Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Cadillac Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• New to posting...really need HELP. since oct.05 we have put 5 thousand dollars in repairs into our 99 Seville with all the whistles and bells beautiful car in diamond white (its a girl thing). With each repair a new problem presented itself the same day. We have a major oil leak on the driver side towards the front. The dealer will repair for 26 hundred. We decided to trade it in with 73 thousand miles on it,no dings no accidents, interior in great shape......My husbands jaw dropped at the bargaining table when he heard the dealers offer of 4 thousand dollars for the trade in. DEAL OFF. Got them to 6 as long as when they put it on the rack that it didn't have a OIL leak that they guess is common with these cars. No Thanks bye,bye......My husband wants to go ahead and repair,I'm wondering what can of worms will that open up.....Any opinions out there would be greatly appreciated.
  • Getting it repaired would depend on how much oil it is leaking. Is it leaking enough to show up on the back of the car? Does it leave puddles larger than a softball after parking it for a couple of hours? Personally I would add oil and drive it. It will still be worth $4000 to somebody a couple of years from now regardless of the miles. If you have it repaired, most mechanics don't put things back like they find them. Everything is made of plastic and they break holders and locking devices for wires and everything is left dangling, and for that you paid $3000.
  • hey, my 1994 4.9 sedan deville is doing the same thing. i can't locate its source 'cause it only does it when i'm out on the road. when your dealer did that clean out, how long before it came back?
  • len11len11 Posts: 4
    Have a 95 cadillac seville. Blower motor stopped working. Since the motor has voltage at all times between the red and black wire how does one check if the motor is the problem(bad) or the control on the dash? Thanks
  • Have your friend check out the Hyundai Azera, it's packed with features, has excellent build quality, is smooth and pretty much Lexus quiet all at great price.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,482
    Let's stay on topic please. This discussion is for Cadillacs.

thanks!

MrShiftright
    Host

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• day9day9 Posts: 57
    One thing I am wondering is why he wanted to get rid of the car? Seems to me it is in perfect condition and a keeper. :confuse:
  • My problem started this morning, I went out, started my car, went to put in in gear (1989 Seville, automatic) and the shifter would not move.
    The button that you push to move into a new gear will not depress. It is solid and stuck.
    I did try to rock the car a little to perhaps move something. I warmed the car for a long period (it was 1 degree here today) and nothing. Any suggestions as to where I should start?
    Thanks
    Donna :sick:
  • hofiehofie Posts: 1
    AFTER RECEIVING A 'SUSPENSION SERVICE NEEDED' MESSAGE ON MY DASH, I TOOK MY '01 DEVILLE TO BE SERVICED AND WAS TOLD THAT "...DUE TO UPDATING THE COMPUTER, I WOULD NEED TO REPLACE SENSOR #'s 1288 & 1295 (1295 WOULD REQUIRE ME TO ALSO REPLACE MY THIRD BRAKELIGHT )!! SOUNDS LIKE AN ENGINEERING BOO-BOO TO ME ! ANY KNOWN SIMILAR RECALLS I MIGHT HAVE MISSED ?? HOW CAN I CHECK ?
  • daryll44daryll44 Posts: 307
    Why does he want to get rid of the car? Because he uses it for business and likes to drive a "new" car. You can argue that it's a perfectly good Cadillac...so why get rid of it...but that doesn't negate the fact that it depreciated down to about 1/3 of the original price in a mere 3 years. Thus calling into question: "Why throw good money after bad and reward GM with another sale, when Lexus holds it's value MUCH better and costs MUCH less dollar per mile?".
  • ruffoloruffolo Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 STS , battery goes dead once in a while cant find problem ,just does it at night when sitting, please send help >
    Doug
    Is it an original battery (seven years old?) If so, it's life is about up.

If it's a newer battery, you could do a simple test for battery drain with a voltmeter or have someone do this. There may be some normal milliamp drain from some accessory or LED but not very much.

Also if you use the car infrequently, you may need to attach a maintenance charger when it's in the garage for any length of time.

But first, check the age of the battery and if it's factory original, I'd swap it out.

• ruffoloruffolo Posts: 3
    Thanks for thr reply the battery is new and the car dosent do this all the time , but more often than it should I will start with getting someone to check milliamps, also the car @ one time had on star I dont know if this has to be un hooked @ the dealer ?? It has a phone also but we dont use it anymore,Ive tried all the regular stuff even had my best friend sit in the trunk to make sure the light went out!!! appreciate anything else you can throw my way.

Ruff
  • Hi, Maybe someone can help me. I have a 98 Seville SLS with 89000 miles. About 5ooo miles ago the car started taking off in second gear and the traction control light came on. I paid $500 for a new traction control/ABS module and had it installed at a later date. Well the car is stil taking off in second and the traction light is still on. Cadillac and an independent mechanic can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • I have a 1999 Cadillac Deville Concours. I am hearing a thumping noise coming from underneath or the rear of the car. The tires appear to be fine (new) and I checked the trunk to make sure that there was nothing bumping around in there. This just started today. Does anyone know what this noise could be? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :confuse:
  • This has been the best car I ever owned. Up until a few months ago I was getting 16/25 MPG. The car was running like a top. I let my battery go dead & had to replace it & ever since then I have had nothing but problems. I had a major tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, fuel injector cleaning) & the car is now getting 11/14 MPG. I accelerate & get very little power. It backfires occasionally & is "missing". Everyone tells me, "give it up, it just got old & died". But the body is still in beautiful shape & the dealer only offered me $200 for it to trade on a newer model. Even to sell it privately at even close to Kelly Blue Book Value ($1500), I feel I need to fix it. Any suggestions? I just put $900 into the car over the course of 3 months, & hate to keep throwing money in if I still come out with $200 to sell it.
    that's a lot of miles....the car has really done its job and its natural (statistical) life is over. I'd let it go and maybe some mechanic with free labor on his side can sort it out. Sounds like bad injectors but who can say without computer diagnosis?

If you like these cars, buy a used one with low miles.

• pcollinspcollins Posts: 1
    I need info on how to check what code is causing this light to come on.
  • orma69orma69 Posts: 1
    The same thing happened to me,The Phone in the arm rest drained the battery in minutes when the power was activated and the car was off, I never use the Phone it would go on if I checked the CD changer. I have a 98 Sts dont know if the same option is in yours. I got rid of the phone never had that problem again. I hope I helped
    Chris
  • ron631ron631 Posts: 1
    Recently purchased a 1995 DeVille, with no owner's manual. Can anyone tell me where the heat gage in this vehicle is to keep an eye on whether it's overheating?
  • jaymannjaymann Posts: 3
    I have been dealing with this problem now for over a year. The car - it seems at no know reason, time or purpose begins to rev extremely high - over 3,000 RPMs at times. I have to shut down engine - restart it at least three times - and seems to reset itself after 3rd restart. But, will eventually do this again.

It also has been know to do the opposite, where the idle will fall so low that it will stall - again for no know reason or problem.

I have had the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), Idle Air Control (IAC), the related wiring all replaced and rechecked over four times. The TPS and IAC were both replaced 3 times.

I'm at a loss. It has cost me over $2,000 and I still have the exact problem when I started. No one knows what to do - including myself.

Has anyone had similar problems and solved it? If, please HELP! Thanks
  • jaymannjaymann Posts: 3
    I own a '97 STS and have always used regular gas - approx. 87 octane. Car has nearly 160K miles.
  • I just replaced the entire suspension system (air ride) on my 94 Eldo with an aftermarket, a good fix but cannot remove the message on the computer "service ride control", trying to find out how!!
  • I have replaced the air ride system on a 94 eldo and cannot remove this message,
    Any solutions out there? :cry:
  • I have gone through 3 of these for about $175 each because the small black plastic finger button starts falling out.
    Extremely poor design as so many things on this model.
    Any way to repair this problem?
    Thank you. :P :lemon:
  • vic8vic8 Posts: 13
    Place the key in your egnition and turn it on.Dont start the engine.Place two fingers,one on the off switch and the other on the red heat button,on your climate control.Hold both buttons down until the computer turns on,you'll see a lot of lights go on,once this happens take your fingers off.Now the trouble codes will start coming up.you will probaly see history codes,meaning prior and current,meaning at present.
  • vic8vic8 Posts: 13
    Can anyone tell me,how to go about changing the rear spark plugs and wires on my 1997 Caddy Deville.The front four look to be easy.Thanks! :confuse: image
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    I recently inherited a '97 DeVille D'Elegance from my grandmother with only 27k miles on it(I know, she didn't drive it anywhere). My problem is this; the car's ride level is fine with say me and a front passenger. But put an adult in the back seat, and the car 's rear end drops drastically. I can hear the compressor trying to air the shocks up, but once under way, the car drops back down again.

The "Service Suspension" light hasn't appeared. But once the load has been taken off, the car's ride height/level returns to normal. Could it be true that this car needs rear shocks already? I see a lot of older DeVilles (94-99) that have the "droopy butt". Is this something relative to this model. I say this because my '03 DeVille DTS doesn't have this problem. Even the base and DHS models were absent of this. Other than that, the car is flawless. It still has the new car smell. It will prbably remain that way as this car requires premium as opposed to regular for my DTS, and @ $3.60/gal as of yesterday, I don't think I'll be driving it any time soon. In advance, any help would be appreciated.
  • During the four years I have owned this Cadillac have had one problem after another..When starting cold, engine really noisy and shakes..dealer cleaned carbon, problem keep returning. Also burns oil, one quart per l,000 miles, dealer says this is normal..Leaks antifreeze..dealer wants $875 to fix small leak, tires wear out every 20,000 miles, 3 of the 4 power windows have stopped working..Dealer wants $625 per window to fix with new motor and more if find additional problems. First and last Cadillac I will own. I am not use to car problems like this. We drive Ford Windstars at work. Get 250,000 plus miles from these with virtually no mechanical problems or oil use.
  • cddydhscddydhs Posts: 1
    Can you tell me how to remove the front door panel driver side from my 2001 DHS I have all the snap in clips removed.Im trying to avoid damage. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.