Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 42,241
    I checked Youtube - nothing. This might be my only chance to be famous!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 57,870
    fintail said:

In a rainy place, a hardtop convertible makes sense - occasional adjustments or repairs of the mechanism are probably easier to live with than cloth top issues in damp weather. I would also prefer it for a DD - I doubt many haul family car-amounts of luggage anyway.

I think "repairs" are more in the frightening category, if/when they occur. Remember when detachable hardtops were the rage, and NOBODY ever used them? So the hardtop convertible was a compromise. But you have a point--this is more of a toy car than a family car.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

Yep, convertibles are toys. They won't see the same miles and hard use as a family car.

I suppose the most worrisome ones would be MB R230 SL, R171 SLK, VW Eos, BMW F30, maybe final run Chrysler Sebring, etc. I know top issues are not unknown on early R230, but aren't universal. I don't know about the rest. I think for detachable hardtops, many just stay on the car. Most R107 SL I see always have the top on, and E36 so-equipped always seem to have it, too.

I think "repairs" are more in the frightening category, if/when they occur. Remember when detachable hardtops were the rage, and NOBODY ever used them? So the hardtop convertible was a compromise. But you have a point--this is more of a toy car than a family car.

3 new Camrys on the road today. I think at least one was a rental.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 25,737
    I must have seen some on the road, but if so, I never even noticed. not a good sign.

2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport (mine), 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's) and 2015 Jetta Sport (daughter's)

I must have seen some on the road, but if so, I never even noticed. not a good sign.

2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport (mine), 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's) and 2015 Jetta Sport (daughter's)

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 21,398
    MB AMG GT in dark gray on the road. First I've seen one of these.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 66,849
    fintail said:

3 new Camrys on the road today. I think at least one was a rental.

Saw a whole truckload headed north on I-75. Of course, I was just north of the Camry factory. B)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Lots of beautiful scenery on the road there no doubt B)

Saw a Titan diesel on the road, not many of those around.
    kyfdx said:

Saw a whole truckload headed north on I-75. Of course, I was just north of the Camry factory. B)

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 11,930
    No Cruze's in the delivery lot at Lordstown.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2014 Ford F-150 FX4
    Saw a dark blue hockey stick 5er in traffic today.
    Volvo XC60. Fantastic seats and interior.

• andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 9,260
    edited October 3
    Spotted a 90's era Camaro joining the ACLA group for a very spirited Highway 33 jaunt. Unfortunately for them, at less than mile marker 10 on the mountain, they ended up about 10' below the road, and about 10' adjacent to the road, and oh yeah, upside down (shiny side down)!

Fortunately for the old man driver (you'd think old men would have more common-sense!), he landed on a bunch of bushes and bushy trees with a bed of soft sand. That soft cushioned landing saved his hide. He was shorter stature, and thin, so he was able to just barely get out of the car though the side window with some help from other drivers.

Lucky only to have some scratches from the broken glass sliding out of the car.

Higher up on the mountain might have been a longer fall than just 10' off the side of the road rolling over. Typical over-correction over-steer issues of that kind of vehicle based on the skid marks. Someone mentioned a Bilstein suspension, but I suspect there's only so much you can do with that chassis that doesn't make it a good selection for canyon carving.

The M3's, 4's, 2's, TTRS, TTS, S4's & S5's, and modern Corvette, and Mustang GT all made it to the end of the day without incident.
    Toy '16 Audi TTS quattro AWD, Commuter '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6 Turbo FWD, Wife's '17 VW Golf All-Track SE 4-Motion AWD
    Ha, why would you think that? :)

Saw another new Camry, this one a higher spec, non-rental.
    andres3 said:

Fortunately for the old man driver (you'd think old men would have more common-sense!)
    The M3's, 4's, 2's, TTRS, TTS, S4's & S5's, and modern Corvette, and Mustang GT all made it to the end of the day without incident.

fintail said:

Ha, why would you think that? :)

Saw another new Camry, this one a higher spec, non-rental.

andres3 said:

Fortunately for the old man driver (you'd think old men would have more common-sense!)

Isn't there an old saying about being "old & wise?"

Maybe he was reliving his youth.

Being that there is no reception for cellphones on that mountain, it was a long time before we realized we had "lost" a third of the group. They were nice enough to stay behind until help arrived.
    Toy '16 Audi TTS quattro AWD, Commuter '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6 Turbo FWD, Wife's '17 VW Golf All-Track SE 4-Motion AWD
    Spotted a new style Tiguan, thought I would see more by now.
    In traffic today: rental new Camry and a VW Atlas.
    I saw an Atlas on the road a few days ago. Nice looking.

I think I might have seen a Kia Stinger today. Looked like a shinier fancier Optima, but seemed larger (it was from a distance).
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 66,849
    Cadenza?

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Nope not a Cadenza, I have seen several of those.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 11,930
    In the parking lot at work, a white Chrysler 200!
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2014 Ford F-150 FX4
    a new Camry out driving around. Not even a rental!

Saw a non-rental Camry too, and a Buick Envision - not new, but quite rare, I see more Lamborghinis on the road. I don't know if I can envision myself in a Chinese-made GM CUV B)
  • berriberri Posts: 7,874
    Envision doesn't seem to get anything better than mediocre reviews.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 22,304
    edited October 17
    Saw my first V90 in the wild. Black on black with black or charcoal or just really dirty wheels.

Good looking vehicle other than those wheels. Seemed to be sagging in the back.

'17 F150 Crew 2.7; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 44-car history and counting!

I just don't like cars that long.

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 22,304
    edited October 17
    i think it is more of an illusion. It is only a foot longer than the XC60 and V60, and, interestingly enough, about an inch shorter than a Caddy CTS and only 2 inches longer than a 2018 Accord.

'17 F150 Crew 2.7; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 44-car history and counting!

Saw another new Tiguan today.
    fintail said:

Saw another new Tiguan today.

Saw a Kia Optima dawdle along holding up traffic until at least 5 cars trailed them on the scenic way home. It wasn't me. I was one of the 5. Idiotic they didn't let people pass.