Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• motoentmotoent Posts: 6
    Yeah, same problem abroad. In Germany, it's station wagon central. They had to invent the four-door "coupe"--like the Mercedes CLS or BMW gran coupe--to get people to buy a four-door car with a trunk again, just as long as it's not called a sedan.

Of course, you can combine the two concepts and then you end up with the "shooting brake," which brings me to my spot ...

• fintailfintail Posts: 47,899
    I think trunkback sedans have an old people stigma in some places - I know in Germany, an E sedan is considered a "Rentnertraum" - pensioner's dream. Traditional sedans seem to carry the best lease deals on this side of the pond, anyway.

Wagons have an even worse image in the US, BMW dropped the 5er wagon for NA a decade ago, and E wagons make up a whopping 4% of E sales. I drivee an E wagon, and more than one co-worker gave me a funny look when I told them about it - they all wanted me to get some kind of SUV. No surprise, the ones I even kind of like, I can't afford.

Cool video, makes me want to go back to Germany asap. Lane discipline, such a weird concept.
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 10,903
    Audi won't even bring the RS4 Avant (wagon) to us in the USA :(
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6T
    MB won'y give us a C wagon of any flavor - and the killer is they are sold in Canada.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 2,021
    fintail said:

MB won'y give us a C wagon of any flavor - and the killer is they are sold in Canada.

I was an adolescent during a period when the fashion among young men was pants so tight that going downstairs could ultimately substitute for a vasectomy. It's amazing what people will do or not do in the name of looking good.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• berriberri Posts: 10,047
    A220 is the new Canadian, now Airbus jet Delta just started flying. Even though smaller than a B737, Boeing tried to claim it was unfair competition.
    Gotta keep those sweet GLA/GLC profit margins. I am quite surprised we get the A trunkback sedan.

Canada also gets the E53 wagon. I like the I6, but I am not sold on the sport trim and suspension, I prefer the lux trim on my car.

Got behind a C63S coupe in traffic while in the fintail today. Talk about extremes. Also several new Corollas, all rentals. Lots of festivals etc in this region for the week, so we are loaded up with tourists. Tons of Altima rentals, too.

bhill2 said:

I was an adolescent during a period when the fashion among young men was pants so tight that going downstairs could ultimately substitute for a vasectomy. It's amazing what people will do or not do in the name of looking good.

Had a few minutes to pass today, stopped by MB, Porsche, BMW, and Audi lots (they are all within a couple miles here). MB highlights were a white on white S560 cabrio ($156K), white AMG GT 4 door coupe ($162K),
    unusually lightly equipped S560 coupe that I think was around $130K (not showing up in inventory) and an assortment of usual cars - no wagons on site. Porsche appeared to have received a full day's production of Macan - every color and variety stacked like firewood around the lot, barely room to move. Audi had a similar volume of Q5 to the point where parking was hard to find. BMW had a couple of new M340 sedans in the $60-65K range, a M3 CS for something like $120K, X7 at $110K.
    Saw a goodie at the grocery store today. E400 wagon, 17-18 model. Grey, lux trim like mine, 18" wheels (mine are 19"), but apparent full load otherwise, I could see it had distronic and HUD, and the big deal, a Designo interior. Someone paid up for that baby when new, probably around 90K.
    ...and are still paying for it with the dollars in depreciation B)
    Those who actually buy one can afford it B)

IIRC E wagon buyers have been the wealthiest MB customer demographic for some time. I came along to lower the numbers a little :)
    Personally, I think MB wagons look better than their SUV/CUV companions. The wagon has a sleekness to it.
    I won't disagree. Although I like G-Wagens for what they are, I think the best looking normal MB SUV/CUV is the GLC - and it resembles a lifted C wagon. I am still irked that the hardworking MBA braintrust at MBUSA doesn't offer the C wagon here, but I suppose the profit margins are larger on the bloatlings.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 2,382
    Silver MB EQC while in Amsterdam. The new electric one. GLC sized. Not the prettiest face.

Tesla X Performance / Tesla 3 Performance

• sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 2,803
    On my drive home from picking up my daughter near Atlanta, a very nice black with black vinyl top, tear drop factory alloys with correct whitewalls, a 93 Cadillac Fleetwood fwd. It had N.C. plates and was keeping up with the 75 mph traffic. It was 90 degrees out, ac must have been working, windows were closed and the driver looked relaxed and enjoying the drive.

2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2013 Honda Accord EX, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

On the road today new Mazda 3 super blind spot edition, and at the visitor parking area at work, an E450 cabrio in dark blue on white with a white steering wheel.
  • texasestexases Posts: 8,884
    I was stunned when I saw pics of that Mazda, and not in a good way.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 32,857
    at Lowe's, a Corolla hatch with temp tags. Actually not too bad looking, but I only saw it from the rear and side!

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,665
    Most Toyota’s look ok....until you see the front.

They are “butta-faces”

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra

Maybe the Corolla was a west coast launch, seeing numerous sedans on the road now, lots of rentals. Also saw a hatch model today.
    another new Passport. I like it. Seems that the missing 8" or whatever makes it better proportioned. On the list to look at for the wife.

fintail said:

Maybe the Corolla was a west coast launch, seeing numerous sedans on the road now, lots of rentals. Also saw a hatch model today.

I've seen quite a few over here in NJ, but I do have a Toyota dealer walking distance from my house.

Saw yet another Corolla today, white, zzz. CEO had both his cars in the workplace garage today - Ferrari 458 and new/facelift (Bentley) Continental. Most of the rest of the suits drive far tamer cars, CFO has an MDX and late 90s SL.
    edited July 17
    Our owner drives a Quatroporte (and more commonly an XTS loaner from the dealer group).

President drives a Range Rover

CFO drives an older Audi ‘vert and a mid 2000s (pre beak) Acura TL.

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 2,382
    Pic of that EQC I mentioned earlier, now that Edmunds is pic-friendly again:

Tesla X Performance / Tesla 3 Performance

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,715
    In the parking lot at work a gray GLC AMG 43. If not for the badging, could pass as a more mainstream trim.
    A new silver Fusion. Didn't see which model, but had fog lamps, so probably some version of a Titanium.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,937
    tifighter said:

Pic of that EQC I mentioned earlier, now that Edmunds is pic-friendly again:

Yikes. Toyota grille, Dodge headlights, and massive tristar badge. Its like the worst of the worst meshed together.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

At the beach, with the rich people so many nice cars. Street parked was a gorgeous light metallic blue Ferrari. Something new, a front engine one. And enough newer Porsche’s and range rovers to start a dealership.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,715
    edited July 22
    Yikes! A chrome purple Mercedes AMG G convertible. At least the top was black to tone it down a bit.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
    G cabrio? I think those are all private imports here. They have been made since the start of G production, although examples from the 90s onward were sold for luxury more than utility, and even 90s ones will cost you a pretty penny, you won't get one for under 50K.

I've seen maybe 5 new Corollas in the past day, all but one a rental, one rental had a crooked front plate looking like it could fail at any time - what is it with rental cars and messed up front plates? Maybe aggressive car washes.