Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Honda Ridgeline SUT

Comments

• tcasboytcasboy Posts: 214
    roaddog: You really had me worried with the start of your post! Glad to read on and figure out you were talking about driving on ice I guess. Phew!

Quote: "I have some low traction action under my belt now. Here's my comments".

TB
  • geo9geo9 Posts: 739
    CHUCKLE !!!!!!!!!
  • ergoergo Posts: 56
    Payload does not rival...

Honda's literature states (follow the asterisks) 500lbs. of its "half-ton" MUST BE IN THE CAB! :(

That's a requirement no other "truck" requires. ;)

:mad:
  • I think we need a new forum topic focusing on the psychological aspects of full size truck owners and their seemingly endless need to rip on the Ridgeline. Head shrinkers feel free to weigh in. There has got to be something going on here that doesn't meet the eye.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,788
    Head shrinkers feel free to weigh in. There has got to be something going on here that doesn't meet the eye.

It's called "domestic disease," and it's usually terminal. Symptoms are delusions of supremacy, followed by endless ranting. This sickness is a close relative of "mine is bigger than yours disease," which is also usually terminal.

The only known cure is buying a "foreign" brand, but for best results, buy something Japanese.

Bob
  • geo9geo9 Posts: 739
    And also don't mention ANY negative posts about the
    ridgelines strut problems that occured in Edmunds
    test vehicle (blew out ALL 4) or other strut
    problems posted at the "other" ridgelineownersclub forum..........

Some of you folks just have to stop posting negative
    untruths too................... :P

"Good luck on this one now"
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    ...as much as anyone, keep the personal attacks and derogatory comments to yourself.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • bobwhobobwho Posts: 24
    Thank you, Kcram. I hope we can all settle down and agree to disagree. For all the Ridgeline owners, we like/love the vehicle we purchased for it's function, ride, and safety. Those that have a domestic vehicle bought for similar reasons. No one is going to win as everyone has their own opinion be it good or bad based on their personal experience. Every vehicle has their problems, so if you can't bring up something to help or inform other owners of problems or personal experiences, than you are no help to me or anyone else. I come here to this forum to be informed, not hear a bunch of junk. I don't need to troll around and make comments on other vehicle forums. Why should I since I do not drive/own/had owned that vehicle. This on going battle of my truck is better than your truck is one reason I left for awhile. So lets just all agree that their present vehicle is ok/better/worst, than YOURS!!!!
  • There is fine print that instantly subtracts 500 lbs from the payload that can go in the bed hidden in the literature somewhere?

That basically means to me that a Ridgeline can still haul the weight stated, but not as much over the rear axle. I wonder if that's got anything to do with the IRS?
  • uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    Rob, you make some good points; and, I've tried to be civil. To some of your points, though: The constant barrage of "Your vehicle stinks and only Hondas are good" is the only tactic Honda owners use in other threads here in Town Hall. Just read any thread involving a Honda (especially the Civic) versus another brand (especially if the other brand is Korean). It's not much fun when your vehicle of choice is being attacked for no real reason and you feel the need to defend your vehicle even though it has not really done anything wrong.

As to when you said: "You effectively did come out and say "ridge owners do nothing but plant flowers and lay mulch" in a Ridge discussion"--I did not say that. If you read back through this thread, you will see that it was RL advocates who said that Honda was not marketing the RL to users who have heavy duty uses or in the construction field. It is marketed for Joe Homeowner and they have lower hauling needs.

One last thing here, to the guy who actually owns a Ridgeline and thinks the looks of disgust from American truck owners is a look of defeat knowing that Honda has built a better truck and now American trucks are all dinosaurs: If you have to think that to feel okay about your truck, then go ahead. I can assure you that you are mistaken, however.
  • uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    "Symptoms are delusions of supremacy, followed by endless ranting."

Thank goodness this NEVER happens to Honda owners, right?

"The only known cure is buying a "foreign" brand, but for best results, buy something Japanese"

I love it when the argument is "You should buy an American car" the response is "My Honda was built in Ohio (or Alabama or whatever state) by Americans and is more American than your Chevy (or Ford or whatever) that was built in Canada (or Mexico or wherever)." But, when you want to play the "perceived quality" card, then your Honda is Japanese. Isn't the Ridgeline just as American as my F-150 that was built in Kansas City?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,967
    ah, but i'm sure neither you nor I are involved in those other discussions, so what they do there should not influence what happens here. And, of course, there are the colloquialisms involved like "if everyone jumped off a bridge, would you?" and "why stoop to their level?"

Lower hauling needs does not necessarily amount to mulch and plants, by the way. I used my pilot to move furniture many times, I strapped a whirlpool tub to the roof, a california king mattress and box springs, and NUMEROUS trips to the dump with various appliances, etc. With a Ridge, I'm sure I could have managed those items I had to call in my father and his GMC pickup for (always restricted by the roof on the Pilot). Honestly, towing aside, I'm not sure what owners of domestic pickups are hauling that the Ridge can't. If you aren't towing or plowing, the only advantage I see in the full-size domestics is the actual volume of the bed ... so maybe those can carry 150 cases of beer, while the ridge can carry a measly 120 ... or something like that.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

Oh, I know, but that "Head shrinkers" lead-in was just too tempting to pass on... :)

Bob
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Then why does the Chevy literature state that you must reduce payload expectations if you add passengers, gear, and accessories? Are Chevy passengers required to ride in the bed?

The Ridgeline's exact figures are 1,100 lbs in the bed, with 1,550 for the total payload. Since Ford and Chevy have not made any distinction in their web specs, we've had to work with total payload.
    I would find your claim about "not bashing Honda" a good deal more credible if you were in the SportTrac, Colorado, and Canyon forums complaining about lack of towing, payload, and off-road ability. But it really does seem that you've singled out the Ridgeline.

I believe a contrarian point of view is important. However, there's a difference between being critical and being negative. You need to recognize that your own posts are just as inflammatory as the responses you've earned.
    It's funny that the midsize SportTrac, Colorado, Durango and Canyon are rarely if ever mentioned in terms of comparing with the (midsize) Ridgeline. All the critics want to compare it with are fullsize trucks.

The Tacoma and Frontier are mentioned from time to time, but never the domestic midsize pickups.

Bob
    Well, in all fairness, the Ridgeline's loaded-only pricing scheme does put it in the same tax bracket as big trucks. It's just that they don't offer the same level of sophistication at that price.

The market for loaded mid-size trucks is pretty small. So, the Ridgeline really is something of a tweener.

And I think we all know the domestic competitors simply are not competitive. Unless we're talking rental sales.
  • I'm not sure I agree. I have looked at the Ridgline RT model and figure I can get one for just under $25k. I have also lloked extensively at Tacomas. To get a Tacoma with 4 wheel drive, double cab, a tow package, auto transmission and side air bags, will virtually always put you in very near $30k, with the way Toyota does its packaging. Also, at least here in Southern California, Tacomas set up like this with side air bags are few and far between. And you will typically not get a great deal on one. Also, to get a full size truck set up like this, you are looking at low to mid $30's, IF you can even get side airbags. So, all in all, with the price discounts Honda has offered, I actually think the Ridgeline is priced pretty well.
    well, yes, this is true about the options, varmint ... but, realistically how many buyers these days DON'T want power windows and locks and things like that.

Interestingly enough, I was just comparing the Frontier to the Ridge. A 4-door Frontier SE with automatic and power package has an invoice of $24,705, compared to the Ridge RT's invoice of $25,477. That's mightly close. Thing is, the difference between Honda's invoice and MSRP is greater, so the Ridge LOOKS to be almost $2K more ... but since most vehicles sell near invoice, the street prices put these 2 vehicles VERY close together. And, actually, if not for the current $1k rebate on the Nissan, the TMVs of the 2 are only ~$450 apart.

And, to throw this out there ... the cheapest 4wd Avalanche has a TMV of $34,325. With the $4k rebate, that brings it to $30,325. Wow! That's just not even close to the Ridge's entry price or that Frontier example from above.

I just went and searched all Frontier discussions and the only mention of Avalanche was in reference to the color Nissan offers by that same name. Hmmmmm.... why is that? Is it just that the Ridge stirs up some kind of resentment in the loins of the domestic fans? Why the selective bias?

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

• once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    Bob, the new SportTrac will change things a bit.

AWD,IRS,handling and safety distinguish the Ridge from all others, and the SportTrac will be the only direct competitor.

John
  • I laugh at them, as i laugh at you. enjoy your vehicle with 10 year old technology. I used to be a buy only american guy, but I learned my lesson.. maybe you will to one day..

dont hate what you dont understand...
    Oh, I'm not saying the Ridgeline isn't competitively priced. It's just... because there is no stripped base model, the only price seen by the public is for a truck which has considerably more equipment than the rest.

The Frontier and Tacoma both cost just as much when loaded up with the same hardware. However, at that point, they too are sneaking into full-size truck territory. Because they offer base models, they don't attract the same attention.
    For reference... Wooddorker posted some info back in November regarding sales of the Tacoma. Note that 60% of the Tacomas sold were 2wd. The niche for high-priced mid-size trucks just isn't that big.

OTOH, the number of 4X4 Tacomas sold was not that much higher than the number of Ridgeline's sold that month. And I'm sure many of the Tacomas were equipped with fewer options than the Ridgeline. This suggests the Ridgeline is doing just fine within that small niche.
    For reference... Wooddorker posted some info back in November regarding sales of the Tacoma. Note that 60% of the Tacomas sold were 2wd. The niche for high-priced mid-size trucks just isn't that big.

OTOH, the number of 4X4 Tacomas sold was not that much higher than the number of Ridgeline's sold that month. And I'm sure many of the Tacomas were equipped with fewer options than the Ridgeline. This suggests the Ridgeline is doing just fine within that small niche.
    The niche for high-priced mid-size trucks just isn't that big.

Absolutely. And Honda knew this, obviously, since they've gotten very close to their projected sales.

The Tacoma stands in a special position itself, being the ONLY import truck in the under $15k category. I know alot of people who look to the entry Tacoma when shopping for a cheap new car. Slotted right in there with the likes of the Neon, Ion, and what have you. That's not meant to be derogatory, by the way, before anyone jumps on me for calling the Tacoma an economy car ... i'm just stating my experience with some shopping friends and family. Not to mention all those purchased for small delivery businesses, etc.

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    To those of you talking about comparing the Frontier, Tacoma, Ridgleine, and other midsizers, a new forum is underway comparing 6 midsizers including those mentioned, as well as the GM twins and the Dodge Dakota (once was a 'tweener itself!). It can be found on the forum pages of any of the trucks mentioned in this particular post.

thegrad
    Not only that, but it will have a V8 option too. So I agree, the all-new SportTrac will give it a run for its money. Having said that, I suspect, if you examine both vehicles closely, the RL will likely win out. Of course, that will depend on where your priorities lie.

Bob
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Posts: 408
    But, when you want to play the "perceived quality" card, then your Honda is Japanese. Isn't the Ridgeline just as American as my F-150 that was built in Kansas City?

The Accords and Camrys built in America are supervised by the Japanese. That's quite a big difference over the Cars built in America supervised by Americans. Painful but true.

The Ridgeline is built in Canada not the US.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    I agree, the RL probably wins out over the new Ford SportTrac, unless Ford really comes in with a low price tag.

However, neither gets my $ until there is a diesel in it. That said, my guess is Ford is further along than Honda.

John
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    Did you see where the Nissan Titan is planning a diesel? Hopefully with the new clean diesel standards next year, most truck automakers will add a diesel option. For a truck's purpose, a diesel makes perfect sense to me also.