Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smart Shopper - Suggest a topic of discussion

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,059
    Thanks for catching that. Let's try again: Jaguar XK-Series

tidester, host
  • danosu9danosu9 Posts: 1
    Wondering if anyone could give me some advice. Its kinda long and I apologize. Ill cut to the point. After a dealership couldnt find me the car they promised me they tried to sell me just about anything since they already had my car and i was in a lender. So the dealer asked if I like the color of a car we looked at previously and I said I did. When I came back to pick the car up the car was lighter than I remembered. So I just bought a new Mazda 6 that is a color I really do not like. Its called dark cherry which to me looks purple. I thought it was a dark red not a dark purple. In maryland their is no cooling off period. So now Im stuck with a 6 year loan and a purple car. This was the first car I purchased it and Im the kid who bought a purple car. Im really unhappy about the whole situation. And dont really have any options I dont think. So if anyone has any suggestions for me I would appreciate it. Its really bumming out driving around in a purple car. I know this probably sounds petty. But it is. Thanks

PS I know its my fault for signing the papers. Just looking if theirs anywhere I could go from here.
    Here's the reply to your earlier posting of your question:

tidester, "Forums Discussion Finder: Get Directions Here" #6910, 16 Aug 2006 11:13 am

tidester, host
  • kronykrony Posts: 110
    Here's my idea: "At what point do you dump a used car?" There are some forums that touch on this but none address it head on.

My take is if the major mechanicals are ok I figure it's always worth putting tires, brake pads & rotors and other "consumables" on a vehicle. Even a clutch I could put justify for a manual trans. My most recent trade in 2004 I got rid of a '93 Buick with 140K. Could have ran it longer but the rocker panels were beginning to rust bad and other things (brake master replaced, slow leak on intake manifold, etc) were beginning to go wrong.

If you fall in the "run it forever" camp, what's your definition of forever? (Mine is until it costs more than $750)
  • If you fall in the "run it forever" camp, what's your definition of forever? (Mine is until it costs more than $750)

When the car becomes unsafe to operate, it is time to get a new one.

When a engine or a transmission fails, that is a good time to make a move.

Repairs of $750 really don't bother me all that much ... if the problem REMAINS fixed. If I have a good mechanic, I generally get the car fixed. If I am between mechanics, I *might* dump the vehicle.

Personally, I would prefer to have a 5% chance of a $750 repair occuring in a month than a 100% chance of having a $400 car payment.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,042
    How about To fix or trade up, that is the question?

(It's almost as if we saw your question coming :))

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• kronykrony Posts: 110
    I think that'll work.

In particular I'm curious when folks 'plan' to let a car go. I know that's sometimes a tough call given the history of the car and issues you're having with it. (Asuming not everyone gets rid of a car because it has problems. :) )
  • herc76herc76 Posts: 52
    I was looking at a 04 Navigator that I had saw on-line from a local dealership. The Navi has 26,960 miles and they are asking for $26,995.Do you think it's better to deal with the internet department rather dealing with the saleperson on the floor? I was told you will get better deal by going through the internet department.
    Hi,
    Try our discussion called Internet vs. Traditional Car Buying.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I read through a lot of forum, but didn't find any answer. I just wonder that do we need to pay for window etch if we buy a used car at used car dealer? I don't think we need to since the first person who buy a car already pay for it.
    Try Add-ons and dealer extras: are they worth it? where you're likely to get a response.

• extech2extech2 Posts: 120
    How about starting a discussion with the title: "Dumb Shoppers". I will offer the first one. Many-many years ago I bought a 2-year old Accord for my wife. She doesn't know much about cars, every time we get something new it takes her a year or two until she figures out how to change radio stations or how to use the A/C. Anyway, about 3 years later, just before Christmas, I put four new Michelins on her Accord. Then I told her, "Honey, guess what I got for you as the best Christmas present, ever - I'm giving you four new tires for you car!" (She got more than that, mind you, I'm not completely suicidal yet). My wife sincerely thanked me for the beautiful gift, then added, "Honey, I thought the car already had tires when you bought it."
    IIRC, Reader's Digest (do they still publish that?) used to have a section called "Humor in Uniform." Perhaps we could adapt the idea to something like "Humor in Car Shopping" or "Automotive Humor?"

tidester, host
    We have Bad Purchasing Decisions, but I kinda like tidester's idea of an auto humor discussion... hm.

• Hi everyone!
    I just sold my old 97 Town and country and I need to make a decision on what car should I buy :confuse:
    I'm 26 yeras old and have a 4 year old daughter, we live in NY :) I use the car to drop my husband to work and to take my daughter to school. I also do some shopping and regular stuff ;) I love suvs but as we are on a bubget we want to spend 17K tops, besides we want to save gas too, so we were looking into the small economic vehicles :shades: The ones we liked so far are the Nissan Versa and the Dodge caliber. Any suggestions anyone? Which one is better?
    Besides we are thinking of financing...should we lease an inexpensive car?
    Thanks in advance for taking the time and helping me out in this dilema...
  • Hmh Maybe a Mazda 5???

A left over or used 2006 should be close to your price range and it is a very nice little miniVAN.

Also try.....

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0e173c/121
    You may want to look at the existing Please help me decide between... or, as British_Rover suggested, What's the best vehicle for my needs?.

tidester, host
  • I see that there is a topic for documentation fees...how about one for arbitration agreements? I did all my research before recently buying my car, but that is one thing that slipped by me. I was presented with one during the final paperwork, and it raised some concern but I signed it. I've read in some places you should NEVER sign on and in others that it is practically standard in certain states. I am in Florida and so far have been unable to find out if it is a common practice here or if the dealer was trying to pull something. They were very, very upfront about everything else, gave us an excellent price, and dealt with us professionally and fairly. I'd love to learn more about arbitration agreements and if they should always be refused or, if now, where you are likely to stuck with them.
    Thanks for the suggestion! We're always looking for interesting new discussions.
    Arbitation Agreements - What Do They Mean?

• Years ago I used a search engine on the Edmunds site to choose a car. By specifying horsepower, transmission, other option sI was able to determine that the Maxima was the best car for me. Later on I used the same search engine to isolate my pathfinder from other SUVs.

Anyone know if a search engine like this -- one that lets you specify equipment, HP, price, etc -- still exists?

thanks