Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    There is a reason why, in that situation, I never ask about prices.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    At least the end for me is in sight. In 18 months, I make my last ever tuition payment. Might finally be able after that to afford a car I actually want!

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    nyccarguy said:

@roadburner - I noticed on the BMW website, that even an X1 with an ///M Sport Package just seems like an appearance package.  No suspension modifications or adaptive suspension.  It does mention an 8 speed Sport Automatic transmission though.

I agree with you about my favorite BMWs now.  ///M2, ///M4, & B6 Alpina Grand Coupe.

I learned that BMWNA orders all X1s with the M Sport suspension. That beats all the F3x xDrives, which get the base suspension at all trim levels unless you order the Adaptive M suspension.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    What if the Princess goes to grad school? B)
  • Options
    Short deadline on this one - if you know someone buying, please send them our way.

A reporter is looking to talk with someone who is currently in the market for a new pickup truck. If you're willing talk about which truck(s) you are considering please reach out to pr@edmunds.com by no later than June 8, 2016.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    @roadburner - I noticed on the BMW website, that even an X1 with an ///M Sport Package just seems like an appearance package.  No suspension modifications or adaptive suspension.  It does mention an 8 speed Sport Automatic transmission though.

I agree with you about my favorite BMWs now.  ///M2, ///M4, & B6 Alpina Grand Coupe.
    I learned that BMWNA orders all X1s with the M Sport suspension. That beats all the F3x xDrives, which get the base suspension at all trim levels unless you order the Adaptive M suspension.
    Interesting point

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    stever said:

What if the Princess goes to grad school? B)

I hope she has a fabulous time and enjoys paying for it.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    then there's post doc.....
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    One thing I forgot to mention about my visit to the Acura dealer, there wasn't a customer in sight. I saw two sales reps on the phone, but that's it. The Honda dealer on the other hand had customers at every desk and sales reps with customers outside on the lot, a busy place.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Eventually you learn more and more about less and less until you know everything there is about nothing at all.

What's not to like?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    This one's going to be difficult to pass up:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/09/2017-ford-fusion-sport-380-lb-ft/

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    RE: 2017 Fusion Sport 380 TQ.
    I saw that this morning, too.
    I hope to test drive one as soon as the Sport
    model hits dealers...
    - Ray
    TQ junkie ....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    @rayainsw - or about a year later when they pile the incentives & cheap financing rates start to show up

• Options
    Sound plan...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    That spirit is rated for lousy mileage though. Might as well get a deal on an Infiniti G.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    The Fusion is probably a little bigger inside.  The wife mentioned maybe going back to a car once the Enclave goes back.  Hmmm.....  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    nyccarguy said:
    Yeee...Hawwwww. Pretty darned cool!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Drove about 5 Fusions at work this past week and two of them had the loss of power issue. When we brought the other problem Fusions into the dealer a couple of weeks ago, no one would tell us exactly what caused the problem...they fixed it and that was it. Obviously, there is a problem with certain fleet 2016 Fusions and just makes sense that this same problem is affecting other Fusions in the market place. Having driven four Fusions now with this issue and my co-workers have each driven several to date so before anyone goes out and buys one, I sure hope Ford will just fix the problem and be done with it.
    Right now, I would not recommend a Ford Fusion to anyone in the market for a mid size vehicle. This problem is a real safety hazard because it just happens, with no advanced warning, no matter what kind of street the vehicles are on!!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Well at least it's a fixable problem, apparently. That's what warranties and recalls are all about.
  • Options
    sandman_6472 -
    Have you started to see any 2017 Fusions?
    They have begun to appear on local lots recently...
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    No interest in any 2016, personally ...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    stickguy said:

At least the end for me is in sight.

Sounds ominous!! :p

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    No, only in 2016 models that I have driven. I didn't ask the other couple drivers if they were also in 2016's but assuming they were. One now refuses to even drive one because it is a safety hazard and unsafe...since it just happens whenever it wants, it can be scary. My first time, it happened on the Florida Turnpike and this week, on the I-595 extension leaving the Ft. Lauderdale airport. Do find it odd that Ford hasn't done anything official since it could potentially hurt someone. Luckily, I didn't panic and put on my emergency blinkers and got over to the right shoulder as soon as folks would let me in immediately. Folks down south here love to speed up on others trying to get over for some sick reason, very annoying!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    edited June 2016
    Have to say, while the specs of that fusion sport are appealing, and the styling has aged well, it doesn't seem to me that the platform has been known for its great handling and dynamics, only in search of additional power. It'll be interesting how it fares. I did see a nice blue 2017 fusion on the road today and found it very handsome.

Now...if Mazda would get off its butt and serve a similar treatment to the mazda6 (uh, like a mazdaspeed6), that would be compelling.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,315
    breld said:

Now...if Mazda would get off its butt and serve a similar treatment to the mazda6 (uh, like a mazdaspeed6), that would be compelling.

There has been talk of taking the turbo 4 from the new CX-9 and dropping that into the 6. May not be much, but it's a start (so long as they keep the MT option available as well).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Mazda should give us the turbo motor plus AWD to make the 6 a (mid sized sedan) butt kicking machine

• Options
    I write this with a heavy heart.

Growing up, some of my closest friends were the kids of firefighters my dad worked with. We grow up, we grow apart, but that bond still exists. Facebook has allowed us to stay in touch.

Found out earlier this week that the son of one of these friends was involved in an auto accident. He was driving and had a female passenger. Sadly, alcohol and speed were factors; police are still investigating.

Both kids (I say kids, even though they are in their 20's) were seriously injured in the accident. The girl was pulled off life support on Wednesday, and last night I found out that my friend and her ex-husband have decided to do the same with their son. Both of them had elected to be organ donors, so others will benefit from this tragedy.

I don't have a lot of memories of Justin, but no parent should have to bury their kids.

Part of me grieves; another part is angry for the poor decisions they both made that night, and the consequences I'm sure they never figured they'd have to pay.

My friend recently retired after a career as an emergency dispatcher, so she's had plenty of exposure to this kind of incident. Doesn't make it any easier to deal with, however, when it's your own child.

She posted this on FB before making the decision to pull her son off support:

Those that know me - know that while I surely like my wine - I have ALWAYS been ADAMANT about not drinking and driving. This has been an absolute.

I have drilled this into my friends and family forever. Please - if you take anything away from this tragedy - please - Please -PLEASE realize that this happens, and lives are changed forever. You don't ever want to be where I am, where Noelle's family is or where Justin is right now. There is never a good outcome.

RIP Justin.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    There are just not any words that will help in a tragedy like this. I simply wish all the best for these friends and family.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    every parents worst nightmare. Like others, I harp on the kids but in the end, need to trust them not to do stupid things.

I did make it clear that when they were on my dime (driving my car) it was a 1 strike policy. Violate the rule, the car goes.

thankfully the daughter seems to be OCD level over cautious. Hopefully that keeps up.

• Options
    as to cars, if for 2017 Mazda drops the turbo into the 6, and makes it available with the stick, pretty sure I know where my first shopping stop will be (if they keep the price under control).

• Options
    also, looks like I will get to do some shopping today. Son came home to visit, so we are going to pop out this afternoon "just to browse". May finally get to drive an A3. He also likes the TT, and 2 series. Could be a fun day!

• Options
    stickguy said:

also, looks like I will get to do some shopping today. Son came home to visit, so we are going to pop out this afternoon "just to browse". May finally get to drive an A3. He also likes the TT, and 2 series. Could be a fun day!

Enjoy and report back on your findings!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    @michaell - thanks for sharing. It's certainly a sobering story that is nonetheless necessary to hear.

@stickguy - have fun today! Who knows, you may find a dealership eager to make a deal and get your son out of the Jetta!

I just had an annoying ding taken out of the S4 yesterday. I actually bought the "ding protection" plan offered by the Audi dealership when I bought the car, mostly 'cause it covers up to 4 wheel rash repairs. So it's always nice when those plans actually pay off a little.

I'm fascinated with the process of the paintless dent repair - looked like someone opened their door into my front fender, so there was a vertical crease, perpendicular to the body crease above the wheel. Watched the guy take it out - about half an hour of slowly coaxing the metal back into place. Pretty cool.

• Options
    I'm sure the Audi dealer would be happy to make that happen. Probably not a good idea now. He is upgrading jobs this month (going from contract to perm, at a higher level and more pay) and switching apartments (with a month overlap). So a pricy month, with enough going on. Better to wait.

Over Christmas? Yeah, that could happen!

He did say he better not drive an S3, or it might be all over.

• Options
    @stickguy - speaking of expensive months, I've got the balance of my Disney Vacation to pay for on 6/19 after leaving a paltry $200 deposit at time of booking. I also got an estimate to have my house painted. $10,800! It's about what I figured, but it hurts to see that number on an estimate.

• Options
    For that much, slap on siding.

• Options
    Vinyl Siding?

• Options
  • Options
    Yup - expensive summer. We have our Disney (land) vacation coming up next month. Then our first college tuition payment will be around the same time. Trip to China in September. And then our cruise in November.

And then we have to buy a house and all the things that come along with that somewhere in the middle.

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

@stickguy - speaking of expensive months, I've got the balance of my Disney Vacation to pay for on 6/19 after leaving a paltry $200 deposit at time of booking. I also got an estimate to have my house painted. $10,800! It's about what I figured, but it hurts to see that number on an estimate.

Ex-squeeze me? Did you just say $10K for painting?

I paid less than $3K to have my two story house done.

When I get back to work full time we'll probably have our current house painted. Good thing is my step-son and his friends are good at it ... and not terribly expensive.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    breld said:

And then we have to buy a house and all the things that come along with that somewhere in the middle.

*Have* to buy a house? Hmm.... ;)

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    Michaell said:

I don't have a lot of memories of Justin, but no parent should have to bury their kids.

Tragedy indeed; that is the only way to characterize it. A cousin buried her youngest son the same way, and, truly, the family will never be the same.

We are all inestimably fortunate that the stupidity of our past decisions did not result in similar outcomes, so, while this event is a sobering reminder to avoid high risk behaviors like DUI, let us all be thankful for both our fortune and our opportunities and interactions in life regardless of our current situation.

Best wishes to your friend and the families involved.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    I paid about $2k to have the interior walls of my house painted before moving in. The guy I use isn't a perfectionist but he is significantly cheaper than most others. I have ugly aluminum siding that a previous owner painted over. Given enough time, I'm sure a hail storm will eventually necessitate replacement.
  • Options
    Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

When I get back to work full time we'll probably have our current house painted. Good thing is my step-son and his friends are good at it ... and not terribly expensive.
    No, I said $10,800. The entire house (exterior) has to be sanded down. This needed to be done 6 years ago when we moved in. Then they say 2 coats of primer & then paint.

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    I had our interior painted as well last fall. $5k, but we have a 116 year old house with a lot of trim work. Looks great, though.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

No, I said $10,800. The entire house (exterior) has to be sanded down. This needed to be done 6 years ago when we moved in. Then they say 2 coats of primer & then paint.
    OK, way more work than what we had done to our (then) 10 year old home. I now understand the premium price.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    This is where I'm going to love going smaller. $500 to paint the interior of my condo. To be fair, it really mostly needs touch-ups throughout. But max it might be $800. 

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    My painter works for free. But I complain a lot about doing it. And I am really not looking forward to the next round (a few bedrooms) and the worst part, the hallway and stairwell. I will probably get a quote, and refuse to pay for it, and just drag out the ladder and maybe kill myself.

• Options
    so, took a few test rides today (rides, because I rode, kid drove). First and Audi A3 2.0t. MSRP right about 40K. Then, a C class coupe, MSRP 54K (ouch).

piece of advice. If you are a full size human, don't wedge into the back of one of those coupes!

Anyway, kid loved the Audi. And really was wowed by the MB, and all the goodies on it (salesguy was changing the driving mode as we went). Impressive interior. I did like the A3 too. Could see one of those for myself, though I think I prefer the prior style A4 more.

Pretty sure the MB is a fantasy, unless he wants to go used and 4 door. Most likely it ends up being an A3. Just remains to be seen if new or CPO, and buy or lease. Always subject to change, but at year end, I suspect he will get one of them.

He will look at more stuff. TLX, and Mustang GT. Should be fun!

• Options
    they did have one car at the MB dealer I loved. a dark blue over Almond 2014 C class, sport. Really sharp looking. Interesting part, it was still new, wearing the original sticker. Chatted briefly with the sales manager, who said they got a buy on a bunch from MB (it wasn't just lost in the back lot). was originally some sort of promotion car (golf tourney or some such) according to him. But it was a great buy and "on sale". if I was buying now, would have taken a look.

not sure how to price a brand new 2014 though. MSRP was $40,200, so not particularly loaded but had some good stuff on it.

I'm sure there was a number to get to. Probably not where I would look to be (30K?) but would be interesting to find out.

• Options
    stickguy said:

My painter works for free. But I complain a lot about doing it.

I rather enjoy it - got some exterior wood here that I plan to "log oil" next week. It's all in the prep.

Wish I felt the same about car repair....