Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• texasestexases Posts: 8,690
    Given the links to the Cayenne, I'd sure want to compare the two before springing for the extra $$$ Urus.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 47,133
    Stopped by the MB dealer while out and about in the fintail. A couple of interesting things - first, a new S coupe with a white interior and steering wheel. Still a striking design at 5 years old:

And a new style CLS 53 in a matte finish that I thought was a fad that passed. MSRP barely shy of 100K:

Funny thing, I was out looking at the used cars, and a salesman came up to me and chatted, while he was looking for a car in inventory. He remembered what I drove, but I don't recall dealing with him before. Maybe they are waiting for me, yeah, that's right. He also said they can negotiate on lease residuals.

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,474
    fintail said:
    Stopped by the MB dealer while out and about in the fintail. A couple of interesting things - first, a new S coupe with a white interior and steering wheel. Still a striking design at 5 years old: And a new style CLS 53 in a matte finish that I thought was a fad that passed. MSRP barely shy of 100K: Funny thing, I was out looking at the used cars, and a salesman came up to me and chatted, while he was looking for a car in inventory. He remembered what I drove, but I don't recall dealing with him before. Maybe they are waiting for me, yeah, that's right. He also said they can negotiate on lease residuals.
    I'd run away from a salesman who claimed that. Or I'd challenge him to do so. Would depend on how much time I felt like wasting.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

He named the car, he had the info in his head somehow, and I didn't drive there in that car, rather, in the fintail.

Another fun thing there, the receptionist who always seems to be there always remembers my name.
    qbrozen said:

I'd run away from a salesman who claimed that. Or I'd challenge him to do so. Would depend on how much time I felt like wasting.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,307
    A used S Coupe is on my radar. But, it is so large...

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,978
    fintail said:

Stopped by the MB dealer while out and about in the fintail. A couple of interesting things - first, a new S coupe with a white interior and steering wheel. Still a striking design at 5 years old:

And a new style CLS 53 in a matte finish that I thought was a fad that passed. MSRP barely shy of 100K:

Funny thing, I was out looking at the used cars, and a salesman came up to me and chatted, while he was looking for a car in inventory. He remembered what I drove, but I don't recall dealing with him before. Maybe they are waiting for me, yeah, that's right. He also said they can negotiate on lease residuals.

Hmmm, I want that CLS drivetrain in an E-Class sedan. So I’m looking at maybe $85K similarly equipped?

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

I suspect that's about right. It'll base over 70 I think, and you know how options are on these (even my Bluetec has 14K in options, and it isn't a full load). That engine interests me a lot too, maybe it would be fun to have a new I6 to go with my old one.

I have noticed early run S coupes are depreciating almost down to my level. But at that price I start looking at G-wagens too, and that's something maybe better left alone.
    bhill2 said:

Hmmm, I want that CLS drivetrain in an E-Class sedan. So I’m looking at maybe $85K similarly equipped?

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,242
    Aside from the new G-wagons, which are considerably improved, I have to say, having examined an older one closely, that they are about the most ineptly designed vehicle built in the last 25 years--right up there with the Hummer and the Chevy SSR. I would have expected something more than exposed door hinges and glued-on lights for that kind of money. M-B must still be laughing.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

G-wagen (until 2018) is a 1979 design, it was old 25 years ago B)

It's a utility vehicle with a luxury pretense, rather than the other way around.
    Well I'll give it credit for very little pretense then. At least it's for real in the dirt, but my god, what a mess it is for the $$$.

Fortunately M-B really cleaned it up for 2019. Not sure it's still worth the money but at least now you can present yourself as the owner without too much embarrassment at having paid the full MSRP.

The fun thing about the G (especially for MB, as the margins have to be yuuuuge) is that value is exactly 0% of the reason to buy one. The target market doesn't care about it, so MB doesn't have to offer it. I've heard you can't find the new model on lots - all sold. Maybe some discounts to be had on old ones. MBs of all model will generally carry at least a 10% discount from MSRP just by some moderate negotiating.

They don't depreciate insanely fast, either.
    Wellll......I dunno about that. I would grant that the power of advertising and image are considerable in keeping the buyer somewhat deluded, but people with that kind of money aren't stupid. I think they know perfectly well that the G has been a primitive, gutless, clumsy, spartan "image". Perhaps it's the exclusivity and the "look".

edited December 2018
    This is the new Belle Epoque. Plenty of people with that kind of money didn't really do jack for it, and many rich people are stupid, monied via the lucky birth club and the breaks and connections that come with it. Many of the target demographic fall into that category. These things are barely advertised at all - they are a known entity without it.

As it has only officially been offered with a V8 and for some time the base model has been well over 400 hp, I don't know about the gutless - clumsy and spartan are part of that image. It doesn't need to be a roadholder when it will only cruise from a gated mcmansion orchard to a gallery mall or club. It's definitely the look, but I don't think they are exclusive - if you want one, your local dealer will gladly order you one today.
    The older ones were pretty gutless, with 2.4L diesels, or sometimes 2.8L gas. It got better engines in 1990.

edited December 2018
    We never received those through official channels, they were meant for utilitarian work. The first official US model G-Wagen was not until MY 2002, the rest are private imports or Europa cars. Those small engine cars also usually had no power accessories, likely no AC, cloth or vinyl interior, etc. It was not originally designed as a luxury vehicle - that's part of the appeal for some.
    They were incredibly backward all the way up to 2018--for that kind of $$$, you could buy so much more. Benz seemed almost cynical about it, as in "you really want one of these things Americans? OK, here...we'll glue some extra stuff on it, and reverse-engineer some clunky updates...now go away".

Like was mentioned, people who buy these aren't seeking value, aren't being rational. It's a show off splurge. 90% image is what sells it, and will continue to sell it.
    I was reading about this prank where a TV production company bought up some cheap shoes from Payless and reboxed them with a phony "upscale brand name" and sold them to people at outrageous prices---the buyers were totally convinced that the shoes were in fact some kind of hand-made imported artisan shoe.

So yeah, they were buying the box the shoes came in. They had no discernment as to the quality of the object of their desire.

Not sure if those shoes are apples to apples with a G-Wagen. The G is not a cheap product pretending to be expensive. It would be pricey even without bling and leather. It is a high quality old fashioned utility vehicle decked out with fancy bits and a price pumped up to a huge margin.

I suspect it would be easier/less painful to run a G to 150K miles than say a Range Rover of the same price point.
  • berriberri Posts: 9,696
    I actually saw one on the road today. Meh
    The new ones are cleaned up a bit but there are sure a lot better ways to spend your money than on a new car that already looks like an old one.

I still have yet to see a new style G on the road in person. If my local dealer had any, they sold. This will continue to be a cash cow.

Many aspects of value are subjective. Some want that traditional look, it says "I have money to throw away, the amount of taxes I dodge/evade are more than your salary". It is worth it to someone, or MB wouldn't make them :)

edited December 2018
    Doug DeMuro's review on the 2017 AMG version is pretty amusing. He also reviewed the 2019 and he is a bit kinder:

2017 AMG G-Wagon Review

A G65 is indeed pretty wacky. It's all about showing off, and the profit margins have to be huge even if volume is low.
    After going to the store, I just figured out where the MB G Wagon came from: they bred a Jeep and a Brink's truck B)
    Or an Isuzu Trooper with a file cabinet?

I think the G wagon I saw had one of those side opening doors, so maybe a refrigerator instead of a file cabinet. If it was a conventional or hatch door, then a garage.
    G opens from the side, so it is a fridge.

The door handle/latch operation on those is immensely satisfying too, like an old car.
    edited December 2018
    You know, as Wally Cleaver on Leave It To Beaver says, "we're just giving you the business" and "immensely satisfying" has a Madman 50's advertising sound as well :D
    The door action on a G-wagen reminds me of the fintail - a very nice solid click when you close it. Modern cars feel hollow in comparison.