Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Need to buy used 7-passenger Diesel/Hybrid SUV for Ecotour Company - under $10,000

2»

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 113,734
    I like that!

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• steverstever Posts: 52,462
    This overview brochure may be of interest (pdf file).

Mercedes-Benz Biodiesel Brochure
  • gagricegagrice Pahrump, NevadaPosts: 31,432
    stever said:

Using Biodiesel can cause problems. When using biodiesel, filters need to be changed frequently as the cleaning properties can loosen up contaminants from fossil diesel use. In this gentleman's case I would get a close working relationship with the biodiesel producer. Talk to people that are using his product. The newer the diesel engine the more likely you will have issues, especially with B100. Around here it is hard to find any biodiesel. Our local electric company uses it.

SDG&E has utilized a B20 blend of biodiesel for several years. The transition to B20 has been seamless and we’ve never encountered a problem when using the high-quality biodiesel products readily available through exceptional local companies such as New Leaf Biofuel. In addition to compliance and emissions benefits, our use of biodiesel supports the Sempra Corporation’s enhanced sustainability initiatives.

http://www.newleafbiofuel.com/
  • carboy21carboy21 Posts: 760
    If your vehicle breaks down while taking tourists, you can kiss your business goodbye and open a school bus company.
  • EcotourOwnerEcotourOwner North CarolinaPosts: 12
    Haha, good tip, thanks.
    I think biodiesel has a good history of powering commercial vehicles. Bio-Beetles in Hawaii has been running 100% biodiesel in their rental fleet of VW TDIs since 2006.

We were told that the new 2009 VWs are not compatable with 100% biodiesl, but they told us the same thing about the 2006s, and we have 13, with virtually NO problems relating to biodiesel. Using biodieslel helps keeps the engine cleaner, thus one must change the fuel filter more often, and if you change to biodiesel from a car that has a lot of miles on regular petroleum diesel, you will have to change the fuel filter a lot as the biodiesel cleans out all the build up from regular diesel, which can be extensive!

https://mauicarrentals.us/biodiesel.htm

http://www.kettlebrand.com/about_us/sustainability/
  • texasestexases Posts: 8,698
    edited February 2016
    "The use of diesel fuels containing a higher percentage of biodiesel, (B6 to B20) according to ASTM D7467 as well as straight biodiesel (B100) according to ASTM D6751 may cause severe damage to your engine and fuel system, and are not approved by Mercedes-Benz."

I'd follow MB's instructions.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,305
    edited February 2016
    gagrice said:

stever said:

Using Biodiesel can cause problems. When using biodiesel, filters need to be changed frequently as the cleaning properties can loosen up contaminants from fossil diesel use. In this gentleman's case I would get a close working relationship with the biodiesel producer. Talk to people that are using his product. The newer the diesel engine the more likely you will have issues, especially with B100. Around here it is hard to find any biodiesel. Our local electric company uses it.

SDG&E has utilized a B20 blend of biodiesel for several years. The transition to B20 has been seamless and we’ve never encountered a problem when using the high-quality biodiesel products readily available through exceptional local companies such as New Leaf Biofuel. In addition to compliance and emissions benefits, our use of biodiesel supports the Sempra Corporation’s enhanced sustainability initiatives.

http://www.newleafbiofuel.com/
    Well they have an interest in posting that, don't they? What about impartial and scientific sources of information?

I realize that Mercedes only specifies BD5 for warranty purposes, and no doubt are being cautious to a fault, but still, Mercedes engineers do know something about diesels.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

Well, damn. After looking at this further, anything over B5 in a Mercedes Benz really can cause problems (looking even beyond the brochure).

...and the car hunt continues!
  • texasestexases Posts: 8,698
    Me, I'd give that MB more consideration, run B5. You really need a business that can provide reliable transportation. Plenty of other ways to work in the 'eco' aspect.
    I am strongly considering that - running B5 and sticking with this MB model. Thank you!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,305
    Some owners claim that they have run B20 in the Mercedes with no problem but I dunno.....

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

The other issue is CHEAP fossil diesel. I don't think you can produce high quality Biodiesel under 2 bucks. It was a short rage when diesel was over $4 a gallon. Not so much anymore. Back to the drawing board to make it from algae.
2»