Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    Just had mine fixed 05 Maxx LT It was driving me nuts. Keep in mind I live in Canada and seem to have found the worlds best GM dealer for service. They have dealt with all my complaints to my complete satisfaction and then some.
  • jenifertjenifert Member Posts: 6
    What did they do to fix it? I was told that it was made that way. I find it hard to believe if only 1 shakes and I dont see other ones doing it like mine. Do they just replace the entire light? I just got my visors replaced because there was a campaign, windshield replaced because there were air bubbles in it, and now I have to get my driver side wiper replaced because it does not eject fluid. I love my car but its had some little design flaws.
    Don't know what they did, as far as I can tell they are still the same assemblies.
  • mybooomybooo Member Posts: 92
    Just curious if anyone is using an XM Roady 2 in their MAXX, and if so where did you mount it? Mine is just laying across the cup holder that is closet to the console. Thanks for any insight!

Larry :-)
    Had the Maxx in for a few minor warranty issues last week, while waiting for my car I went to parts to get a rear wiper blade for the car. Was told you can't get a blade I have to buy the entire wiper arm. This to me is about as silly as having the space for an air cabin filter but not offering one. It's this kind of thinking,(or lack of it) that may have me thinking import next time around.
  • sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    Did they mean arm, as from the pivot point out? Or the Plastic/metal holder for the rubber blade? I know few people who change out just the rubber part these days. Most stores are stocked with the blade-holder assembly.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    interesting note...just did a google search for wiper blades for the maxx..and couldnt find a replacement for the rear window listed....plenty for left and right front ...but nothing for the back....maybe be right....it could be the way the blade is made...and attached to the arm.....but Im betting you can find a std rubber insert somewhere
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    r-e-l-a-x: I've already replaced my wiper blades. I don't recommend just replacing the rubber insert anymore since they cost just about the same as the wiper blade. Hopefully you were not thinking that you had to replace the entire wiper assembly! Simply go to WalMart and buy the Michelin blade they sell there. It is not difficult to change out. The reason inserts are going out of favor is because manufacturers are puting fixed metal tabs on the ends of the OEM blades, making it nearly impossible to simply slip in and clip a rubber insert into (without bending up the metal tabs on the ends). Wiper blades can be found anywere for our Malibu. Stop wasting money at the dealer
    his issue was the wiper on the rear window for the 05 Maxx....I couldnt find a replacement for it when I did a online search.....curious...just the two front wipers
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    ah, right you are. My apologies meandmymaxx. I went back and re-read your post. I'll shut up now and go stick my head back in the sand!
    Maxx has been running great. I am a bit miffed by local law makers attempting to outlaw people from leaving their cars running in the driveway to warm them up in the winter. What about us smart 'Bu owners who have remote starters who's cars can't be stolen?
    On a side note e2helper: I was just vacationing in Mexico City. Is there any reason why we can't get those outstanding looking Chevy vehicles I saw in Mexico, here? There was a small SUV, a real station wagon, and the Chevy Tornado, half car, half truck bed. All three would suit my style and were very attractive. Any idea where they are built, and why they can't be sold here? Thanks.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Sorry I would only be guessing on where they are built but I am sure you know that GM does have a lot of vehicle manufacturing and engineering in both Mexico and Brazil.

I bet someone knows answer though - and I am sure Google does too ;)
  • andbroandbro Member Posts: 2
    I want replace the Air plastic duct by aluminium pipe or better. Do you know where i can buy a complete kit or invidual parts ?

thanks
  • maxx999maxx999 Member Posts: 1
    I just got an 06 Maxx SS about a month ago and love it. I respect what other folks have said about how zippy their Maxxes are, but the SS rocks. The top end accceleration is really something to experience. As for the ride I haven't found it too bumpy. I live just outside Detroit and our roads have as many frost heaves and potholes as anywhere else.

I looked at both the LTZ and SS and they're not so far apart in price. I bought the SS in part b/c I thought it looked a little cooler and handled a bit better, but most of all b/c I liked the SS seats better.
  • oldvettsoldvetts Member Posts: 1
    I don't like the chrome trim and style of my 04 front bumper cover. No one can tell me if I can replace it with the better looking 06 style. It appears to be the same front end structure. Parts book says the fenders are different but the bumper reinforcement is the same. Anyone know where I can find out? I like the information center. Is there any way to turn out the security light that flashes in the dash ? Thanks jr
  • gdubya2gdubya2 Member Posts: 32
    Anyone know what I should expect to pay the dealer's parts dept. for a cargo net for my 2006 LS?? It didn't come with one and I sorely miss it! Or, if anyone out there has one and is not using it I'd be glad to purchase it from you.
    This is for sedan? I think there are 2 of them, right? Don't know if you will need any fasteners but I think the pair will run around $30
  • gdubya2gdubya2 Member Posts: 32
    Right, this is for the sedan. But I didn't know there were two. My wife's Buick LaCrosse only has the one that attaches just inside the trunk opening.
  • jbtwistjbtwist Member Posts: 1
    Hey Everyone,

I'm seriously looking at the '05 Malibu Maxx LT.

I installed an Aux input converter for my iPod in my Chevy Colorado. It worked incredibly and sounded awesome! I'll never use an FM transmitter to listen to music again!

I'm just curious if the Malibu has an Aux input plug on back of the radio, and if anyone knows who sells/installs this piece of equipment.

Thanks for your help.

-Jason
    no aftermarket that Im aware of...have search several times over the last two years...and requested a kit for K&N as well..but no good so far
  • sciguy85sciguy85 Member Posts: 45
    Yep, (04 Maxx)mine also and it drives me nuts, I could see having bouncing lights if I had a rumbly big block, 64 malibu but it just seems a quality issue. How can GM accept it when others can see it on the road. My other concern is the bulb inside must have a shorter life span and I sure it's not a cheap bulb.
  • forankirkforankirk Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Was wondering if anyone knows how to turn off the MPH light by the speed o, it's on all the time. 2006 maxx lt.

Thanks
  • gator06gator06 Member Posts: 3
    I do not think you can it is telling you that you are speed is being calculated in MPH not k/hr.
    if you look at the controls for the DIC...you can change the MPH to KM/HR there isnt a way to turn it off...
    I have noticed the MPH light too. We have to take my car in because the DVD is not working correctly. My child will be watching it & it will just turn off & the radio comes on. Anyone else have that problem?
    Right - it is a legal thing I think.
  • forankirkforankirk Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all for the help with the MPH light. Didn't I could turn it off but was hoping someone knew how. This site is great and will be using it again I'm sure.
    Where can I buy one at a reasonable price?
  • airmaxxairmaxx Member Posts: 9
    I would like to purchase seat covers for the Maxx. Any recommendations on good seat covers? Thanks in advance.
  • sciguy85sciguy85 Member Posts: 45
    I found a post on the prolems section about this and they had an excellent self fix. There are two bolts on top. Take them out and the headlight just lifts out. (Careful as you can scratch paint, I had a towel to set the light on.) There are two plastic "knobs" on the bottom of the light and on the body 2 metal openings. The openings are to large for the knobs. I wrapped electrical tape around the metal part and put a slit in it. (There is also a small one on the side of the fender and I did the same.) I carefully forced the knobs in and put the bolts in and it's much better. I will keep my eye open for a more permanent solution as I walk through Home Depot some day. If you just look at it you may come up with something better.
  • emc6emc6 Member Posts: 1
    Well, I have the same problem on shaking headlight, I communicated with GM and they came back and told me that it is pretty normal, or that is how it is engineered! It is a very poor design! I wonder, if several other folks are having this same issue and if combined we all can get some leverage to have this problem fixed. I have only 23,000 miles on the vehicle and already had to get both the turning indicatior lamps replaced, one at 19,000 miles and other at 22,000 miles. My vehicle is under warranty and they will not fix/resolve the issue of shaking headlights!!
    dont think there is enough our cry to fix the wiggling headlamp problem...I had to have the turn signal replaced as well but it was a socket problem not related to the headlamp assembly...you best bet is the self fix solution above.....almost 67K on my 04 Maxx..and still going strong
  • kiltmankiltman Member Posts: 67
    Mexico has alot of different cars than we do. It is suprising that we can't get some of them...the Nissan X-Trail is pretty cool. All of them are made down in Mexico or further in South America. But it is funny though, the leather seats in my 05 LT Maxx started in Italy, cut in Mexico and put together in Kansas City.
  • vac2vac2 Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyway to remove the speed govener on a 99 malibu, at the local track it slows down auto at 106mph, I guess what im looking for ais a performace chip to remove this? If so can someone provide a link to a good one?

Thanks!
  • williams8888williams8888 Member Posts: 10
    I have a rear seat audio non DVD system. When I try to see what the radio station is I can only see red lines, is this normal?

Thanks
    The 2005 model rear seat only non-DVD unit doesn't have a display in the rear - that is the Infra-red transmitter you are looking at (which I think is kind of red) :)
  • maxxolivermaxxoliver Member Posts: 78
    As far as I know there is no display even on the DVD systems. We had it checked out in our 04 because we could not find out what station the radio is on. They told us there is no display you just guess as to what station you are listening to.
  • williams8888williams8888 Member Posts: 10
    maxxoliver and e2helper,

Thanks so much for the information. I was going to take it in thinking something was wrong with it. :blush:
  • graycegrayce Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchased a 2005 Malibu LS, that was a rental car in a previous life... while the interior is pretty clean, I have dogs... and the hair just goes right in and the Dyson can't even get it all out.

Anyone find any nice seat covers or have suggestions on what to use to clean the apoulstry?
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    I have two cats and a dog. They never ride in there, but their hair gets everyone. I use a lint roller to get it off the seats, works pretty good. Also works good on cleaning out the cracks on the cushions.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    I got tired of looking at the orange MPH and put an oval piece of black electrical over the plastic cover. When you change to Km is shows out the left side. The dealer said no way to turn it off, legal stuff.
  • imoldfellaimoldfella Member Posts: 15
    I'm going to by an extra set of rims for winter tires (overkill, but it's my daughter). I'm going to go alloy since them seem to last ok around here and she greatly prefers the look.

My choice is $110ish new wheels (Borbet CA) from tirerack or $150ish refurbished factory alloy rims from a wheel dealer. Is one higher quality than the other or are they comparable?

Jim
    Adding to this story.

I decided to try some aftermarket alloys on now (Borbet CA from tirerack) since the LS wheels are not the greatest looking wheels ever. I took it to tirerack's #1 ranked installer in our area. Bleh! now when braking the car shakes like an old dodge pickup. The car goes back today for testing. Can anyone see my mistake here? Are Borbet's hopeless on chevy cars? Is it hopeless to have the wheels installed by anyone but me? Bad luck but in general not a bad idea?
    didnt properly torgue the wheels....or not properly balanced perhaps.....
    Ok, hopefully the final chapter to the saga.

The tire guy said "never saw that before...".

The rear drum brakes had factory star clips that aren't necessary for driving, but the factory (steel) wheels are formed to clear the clips. This all just apparently reduces cost of manufacturing. Once they removed the clips the Borbet wheels fit and worked fine.

So if you have a Malibu LS with drum brakes and you buy aftermarket wheels, make sure you tell the tire guy to remove the star clips before putting on the wheel.

Jim
  • pndoopndoo Member Posts: 1
    my lt visor door broke off i had lights when i open the door when the dealer replaced it they told me after they replaced it there was a recall on visors with lights and replaced it with one without lights
  • popadopolispopadopolis Member Posts: 16
    I belive someone made a BIG mistake right from the start! There is no way Chevrolet is going to replace a lighted vanity mirror with a replacement visor without lights. That is just utterly rediculus. You need to follow up with customer service either at the dealership and/or the 1-800 number in the owners manuel.It MUST be a mistake. Goodluck and don't let them get away with this. Please post back and let us know what happens.
  • coulter1976coulter1976 Member Posts: 1
    I am a fairly recent Malibu owner, and I have a beautiful bronze '02. I am looking to make some mods to the car and was wondering what you all could suggest.
  • jdmcdjdmcd Member Posts: 1
    :) Chevrolet dealership in Fayetteville, NC told me that they had never heard of the shaking headlight problem before. However, they fixed it on my '06 Malibu about 4 months ago. So, don't let anyone tell you that it can't be done! ;)
  • gregseascapergregseascaper Member Posts: 1
    how do you change it though. I cannot get the arm off but can remove the rubber blade. Is it that difficult? I am mechanically inclined but have found this very puzzling. Chevy has made this to difficult.
  • drill_sergentdrill_sergent Member Posts: 2
    Well i recently got this new car; well new to me any way; really great condition, and i am kinda customizing it little by little.

I went out and bought a white insstument cluster plate. and was woundering how i can rip apart the cluster from the dash, install it and put it back in?

i need someone to tell me how to do it, please step by step!

i also heard u need to disconnect the air bag? is this true?
This discussion has been closed.