Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smart Shopper - Suggest a topic of discussion

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,059
    I would suggest posting your question in General Questions about Leasing Vehicles.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • What time of the year can you find the best deals? I am wondering if I have to wait until the end of this year or the beginning of 2008 to find a good deal for a 2007 car.
    I think that might be covered in Buying Tips: How Do I Get the Best Deal?.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • irismgirismg Posts: 345
    It does. Thank you for that.
  • The Monroney sticker or MSRP sticker IN DETAIL

All the websites give the obvious info as to what to find on the Monroney sticker, but I can't find one that decodes the less obvious stuff. What does the date in the bottom right corner (in teeny print) mean? Went to several Chevy dealers on a day they were closed & compared these dates, I'm guessing they are production dates, not delivery dates since there were a lot of same dates. Some were a year old, but the same dates. Also what do the large letters "DO" again in the bottom right mean? Dealer owned? After awhile of financing the new cars on the lot, do dealers eventually own them? Or does "DO" mean something entirely different? We were unable to determine the pattern of what had a DO & what didn't.

Most importantly, sometimes after the VIN, it says "REISSUE", what does that mean? Does it mena the VIN was reissued? Is that possible & if so, why? I found it on several dealer demos, but not on all dealer demos & on some that didn't appear to be demos. It seems shady to me, but I made a point of going to dealers that weren't associated & saw the "REISSUE" at both.
  • joel0622joel0622 Posts: 3,302
    Is there a place to talk about the UAW and what happens if GM does not get a contract in place tonight and they strike?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 21,438
    UAW is here...

UAW

Feel free to join the pool choosing settlement date.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• Reissue is most likely a reprinted Monroney sticker as the original was damaged or lost. That happens all the time with demos so we just call a certain 1-800 number or login to the proper screen on our computer system.

They will mail us a reprinted window sticker in a couple of weeks.

No idea what all your other questions mean as I don't work for a chevy dealer.
  • Thank you so much British_Rover! Your answer helps a lot. I was afraid that the VIN # itself was reissued & that certainly didn't sound legit or possible. I'm going to stop at another brand dealer today & see if the small print date & the "DO" designation is unique to Chevy.

Thanks Again,
    Zoesam
  • hi people, who could explain me some tips in american car trade and iternational shiping ?

can i buy a car without auctions ? is it ever possible ? is there any risk to buy not exactly what you expecting ?

well, can i find some dealer or broker, who could arrange all these things ? buying car and shiping ?

thanks.
    have a lot of questions in my head, dont know where to start.
    This may not be exactly what you are looking for but give it a try: European Delivery: Experiences, Advice & Info

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • My son is 21 and is going to be getting his first vehicle soon. He wants a car (vs. SUV, truck, etc.) He is a big guy....6'5" tall and muscular. What are some cars that he should look at so that he has adequate head and leg room? Thanks. :confuse:
  • zoesamzoesam Posts: 33
    Don't know, but while doing some other research online I came across an article at Consumer Reports online regarding the best cars for tall & short people.
    We have just the topic for you! Best Vehicles for Taller/Larger Drivers

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I purchased a transferable certified used honda pilot on finance from a registered honda dealer on 10/13/2007. I added
    [LIST=1]
    [*]Extended warranty.
    [*] GAP
    [*] Lojack
    [*] Replacement insurance
    [/LIST] based on the misleading information given to me. Okay I got deceived- first time buyer. :mad:

[B]Problem 1[/B]
    Now I want to opt out of the contract ie have a new contract signed without the above four. I went to the dealer on 10/15/2007 and made my case. Looking at the individual documents, I can opt out within 30 days of receiving these 4 contract. The finance contract has no option for me to cancel/ revoke. The problem is if I opt out from the four, (ie after receiving the documents in the mail); I only get a check for the amount I paid for excluding any finance charges from the bank.

That was the main reason why I wanted to remove these four. To reduce the car loan thus reducing my finance charges and monthly payments. I tell the honda dealer why I want it removed but I'm been told I can't get a new contract removing the above four. :mad:

I definitely wouldn't recommend this dealer to anyone but is there away I could void the present contract. I don't like the hassle of going to court, first it's lenghty and may not be economical.

[B]Problem 2[/B]

At the honda dealer on 10/15/2007 while fight for a solution for the problem above, the dealer's finance manager corrected my assumption that my loan wasn't calculated using the laws of compounding interest but based on the laws of simple interest. It was clearly written at the top of the bank/ loan contract.

Using Microsoft Excel entered the my monthly payments, bank interest rate, loan amount and time ( number of years to pay off my loan). Also I quickly in his presence tried in vain to inform him that the total finance charge I would pay isn't what is printed on the document. If I use the compound interest formula, the total finance charge I would pay is what is printed on the document. . Either he was pretending or he truly was ignorant of the formula. I plan on getting home and using a financial software to verify my assumption. Buyers are deceived into thinking their rates are based on simple interest but truly it's based on compound interest.

Definitely on all grounds based on the simple interest this contract is invalid. What should I do now. I know

What should I do
    [LIST=1]
    [*]Do nothing but reget doing business with this dealer?
    [*]Seek a legal help and fight them in court whatever it takes.
    [/LIST]
    I would recommend posing your questions in the Questions About Financing New Vehicles discussion.

Regarding your question about compound versus simple interest, I don't know what your contract says but I don't think anyone provides nor does anyone expect simple interest on a car loan. We can discuss it in the above indicated topic.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • done

It is boldly spell out Simple interest.

I falsely assume likewise if not of the finance manager who showed me I would never have noticed.
  • joel0622joel0622 Posts: 3,302
    Oh hellooooo pot this kettle calling.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,042
    Hey hemipeen, try dropping into our Buying Tips discussion

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

I believe you are looking for this dicussion: Buying Tips - How Do I Get the Best Deal?

Also, note that this page is for suggesting topics for discussion.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Hey guys! Our old car got into a bit of an accident and we settled for about 6k. Suffice to say, we need a new set of wheels.

We were split between a v6-Camry and an v6-Accord, and were about to make a decision but came across some consumer reports that said neither Toyota nor Honda were good...

I'm looking for some pros/cons for both, and any other recommendations for any other makes/brands,anything in the range of or under 25k that you guys may have. Not really looking for anything special, a family car for groceries and the occasional out-of-state trip to the relatives...V6 engine to last...
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Posts: 1,828
    We were split between a v6-Camry and an v6-Accord, and were about to make a decision but came across some consumer reports that said neither Toyota nor Honda were good...

Now THAT is a new one.

Personally, the Camry and the Accord are seen as being very reliable and have been for years. I would also add the Chevrolet Impala which is a very solid and comfortable vehicle. My wife's company fleet is all Impalas and they have had really good success in terms of reliability.

I would also look at the v6 Ford Fusion/ Mercury Milano as it is a very stylish and solid vehicle. I would NOT recommend the I4 models which feel very underpowered.
  • hello, i would like to purcahse a new good looking car seat covers for my car...bau i'd also wanna buy them with a good price and good quality..so can anyone tell me where should i be looking ??!!
  • well after surffing the internet for more that an hour...i found a very nice and well organized website..they ve it all..all the makes with all the models, sub models and the years..anyway..if anyone is looking for a new seat covers for his car... i recommend visiting that site:
    www.barbari.com
  • How about: "Followup calls after a bad CSI survey." The customer has a rotten experience, and fills out the survey accordingly. But then, the customer receives a call from the salesman, complaining about the bad survey! The stories I've heard are just hilarious, and outrageous.
    I think you might be interested in this: Customer Satisfaction Surveys

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I recently walked a Suzuki dealer's lot and almost all of the new cars had a dealer add on option of paint and interior protectant for (can you believe this?!) $4999.00 How can they get away with this? Do people really pay this ridiculous amount? This add on made a $16000 Forenza $21000!!! Is this the ultimate rip off or what?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,042
    Best place to ask: Dealer Add-Ons & Extras

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• 1st time using the internet to research and find a new car. Problem is when I 'build' my car and then go to find it there are none to be found. It doesn't matter if I choose Mazda, Honda, Toyota, Chevy, whatever...there are plenty of base models in the online inventories but virtually zero upgraded models. Is it because this is the wrong time of year (December-January), standard dealer practice to force you to special order what you want, conspiracy, what?