Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 10,399
    This is for your DI engine gurus. How come my near 80K mile Grand Marquis has squeaky clean oil and my 13K mile Buick the oil looks extremely dirty after only 1K miles after a change?

I'm not sure that DI is responsible; I change the oil in my DI Mazdaspeed 3 every 7,500 miles and the UOA results have been excellent(using Mobil 1 5W-30).
    Back in the early '80s I owned a 1974 Monte Carlo as well as a 1979 Plymouth (Mitsubishi) Arrow 2.6 GT. The Chevy's oil would look clean for almost 3000 miles while the Mitsu's oil would turn jet black within 200 miles after an oil change- and both cars got the same oil: Valvoline 5W-30.
    Go figure....

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport / 2014 M235i / 1999 Wrangler / 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2016 i3 REX/2009 Cooper Clubman Son's: 2009 328i

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 11,389
    I know Sirius/Xm is a favorite recurring theme here on SFTSF. Back in 2011, my Dad (who turned 67 yesterday) bought a lifetime subscription for his (then) 2010 Tahoe & my Mom's 2011 Cayenne. A few months later he traded his 2010 Tahoe in for a shiny, new 2011 Tahoe. I called up Sirius/XM to transfer over the lifetime subscription. They told me that the new 2011 Tahoe has a 12 month trial subscription. Trial subscriptions cannot be cancelled, but to call back when the trial subscription is up and they will transfer it over with no problem.

Fast forward to February 21, 2013. I call up & tell them I want my lifetime subscription to pick up when my trial subscription runs out.

"Sir, we have no record of you having another lifetime subscription other than in your wife's 2011 Cayenne."

I gave them the 2010 Tahoe's VIN, my AMEX card. Nothing. I dig up a piece of paper with the old radio ID & finally they see that MY DAD'S lifetime subscription was cancelled by someone else. Re-Instating it should not be a problem. We'll get back to you in 7-10 business days.

I call up about 4:15 pm. Speak to one guy. Tell him the story. Give him both radio IDs. He puts me on hold. "Sorry sir, lifetime subscriptions on built in radios are not transferrable."

Really? Nobody ever told me that. May I please speak to a supervisor?

I get put on hold. A woman picks up the phone. I tell her the story. She puts me on hold. Tells me she's sorry, but lifetime subscrptions are not transferrable.

I tell her that I never cancelled the subscription and I'm still alive. If she won't transfer, then just give me a new lifetime subscription free of charge.

"Sorry sir, we cannot do that."

Ma'am. Don't be sorry. If you cannot transfer my lifetime to my new radio, then credit me the lifetime subscription minus the 13 months I used it.

"We will not issue you a new lifetime subscription for free. If you'd like, you can purchase a new lifetime subscription for $799."

WHAT! What country are you in?

"I am located in Cairo, Egypt."

I am then told that she will not put me on the phone with anybody else & that she is the shift manager. I tell her to transfer me to someone in The United States.

"We don't have any offices in the United States."

CLICK

So to sum this up, after a full hour, this expletive hangs up on me.

I call back & am on hold right now for what appears to be just over 24 minutes.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Infiniti G37x Q40 AWD

• breldbreld Posts: 3,362
    I'm laughing, but I share your frustration. Our various purchases over the past year required phone time with Sirius/XM to transfer accounts, or add new ones. I can't say I've ever had a pleasant experience with Sirius.

It's common knowledge that you can generally get a deal better than the standard subscription rates, but that requires getting on the phone with them - it's almost not worth it. :)

2017 Durango R/T - 2017 Civic Type R - 2016 V60 Polestar - 2012 Mini Hardtop

• steverstever Posts: 52,683
    edited March 2013
    While twiddling your thumbs on hold, there's always Twitter and Facebook.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 42,211
    Wow, what a mess. I was able to transfer the remaining 7 months on my old subscription without a problem, but the phone call did take about 30 minutes. I am 99% sure I was talking to someone in the Philippines, FWIW. More job creators in action.
    Sorry guys. I'm so mad that I thought this was STORIES FROM THE SALES FRONTLINES. We often speak about the evils of Sirius/XM!

edited March 2013
    I'm sure the folks following the XM & Sirius Satellite Radio discussion would be interested in your story too.
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 2,006
    Well, I didn't ask how they repaired it but the tire was removed from the car while it was being repaired.

I noticed that there is a soft purple pluggy thing where the repair was done. :sick:

Mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 2,006
    Having a salesperson hang up on me would have sent me through the ceiling too.

Just for the record, I will NEVER pay for radio. I have it for life on the Bentley (so I guess I kinda paid for it) but the Honda comes with XM for 3 months..... the '07 Honda came with XM for a year.

I have CD's and an Ipod.... no need to pay for radio.

Mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 4,215
    Absolutely agree...have the kids iPods and plenty of cd's but I'll admit, I love it when I do get a car with sat radio but it's not a deal breaker as long as I've got music! Driving and music go hand in hand for me...just like peanut butter & jelly...they're just meant to be together!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

• rae52rae52 Posts: 103
    Hey Sandman!

I just moved from Jersey to Boynton Beach six months ago; been reading your critiques {find them fascinating}. How can I get a gig like that? I'm retired also! Since I cannot post my email address let me know how we can get together on this - ok--thanks

Rich
    You can try marking your email public in your Profile, although it doesn't always "take" due to some odd bug.
  • rae52rae52 Posts: 103
    Steve, I tried your suggestion but the software refused; any other ideas/suggestions?
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,101
    I third that emotion. 27 "terrestrial" radio presets, six cd changer, ipod and usb inputs. Sorry, I ain't payin' for radio, either. Oh, yeah. And a cassette player in the 'ol Lexus! Hey, hey, my, my. Rock and Roll will never die!

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 4,215
    I still have cassettes somewhere in the house. I do love channels 6, 7 &8 but not gonna pay for it unless the price was such where it was a no brainer. Have no problem with my current playlists and the shuffle feature is great for me as I like to be surprised on the next song and don't ever look at what's up...makes for a better ride.

two trips today, Lauderdale to Ft. Myers and then West Palm back to F.M. Should be a nice day and hoping to get cars I've never driven before!

The Sleepy Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 66,664
    .. I am such a rookie.. posted this in the wrong discussion... ;)

Sold the '87 BMW.. gets picked up tonight... that's two cars in six weeks..

Shopping hard now... just two cars for three drivers...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Your computer must have a flashing red light above it, going off along with an alarm. RED ALERT! :D
    Funny thing, when I migrated my old subscription to the new car, it made their system think I canceled my account, and I have received cheap offers - one was like $4/month for 6 months. I think when my subscription is up, I will hint that I want to cancel, and see what kind of offer I get. It has worked with Comcast when I mentioned it.

I feel dumb paying for radio, but most Seattle area stations aren't too hot (we don't even have an oldies station anymore), and I like the surprise of what will be played next rather than knowing the songs in my digital collection.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 11,000
    I've heard that people really like the fact you can listen to the radio coast-to-coast and not lose signal. That aspect is appealing to me (if true), but I'm also not really an "audiophile" when it comes to car stereos, so static and station-hunting doesn't bother me much.
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
    Oh yeah, it is nice taking a cross-state road trip with no interruption, or renting a car on the other side of the country and knowing the stations. I am not an audiophile either, but I am a little picky about what I listen to while driving - not a fan of 21st century pop and some other formats.

An issue I find here is that tree canopies seem to block signal.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    with no interruption

Not if you go through any tunnels. Satellite reception would be lost.

I go through a tunnel in Baltimore if I ever head north. In VA on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel if I'm on the shore.

Beautiful drive but the tolls are killer.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 5,620
    I really like the Alt Nation channel. I've heard a lot of new music that I wouldn't have heard on my Pandora stations. In my area, the FM stations are either Top 40 (but only the really clean Top 40 and never anything racy like Flo Rida), country music, or NPR.

It seems like Pandora is sometimes slow to incorporate new releases into their database, or to play them on my stations.
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    Not if you go through any tunnels. Satellite reception would be lost.

There are some canyons here in Colorado that are so deep that the satellite radio signal can be spotty. Glenwood Canyon (I-70) is one of them.
    I have "Lithium" in my presets, as I was young in the 90s. I also like the ambient electronic music, and the 80s/First Wave channels, and some oldies. Around my area, it is a lot of mainstream pop/easy listening/country/talk. Some highlights are an alternative station, one that plays a mix, a classic rock station, and others I don't care for.
    I can go from one end of WA to the other with hardly a tunnel. The trees are the biggest issue, especially in my area. Not a big problem.
    edited March 2013
    I've lost Campfire, RadioBlagon and Paxahau is dicey. The fun net radio ones come and go; hard to support the sites. Or the stream URL will change and you have to go hunting for it again. KCRW Eclectic is usually good. (Xwes, KSUA has been lousy lately. :shades: ).

Currently it's snowing for the second day in a row (over 10" so far) and it's 22°F out, so I'm listening to HawaiianRainbow.com. :shades:
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 6,467
    Lithium, 80s, 90s, classic vinyl and classic rewind are my favorites. Honorable mention goes to Octane (if I'm in that mood) and don't laugh.... Hair Nation.

The funny thing is Rewind/80s/Hair Nation are basically all 80s stations. My wife hates it all, lol

I was a Stern listener, but he lost me about a year ago. That show simply lost something without Artie. At least the Philly area has a decent morning show on the rock station (Preston and Steve 93.3)

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra

Funny thing. Howard is still fantastic & very witty. I too liked Artie. The thing about the show that I can't stand is the fact that Howard is OFF more than he is ON. 5 days a week became 4 days a week. 4 days became 3 days. And if there is ever a holiday, he's off the air for 2 weeks, not to mention his normal vacation. The time off ruins the continuity of the show along with the same callers who Howard puts on for his amusement (Eric the midget, Eric from Hoboken, King of all _____, Underdog Woman...)

• breldbreld Posts: 3,362
    Beautiful drive but the tolls are killer.

We don't have much in the way of toll roads here in Colorado, but the one major one we do have is the one I use to take my kids to school and pick them up from their mom's (and vice versa). $10 each way, so I'm easily paying a car payment a month in tolls.

But the alternative routes are killer traffic-wise, so it's worth it.

2017 Durango R/T - 2017 Civic Type R - 2016 V60 Polestar - 2012 Mini Hardtop

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    $10 each way, so I'm easily paying a car payment a month in tolls.

But the alternative routes are killer traffic-wise, so it's worth it.

Ouch!

The only time we use E-470 is when we go to the airport or the wife and daughter go to Southlands for shopping.

When I traveled for work, I was so pleased when the toll road opened and I could take it to DIA rather than 225-70-Pena Bl. At least I was able to expense the tolls.