Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• wave54wave54 Posts: 211
    The water pump leaking and destroying the timing belt was a problem on the Daewoo Lanos with the same 1.6L engine before the Aveo.

Mechanics have told me that the water pump should be replaced every other timing belt change, whether it's bad or not.
  • andy_handy_h Posts: 49
    Just buy some more tires......

Right, these wonderful Kumho tires are inexpensive, I can buy many.
    Flaaveo,

You broke your hatch handle three times! You should definitely be ashamed of yourself. Man, you are full of problems. You asked, I answered: I have no problem with my Aveo hatch, zero, zip, nothing…

Breaking baby Aveo’s finger is not babying your Aveo.

Andy
  • Karen_SKaren_S Posts: 5,095
    ...making personal assumptions about other members, or telling others how they can or cannot participate here.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Edmunds Manager UGC Click on my screen name to send a personal message. Need help navigating? Check out Getting Started in Edmunds Forums.
    Need help picking out a make/model, finding inventory, or advice on pricing? Talk to an Edmunds Car Shopping Advisor

• Kuhmo tire problems, not me, I have an Aveo LS Hatchback 2006
    with the standard 14" wheels it now has 4800 miles on it
    and the tires are not worn.
    Maybe you have a front end problem, caster, camber, toe in or out, get em balanced, one of the above will take care of your problem. Or maybe you have a lemon..
  • Seems like a lot of people are having the same issues with the suspension as I am. I thought I was the only one. My 04 Aveo started having the problem about 17k miles and everytime I go over a speed bum or make a slow turn the front and rear suspension sounds like a sofa from the 70's. Lots of creaks and groans.

I took it to the local Chevy delaer here in Cerritos and had a terrible experience. The service advisor said it was caused due to an accident (I've owned the car since new and it has never been in an accident) and I asked to see the damage and he refused. He just wanted me out of there. Somehow I feel as though GM, or at least this particular Chevy dealer, doesn't care about Aveo owners. I wrote a courteous, but also disgruntled, letter to GM to complain about the problem and the poor service.

Too bad, because I love the rest of the car and it has served me very well so far.
    Mine started at the same mileage and has gotten worse -- not just occasional anymore. The rear suspension sounds like ripping canvas on any bump or turn at slower speeds with the colder weather.

Many complaints from other 04 owners with no real fix from Chevy but a TSB to lubricate the lower control arm bushings (doesn't help).

My catalytic converter bit the dust last week, sending metal debris into the muffler and shutting down the engine. Had no warning of any problem until the engine stumbled and the check engine light came on -- was running fine until then.

My mechanic hooked the engine up to a computer and found no problems that would cause this failure, such as a bad cylinder or a rich fuel mixture.

Bad news: replacement converter and muffler cost $1085 -- no other parts available except from GM! By the time all was said and done with car rental, repair costs and a lost day of work, this breakdown cost about $1700!

Ridiculous prices for an "economy car". With a quick Google search, I could find the same parts for less than half for Lexus and Mercedes or 1/4 the price for a Kia. What's up with this???
    You are right that Chevrolet dealers are [non-permissible content removed]Joles. A long time ago, I brought my brand new Aveo to a dealer just to check it out. The dealers did not even say “Hi.” When I talked to the dealer, he wanted to charge me 100 bucks just to check it out. [non-permissible content removed]Jole Chevrolet dealer people. Never had a problem with my Aveo, and hope never to see a Chevrolet dealer.
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Posts: 487
    How many miles are on the car? Less than 80K? If so you do not have to pay for the catalytic converter or any damage it caused from failure because of the Federal law on certain emissions components.

Funny how many dealers will double bill for the same work: warranty to GM and still charge the customer.
  • That sounds terrible about your catalytic converter. The prior post was right in that there is an extended warranty of sorts of emission control systems.

The creaking is driving me up the wall. It's so embarrasing with passengers on board and some have asked what the noise is. This is still a new car in my eyes and shouldn't be making these noises. I worry that if I ever sell it that it would turn a buyer off. I love the car a lot and am hoping to keep it for many years, but this doesn't make me feel confident. Obviously if the suspension is popping and cracking there's something not held on properly or designed correctly. I've owned many cars, old and new, and have never had this problem. By the time the car reaches 100k miles, what condition will it be in?

It reminds me of a '95 Ford Aspire I had in college and once it got to 50k miles, everything mechanical and cosmetic either fell apart, fell off, or gave up. I just dread this car doing the same thing.
    How many miles are on the car? Less than 80K?

It failed at 111K miles, which is still way too soon considering the car was running fine up until then. I've never replaced one before, even with 300K miles.

The fact that I had a breakdown is less upsetting than the super-high parts prices -- $732 for the converter and $353 for a muffler. I searched online before giving the okay for the repair and could find NO cheaper alternatives. Many models have a direct-fit converter for under $200 or a universal part that can be adapted for $50
    111K is almost in the middle of the average life for a catalytic converter. I have yet to have but one catalytic converter go past the expected life of 100K to 150K miles. They always seem to fail emissions testing sometime before the 150K mark. This always seemed early to me because the cars were always kept up with at least the normal duty maintenance at the dealer since new. According to the fact sheet at the emissions test site, most oxygen sensors and catalytic converters need replacing sometime between 100K and 150K.

You think those prices were high, I had the same problem with my 2003 Toyota last year at 130K miles. Catalytic converter and mid pipe assembly were $1100 and the muffler and rear pipe were $280. I feel your pain on the apparent high prices.

Because the EPA mandates that the exhaust system cannot be modified (in areas that the EPA requires emissions testing) until the car reaches 8 years or 80K miles, very few after market supplier will have enough demand to supply the catalytic converter until the car is nearly 8 model years old.
    very few after market supplier will have enough demand to supply the catalytic converter until the car is nearly 8 model years old.

I guess a lot depends on the model -- with a quick Google search, I could find original replacement catalytic converters for a 2004 Impala for $161, Neon - $191, Focus - $270, Civic - $294, etc.

I work in the delivery business where high mileage is the norm, and vehicles from small cars to vans rack up 200-400K miles. I've never heard of a similar failure that completely stopped the vehicle and required a tow.

Sounds like your state's emissions testing is quite severe - - I've always passed with little difficulty on much higher mileage vehicles. Even with a "fail", you're only required to spend a minimal amount to satisfy the law.
    It is not a matter of the year of the car but a matter of how long and how many of the cars have used the same catalytic converter. All of those models you mentioned are essentially the same models that have been out for years using the same catalytic converter. The Neon has been available since 1998, the Focus since 2000, Civic since 1996 with a minor model update in 2000, GM uses the same basic parts across many different lines and models for years.

Unfortunately Daewoo did not sell a lot of cars in the US when they tried. Chevy has sold a large number of Aveos so it is only a matter of time before the aftermarket starts to offer the parts. I had to wait until 2003 for a 1996 Chevy Metro Sedan for the aftermarket to have the Catalytic converter and muffler available. I am guessing that Aveo parts will start going aftermarket in about 3-4 more years. By them yours will be out to pasture given the miles that are being pounded out on it.

Did you try calling places like Midas to get an estimate for the work from them to see if they can get parts from one of their suppliers?

It is not the State in most cases that determines the emissions testing levels, but the EPA mandates to the Cities.
    Did you try calling places like Midas to get an estimate for the work from them to see if they can get parts from one of their suppliers?

Haven't had any luck with the chain operations like Firestone or Monro for struts, shocks, etc.

Seems the only source right now is GM -- had the work done at an independent shop. Parts came in fairly quickly -- ordered Fri. and came in on Mon.
  • I have a 06 aveo with 27k miles. I bought it new and have the 30k warranty. When I drive my car 5 or 10 plus miles I start to hear a knocking noise and I'm not sure it's coming from the engine or what. I have taken care of the car and I'm getting concerned. Once I turn the car off after hearing the noise and then start it a minute later, the noise is not there.
    I would appreciate any suggestions..... thanks
    You need to better locate the sound so you can describe it to the dealer. When the knocking starts, is it just while moving or does it make that sound standing still? Does it get worse or better as you accelerate?

When it starts, pull over and open the hood and listen to the engine.

If at all possible, while the knock occurs, leave the car running and take it to a dealer immediately to have it checked. If not, the mechanic may not be able to duplicate the noise.

P.S. The warranty is 3 yrs/36K bumper-to-bumper and 5 yrs/60K for powertrain.
  • Hi all,

I have a problem to report: My 2006 SVM blew the computer (brain) today because of the cold weather. The service manager said that this is currently happening across Canada and the US. He best guess is several weeks because it is on back order. Chevy is paying the rental car bill, but they gave me a Suburban. Take about a mileage issue....

Ron
  • pbolpbol Posts: 15
    Hi can you let me know what the dealer did for you on this problem of no starting and the freezing of the the throttle body /pcv valve problems.Thanks
    Hi i have the same issues,My computer went on mine to, 2006 hatch,I had a hard time with starting problems,It would start and then die,The engine light would come on and stay on,The new computer has just been replaced so will see what happens.
  • Today I left my home and the trany light and hold light were both flashing. the car wouldn't shift either. Also when the lights went out there was a loud cracking noise somewhere in the car and I immediately had HOT air blowing. the hottest air ever to heat up that car in less then 10 minutes. I immediately drove to the dealer ship and now have a rental car until they can look at it. Anyone have any ideas?
  • GOT A CALL FROM DEALERSHIP TODAY AND THEY INFORMED ME THAT I WON;T GET MY CAR BACK UNTIL MONDAY NIGHT OR TUESDAY. IT IS FRIDAY. SOMETHING ABOUT THE CATALITIC CONVERTER, MUFFLER AND CYLINDERS BEING BAD. THE GUY FROM THE DEALERSHIP TOLD ME THAT THEY HAD A BULLETIN TO WATCH FOR THESE PROBLEMS.(WHICH I FIND INTERESTING) NO ONE EVER INFORMED ME UNTIL I BROUGHT IT IN WITH THE NEW ISSUES. WELL ATLEAST I AM STILL UNDER WARRANTY ALSO HAVE LESS THEN 11400 MILES ON THE CAR AND ITS AN 05 HATCHBACK.
  • OK all heres the skinny. the last post is an error on my part and big misunderstanding. They are replacing the intake valves and exhaust valves on my 05 aveo. just thought I'd clear it up.
  • Well the 3-6 monthes took 5 days. I filled up the car, and so far the mileage is back to where it should be around 38. No issues with the GM service so far.

Ron
    Were you getting bad gas milage ,Hows the new computer alright in the cold weather ?
  • I couldn't help but notice all the talk about Aveo tires wearing out at 3000 miles and just wanted to give my 2 cents worth. I have a 2005 Aveo LS hatchback with 20,000 mi. and the ORIGIONAL tires. Haven't had any problems with them either. :)
  • You might remember me from awhile ago. I fixed my creaking suspension problems,, it took 6-7 trips to the dealership, my car has been in the shop for a total of 30 days spread across several months, After multiple bumbling attempts to adjust this and that they finally replaced both lower control arms on both the left and front side. Walah all creaking gone, I put on new tires to boot.

One little problem remains, after they did this there suddenly appeared a rattling noise out of what seems to me to be the center right of the suspension area at all speeds from 8 mph up to high speeds. Even on brand new paved roads you can hear the rattling. Its the same kind of rattling you here when you hit a bump harshly on any old worn out car,, except on this one this is a new car now only 35,968 miles on it.

Im happy that they finally got all the squeeking and popping fixed but Im taking in again to see if they can address this final item.. If i had to guess they are going to have to replace the upper control arms also, if there are any upper control arms on this vehicle.

So in short this has been an experience from hell, eaten up massive personal time, and pissed the hell out of me. They requested from GM and are going to honor a extended service and warranty contract on the front suspension as a nicety. And so far all of these trips has been covered under the existing 36,000 mile standard warranty.

They also due to the extension will cover this final fix on the remaing rattling noise. I really think when they finish they just might have replaced the ENTIRE front suspension through various fixes.

Before they did the control arms they were in their doing bushings and many other little items. All to no avail..

LISTEN UP PEEPS,, youve got to push them or else you will exit your warranty with a piece of garbage. Even if you exit your warranty you shoul consider an attorney because the suspension components or design of the suspension is way below spec of what one would expect from the cheapest of the small compact market. Get a lawyer if you need one,, cause I can assure you that my car is probably 1 in a 1000 that this is going on with.

Besides for all i know they replaced my suspension components with a set of components that will also fall apart again in another 10k miles.

There is no way that a multibillion dollar company can expect a person to lay down hard earn dollars for a product that is defective and not have to either recall the car,, fix the car, compensate the consumer or just plain out cancel the loan and take the car back
  • As a matter of fact this suspension problem might just be widespread enough and the basis for a class action lawsuit if GM doesnt just come out and say ,, Houston we have a problem. The problem is that GM has tried to ignore this and get people out of their warranty periods.

Hear that!? GM........ CLASS A C T I O N

I read another message where someone else took their brand new Aveo back to the dealership and the dealership tried to tell them that the control arms were damaged and the car must have had an accident. This is an example of a bogus response and outright affront to a consumer who has never had even a bump in their brand new car. On this note in my particular case Across the period of fixes that I had,, on two occassons I noticed the technicians slipping in similar bogus commentary on work orders trying to explain away the faulty design and suspension components to something unrelated.

Anybody out there who can find a good lawyer, please email me at velvetdawn68@yahoo.com I would love to shove this piece of [non-permissible content removed] back in the face of GM. Maybe GM can sell it back as scrap metal to the south koreans so they can build bomb shelters or something.
  • Hi all,

Well the first full tank after the computer was replaced. The Temp/Weather was about the same before the computer went to lunch. 32.1 right before and now 33.1 after. This is a far cry from the 43 last summer, but I know the thanks to winter blended gas we drop 20%. This software must not like the cold weather. I know the 5% is not a lot but still.

Ron
    As a matter of fact this suspension problem might just be widespread enough and the basis for a class action lawsuit if GM doesnt just come out and say ,, Houston we have a problem.

I agree -- there are numerous complaints on different forums and the customer reviews for the '04 here on Edmund. This IS NOT isolated to just a few.

Worse yet, the noises become almost constant with significant loosening of the suspension and a lot of drifting and wallowing on the road. I've just learned to live with it since I put the miles on so fast, I won't have this car but another year or two before it's dead.

At 115K, there is quite a bit of side-to-side sway even in a light wind (5 to 10 mph) and the car jerks violently with the stronger winds we've had recently (20 to 35 mph). It feels like the body is only vaguely connected to the tires and the road.

The designers got some things right, but the suspension on the early models wasn't one of them. Wouldn't consider a lawsuit unless there were many others involved -- the cost would be greater than the pay-off for the car and GM would tie up any action for years.