Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,282
    That ZHP 'vert is really, really nice.

Not that I need one, of course.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,605
    edited February 2017
    One owner, low miles. Carfax supports this; regular dealer servicing since new. Owner says he has all records as well. Called the lot it is being consigned at. Guy there rates it a 8 to 9 cosmetically with no dings or scratches. Rates the interior the same. But no PPI or anything.

Hard to value this. Q is right, it is certainly high for an E46 that doesn't start with a M. It checks the boxes you'd normally want when looking for any car like this like buying from the original owner. Personally, I love the color combo and would like a convertible for a weekend car anyhow.

Sheesh, three and a half years ago, I lived two miles away from this car. That sure would have been easier...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

And by the way, I blame @Mr_Shiftright for some of this; he showed me a car on the I spotted a classic car thread a few weeks ago on sfbay craigslist. I don't think I've closed the tab since. Shifty!!

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279
    tifighter said:

OK guys, talk me out of of this one. I'm feeling itchy.

Make sure the rear window isn't separating from the soft top.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    tifighter said:
    One owner, low miles. Carfax supports this; regular dealer servicing since new. Owner says he has all records as well. Called the lot it is being consigned at. Guy there rates it a 8 to 9 cosmetically with no dings or scratches. Rates the interior the same. But no PPI or anything. Hard to value this. Q is right, it is certainly high for an E46 that doesn't start with a M. It checks the boxes you'd normally want when looking for any car like this like buying from the original owner. Personally, I love the color combo and would like a convertible for a weekend car anyhow. Sheesh, three and a half years ago, I lived two miles away from this car. That sure would have been easier...
    It'll cost $600 to truck. Make an offer on it. Worst they say is no...
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123
    tifighter said:

And by the way, I blame @Mr_Shiftright for some of this; he showed me a car on the I spotted a classic car thread a few weeks ago on sfbay craigslist. I don't think I've closed the tab since. Shifty!!

That's a pretty good price for a ZHP. Seems like most ZHP verts are automatics, so the stick is a bonus.

Personally, I don't want a convertible, but if you do, hard to beat that one. 90% of 3-series convertibles come with black interior, I think.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Car show today..

I was pretty impressed with the Alfa Romeo Guilia.
    They had a loaded TI model that stickered for $50K. Comparing it to the Jaguar XE, right next door at $55K, the Alfa wins, hands down.

Also, the new Miata RF with the folding targa panel is pretty cool.

And, as usual, massive sticker shock. A loaded CR-V Touring is over $35K (very nice looking, btw).
    The Focus ST with Recaro seats for $30K seems fairly priced.

Mustang GT with a stick and almost no options was $41K (just the way I'd want it).

BMW only had six vehicles, and five of them were electric or hybrid.

The Acura display looked kind of pitiful next to Lexus.

Mercedes was a no-show! :o

Land Rover Discovery, the cheapest model in their line-up, looks like a Suburban next to the Jaguar F-Pace. I would have guessed they were about the same size, before seeing them in person.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    nice thing about the CRV, is that the lower trim levels are very well equipped. I would be more than fine with an EX for more in the 27K range.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

nice thing about the CRV, is that the lower trim levels are very well equipped. I would be more than fine with an EX for more in the 27K range.

$28,935 for EX AWD

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I priced out a FWD I think. So we are both right! Still, at 29, for what cars list for now, still a reasonable price. especially once retail prices come down when supply ramps up.

so, I like this car. a whole bunch. well loaded up, love the colors. I could live with this one, if anyone wants to fire up a kickstarter.

http://www.eimports4less.com/detail-2016-mercedes~benz-c~class-certified_c300_4matic_awd_pano_camera_navi-used-16067046.html

Do you like that better than the previous model?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@stickguy - how is it that you always seem to find the blue over tan models?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    tifighter said:

I'm feeling itchy.

I wonder if there is a cream for that? :D

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    stickguy said:

so, I like this car. a whole bunch. well loaded up, love the colors. I could live with this one, if anyone wants to fire up a kickstarter.

http://www.eimports4less.com/detail-2016-mercedes~benz-c~class-certified_c300_4matic_awd_pano_camera_navi-used-16067046.html

@Michaell: The guy has an eye for this sort of thing! Don't discourage him. ;)

I can't help but find it odd that this dealer does not do interior photos.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Sat in a silver over black 2013 328i at our Honda store. 39.3K on the clock and asking about $19,452 for it. Seats were just o k, not sports, but since I sit on a special cushion, could live with it. Vehicle felt a bit big but coming from a Golf, most are bigger. Liked the ergodynamics, everything was within reach though didn't like that center dial to control stuff, looked a bit wonkey. The miles aren't that bad, about 10k/year and in the cloudy weather, looked pretty good. New sneakers all around, matching B. F. Goodyears and it has the star alloys. All in all, looks like all other 328i's I've been looking at though would love the light blue over beige combo. Luckily, there's a large selection down here so timing is on my side since I don't want to purchase right now. Another 1.5 years would be my sweet spot, mid to late 2018, which would make a 2016 model almost perfect.
    Really need to take a longish test drive in one since it's been almost 2 years since I drove my first 328i, but could see owning one in a couple of years.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    breld said:

@Marcothecarguy1986 - I saw that Durango SRT on C&D's website. Now my recently acquired Durango, without even the Hemi option, feels inadequate!

breld...be secure in your manhood! ;)
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    edited February 2017
    kyfdx said:

Car show today..

They had a loaded TI model that stickered for $50K. Comparing it to the Jaguar XE, right next door at $55K, the Alfa wins, hands down.

And, as usual, massive sticker shock. A loaded CR-V Touring is over $35K (very nice looking, btw).

Mustang GT with a stick and almost no options was $41K (just the way I'd want it).

Land Rover Discovery, the cheapest model in their line-up, looks like a Suburban next to the Jaguar F-Pace. I would have guessed they were about the same size, before seeing them in person.

OK...now I'm bummed. Jag is on "my list". I had heard since the two Benz dealers on the Cincinnati side were just purchased, and was still sort of absorbing that transaction. The one on the KY side (Ft Mitchell) didn't want to foot the entire bill for the car show. So, no Mercedes.

Acura has been sort of like that for the last few car shows. I don't even know why they show up if that's the kind of showing they're putting out there.

I can't see myself jumping from my Caddy experience (frying pan) into an Alfa experience (fire?). I'm even a little skittish about Jaguar.

The more I think about it, the Accord is looking better and better.

Walt...what are you seeing the '17 Touring Accords going for around these parts?
    tifighter said:

So far, this is going about how I expected... ;)

And you expected what, exactly? What's not to like (except for price, as Q points out)? I dunno...pull up to this guy's house with 65 hundred dollar bills and see where that gets you!
    Michaell said:

@stickguy - how is it that you always seem to find the blue over tan models?

I look for them! I like it, and it's my wife's favorite color combo so makes an easy sell.

kyfdx said:

Do you like that better than the previous model?

Everything but lack of a spare, and the price! I do love the old style but the new ones are a step up. Interior especially. And I like the 2.0t motor.

But if buying now, would probably get a 2014 model and save the $15k up front. Or wait until December when one like this drops into the 20s.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,985

kyfdx said:

Car show today..

OK...now I'm bummed. Jag is on "my list". I had heard since the two Benz dealers on the Cincinnati side were just purchased, and was still sort of absorbing that transaction. The one on the KY side (Ft Mitchell) didn't want to foot the entire bill for the car show. So, no Mercedes.

Acura has been sort of like that for the last few car shows. I don't even know why they show up if that's the kind of showing they're putting out there.

I can't see myself jumping from my Caddy experience (frying pan) into an Alfa experience (fire?). I'm even a little skittish about Jaguar.

Walt...what are you seeing the '17 Touring Accords going for around these parts?
    As good of a car that the current Accord is, do you want a soon to be last generation when the new '18 Accord comes out? From what I've read, no V6 for '18, so that is something to consider. If you were to buy a '17 Accord you would get two thumbs up from me. I've been delighted with mine, probably the best 'overall' balance of features, performance, low cost of ownership car I've owned.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    It is, but I don't think it will feel luxe enough for you. You should drive one and see what you think.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,945

I predict you will hate the Accord within 6 months and/or you will be the one guy whose Honda spits its drivetrain out on the highway. ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,092
    But think of the fun here as Honda's reputation gets shredded and the Greek chorus chimes in saying how evil they are!! B)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

sda said:

kyfdx said:

Car show today..

As good of a car that the current Accord is, do you want a soon to be last generation when the new '18 Accord comes out? From what I've read, no V6 for '18, so that is something to consider. If you were to buy a '17 Accord you would get two thumbs up from me. I've been delighted with mine, probably the best 'overall' balance of features, performance, low cost of ownership car I've owned.
    SDA....that would be one of the MAJOR reasons I'd go with a '17 over an '18...the V6. That V6 is quite sweet. I've driven a version (previous) of that engine in my Acuras. It's smooth and offers plenty of power.

I think I'm just so weary of having expensive cars that are so unreliable in my stable, I just don't want to fool around with those any more.

The Touring I looked at a couple of weeks ago couldn't come any more loaded. Leather, sunroof, blind spot warning, lane keep, radar cruise, Apple Car Play, LED headlights/tail lights, Nav, etc. And, I probably could swing a deal on one given it's the last model year of this platform.

The Touring is pretty darned nice. Can't imagine wanting any other feature that it doesn't have. As much of an Acura fan as I am, I don't know that I want to deal with the potential transmission issue in their V6 version. The 6-speed in the Accord may be down a gear or two given the latest transmissions. But, it's tried a true (and quite smooth in operation).

What kind of deal did you swing, if you don't mind me asking? I usually do a bunch of research, but right now I'm just trying to get a feel for what they're selling for. Also can't remember if you posted pics...if not, could you?

Thx!
    Have you thought about a Lexus? Stellar reliability. Maybe a little nicer interior.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Infiniti is historically reliable. Just sayin.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I've been meaning to update everyone here on the status of the GTI - I meant to do this weeks ago, but obviously as a bit preoccupied with more important things.

First, the GTI has been completely problem free since the end of November. Driving normally, fuel mileage has returned to within normal limits after they fixed the sender unit - basically the car that I bought. Sam has not been in it yet, because it was too hard for my wife to get in and out of it post surgery - hoping to change that this weekend because he LOVES riding in the car and his car seat so far.

Second, I had been working with a lemon law attorney, but they felt that the odds of my vehicle being bought back under the letter of lemon law were between slim and none given the ambiguous nature of the issues I was having. They noted it wasn't impossible, but it is not a case they would typically bring. They instead filed a letter directly with VW requesting assistance. I accepted a settlement this morning for my troubles (it wouldn't make me whole if I traded out of the car, but it would get me close enough) and I'm happy to put this to bed once and for all.

The way I figure it, I'll drive the GTI for as long as it remains problem free (or my CCBA kicks in) and then flip it.
    suydam said:

Have you thought about a Lexus? Stellar reliability. Maybe a little nicer interior.

Yeah...have thought about the Lexus...and the Infiniti. I liked the IS 350 F Sport. I'm not a huge guy, but I did find the IS a bit claustrophobic. Drove really well, though....very nice interior, and there's always the "toyota reliability" factor.

I've test driven the Infiniti Q50 a couple of times. Unless they've changed the current steering system, it's not on my short list. But, if they have (does anyone know?), the rest of the car was nice.

28FF....good for you on the GTI. I'm just starting to engage a lawyer on my CTS (again). I'm looking for something to drive as a replacement. It's going to take at least a couple of months of back and forth in the courts.
    edited February 2017

suydam said:

Yeah...have thought about the Lexus...and the Infiniti. I liked the IS 350 F Sport. I'm not a huge guy, but I did find the IS a bit claustrophobic. Drove really well, though....very nice interior, and there's always the "toyota reliability" factor.

I've test driven the Infiniti Q50 a couple of times. Unless they've changed the current steering system, it's not on my short list. But, if they have (does anyone know?), the rest of the car was nice.

what about the GS Fsport?

The Q50 Red Sport supposedly has a different steering setup.

sda said:

kyfdx said:

Car show today..

SDA....that would be one of the MAJOR reasons I'd go with a '17 over an '18...the V6. That V6 is quite sweet. I've driven a version (previous) of that engine in my Acuras. It's smooth and offers plenty of power.

I think I'm just so weary of having expensive cars that are so unreliable in my stable, I just don't want to fool around with those any more.

The Touring I looked at a couple of weeks ago couldn't come any more loaded. Leather, sunroof, blind spot warning, lane keep, radar cruise, Apple Car Play, LED headlights/tail lights, Nav, etc. And, I probably could swing a deal on one given it's the last model year of this platform.

The Touring is pretty darned nice. Can't imagine wanting any other feature that it doesn't have. As much of an Acura fan as I am, I don't know that I want to deal with the potential transmission issue in their V6 version. The 6-speed in the Accord may be down a gear or two given the latest transmissions. But, it's tried a true (and quite smooth in operation).

What kind of deal did you swing, if you don't mind me asking? I usually do a bunch of research, but right now I'm just trying to get a feel for what they're selling for. Also can't remember if you posted pics...if not, could you?

Thx!
    @graphicguy - on my recent trip to Cincinnati I had an opportunity to ride in an Accord Touring - about 10 minutes to Skyline Chili and back. I was impressed with the car and how quiet it was. I'm a big fan of the Honda V6 engines - had one in our '05 Saturn VUE. And, I like the traditional 6-speed auto vs. the CVT that is becoming more and more common.

I think you'll find it has 90% of the luxury and features for 60% of the price. And, as you've noted, they are dead reliable. Check out the Accord Prices Paid thread; there might be some folks in there with pricing on the Touring:

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/42361/honda/accord/2017-honda-accord-prices-paid-and-buying-experience#latest

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I'm convinced Honda's talent lies in making a car that impresses just enough for a test drive.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @tifighter -

I'd jump on that ZHP if it is as advertised (and you like it). No doubt Q has the right numbers on it from an auction perspective, but I think these ZHPs are one of the few cars that "defy" the books, especially for a low-mileage one at this point. The number of those available are only getting fewer.

I bought my ZHP convertible a little under 2 years ago - 75k miles, manual trannie and in great condition. Arguably, I overpaid for it at $15,000, but I knew how rare it was to find a low mileage, single owner example, much less close by. And I sold it a year later for $13,000, so certainly didn't lose my pants on it.

At 55k miles at $10,500? If it were closer to me, I'd pick it up myself. I'm surprised it's still available.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

edited February 2017
    Did just notice from the pics on that ZHP that there's some tape at the 10 o'clock position on the steering wheel. May not be the biggest deal - you can certainly get a nice re-wrap on it, but it'll likely cost about $500.

And, not surprisingly, it's been posted over at the zhpmafia.com forums, so it'll start getting plenty of attention.

You got me looking again at ZHPs - this is a nice convertible near me, but with 81k miles (still low) and an automatic.

https://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/5997259869.html

I like the interior color, but with higher miles and the arguably less desirable transmission (though probably fine for a 'vert), they're asking $11,500.

This local sedan is ridiculous (price-wise).

https://cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/691264161/overview/?aff=share_text

85k miles, modded for track use, and they're asking $15,600.

Someone who wants those modification may ante up, but probably closer to $12k's.

Just sayin' - that blue vert in SF seems nice and reasonably priced when compared to other ZHPs.

qbrozen said:

I'm convinced Honda's talent lies in making a car that impresses just enough for a test drive.

I'm not sure what you mean. I've had Honda's that have lasted a really long time. They don't have parts that fall off or break. They wear pretty well. And the more I drove my Honda the more I liked it. It just eventually was too large a car for our needs.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    kyfdx said:

Car show today..

I was at the Portland auto show a couple of weeks ago, Cadillac was a no-show there which I found odd.

I agree on the CR-V, great vehicle but the sticker shock was present for me too. In fact I saw a CR-V and RDX this morning in traffic, hard to see why anyone would pick the RDX over the new CR-V.
    edited February 2017
    suydam said:

qbrozen said:

I'm not sure what you mean. I've had Honda's that have lasted a really long time. They don't have parts that fall off or break. They wear pretty well. And the more I drove my Honda the more I liked it. It just eventually was too large a car for our needs.
    Neither me nor my wife liked our Hondas (Accord for me, Pilot for her) after about 6 mos or so. YMMV, of course. Hondas sell boatloads of cars for a reason, so my opinion means absolute jack to them. I think, like GG, we just became used to a bit more real luxury. Hondas seem "good enough" until you live with them for a while, IMHO.

Michaell said:

sda said:

kyfdx said:

Car show today..

Thx!
    @graphicguy - on my recent trip to Cincinnati I had an opportunity to ride in an Accord Touring - about 10 minutes to Skyline Chili and back. I was impressed with the car and how quiet it was. I'm a big fan of the Honda V6 engines - had one in our '05 Saturn VUE. And, I like the traditional 6-speed auto vs. the CVT that is becoming more and more common.

I think you'll find it has 90% of the luxury and features for 60% of the price. And, as you've noted, they are dead reliable. Check out the Accord Prices Paid thread; there might be some folks in there with pricing on the Touring:

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/42361/honda/accord/2017-honda-accord-prices-paid-and-buying-experience#latest
    Thanks, Michaell! You had yourself one darned fine lunch!!!!!!! ;)

I'm just thinking out loud right now. I know once I pull the trigger on the Cadillac legal route, the loaner car is going to go away. Plotting my next car move.

I looked at the link. Geographic areas yeild different resutls. I'm thinking there's trunk money on the Accord given its the last model year. ~$34K MSRP...thinking somewhere between $31K-$32K purchase price.

Kind of enamored with that C Class deal I saw at Costco....$49K MSRP to $41K Costco cost.

Q...I haven't really looked at the Lexus GS350 F Sport. That's worth taking a gander.

Going to car show tonight. We'll see what that yields.
    So far, this is going about how I expected... ;)
    And you expected what, exactly? What's not to like (except for price, as Q points out)? I dunno...pull up to this guy's house with 65 hundred dollar bills and see where that gets you!
    Well that's the challenge; it's two states away. Probably won't be just stopping by after work. Then again, who doesn't like a challenge?

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    corvette said:

tifighter said:

Love the color. Steering wheel looks rough.
    Good Carfax---one owner, car lived in Berkeley, serviced at Weatherford BMW, which is a good dealer.

That explains the low mileage--the traffic is so bad in the East Bay you can't go anywhere :)

@tifighter please buy this ZHP and put me out of my misery...
    edited February 2017
    @tifighter

Definitely more of a challenge than one that is close by, but here's what I'd do:

Consider posting here to see if someone is willing to go check the car out for you:

zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?4294-I-Need-Someone-To-Check-Out-A-BMW-330-ZHP-For-Me/page69

Lot of enthusiasts there who would likely be happy to go drive a ZHP and let you know their impressions.

Or, plenty of services where they'll go check out a car for you for $100 or so.

Once you get comfortable with the condition, just a matter of negotiating price and arranging shipping. Lot of choices out there for shipping companies - probably cost $500-$1,000 ($1k at the top end).

But I really don't think that one is sticking around - if you're serious, I'd give them a deposit with a purchase pending the outcome of an inspection.

Easy peasy! :)

You're welcome,

@breld the enabler

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,430
    @Mr_Shiftright - A friend of mine from college recently posted on Facebook that he bought himself an '06 911 C4S Cabriolet with a 6-Speed.  Only 12K miles.  Is this one of those IMS ticking time bombs?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yep.

Porsche Intermediate Shaft (IMS) Bearing 101

Typical IMS Failure Mileage: Above 40, 000 vehicle miles
    Vehicles Affected: 1997-2006 Porsche Vehicles with M96 engine (Also some 2007-2008)

It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when".

The "when" varies wildly depending on many factors, including frequency of oil changes, tune of the engine, fuel mixture, how the car is driven, and luck.

Wait, it gets worse. In MY 2006-2008, engine disassembly is required to replace the IMS bearing with an improved and upgraded bearing.

So your friend could make it only to 13K, or he could go 150K or 200K. His odds are roughly 1 in 10 of catastrophic engine failure if he does everything right.

By all means, encourage him to cut is oil change intervals in half.

PS: Don't shoot the messenger B)
    Love the color. Steering wheel looks rough.
    Good Carfax---one owner, car lived in Berkeley, serviced at Weatherford BMW, which is a good dealer. That explains the low mileage--the traffic is so bad in the East Bay you can't go anywhere :)
    My wife used to have to go from Richmond to Oakland a few times a week when we lived there. I think it's 5 or 6 miles in a straight line; and about 60-90 minutes by car.