Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2001 Dodge Ram

Comments

• firemandavefiremandave Posts: 58
    Mine came in on a Sat., and I had to wait until Mon. night to pick it up. (They wanted to make me wait until Wed., but I whined them into Mon.)
    Mine had 10 miles on it when I got it. A few of those miles was the dealer filling it up with fuel.
  • nascar6nascar6 Posts: 113
    I drove it away from the dealer with 8 miles on it. Now it has over 40. It gets up and goes for a 6000# truck. Took me a little while to keep finding 3rd gear, but I got the hang of it now. It's really load outside, but really not an issue inside. The stereo really sounds great. It's the RAZ-code radio. Travel gadget says I'm getting 13mpg. I've had my foot in it a few times ;)

Very happy with the whole purchase.
    More tomorrow.

Mike
    Louisville, KY
  • RichinKsRichinKs Posts: 416
    Sales manager called last night about 9pm to say the dealership has received the invoice. About 10:30pm my wife checked Cassens and there is an entry for my truck! Has the vin, dealer number and dealer name. But ship date and time and terminal name are blank. I am guessing Cassens has received it for shipment but is waiting for a full load coming this way. There are 3 Dodge dealers in Wichita so I assume they could send a mix for the three dealers. It could include cars too as I've seen trucks headed west from St. Louis with both cars on trucks on board. There have been no storms in the St. Louis area this week and none forcast for Missouri or Kansas (My luck to get hail damage.)
    When you get your truck, plan on to be busy driving it around to show it off to family/friends. I haven't even had time to browse through the owners manual yet. Today I'm off to buy some side step bars. Seems as though everyone that climbs aboard comments on the BIG step up.:)
    When you park in a parking lot (in the back of course) you can't help but to turn around after about 100' to look at it from a distance. Have fun with it!

Mike
  • akwesakwes Posts: 1
    I had ordered my Dodge SLT1500 QC longbed for $99.00 over dealers cost. I received it in six weeks. It had 6 miles with a full tank of fuel. I live in Northern California and the salesman told me about 8 to 10 weeks. Boy were we both surprised when it came in 6 weeks. I now got about 840 miles on it and it is averaging about 15 mpg. The engine is the 5.2 liter or 318 cid with the 5 speed manual. Just love the truck and make the guys a work drool over it. Good luck on you purchase and delivery.
    Marv
  • dekingkdekingk Posts: 44
    Just got back from our first trip out pulling our 5th wheel with the new truck. The Cummins is a joy to listen to when cruising down the 2 lane at 65 mph and the tach is reading 1700 rpm and putting out all that torque. I wrote a while back about the rear springs being a little too stiff, and I still feel the same. With 1600+ lbs of weight on the hitch the truck still sits high in the rear. On level ground the overload springs are still not quite touching the rubber. I'll wait til we've made a couple more runs before I decide for sure but I'm leaning toward having a leaf taken out along with the spacer that lifts the rear even higher.
    We camped for a week in Sampson St. Park on Seneca Lake in New York, and had at least five days of rain. When it came time to leave some of the other campers came to watch me try to get out with my 4x2 in the mud. I just put it drive and gave it just enough pedal to make it creap out and never spun a wheel. The anti spin axle doea a good job.
  • qhlisaqhlisa Posts: 9
    I pulled my trailer yesterday for the first time with my brand new (GORGEOUS!!) 3500 SLT QuadCab Diesel. The engine purred along - the truck handled great (hard to even tell the trailer was there!)
  • slick16slick16 Posts: 1
    I've been following your conversations for several weeks now and just thought I would let you know I ordered a 3500 Regular Cab, Diesel, 4WD (black), fully loaded, leather, automatic on March 22 and it arrived at my dealer on May 18. It is as nice as I thought it would be. It was built in Mexico and is a real beauty. I picked it up today and put 120 miles on it already! Planning on hauling my Harley's with it to the various bike rallies around the country.

I tried to keep tabs on my trucks progress through the 800 number and the info I received about the build date and ship date was fairly accurate. The dealer originally told me it would be 6-8 weeks and it came in right under 8 weeks.

Believe me, it was well worth the wait!
    After 310 miles, I decided to fuel up for the 1st time. Took 18.5 gallons, so that works down to 16.8 mpg. That's what the travel gadget thing said I was getting too. I figure that's pretty good for it not being broken in yet.

The truck is a 2001 3/4ton, Cummins, 6-speed, 4X4, 3.54:1 LSD

nascar6
  • davids1davids1 Posts: 411
    Didn't know those trucks came with LSD. Cool!!!
    It's the new hippie option!

********Peace********
    It shipped this morning at 9:04am according to the Cassen web site! It should be in town this evening I would guess unless it goes to the KC terminal tobe reloaded. What horrible timing. We are leaving in the morning to go to a shooting tournament this weekend. I would wait for it if I didn't have to have a bedcover for my gear. So it looks promising I will have it next Tuesday, about 8 1/2 months. Glad no body else on here has had to wait this long. ... Rich
  • tmigueltmiguel Posts: 33
    Just finished round trip to Oxnard from LA. 162 miles, under 65 mph, flat (hwy 1), sealevel. Milage 14.8mpg, still breaking in. City milage 10.5 mpg.

2500,V-10,5spd,4x4,reg cab,265 tires,3.54 rear
    I drive with an easy foot and within the speed limit.
    Got home late last night from Texas and found two messages on the answering machine from my salesman. Didn't say why, just said to call. Checked the Cassens site and it shows our truck was delivered Thursday about the time we were leaving home on our trip. My wife and I are going to go see if we can find it on the lot today, (dealer is closed) and get my old truck cleaned out and ready to trade. About 27 hours and we should have it! ... Rich
    Great news Rich! You must be the most patient person who ever bought a Ram (they didn't give you any other choice, did they). I'll be checking to see how you like it. Keep us posted.
    Dave
    Thanks Dave. Just got home from the dealers. Looked around at the back of the rows of new trucks with no luck. My wife finally found it at the back of the lot sitting behind a building. It has a sold sign on it with my last name written on the sold sign. Forest Green Pearl coat, 2500, quad cab, 4x4 slt plus, short bed, sliding rear window, 4.10 rear, Michelin LT265's (my wife thinks they look too small) and all the towing/camper options. Rear sway bar and extra leaf springs. The underneath suspension looks massive compared to my 1/2 Chevy. And V10, 310 hp 450 fpt, auto. Now my one big worry. Its sticker price is about a thousand higher than when I ordered it. And of course my trade-in is older with more miles. But still in good condition and everything works. I feel they should honor the deal they made and they should have had factory price protection. Afterall, they are the ones that didn't have the allocation for it without telling me. .... Rich
    Rich:
    The window sticker shouldn't have anything to do with your deal. It should just show everything listed at manufacturer's suggested retail price. Mine was the same way - I think that's how they all come. Absolutely yes - they should honor your trade-in agreement - especially after all you've been through. Don't let them try to BS you - they'll still make their money on the deal. You had absolutely no control over when the truck finally came in.
    By the way, did you notice the line on the sticker that says "Built Especially for Rich..."?
    I thought that was cool when I saw it on mine. (My truck is the same color as yours - it's sharp!)
    Happy motoring and let us know how it feels behind the wheel!
    Dave
    No I didn't notice. I was just looking at options to see if everything I remembered ordering was there. I'll call the dealership at 9am in the morning and see if the salesman is in yet. Ready to get this deal done. Then off to the accessary shop. I have a Roll-N-Lock cover on my current truck. I am thinking of getting the Specialties Covers electric rollup bed cover. My wife had trouble with the roll-n-lock. Also a bedliner, duraliner or pentaliner. Then some Nerf bars (heh-heh). Stainless are longer lasting I know but I think I'll get chrome. Large diameter ones like I had on my 94 blazer. See if they still have them. Then my wife wants a chrome brush guard. By the way, I saw some white Rams this past weekend with black nerf tubes and brush guard. Looked neat. But with a dark color I think the chrome will look better. Also need to get my fifth wheel hitch installed. But I want to get 500 miles or so on it before towing anyhow. I'll have to see if the manual recommends more but I think at least 500 to get the differentail gears etc broke in. .... I'll post tomorrow after we pick it up. Rich
    Can you believe this day has come? How many weeks was it? It was almost like a full term pregnancy wasn't it? So is it a boy or a girl? Check on the right half of the window sticker, and near the top it should say "this vehicle was especially built for..." you. Plan on getting mud flaps of some kind. Those tire treads are like rock magnets. The rocks get wedged in the treads, then when you get going fast enough, they fly out and can chip your paint. One of my favorite options are the radio buttons on the steering wheel. I use them a lot. It's almost like channel surfing with the remote for cable tv.
    Make a copy of the check list from dodgeram.com to check out the truck. I'm so glad you finally got this truck. Now this topic probably won't get many posts anymore. You were one of the first posts way back. I'll be waiting to read more info tomorrow (Tues.)

Mike
    4 hours at the dealer today and we finally got our truck. They rewrote the contract showing the new window sticker price and knocked several thousand dollars off my trade-in. Which is exactly as they looked at it last September except 10K more miles and thinner tires. After several hours of bickering I finally asked for my deposite back. Then the General Manager came in. Finally we got our price if we agreed to give them a good rating on the survey we will receive from Dodge. It kind of took the fun out of getting the new truck. But its home now and we are going for a ride shortly. I think it will be better after I drive it a while and get over this negociation thing. So far it seems great but its been hard to appreciate so far. Tomorrow hopefully will be a better day. ... Rich
  • warfishwarfish Posts: 117
    I've been following your saga for several months and found the whole thing very interesting. The dealer was only trying to make a living by upping the ante on you but I'm glad you won out. After all you've been through that's the least he could do.
    Don't be too worried about putting miles on your truck before you tow with it, even though we all feel that way. The manual for my Cummins truck says it's a good way to break it in.
    Enjoy.
    First off, I don't think vehicles require the break in today they did 30 years ago. But differential gears etc. do wear in in the first few miles, and I don't know exactly how many. But since I don't have a need to tow my fifth wheel for a couple of weeks I think it won't hurt to run it solo for that time. Gives all the gears and seals time to set in. But in the long run I cann't say it will make much difference. ... got over 50 miles this evening. all guages stayed where they should. truck doesn't pull and brakes strait. Considering it was a windy evening I was satisfied how it handled in the wind (20 - 25). Seems a little stiffer running down a smooth road than my half ton, but handles bumps such as railroad crossing smoother. Everything seems to be working well so far. I am pleased. Haven't got on it hard yet, but seems responsive. Maybe in a week or two. It sure seems massive compared to my 1/2 ton. Looks nice being tall but at 6 feet I have to strech to reach in the bed over the side. Well since we didn't get to the accessory shop today I'll head there in the morning.
    Rich,

I'd tell them where they could stick their good rating. I haven't received my survey yet, but if there's a place on it for comments, fill that area up! Tell it the way the whole experience was.

Mike
    I was on the highway a short distance today with a strong cross wind (20 - 30 mph) and was impressed the way the truck handled it. I have the towing / Camping option so have sway bars front and rear. Got MAAP polished stainless steel nerf tubes installed today along with a Pentaliner. Also ordered a Roll-N-Lock cover which should be here in less than two weeks. The salesman called this morning and asked my wife how we liked it so far. She mentioned to him we spotted a small ding (hard to see ) in the front fender. One of those hard to see but once you see it it stands out. He just called a few minutes ago and wants to pick it up in the morning and take care of it for us. Never had a dealer pick up a vehicle for me. They must feel guilty. No, I don't think so or the General Manager wouldn't have tried to sell my wife a car during the fiasco yesterday. ... Rich
  • Congrats Rich!
    Way to go standing your ground on the price. It had to be hard to call their bluff when your loooooong awaited truck was there to be picked up. I'm with Mike, be honest on your evaluation (that reminds me that I still have to fill that thing out). Good luck and let the joy of having the truck block out your sour waiting experience.
    Dave
    I have a question for anyone out there who has a new or nearly new Dodge with a 34 or 35 gallon fuel tank. Is your fuel gauge accurate?
    I traded in a '98 1500 Quad Cab, it had a 26 gal. tank and when the gauge read 1/8 the low fuel bell would go off. When this happened there was about 1 1/2 gallons left in the tank. My '01 2500 Quad has a 34 gallon tank and the gauge works exactly the same, when the bell goes off it takes 24 1/2 gallons to fill it. I looked at the tank and it is bigger than the one in the 1500. I wonder if it has the wrong gauge sender in it or if this is just something peculiar to Dodges.
    The 800 number was of no help except to assure me I did have a 34 gal tank.
  • markcordmarkcord Posts: 113
    I have a 2K with a 35 gal. tank. Bell goes off at 1/8 tank but I have more than 1.5 gals. left. Computer usually reads about 20-30 miles DTE and with a V10 that's got to mean more than 1.5 gals.!
  • rowycobobrowycobob Posts: 4
    congratulations to everyone who has finally gotten their trucks. i'm still waiting.it left the factory on 5/11 got to ill. train yard on 5/12. then it sat until 5/30 and was finally put on the train. now they tell me 6/5 before it reaches del. then it has to be loaded back on a truck to take it to the dealer. after waiting 3 1/2 months for it to be built i hoped it would ship faster,salesman said 10 days. oh well, on the bright side dodge started a $1000 rebate today,6/1. so at least the wait is saving me money.
    I have a 2001 2500 w/ Cummins and just filled the tank. The gauge read 1/4 full when I filled it, and it took 25 gallons. I have a 35 gal tank.
    35gal/4 quarters =8.75gal/each 1/4 tank
    8.75gal*3 (3 quarters of a tank)=26.25gal.
    That's 1.25 gallon difference. I'd say my gauge is fairly accurate.

nascar6
    Mine is a 34 gal tank. When I filled up I had 1/8
    left, 35/8 = 4.25 X 7 = 29.75, it only takes 25 gals. to fill it. I'd say may gauge is off by almost 5 gallons and I don't call that accurate.
    If you wait until the bell goes off what happens then?
This discussion has been closed.