money is part of the consideration, than take the $16 and buy a *new* Civic or Corolla. If it needs to have some ground clearance and a hatch, get a Mazda3 or Matrix/Vibe or add $4 and get an equally new Outback. Here I assume the $16 is money actually at hand. If it's money you'll be owing and paying back (how???) then I recommend a bicycle.. works for me most days.

If you're going to operate on a student budget, why saddle yourself with a 14mpg vehicle the week after oil hits $90/barrel? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Once you're gainfully employed, buy whatever you want. But unless you got a very handsome stipend, forget the fullsize SUV.

-Mathias
  • I absolutely hate small cars. i would never get a civic or corolla. Plus I need AWD or 4WD. I am also looking at midsize SUV's.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 3,303
    If you won't listen to reason and get an economic small car that will be cheap to run, fuel, and insure, I would suggest an older Toyota 4Runner. They have very high reliability and probably will not cost as much to run as the large Sequoia and be less expensive than the Pilot. Can take a lot of abuse too.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    The problem with them is that, damn, they are pricey, even when 10 years old and miled up.
  • I currently have a '99 Pathfinder that has a pretty good amount of mileage (153k) and is having problems, so I am ready to buy new. I do like the 2008 Pathfinders (LE) but the gas economy kind of scares me, especially because they recommend premium fuel (for a mid-grade SUV?) Anyway, I am beginning to get very stressed over indecision. I have done more than enough research and am just burned out. I would like suggestions. I have spent loads of time on KBB and Edmunds, so I am not new to this. But maybe I need to step back and see what others say. The only other car I've really looked at is the Hyundai Veracruz. It is a nice luxury car, but for being a CUV, it does not corner very well and it is slow to initially accelarate. I also am not a huge fan of the outside appearance, but I could live with it (there's also that darn speaker that vibrates against my leg! great sound system though)

I am kind of an SUV guy, but am open to suggestions. Here is what I am looking for -
    Good looks, like rugged, masculine and maybe sporty.
    Good engine power, but doesn't have to be huge, (I like the Pathfinder's v6, the V8 is too costly.)
    Decent mileage, doesn't have to be super high.
    Some luxury touches, doesn't have to be elite.
    Good reputation for being long lasting.
    Powerful sound system!
    All whell or four wheel drive - maybe not essential, but pretty important, I live in New England.
    Price range of about 35 - 40k.

So what do you think? I need to buy soon! Please leave a thought or two with your suggestion.

All the best,
    Paul
    Well, I would say EX35, as that is my new "suv" kick ... but it isn't available yet, and you say you need it soon.

If you want big, reliable, and somewhat good on gas, I suggest the Pilot.

• How big do you need exactly?

What about a LR2? They are between 35 and 40k.

This discussion has been closed.