Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Supposedly, the 2.7 V6 will fit in the engine bay of the current Elantra, but you may need to use the subframe from a V6 Tiburon to do it. Food for thought.
  • sandpapersandpaper Member Posts: 60
    I recall a news article stating that from now on, Hyundai will pursue a design philosophy of 'clean' lines, opposed to be swoopy and sculpted look of the current Sonata/Santa Fe.

The 06 Sonata is supposed to be the benchmark for this design philosophy. If you see the new unveiled photos of the 'TG' (replacement for XG350), you will see that the lines are similar to the Sonata - clean, script, and straight-ish.

Looks like Hyundai finally has a 'design DNA'.

I would expect the Elantra to follow a similar path. Some may consider this conservative while actually its a direction critics have been demanding for years.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes, and based on a photo I saw in Automobile magazine of the '06 Santa Fe, it too will have much cleaner lines, reminicent of the Honda Pilot or Acura MDX. This is due to Hyundai Group's plan to clearly separate the styling of Hyundais and Kias. It is evident in the Tuscon and Sportage. And we can expect the new Elantra to look much different than the Spectra.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Does anybody know wether ABS will be offered as a standard feature all across the 06 Elantra model line? Honda will have ABS standard for the whole 06 Civic model line(DX, LX, and EX.)
  • mononeomononeo Member Posts: 89
    I was at Kendall Hyundai of Eugene today, and the sales manager did confirm that the new Elantra will make its debut this fall.

As for the car itself, the fact that it has dual exhaust doesn't necessarily mean anything. If you go to the Korean Hyundai website, you can see that the new NF Sonata (which has been on sale there for quite some time) has dual exhaust even when it is fitted to the smaller engine (the 162 horsepower I-4). A high power engine isn't required for dual exhaust.

Also, the idea of a more performance-oriented GT model keeps on coming up. Elantras are inexpensive cars, and only having two model ranges (GLS, GT) and one engine are things that keep costs down. Then again, however, Hyundai isn't having trouble selling its cars anymore, and there is potential for them to bring a "racier" Elantra GT to our shores. If the latter of these is the case, I would bet that the supposed engine would not be a turbo or a V6 at all. Hyundai hasn't made use of turbos in the past, and they are unreliable for the most part; both things make me disregard the idea of an Elantra turbo. A V6 would diminish fuel economy, and would move the Elantra too close to the Tiburon, a car that can get away with gas guzzling. Therefore, my idea for if they did actually bring a sportier GT would be that they would use the new 4-cylinder NF Sonata engine. That's the engine with 162 horses, and 164 lb. ft. of torque. This is an engine that wouldn't have any trouble fitting into the engine bay, and wouldn't see the considerable fuel economy and handling damage a V6 would.

Keep in mind that Hyundais cars are much more advanced than they used to be, and they are getting better much faster than anyone thought was possible (think Toyota trying to research their plant, and getting denied by Hyundai, look it up, it's true and on Edmunds somewhere). Also think about the fact that the current Elantra's EPA mileage ratings aren't that high. I bet the new car's base engine (if it has more than one engine) will see significant mileage gains (just as the new Sonata has more power and the same or better mileage, as well as the new TG330 which is the XG replacement). So if you stook that new I-4 from the Sonata into the next Elantra, I would bet on gas mileage ratings similar to the car that is out now. Although this isn't a sure thing, the Scion tC uses the exact same powertrain as a base Camry, but gets significantly worse mileage than the heavier Camry (? weird, I know).

Also, I wonder what everyone's thoughts are on the next generation 5-door. Do you think there will be one at all? It makes sense to keep it, as it is a popular choice just for being different than much of the competition, but I have seen nothing about it yet. Last time around they didn't release the 5-door until a year in, so who knows what will happen. The real question is, though: do you think it will be a wagon ala Spectra5 or hatchback ala current 5-door? Obviously the platform can work with the 5-door configuration, but which makes more sense? I would put my money on another stylish hatchback, so as to further separate the Elantra from the made-to-be-less-prestigious Spectra.

I can't wait to see how this model play out.
    Upon inspection of the HyundaiUSA site, the Sonata 4-cylinder doesn't have dual exhaust. Perhaps the dual exhaust on the Korean site is just a webpage mistake. The Elantra in those pictures does have dual exhaust, however. What that does or doesn't say is ambiguous at this point.

I would say that if they are using the I-4 from the new Sonata as the "plus" engine, it may require dual exhaust in the smaller car. Here's why: the current Elantra has variable induction. In the bigger Sonata with that same I-4 it has fixed ("tuned") induction. Maybe because the car has a smaller air dam or in an effort to get more power out of the engine, they have needed to add dual exhaust and variable induction. Just a thought.
    Also, upon further inspection to the Hyundai USA site I have found that the new Sonata's I-4 gets 24 city and 34 highway (33 w/ auto) fuel economy. This stands to prove my earlier assumption that it would makes sense for them to put that engine into the car because the mileage would not significantly suffer. In fact, these mileage ratings are nearly identical to the current Elantra, which would perhaps that when put in a smaller car like the new Elantra it would get even better mileage. Therefore, there is next to no reason to not use this engine in the Sonata.

Also, a thought is that the next Elantra may ONLY have this engine. Afterall, the current one had a lot more power than the competition standard when it came out, and now the competition is all getting 140 horsepower as their standard engine power figure. If the Elantra had 162, it'd be back in the driver seat it once was in.
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    I agree on most of your points. You will not see a V6 in an Elantra any time soon and probably not ever. They have used turbo in the past, albeit in a Scoupe, so that is not the best example.
    The new 2.0L engine is supposed to get more power than the current Beta engine. I forgot the number I saw once--anybody know? So maybe that would make a good base engine for the new Elantra for the U.S., with the 2.4L engine the upgrade for the GT--so you get more performance in the "GT".
    It might make sense for them to only use the Sonata's 2.4L seeing as how the mileage estimates in the new Sonata are the same as the current Elantra... In a smaller car it would get improved mileage, and the cred from the press for having that much power. The real reason for this post is to point out the fact that many other automakers transplant engines across lines. The best example is BMW. The base 5-series, which is an expensive car has the same engine as a 3-series... There isn't really a loss of prestige there either. Also, even if there was, Hyundai has to think a lot less about prestige than BMW... If they did put the Sonata engine in a more inexpensive car, it would probably make Elantras more "prestigious" than it would diminish base Sonatas. Also, it is my bet that the majority of Sonatas sold will be with V6s, seeing as how this is the first Sonata that will hit the Camry and Accord head on and win for less dough. Afterall, Hyundai says the new V6 will be the price of a 4-cylinder Camry or Accord.
    It is in the pictures that the Elantra has dual exhaust. No one can be sure what that means, but on other Hyundai vehicles, that means a six-cylinder plant. Tucson I-4s don't have dual exhaust, the new Sonata with I-4s doesn't have exhaust. Both of those cars with V6s do. This gives a strong notion that a V6 will be available in the new Elantra.

The Tucson, with the old 2.7L V6 from the Sonata gets 20/26 with FWD. If you put that same engine into the new Elantra, it'd have to achieve better gas mileage. Signficantly better. The Tucson is essentially the Elantra crossover, so it is doable to put this engine in. If there is going to be a V6, this will be it.

We also have to keep in mind that Hyundai is doing this "class-above" roominess thing. The new Sonata is a large car. The Rio (which is the same as the Accent now) has more room than Civic or Corolla nowadays. The Elantra is definitely going to be the largest car in it's class, perhaps a midsize car now. A 2.7L V6 doesn't seem all that improbably in a midsize car, either. With those conditions, the new Elantra could make a better family car as the current Sonata. It'd be about the same size, with more features, and better fuel economy.
    Actually, there is some disagreement that the pictures in Edmunds.com and other sources attributed to the '06 Elantra are actually that car. There is some opinion that it is actually the '06 Optima--which of course would have a V6 available. Time will tell...
  • bikerpabikerpa Member Posts: 68
    The Tucson is essentially the Elantra crossover, so it is doable to put this engine in.
    ---

For what it's worth, the Tiburon is also built on that platform. The Tib, however, has rather more room in the engine bay than the current-gen Elantra does, which is how they managed to cram the 2.7L V6 into it. That same V6 would require major modification to fit into an Elantra.

This is all based on current models, though. The next-gen Elantra might just throw all that out the window.
    I am well aware that the push for a V6 would be a cramp in the current Elantra. The Elantra however, will definitely grow in size. The new Accent and Sonatas have both moved up into the next size class. I would expect this trend to continue into Elantra, and in this situation, a V6 would no longer be such a cramp.

That same former-Sonata V6 (the 2.7L) is in both the Tiburon and the Tucson, which you brought up. It may actually be a situation where it is not expensive to have a V6 in the Elantra, as they'd be using the same exact parts and engineering that went into the Tiburon and Tucson V6 models.
    I really think a more likely scenario is for Hyundai to use the all-new 2.4L I-4 with CVVT and 160 hp as the upmarket engine in the new Elantra. It's likely lighter than the old 2.7L V6 and will have higher fuel economy. And it would be near the top in its class for power, matching the Mazda3s for example. I see Hyundai dropping the new V6 used in the NF Sonata into the next-gen Tiburon, as the old 2.7L V6 just doesn't make it anymore compared to the likes of the Cobalt SS coupe and the new Golf GTI. I also see Hyundai eventually using their new, larger V6 in the Tucson--after the initial market cools for the Tucson, and the Sonata has made a flash with the new engine. They'll probably also replace the old Beta engine in the Tucson with the new 2.4L engine, down the road. They don't want to hand out all their candy at once. ;-)
    While I agree with you for the most part, I think that it may provide some sort of a marketing scheme.

"Come see the 2006 Elantra. With an available V6 and midsize interior accomodations, it's literally a step above the rest."
    Two problems with putting a V6 in an Elantra:

1. Gas prices are not going down. Hyundai has been heavily criticized for their current mileage ratings. The new line of engines are supposed to be about 20% more fuel efficient than the current ones. Taking that into account, I would rather see the 2.4l engine in the elantra GT and the 2.0 in the GLS.

2. Insurance costs will increase with a V6 in the Elantra. Seeing how many Elantra purchasers are younger, this is an extremely important factor to consider. Insurance has killed many vehicles in the past that people had the desire to own. Think Suzuki X-90. People in their early 20's loved it and wanted it. Unfortunately when their insurance payment was twice their car payment, they didn't buy it.
    Well the Tucson and Tiburon, both "youthful" cars both have that same V6 and this doesn't hinder their sales. Especially considering insurance. Also, insurance companies realize the difference between an underpowered V6 and the newer kind of high-output V6s you see in the Accord, Altima, and now the Sonata.

Also, the FWD Tucson gets 20/26 with a V6 and automatic. If you put that into a car weighing less that was significantly more aerodynamic for not being so high off of the ground, seeing 24/30 is not that far off. Maybe even better.

In all likelihood, there may not the a V6 Elantra. I just think that it is possible. Think back to the old Tiburon ads in car magazines that read "You won't say 'Oops! I could have had a V6."

For myself, I would much rather see a 2.4 I-4 in the Elantra. It gets 26/34 with a manual in the new Sonata, so I think we should see at least 28/36 in the new Elantra.

As for your X90 comment. I don't know of anyone that has ever held that car in high regard, or any regard at all, other than a few auto freaks. And they relish at the sight of one so as to make fun of it. It's like what the Aztek is to the SUV/minivan, but for cars like the Miata and pickups. Ew.
  • jimpimmsjimpimms Member Posts: 81
    I agree, the new 2.4L would be a welcome addition to the Elantra line, and especially so in the GT. It would not only elevate the desirability of that trim level, but it would also enhance the "Grand Touring" aspect of the badge. I don't foresee Hyundai offering the Elantra with a V-6 anytime soon, but the larger I-4 could be a distinct possibility, one that would likely not increase insurance rates appreciably. It would also be able to compete favorably, assuming some minor suspension tweaks, with the Mazda 3s.
    The new Elantra will be a '07 model, released no earlier than spring 2006.

Why?

1) No reliable sightings or pictures yet of the new Elantra. If it were coming out this fall, as reported by Edmunds.com and other sites, there would be sightings by now. There have even been undisguised photos of the new Santa Fe printed, and that vehicle isn't due out until late 2005 or early 2006.

2) Hyundai hasn't shown this car in any of the major auto shows. But they have shown off their other new vehicles--Sonata, Accent, and Azera--that are due by the end of 2005. It is possible that Hyundai will do a Honda-esque rollout of the new Elantra, i.e. not say or show anything until the car is ready for production, but that would be unusual for Hyundai.

3) Hyundai has a lot of other new vehicles to bring to market for 2005-6. They've just launched the Tucson, they have a major rollout in the near future with the Sonata, and they've stated that the Accent and Azera will debut this fall (and maybe the new Santa Fe). That doesn't leave many marketing dollars for their best-selling car, and it would dilute public attention for all the new cars if they rolled out the new Elantra this year.

4) Hyundai has shown it is moving increasingly to a 6-year cycle for its cars, based on what they did with the Sonata and Accent. The Azera is an exception, being redone after only five years.

Thus I think we'll have to wait for 2006 for the new Elantra. I just hope it's out for awhile before I have to buy my next car in the fall of 2006.
  • gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    I thought the Azera wasn't due out until Spring '06. I know they've stated they are coming out with three new models by the year end. So your prediction then assumes a swap between Azera and Elantra release dates. I dunno...

Speaking of Hyundai's tight lips on the Elantra replacement, does anyone have any pics of the '06 model other than the sole one I've seen on this site?
  • gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    Hyundai just updated its site with information about a fall '05 Azera release. It does indeed appear that the next Elantra release is getting pushed out at least a few months longer. What a downer...
    I agree with all of you. I have been thinking for quite some time that it is unrealistic for all of us to expect a Fall '05 release date of the Elantra. As far as the 6-year cycles are concerned, I disagree with Backy. I would argue more along the lines of a 5-year cycle. Clearly, some of the models have recently gone under 6-year cycles, but that has a lot to do with their "24-7" product plan, a slumping Korean economy at the turn of the millenium, and brand repositioning with Kia. If Hyundai wants to really compete with Honda and Toyota like it says it does, there is no way they will go for a 6-year product cycle. In classes like the Sonata's, and Elantra's, six years might as well be fifteen... Certainly, long cycles have done little to hurt them recently, but that is because a lot of the buyers that are buying these cars didn't even have them on shopping lists five years ago. In 2001, the Elantra and Sonata were not recommended by Consumer Reports, or any other publication in fact; thus, I would argue that for a lot of people, these cars are relatively new. Also, at their current price points, which are slated to increase, their competition is with lower-end cars. For instance, $10-11k for an Elantra is not inline with Civic or Corolla, it is more inline with ECHOs, and the last generation of Cavalier, and they compete extremely favorably with those models, especially at that price.

Another reason I think the Elantra isn't coming out this fall is that the Civic is coming out. The Accord is who they set the Sonata's sights upon, and the Civic/Elantra thing is not that different. The Civic is coming out this Fall, so it could be that they really want to see what is going to be in that car. From what I read online, the next Civic is going to have the same engine as the 160bhp Si in 99-00 as the base model (though, certainly revised somewhat), and 200bhp for the higher-end Si. If this is the case, I think it is fair to say we will see the 2.4L Sonata engine in the next Elantra... It has 160bhp.

The Elantra will come out within six months after the Accent, which comes this Fall. The Accent is moving so much larger (it now has more room than a Civic or Corolla), and is no longer a subcompact, but a compact car in the NHTSA/EPA rating system. The Accent being this much more competitive, will certainly bite into the Elantra sales.
    It was 6+ years between redesigns for the Sonata--actually 6-1/2 for the U.S. It will be 6 years for the Accent. Hyundai used to adhere to a five-year cycle. So their lengthening cycles is a fact. Adding one year to their product cycle won't hurt them against the Japanese if the new designs are good.

Maybe Hyundai is waiting to see what the '06 Civic looks like but I doubt that's the reason for delaying the new Elantra. The design for the next Elantra will be pretty set by this fall, if it's to debut in the spring. But we don't know that. It might not come until fall of '06.

Hyundai's trend is clear--its vehicles are moving upmarket. That's necessary for the Elantra to combat the '06 Civic, which reportedly is moving upmarket, the Corolla, Mazda3, and Jetta. I just hope the new Elantra doesn't get too big. It's a nice size now. Another inch or two of rear leg room would be welcome.
    Seeing as how the new Accent has more interior volume than the current Elantra, you can expect the Elantra to grow in size tremendously. The new Azera is bigger than a 7-series BMW, and a Mercedes S-class. The new Sonata is about the same size as the Ford Five Hundred and Chrysler 300. The new Accent is bigger than Corolla, Civic, and the current Elantra... Then think about the fact that the Tucson is almost the same size as the current Santa Fe, which gives us the clear realization that the Santa Fe will move upmarket and larger; many sources say it will have three rows of seats. The Elantra will certainly be significantly, and noticeably larger. I highly doubt it is going to be a slight change in size, as the Elantra would then be left irrelevant... Also, if you see any of the many spy shots online, you can see that the car is clearly larger than the current model. Look at how big the people inside it look in relation to the car size itself, and then how big people look inside in pictures of the current model, and you can see that the new car is looking about the same size as the Ford Fusion which is due to come out soon.

Just because a company delays release dates on one occasion does not mean that they are etching in stone that they will do it again. I still stand by my opinion that they will not move to a six year product cycle in the future.
    The new Accent is not bigger inside (or outside for that matter) than the current Elantra--at least not according to Hyundai's specs. If you have info to the contrary, please post it.

Please also post any links you have that are definitively of the next-gen Elantra. There is some difference of opinion that the shots at Edmunds.com (shown at other sites also) attributed to the new Elantra are actually of the next-gen Optima.

As proven by the next-gen Accent/Rio, a car can grow greatly in interior room without growing in length much. That is what I am hoping for with the next Elantra.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    CR just removed the Elantra from its recommended list since it rated "poor" in the new gov't side impact test. It also had other less than flattering things to say. Bummer.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The new Sonata may have Ford Five Hundred like interior room, but its NOT nearly as large on the outside. Check the specs.

~alpha
    What does that have to do with the next-gen Elantra? With SABs/SACs standard and the benefit of Hyundai's engineers knowing about the IIHS side impact test before they finalized the car's design (unlike with the current Elantra), it should make a big difference on this test with the new Elantra.
    I am certain that the car in these pictures is the next Elantra. The pictures I have seen are clearly Hyundai. I think the fact that the car has the same taillamp design as the new Azera and Sonata should be enough proof for anyone, but alas, the journalist inside of me make me need to convince the unbelievers.

If the front end airdam setup and composite healights with the Sonataesque tail treatment aren't enough, there are some things to look at:

http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/spy-shots-2004/H/hyundai/getz-accent-elantra-coupe_pa- ge_7.html

http://info.detnews.com/autosinsider/sneakpeek/index.cfm?id=16579

First off, while I acknowledge that the next Optima is supposed to be smaller than the new Sonata, I think that the pictures of this car are making it look much too small to be in the same platform as the Sonata.

Everything is nothing without context. This is the most basic journalistic principle, and if you were some sort of automotive reporter and you saw spy shots like those of the Elantra (the ones available on thecarconnection.com), and you saw that an Elantra Matrix and Tiburon were the cars in front and in back of it, wouldn't you think it was a Hyundai? Also, take a look here:

http://www.geocities.com/giovanni_dee/Elantra

AGAIN, why would the Optima, which obviously different than the Sonata, which is also in the picture here, be between a Tucson and a Sonata?? The pictures we are looking at are of the next Elantra.

Also, notice that the Hyundai Sonata has 5 lug nuts. The Optima would therefore, in all reasonable likelihood, have 5 lug nuts. The Elantra in the pictures does not. I has 4.
    Couple of things:

Where do you see a clear shot of the tailights on the photos attributed to the Elantra? Also, I see five lug nuts on the photo that is supposedly of the Elantra, not four. This doesn't mean it can't be the Elantra, but it's clearly five lug nuts.

I once saw a photo (can't find it now, but it was on a competing forum so I couldn't post the link anyway) of the NF Sonata and a car that looks like a dead ringer to the "Elantra" in these photos sitting side by side. They looked to be the same size to me. So I am not yet convinced these photos are of the next-gen Elantra, but if they are then production is quite far along, so we shouldn't have long to wait before Hyundai unveils the new car to the world.
    Actually, upon looking at these photos again, I have noticed that in some shots the car does show to have five lug nuts. The photos I write of that show the taillamps are the ones available on thecarconnection.com as the 2007 Elantra. I would like to point out that Corolla XRSes with the 180bhp Toyota Celica GT-S engine have to have 5 lugs, not 4, so perhaps this 5 lug thing, if the car is indeed the Elantra, shows us that the car will offer either the 160bhp new Sonata engine or the Tiburon's V6.

Upon reexamining the photos and whatnot, I would have to say that I am still pretty sure that the car is the Elantra, although not 100% certain. The taillamps really give it away.
  • toyunkitoyunki Member Posts: 25
    Hyundai put improved VVT 2.7 engine on new luxury car from Kia and Hyundais.

and it produces 198 hp. and 190+ft lb. it should be options too on Elantra or new Cuope.

And Hyundai should put 3.8 engine on next Cuope.

Mitsu's new Eclipse has 3.8 engine with 260 hp FF.
    More likely the 5 lug nuts are there to support 16" wheels, which are becoming increasingly common in this class (e.g. Spectra5).

The carconnection.com pics show the taillights heavily disguised. All I can see from them is that the taillights have red and white in them, and they are more horizontal than the Elantra's current taillights.

I doubt the Elantra will ever use the Tiburon's V6. That is an old design and gets little more hp than the new 2.4L I4. 160 hp is more than enough for this class. It compares well to the Mazda3 and even the new Jetta's base engine.
    I agree that it is unlikely that they'd put the V6 into the next Elantra, but I wouldn't throw it out the window. It has just recently been put into the Tucson, and has been in the Tiburon, and these are both on the same platform.

What are your thoughts on the next GT Elantra? Do you think they'll even come out with one and if so, do you think they'll do the same one year wait thing? I am going to torchy my Accord soon and I want to buy a new car. What I really want is a Tucson GLS V6 4x4, but it is a little too expensive, and I no longer want a Tucson if I have to get a GL I-4 4-2 with a manual. I could get a lower-end new Sonata (the NF next kind) with an I-4, but if I get a car I probably want a manual, and I don't want a GL Sonata to have a manual. This leaves me with waiting for the next Elantra GT. If I can come into some concrete evidence that the GT is coming, I can wait. Otherwise I think I may just buy a used Santa Fe 2.7 V6 GLS 4x4. Even if I decide to ditch the Santa Fe for the Elantra, I will always get the lowalty money.
  • toyunkitoyunki Member Posts: 25
    it produces 197 hp.

which is even stronger than current 3.5 v6.
    Any idea which vehicles this new 2.7L V6 will be going into? In the States, the Sonata will get the new 3.3L V6. That begs the question whether the new 2.7L engine will go in vehicles like the Tucson/Sportage, Tiburon, and... Elantra!
  • bikerpabikerpa Member Posts: 68
    ...I have it on good word that they will continue with a 4-door hatchback design. Also, whether or not it will come in the next-gen Elantra is still a tossup at this point, but I also know that the theta engine (this 2.4L wonder that will come base on the new Sonata) is all chain-driven, so no timing belt to worry about shredding. The Toyota fanboys are rapidly running out of flaws to point out. ;)
  • baltychenbaltychen Member Posts: 50
    Does the engine have timing belt or timing chain? Can anyone give me this information? Thanks.
    The new generation of Hyundai engines are supposed to be all chain driven.
  • baltychenbaltychen Member Posts: 50
    Thanks a million.
    If someone from Hyundai ever reads this: here's a realistic wish list for the 2006 Elantra that is very reasonable:

The new 2007 Elantra should definitely have the following features:

-XM radio standard FROM LAUNCH
    -Exact same safety standard as Sonata (ESP, ABS, TCS, 6 airbags)
    -17" wheels on high-end model
    -Tiptronic standard on automatics
    -GT variant featuring G6, tC-like panoramic sunroof so as to remain competitive and for cool-factor
    -leather-wrapped steering wheel, shift knob
    -chrome door handles and fixtures inside, or at least aluminum
    -carbon fiber, aluminum, and woodgrain trim kits available for interior
    -rear fold-down center arm rest
    -that purse-holder that is in the new Sonata
    -DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS, for god's sake
    -blue/red gauges like in the Volkswagen line, but not like in the current GT how everything other than the gauges still shines green, all of the controls should light up red to compliment the gauges
    -LED-esque taillamps like on the current model, but in the shape of the new Sonatas
    -5-door variant available from LAUNCH: college students like myself do not want sedans, for obvious reasons
    -fog lights on all models standard will set it more upscale than Kia Spectra
    -10,000 mile oil change intervals
    -Hide-away storage area like on out-going Jetta wagon models in trunk/cargo area
    -Driver-facing dash, like on current model
    -Chrome rings around anything it looks classy on, IE 06 Accent gauges
    --This would be a total gimmick to draw away Scion shoppers, but like on 1989 Maximas and on the new BMW 6-series, they have a little projector that projects onto the windshield a digital read out of your current speed. That is a really cool feature that no other cars would have in the class, and would not be expensive to install.
    -ACTIVE HEAD RESTRAINTS
    -at least 28 miles per gallon in the city, and at least 36 miles per gallon highway
    -3-point seatbelts at all seating positions
    -Small pull-down holder for grocery bags that allows them to hang, just like in the new 2006 Jetta.
    -Homelink universal transceiver on GTs

Other than the panoramic sunroof, which would be really expensive, but worth it, I think that all of this stuff is do-able.
    Current Elantra has 3-point belts in all positions, and Hyundai has announced that all its cars will have XM radio standard in 2006, so those two should be gimme's.

The safety equipment (including active headrests), rear arm rest, and better fuel economy are pretty likely too based on what we've seen so far on Hyundai's new models. Adding a rear center headrest would be a nice touch.

I'd like to see 16", 5-bolt wheels standard. You can have the chrome rings and heads-up display. I wish the chrome-rings-on-gauges fad had never started. They're just a shiny distraction, IMO. I much prefer the simple styling of the current gauges--easy to read, no glare.

Another thing I'd love to see (but doubt we will) is a 6-speed stick on at least the GT and a 5-speed automatic. More small cars are getting these now, so as Hyundai looks to the next five years they should keep up in this respect.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I too would be very happy to see a six-speed manual in the next Elantra.

As for daytime running lights, no way. They are useless, other than to sell me lightbulbs. Nothing is more distracting than a vehicle behind me causing me to flip my inside mirror -- that includes during the day. That hardly makes for safer driving.
    In Oregon, where I live, in your drivers test at the DMV, you are marked down if you drive without your lights on.

Statistically, daytime running lamps ACTUALLY DO make a significant impact on safety of vehicles. I believe it was the Highway Data Loss Institute (iihs.org) that did a study that found in parking lots and in minor accidents they decreased likelihood of a crash by an astounding number, like 70% for minor fender benders. The same study said that they cost the average consumer somewhere around $3 per year to replace the bulbs...unless you drive a VW, where the bulbs burn out constantly, then it is probably much much more haha.

Anyway, DRLs make sense, otherwise they wouldn't be the law in Canada and most of Europe!

I can see not liking chrome rings, as well, Backy. I just think that they fit in with the noveau-near-luxo image Hyundai wants.

I too have been thinking about the 5-speed auto idea. Seeing as how the 4-cylinder Sonatas don't have them, I doubt the next 'Lantra will.
  • questingquesting Member Posts: 1
    Great list :) , but the cost may too high for the average Joe. :cry:
    About the 2006 Elantras, I have been told by dealers that they will not be changing the Elantras for next year(2006). Besides they just added the Elantra 5dr last year. The 5dr originally was only available in the GT model. Can anyone else verify this? This is in Toronto by the way. :shades:
    All the evidence points to the next Elantra coming out in 2006 as a 2007 model. My bet is on a spring release, like the '06 Sonata, but we'll have to see. And you are correct, the GLS 5-door (as it is known here in the States) was just made available for 2005.

As for price of the next Elantra... I am expecting the next generation will move up in size (maybe just into the EPA midsize class), features (e.g. standard side curtains, ABS/traction, CD/MP3/XM audio, and maybe even VSC), and price. I predict the '07 Elantra will start at just under $15k MSRP for the GLS. This would put it smack-dab between the nicely-equipped Accent GLS (around $12-13k) and the base Sonata (around $18k).

That may seem high, but compared to cars like the Civic LX and Corolla LE that are around $15-16k and don't offer anywhere near this level of equipment, that would be a reasonable price IMO assuming the quality is similar to that of the new Sonata.
    Press release for the new Hyundai minivan:

Hyundai's Expanding Model Line Up Strengthened By All-New Entourage Minivan

Name and Details of Hyundai's 2007 Minivan Disclosed at Automotive News Marketing Seminar

Fountain Valley, Calif. (June 1, 2005) - Hyundai Motor America President and CEO Robert F. Cosmai, speaking at the Automotive News Marketing Seminar in Los Angeles, announced that the next addition to Hyundai's growing model line up will be an all-new minivan named "Entourage." Entourage will be the fifth of seven all-new or redesigned vehicles offered by Hyundai in a new product blitz that started in October 2004 with the Tucson SUV. Entourage will reach dealers in the spring of 2006 as an '07 model year vehicle.

Entourage will extend Hyundai's product lineup into the minivan segment for the first time. Like the all-new '06 Sonata and Azera sedans, the Entourage will come standard with an impressive suite of safety equipment, including Electronic Stability Control (ESC) with Traction Control, ABS with EBD, six standard airbags including side curtain airbags that provide protection for all three rows of passengers, and front active head restraints that protect against whiplash.

Entourage will be offered in a long-wheel base version only, and will be powered by the sophisticated new 3.8L V6 engine that is also found in the Hyundai Azera premium sedan.

Hyundai Motor America, headquartered in Fountain Valley, Calif. is a subsidiary
    of Hyundai Motor Company of Korea. Hyundai cars and sport utility vehicles are distributed throughout the United States by Hyundai Motor America and are sold and serviced by more than 650 Hyundai dealerships nationwide.

The reason I think this might be bad news for people waiting for the next-gen Elantra is that the new van is slated for a spring 2006 release, and there was no mention of the new Elantra (or Santa Fe for that matter). Logically, the sixth new Hyundai out the door will be the new Santa Fe, since undisguised photos are already available. That means it could be a fall 2006 release for the 2007 Elantra. The only good news is that for people like me who will be in the market for a car in the fall of 2006, we can choose from deeply-discounted 2006 Elantras or the new Elantra. :)
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Thanks for that piece. Too bad we have to wait to see more of the new Elantra, but really too bad about the other (the last thing the world needs is yet another minivan -- yeesh).
    As a former minivan owner, I am actually glad to see there will be reasonably-priced, high-quality minivans with all the latest safety equipment available. It's going to be another blow to GM, Ford, and DC unfortunately. I am actually kind of excited about the prospect of maybe being able to pick up a '06 Elantra GLS 5-door with ABS in the fall of '06 for less than $11k, if the closeout discounts and rebates match historical highs :) Of course, that depends on how good the '07 Elantra and '06 Accent are...
This discussion has been closed.