Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2016 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• so I'm not sure how you or other people were able to get a deal below the dealer cost or invoice price ?? If I were to go to the dealer tomorrow to get a CRV EX AWD , what numbers should I point out? Is it $26,071 (dealer cost) minus $548 (holdback) minus $900 ( manufacturer to dealer incentive ) = 24,623 as my ball park figure of what I should be aiming for ?
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    chun8143 said:

so I'm not sure how you or other people were able to get a deal below the dealer cost or invoice price ?? If I were to go to the dealer tomorrow to get a CRV EX AWD , what numbers should I point out? Is it $26,071 (dealer cost) minus $548 (holdback) minus $900 ( manufacturer to dealer incentive ) = 24,623 as my ball park figure of what I should be aiming for ?

We show invoice to be $26,526 with the destination ($900). MSRP is $28,195 for the EX AWD.

$24,600 would be about $2,000 below invoice and about 13% below MSRP. That may be doable in the NYC area although it's a bit aggressive. TMV is about $600 below invoice.

I'd focus on your bottom line number or add in the taxes for an OTD number. I wouldn't even mention holdback, much less try to negotiate it away.
  • chun8143chun8143 Posts: 21
    edited December 2016
    Thanks again for your guidance. Just one last question, based on previous years experience, do you know if even new cars (2017 crvs) would have some rooms for negotiation? Or i would be expected yo pay close to msrp.
    edited December 2016
    Yeah, even around year end if the new CR-Vs arrive in any decent numbers by then. Otherwise the end of January should offer some deals.

Looks like tons of 2016 inventory near NYC. Maybe I'm underestimating deals again....
  • chun8143chun8143 Posts: 21
    edited December 2016
    What is a fair price for 8 year /100k honda care cost for a 2016 honda crv ex in NY?
  • Ending up with the 2016 crv ex for 24.2k before taxes and fees. Beside destination fee and ttl, nothinh else was added. I live in queens ny. I went to the dealer through costco auto program but the costco price was not a good deal. I told the dealer that i received another offer from another dealer through edmunds.com for 24.2k. I didnt expect him to match the offer but he did.
    Terrific! Congrats!

You may want to get a quote for Honda Care here.
  • Well we did it thanks to you for your help

2016 CRV EXL AWD,White,beige interior Rubber mats ,door guards,mud flaps.
    $27673 +125.00 Doc fee+TTL
    Will Pick it up in two weeks when I can make it to the Portland area.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 127,831

Well we did it thanks to you for your help

2016 CRV EXL AWD,White,beige interior Rubber mats ,door guards,mud flaps.
    $27673 +125.00 Doc fee+TTL
    Will Pick it up in two weeks when I can make it to the Portland area.

Congrats!

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Heh, that's one good way to drag out time. :)

Congrats! Love the color combo too.
  • just a FYI, it looks like dealerships in the NYC area are trying to clear out the 2016 models. I received two email offers to get the CRV EX for 24k. There may be more room to negotiate later in the month with month's end and the 2017 models available for purchase on the 21s (available for pickup mid January per the dealer I talked to yesterday).
    Thanks for the update!
  • My 2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L/DVD is hitting it's last legs. (Yesterday the passenger window came off it's track. Not what you want in Decemeber :) ). So playing around with a company sponsored auto buying program. I queried a '16 CRV EX-L 2WD. Those are rare apparently. So, got a quote for AWD EX-L. NY

2016 Honda

CRV EXL AWD

MSRP $ 30,745.00
    Special Internet Price $ 27,613.00
    Sales Tax (8.625%) $ 2,364.37
    NYS Inspection $ 10.00
    Title and Documentation $ 75.00
    NYS Waste Tire $ 12.50
    Out The Door Price $ 29,874.87 (Includes Destination) (Just Add Plates)

Tax actually seems to be calculated on 27,413. Number don't exactly add up. TMV is saying $28,299 for my area. In no rush, unless the window is unfixable and the driver of said odyssey is sick of it.

Oh, I have an '06 Civic with 237,000 miles. Can you get a better deal shopping for two cars at once. ;)
    edited December 2016
    Hi @dcv_2002, your quote is about 10% less than MSRP. Kind of average, kind of meh.

I can get "supplier" pricing on some models. A true employee discount may be worth it, but it seems like most of the other programs may save you some hassle but not much money.

You are obviously educated so you'll do fine (heh, you've been posting here since at least '04, no wonder you know the drill) - let us know how it goes as you shop for more quotes.

Oh, two at once. I don't think it helps but plenty of other people think it does. And they may be right, especially at the end of the month/year (good way for a dealer to pad their quota!).

I guess I'd look at it like you should when you have a trade. Make sure the numbers work for "both" deals.
  • Thanks. Haven't posted in a long time as my current Hondas I guess lasted a while. I felt is was kind of meh also. Wondering if as the year ends and the '17 CRV shows up they get a little more loose on the bottom line...

My interest is piqued in the '17 CRV. Have to see if I can fix that window issue this weekend. Don't know if we can wait that long, but the obvious expectation on the lack of deals.
  • dcv_2002 said:

Thanks. Haven't posted in a long time as my current Hondas I guess lasted a while. I felt is was kind of meh also. Wondering if as the year ends and the '17 CRV shows up they get a little more loose on the bottom line...

My interest is piqued in the '17 CRV. Have to see if I can fix that window issue this weekend. Don't know if we can wait that long, but the obvious expectation on the lack of deals.

Same here. Looks like 2016 crv models are at its lowest, but the 2017s are looking real good. Some dealers already got their cars and are selling them. I am wondering how much more it would be to buy the 2017 crv ex awd compared to a 2016 crv ex awd. I am thinking it might be almost 2.5-3k more. Not sure if it is worth it, but the standard safety features are nice which were optional for 2016 models.

• If i have to do it again i think i would be willing to pay an extra 2k for the 2017s. The honda sensing is standard starting from the EX trim in the 2017s, but only available with the 2016 touring ( no option to add with the ex/exl trims). Plus i think the 2017s come with an extra 2" of leg room.
  • Hi, I am about to buy Honda CR-V EX-L AWD 2016, without any additional packages.
    I am in Pittsburgh, PA.
    1. MSRP $30,625, selling price $27,425
    2. $1646+$315 tax and doc fees
    3. EXL AWD, no additional options
    Total: $29,386

Do you think it is fair price.
    edited December 2016
    HI @dodabek, TMV is close to invoice ($28,819) so your selling price is about $1,400 below invoice and a bit better than 10% off your MSRP. We show MSRP to be $30,645, go figure.

If you have time, you may want to wait another week or ten days and try for 12% off MSRP. That would mean a selling price of $26,950, another $400 or so off. I see about 88 EX-Ls near you on our inventory link so there seems to be plenty around, unless you are set on a certain color.

So, yeah, fair price, might be able to do a little better.
  • I am in Houston. Just got a OTD price from local dealer. Is the deal ok? Thanks for kindly help.
    By the way, what's the nitrogen tires fee?
    VEHICLE INFORMATION
    2016 CR-V lx MSRP: 24,645.00
    Vehicle Cost Breakdown
    Your Selling Price = 20,307.00
    destination = 900.00
    nitrogen tires = 199.00
    SUB TOTAL = 21,406.00
    ​ ​ Trade in Allowance - ​
    Trade Difference = 21,406.00
    ​ ​ Sales Tax - 6.25% ​ 1,337.88
    Trade Pay Off = ​
    ​ ​ Inventory Tax - .25% + 45.02
    ​ ​ Documentary Fee + 150.00
    ​ ​ Title, Inspection, License Fee + 185.00
    Total drive out price​ = 23,123.89
  • stever said:

HI @dodabek, TMV is close to invoice ($28,819) so your selling price is about $1,400 below invoice and a bit better than 10% off your MSRP. We show MSRP to be $30,645, go figure.

If you have time, you may want to wait another week or ten days and try for 12% off MSRP. That would mean a selling price of $26,950, another $400 or so off. I see about 88 EX-Ls near you on our inventory link so there seems to be plenty around, unless you are set on a certain color.

So, yeah, fair price, might be able to do a little better.

Thank you for your guidance and you are fast. I will negotiate on cutting the price.
    edited December 2016
    houston66 said:

I am in Houston. Just got a OTD price from local dealer. Is the deal ok? Thanks for kindly help.
    By the way, what's the nitrogen tires fee?
    VEHICLE INFORMATION
    2016 CR-V lx MSRP: 24,645.00
    Vehicle Cost Breakdown
    Your Selling Price = 20,307.00
    destination = 900.00
    nitrogen tires = 199.00
    SUB TOTAL = 21,406.00
    ​ ​ Trade in Allowance - ​
    Trade Difference = 21,406.00
    ​ ​ Sales Tax - 6.25% ​ 1,337.88
    Trade Pay Off = ​
    ​ ​ Inventory Tax - .25% + 45.02
    ​ ​ Documentary Fee + 150.00
    ​ ​ Title, Inspection, License Fee + 185.00
    Total drive out price​ = 23,123.89

Hey neighbor, if you've skimmed back in this discussion, you may have noticed a few comments about how Houston has gotten better on Honda pricing in the last year. Dallas still has a little edge I think, but not much.

First off, what we breathe is ~78% nitrogen and 100% nitrogen is, in my opinion, worthless for passenger car tires. It's certainly not worth $199 and if I saw that on a quote, I'd be inclined to scratch that dealer off my list and try another or even look at a different brand.

My feeling is that if the dealer is going to try to rip me off on something that dumb, just wait until I have to take it in for service. It's a royal RIP-OFF.

Where was I? Oh yeah, the numbers. :)

The True Market Value average price paid for Houston is $22,219 (that's with the destination but before taxes and fees). That's about $1,000 below invoice and ~10% off MSRP.

So your selling price is good, about 14% below MSRP and around $2,000 off invoice.

I'd do that deal - I guess the stupid nitrogen fee is a good part of their profit. But tell them it's junk and round your OTD counter-offer down to $23,000 even. Maybe they'll give you a breath of fresh air and take the counter. :)
  • Hi Stever,
    Thank you so much for spending time to answer my question. It's really helpful. I will try to ask dealer to use regular tires instead of nitrogen tires. It's interesting, I got another quote from Gillman Honda and they also list nitrogen tires for $399. It looks like a common trick for dealers to use nitrogen tires to make profit Hopefully I will get the OTD price of $23000 or less. Thanks again :)
    edited December 2016
    It's the same tires, just different "air".

We've seen the same profit padding over the years with paint protection, fabric protection, aftermarket car alarms, VIN etching, Lo-Jack, extended warranties, free oil changes, bumping up the interest rate on loans (payment packing), pin striping, prep fees (dealers are paid to prep cars by the automakers) and who knows what else.

Some people insist that their new car be delivered to their home so they can avoid most of the junk selling in the "F&I office" when they go to pay.
  • Hi, I live in Sunnyvale 94085 and I have been getting quotes for 2016 Honda CRV EX AWD last week . The best offer I got so far is around 24000 through the internet manager from one of the dealerships. Am trying to negotiate with dealers in my area. Is this is a decent deal. Am trying to negotiate for 23000$. 
    Hi @sprasanna86, the "book" numbers for your zip are invoice, $26,526, MSRP, $28,195 and TMV is $25,582.

So $24,000 is good about $2,500 off invoice and that's about 14% off MSRP.

$23k would be a bit more than 18% off MSRP. That's within reason.

Just have to find a "reasonable" dealer. :)

Let us know how it goes and good luck!
  • Welp. Put 4 new tires on the '04 Odyssey. Also fixed (permanently) the passenger side window that slid into the door. The driver of said Odyssey is currently happy with the vehicle, so I probably will actually have time to shop for a '17 CRV or something different/else. My '06 Civic just went over 237k this week. :open_mouth:
    edited December 2016
    lol @dcv_2002, I put new tires on my Grand Caravan a couple of months ago and immediately doubled its value. :)

You guys are "due" but it's nice not having to have a car right away. The new CR-V is already showing up at a few dealerships, according to rumor. You can have fun checking them out.
  • 2016 CR-V SE FWD $23,200 OTD(Taxes,tag, everything included), No trade, No money down. In tampa,FL area. Should I go for lower?
    Hi @quattro06, the True Market Value average price paid for your area is $23,050. Looks like your taxes are at least 10%. So I think your selling price is around $20,880. That sounds too low, since that would be ~$3,800 under the invoice of $24,693.

If my backward math is right, grab it!