Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    kyfdx said:

We had a "loaded" 2003 325i. Everything but NAV, basically. MSRP of $38K.

So, 13 years later, a 328i similarly equipped is $50K/yr? (plus, a lot more tech, I'm guessing).

Seems about right. Time flies.

Steel Blue, right?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    BMW really went kinda nuts with overlapping niche models. Doesn't seem efficient at all.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Steel blue, my favorite color!

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    breld said:
    Having the last "free" oil change on the X5 right now.  The dealerships sister MINI and Honda stores just moved into their new facilities next door, so makes for some fun browsing:

CPO 428 Gran Coupe.  2016 with only 9k miles, and priced accordingly.  Probably about $9k off new MSRP.  I like them, but would prefer to wait until they are "more" used.

535 GT.  I know these aren't the prettiest thing, but they sure depreciate a lot.  2013 well equipped with 30k miles for $36k. Lots of car for the money.

New Pilot - still like the CX9 better aesthetically, but man Honda really knows how to package things.  Really roomy in all 3 rows, and a great push button mechanism to move the second row up for access to the rear seats.

Ridgeline - still a bit bland in person.  They'll sell tons.
    I like the 4GCs. Not sure what their point is in the marketplace but it's a sharp looking car with the coupe like lines and sedan functionality.  As they come off of 3 year leases with more miles the price will drop. What is see are cars like breld describes, sub 10k miles that were most likely service loaners.

I think the 3GT pulls off this design better than the 5 series but as noted it's a lot of car for the money.

The bubble on Ridgelines won't last. It's a niche market trucklet.  Once supply catches up by the end of summer prices and deals will fall in line.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    nyccarguy said:

@tifighter - mazel-Tov & congrats on the Electric Soul punch! Crazy incentives to lease? Do tell. Inquiring minds want to know. Your house is beautiful

Thanks!

Sweet ride, tifighter!

What did the money factor and residual end up being on that? I know they had super high lease cash, but I was not able to find rates on them.

Yeah, for some reason that info was hard to come by; even michaell and kyfdx couldn't get it. Ended up being a MF of 0.00031 for a 36/12 lease with a residual at 38%. As you mention, this is why the lease cash was so high at $12.5K and the dealer discounted more as well. Ended up way less than the Leaf it replaces and the range is better too.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

edited June 2016
    breld said:

3 GT is based off the Chinese longer platform 3-series, so has tons of rear legroom.  It also sits more upright and thus looks a bit frumpier.  

4 GC has the same lower profile of other 4-series and thus is much sleeker, but has less headroom and rear legroom.

Love the hatchback on both, but I think I'd sacrifice the rear legroom for the better aesthetic look.  

I looked at these before ultimately getting the Volvo. The 3GT has way way more room inside than the 4GC. Since I was looking for a wagon, it was more 3GT vs. the wagon, but in a weird way, the GT felt roomier, and the deals were a lot better. If you actually use the back seat, no comparison, 3GT all the way.

I am oddly attracted to this as a spare/winter/local runabout set of wheels. Just don't ask me why.

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2005-kia-sportage-4dr_ex_4wd_v6_automatic-used-15207569.html

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    The Ridgeline has never been more than a niche player. Here are sales numbers for the Ridgeline, and sales numbers for the Silverado over the same period.

As you can see, the best year for the Ridgeline was 50k, and the Silverado does that many per month, not per year.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    I want to see the new ranger here.

And I suspect Honda was extra pleased to move 50k ridge lines back them. Not thinking they have a huge production capacity. The new one should easily sell that IMO

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Couldn't get enough of browsing, so I hit the Mazda dealer on the way back to the office to drive the CX-9.

I already liked the overall packaging and style, and came away impressed with the drivetrain. The 2.5l turbo had really nice pull - much like other 4 cyl turbos I've driven from VW and BMW. I suppose that's not all that surprising, but I give kudos to Mazda for applying that approach to a large SUV. The 6-speed transmission shifted well and was responsive - so much so that I didn't bother trying out the sport mode.

I don't think I'd hesitate to combine the X5 and Sedona into one car with the CX-9. But between the current high demand on the Mazda, and only being halfway through the Kia lease, I don't think I could stomach the bottom line right now.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

edited June 2016
    stickguy said:

I want to see the new ranger here.

And I suspect Honda was extra pleased to move 50k ridge lines back them. Not thinking they have a huge production capacity. The new one should easily sell that IMO

I thought I saw in one of the current magazines that the Ranger was indeed going to be brought here (or maybe it was still rumor?). In any case, it looked great, and I suspect it would compete well.

I heard it was finally coming. Just not sure when. I think it will be a smash hit.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    nyccarguy said:

kyfdx said:

We had a "loaded" 2003 325i. Everything but NAV, basically. MSRP of $38K.

So, 13 years later, a 328i similarly equipped is $50K/yr? (plus, a lot more tech, I'm guessing).

Seems about right. Time flies.

Steel Blue, right?
    Yup.. Sold it to my friend at Thanksgiving, 2005 and they still have it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    You know, I did some numbers, and knocking off some additional bucks from the lease cash - you can probably lease a Soul EV+ with only inceptions due at signing for $275/month including WA tax. That is a lot of car for that kind of money and for running about in the city.

If I thought we could downsize to something like that from the Escape, I might consider it. But realistically, it is more of a replacement for something the size of the GTI.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    Michaell said:

I remember that 3-series cost something like $15K when I graduated HS in 1982. About $37K today, based on inflation.

That reminded me of something - in 1984/85 I was car shopping for my first new car. I was driving a '77 LeMans 2-door at the time, and as a single guy making decent money I wanted something sporty. I remember visiting the local BMW dealer and sitting in a 320 in his showroom. The dealer was typical of the era - was a small-time operation, previously sold Fiats and other fringe imports before landing the BMW franchise. Didn't have the greatest reputation though how much of that was due to selling crummy Fiats is hard to determine.

Anyway I recall sitting in it there - brown and beige inside I remember, and I think it was either metallic brown or dark metallic red outside - and thinking that I could really enjoy this. Then I found a price sheet, a Xeroxed single page that listed that various models and pricing. I seem to recall it was $17K or $18K Cdn. I thought it was out of the question. Of course not long after I ended up in a new MR2 that was $15K.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

You know, I did some numbers, and knocking off some additional bucks from the lease cash - you can probably lease a Soul EV+ with only inceptions due at signing for $275/month including WA tax. That is a lot of car for that kind of money and for running about in the city.

If I thought we could downsize to something like that from the Escape, I might consider it. But realistically, it is more of a replacement for something the size of the GTI.

It has a pretty amazing amount of interior space given the packaging and I'd guess the people space is not that far off from an Escape.Your numbers are about right on but remember that there is no sales tax in WA for an EV at this price, so factor that in. And in WA, we pay the lowest electricity rates in the US thanks to all the hydropower.

I like it. And my punch per year streak lives on :p

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    A couple of thousand posts since I've been here. Of course I haven't bought any cars in that time so maybe I'll get tossed out.

I'm with stick on the $30K limit and unlikely to go that high. Tow year old cars are the deal.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    tifighter said:

It has a pretty amazing amount of interior space given the packaging and I'd guess the people space is not that far off from an Escape.Your numbers are about right on but remember that there is no sales tax in WA for an EV at this price, so factor that in. And in WA, we pay the lowest electricity rates in the US thanks to all the hydropower.

Well, here in NJ I have a negative electric bill but that's because I have solar. If I went to an electric vehicle I'd probably add a couple of panels.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Cool @fezo , how big is your system? I have a small 5.2kW system, but went with a bigger inverter if I want to add to it in the future.

so, I went to BMW site to build hatchbacks. I honestly did not really see a difference between a 3 and a 4, doing them separately. Would have to see in person and maybe side by side to really see a distinction.

dang though, pricey. Local dealer had quite a few, and I think only 1 was under 50K (and that was 49 something)

Got the car tax bills in:

Legacy: $410.44
    Pilot: $444.45
    Prelude: $103.01

According to the City of Stamford where I live, my 5 year old Pilot with 77K miles is worth more than my (not yet) 2 year old Legacy with 35K miles on it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    "highway" robbery B)
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    Those are pretty high taxes. Also, I think most assessors would calculate a 15 year old Prelude at less than 1/4 the value of a two year old Legacy (I know the Prelude is worth more than that to you or me or any other enthusiast, but locally, it seems like a lot of cars more than ten years old get assessed at a value of a couple grand).
    tifighter said:

Cool @fezo , how big is your system? I have a small 5.2kW system, but went with a bigger inverter if I want to add to it in the future.

Mine's the same. Not sure on the inverter but all is well as is and I'm not anticipating an electric vehicle over the next few years.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    tifighter said:

Hold the phone. There is no sales tax on an EV in WA? My numbers factored in 9.5% tax on the monthly. That is a screaming deal then.

I need to get out of my east coast "tax everything" state of mind.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    Here on the east coast they'd probably make you pay double tax. When I bought my TSX during Cash 4 Clunkers in 2009, NY (where I was living at the time) was the only one of the 50 states that taxed the full sale price of the car then deducted the $3,500 rebate. So the c4c rebate was essentially a $3,500 down payment for me.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    edited June 2016
    In SC they have the annual car registration linked to the annual car tax bill. Just got it on the Accord. They value it at $16500, and the total bill is $342.55 from which $200 is allocated to schools. The Pilot's tax bill will be coming soon as the registration expires in August, the Accord in July. Last year the Accord was valued slightly higher than the Pilot. Will be interesting to see where it lands this year.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I doubt I will be buying another new car unless it is a Honda or a make where depreciation in the first few years makes it more attractive to buy new rather than used. Kind of wanting a change from Honda, though I have been really pleased with their products. The wife really likes the Audi Q5 and I could go any number of directions.

sda said:

In SC they have the annual car registration linked to the annual car tax bill. Just got it on the Accord. They value it at $16500, and the total bill is $342.55 from which $200 is allocated to schools. The Pilot's tax bill will be coming soon as the registration expires in August, the Accord in July. Last year the Accord was valued slightly higher than the Pilot. Will be interesting to see where it lands this year.

Up here in tax-happy Nova Scotia I am surprised they haven't enacted a personal property tax on automobiles, especially since we have a noisy cycling lobby that has the government's ear to enact what is essentially an anti-car agenda. Annual registration fees for my ATS are about $125-$150 a year IIRC. I hope they never get the idea to go ahead with such a tax on top of that.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042
    edited June 2016

Since when is this a "Corolla or equivalent"?

No cruise control, but I did get almost 37 MPG on the 20-some odd mile drive from the airport to the hotel.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited June 2016
    I booked a "luxury" car from Budget. Priceline says Cadillac ATS or similar. Not sure what I will end up with, but it better not be a "Corolla or equivalent!"
    corvette said:

I booked a "luxury" car from Budget. Priceline says Cadillac ATS or similar. Not sure what I will end up with, but it better not be a "Corolla or equivalent!"

Um, yeah. I hear you.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Funny. Every morning I drive by a hotel with a Hertz HLE on site. This morning I remarked to myself about the lineup of Yaris on the lot, they always have several there.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    nyccarguy said:

Here on the east coast they'd probably make you pay double tax. When I bought my TSX during Cash 4 Clunkers in 2009, NY (where I was living at the time) was the only one of the 50 states that taxed the full sale price of the car then deducted the $3,500 rebate. So the c4c rebate was essentially a $3,500 down payment for me.

Actually, when I leased the Leaf, it had no tax. I was surprised, too.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    I like that car, if all of your driving is around town. I'd take it in a minute.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Michaell said:

No cruise control, ...

WOW. !!!!!!!! That's a deficiency.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

kyfdx said:

I like that car, if all of your driving is around town. I'd take it in a minute.

It's actually pretty comfortable. However, the rear cargo area doesn't hold my garment bag without folding down one of the rear seats.

After my interviews, I'm hoping to make a quick trip to the coast before heading to the airport.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• jeffb0101jeffb0101 Member Posts: 53
    How does the whole car tax thing work in other states? Do you pay tax on the purchase price upon purchase along with the annual tax bill?

In Louisiana, we pay on the purchase price, and then just a registration renewal fee every 2 years.

2015 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5

In KY, you pay sales tax when you buy (less the value of your trade in). The next year and each year thereafter, your registration will be due for renewal, and you pay a tag fee plus an ad valorem tax on the vehicle. 
    Jersey you pay tax at purchase time. After that, annual registration fee which is not too much (about $60 or do). No personal property tax on cars, but they make up for it if you own a house. Plus sales tax and income tax.

In CT you pay 6.35% Sales Tax when you purchase the car, & $90 to register the car every 2 years, and a personal property tax on the car every year. The amount of the personal property tax is based upon a portion of the car's value plus the city or town you live in. The same car in the next town over from me might have less of a tax to pay because the property values in that town are stratospheric.

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    NC is 3% sales tax at the time of purchase. $30 to renew tags every year plus a $30 inspection. We also have a personal property tax that is assessed based on the value of the car, I think it's about $60 for the Pathfinder and the Volvo and Touareg are closer to $500 each.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    I'm not sure if I could deal with renting my cars forever like that. It is hard enough tolerating it with real estate.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    jeffb0101 said:

How does the whole car tax thing work in other states? Do you pay tax on the purchase price upon purchase along with the annual tax bill?

In Louisiana, we pay on the purchase price, and then just a registration renewal fee every 2 years.

Nova Scotia is like that, except that our sales tax on the purchase (new or used, no matter) is 15%.

ab348 said:

jeffb0101 said:

Nova Scotia is like that, except that our sales tax on the purchase (new or used, no matter) is 15%.
    Wow, 15%, OUCH! On a $30k car, $4500 in taxes. That hurts.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Wow. Move across country and not have internet for 2 weeks, a lotta posts here! Spouse drove with the dog in the Encore in a punishing heat wave across the southwest. Love the AC in that car! I flew with the cat which was not much fun either. After 2 weeks we still are awaiting our moving truck, so we are camping in a condo with an air bed and plastic dishes. But we are now in sunny Southern California, it's 73 and a 20 minute walk to the beach, so I'm not complaining too hard. At the moment we are sharing the Encore. Since we are doing everything together and don't know many people yet, it's fine for now. I will say that the next car we get WILL NOT BE WHITE. Every other car here is white! I had a white rental for awhile and had a devil of a time finding it in a parking lot. The Encore at least is black and its grill is pretty easy to spot. Not a lot of them out here.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Replaced the side view mirror on the Sedona his morning.  Had to pop the body color "cap" off the old broken one and get it in the new one - everything is ship shape again.  Driving around with a side view mirror held by duct tape felt really ghetto. 

I'm not nearly as handy on cars as many of you, but I felt very smug about saving the labor cost and making the swap myself. Wife was pleased too. 

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I did that for a while after someone in Venice CA smashed my side view mirror on the Quest. I epoxied it back together three times before finally getting a new one. The worst was when I had some work done on it and the shop ran it through the automatic car wash as a courtesy and busted the glue joint, but I had a roll of duck tape in the van.
    sda said:

Wow, 15%, OUCH! On a $30k car, $4500 in taxes. That hurts.

Yes, it is a very real consideration to the CCBA'ers among us up here. The cost of socialism.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    I'm curious how the tax works on private party sales....?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250