Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389

benjaminh said:

@Mr_Shiftright : Given your mixed experience with your Mini have you considered getting something different?

Or have you considered a new Mini? They're better now, I think? Mini of San Francisco has some good deals....

https://www.minisf.com/

I think I'm done with Mini, yeah. I do think the new ones are better (how could they be worse?) so I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying a new one, or new-ish one still under warranty.

My "problem" is finding a car equally as fun to drive (for me) that isn't going to require me writing a check for $25,000, like for a nice used Cayman S.

Right now, I'm trying to track down a Saab convertible with manual transmission that isn't black or isn't beat to death. This is actually rather difficult. I'd be willing to put some money into one. I might consider an older BMW M car of some sort, also manual trans of course.

I still miss my Porsche 928--that car had some real character. A big man's GT.
    I’ve searched for a Saab Turbo Convertible without the GM DNA as well. It’s getting tough. What I’ve found are garage queens with 15k miles and a dear price or dogs that would require an infusion of cash I’m not comfortable with.

Don’t know your budget but there should be some good choices for an M Car out there. They tended to be a little better cared for than a std BMW. At least for part of their life.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    edited July 2018
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556
    I would think if that Benz was thrown on BaT it would fetch more than the asking price.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Boy this looks clean.

BaT 300ZX

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    not very quick in N/A form, though.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    fintail said:
    Do you have room in your condo for Fritz the mechanic to move in along with it? :D

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    @fintail - road trip?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited July 2018

....My "problem" is finding a car equally as fun to drive (for me) that isn't going to require me writing a check for $25,000....

What about a 2018 Golf SE in fire engine red with a blond interior? Available at an almost local Sacramento dealer for c.$23k—just below your limit. Loaded with the latest tech. Better mpg than your c. 2008 Mini (and the VW runs on regular, saving you even more). My guess is that the 0-60 time is about the same as your Mini. Room for four plus luggage. Manual transmission. Rare car—in fact I've never seen one of these on the road in this color. VW will finance at 2.9 for 5 years. 6 year/72k bumper-to-bumper warranty. German engineering means this is almost a c.1970 BMW 2002 for today. Too practical for you, probably?

https://vw.niello.com/new/Volkswagen/2018-Volkswagen-Golf-b7b4e7b40a0e0aea444e2d7db55d33a4.htm

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796

@fintail - road trip?

Oh, come on! Seattle to Bend? That barely qualifies as a road trip!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    kyfdx said:

@cdnpinhead has a stick-shift TSX, I think.

Yes, you are correct, and it's still on the original clutch at 142K miles (but the MPG computer is still lying).

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited July 2018
    fintail said:
    Price needs to be cut in half on that one. We aren't in Des Deutschen Vaterland.
  • Options
    I'm open to ideas :)

@fintail - road trip?

• Options
    If you know of any legitimately pristine no-needs 30K mile W126s for 7K, let me know.

Price needs to be cut in half on that one.

• Options
    A car like this is a Model T compared to some of the following models. It probably would be a fine Sunday driver/show car, just with a dear maintenance schedule, and thirst.
    ab348 said:

Do you have room in your condo for Fritz the mechanic to move in along with it? :D

• Options
    I've done it a couple times - only needed one stop for the loo. I like that area, mellow place to visit, but best to go in the off-season between summer and skiing.
    xwesx said:

Oh, come on! Seattle to Bend? That barely qualifies as a road trip!

• Options

A little more expensive, still requires a drive to pick it up in Bend, OR: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/2002-saab-viggen-convertable/6643263822.html

WTH? All Saab convertibles with manual transmissions are in Oregon? I might have to see if I can find someone up there to look it over for me. I'd hate to bring the truck all the way up there only to turn around empty-handed.

The red one has a cracked windshield. I wonder if those are available?

Pretty hard to avoid GM DNA in a Saab unless you want a really old one---been there, done that. I think the 9-3 could be hammered into a very reliable car with some artful changes.
  • Options

A little more expensive, still requires a drive to pick it up in Bend, OR: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/2002-saab-viggen-convertable/6643263822.html

WTH? All Saab convertibles with manual transmissions are in Oregon? I might have to see if I can find someone up there to look it over for me. I'd hate to bring the truck all the way up there only to turn around empty-handed.

Pretty hard to avoid GM DNA in a Saab unless you want a really old one---been there, done that. I think the 9-3 could be hammered into a very reliable car with some artful changes.
    According to the shop I use, most of the parts for that era of Saab are available. The hardest thing to source is the wheels. There are a couple of well regarded Saab shops up that way, you might be able to get seller to take them for a PPI?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Hah. Figures!

I was just writing a note to say, "speaking of PPI, the guy interested in my Q7 should be here in about 15 minutes to take it for a PPI." Then, he calls in the middle of that and says that he wants to put it on hold because he received news about his current vehicle and it might be that a suspected major repair it needed was not so major after all. He says that, while he loves my car, it really is in his best interest to look at fixing his current car before taking on debt to but a newer one (their current vehicle is a 2004 VW Touareg V6).

Thinking like that makes so much sense. Darn it. :p

That said, I have mixed feelings. When I met him and his wife last night (they were very nice people) I could tell right away that he is a smoker. I hate to knowingly condemn anything I have owned to that sort of future. Although, if the money is in my pocket, I have to just remember that it is what it is.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Sure, you can wipe your tears with $100 bills. :p
  • Options
    edited July 2018

According to the shop I use, most of the parts for that era of Saab are available. The hardest thing to source is the wheels. There are a couple of well regarded Saab shops up that way, you might be able to get seller to take them for a PPI?
    Ohhh, this is scary. I've never EVER bought a car on the blind before.

I actually do PPIs myself, so I have a certain standard.

A friend of mine bought an Avanti II recently on a PPI. The inspector was pretty thorough, but forgot to mention that the car absolutely stunk like hell inside. Maybe the inspector was nasally challenged? Whatever the case, my friend was way less than pleased with this situation. I dread stuff like that--things coming in from left field that nobody thought about.

I'm pretty clear on one concept about used cars, which has always served me well. Either I buy a car with some needs at a cheap price and invest in it, or I buy a car without needs for a premium price.

What I don't want is to buy a car with needs for a premium price. :'(

Any Saab convertible selling for $8K had better look like the palace of Versailles.
  • Options
    I'm terrible judge of these things, but if it were closer I could take a look. Bend is just too far - Tacoma or North I could do.

There is a certain premium that SaabNet cars command mostly because it is an enthusiast site. But everything is negotiable.

My car was listed there and I paid nowhere near what it was listed at. But I bought emotionally as you well know.
  • Options
    THIS ONE I like: 65,000 miles, neat as a pin. Pricey, as you say. It's in Colorado, though...hmmm....I do have a nephew in the area, but he's into Harleys, so his filters may be set to default.

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/class/ci.php3?ph=photos/15574/1

• Options
    fintail said:

If you know of any legitimately pristine no-needs 30K mile W126s for 7K, let me know.

Price needs to be cut in half on that one.

There is no such things as a "no needs" W 126. At best, you get to pick the needs you wish to correct.

I dunno, these strike me as old man cars. You really need a cigar and big butt to drive one of these properly B)
  • Options
    edited July 2018

THIS ONE I like: 65,000 miles, neat as a pin. Pricey, as you say. It's in Colorado, though...hmmm....I do have a nephew in the area, but he's into Harleys, so his filters may be set to default.

Is it close to our friends @Michaell and @breld?
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    THIS ONE I like: 65,000 miles, neat as a pin. Pricey, as you say. It's in Colorado, though...hmmm....I do have a nephew in the area, but he's into Harleys, so his filters may be set to default. http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/class/ci.php3?ph=photos/15574/1
    Could be my phone but when I zoom in on that driver's seat, it ain't so pretty

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316

Is it close to our friends @Michaell and @breld?
    @breld is closer to Golden than I am.

Plus, I am a lousy judge of what's good or bad on a used car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Well that kind of kills your job interview :p
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Hmmm.... I downloaded the picture, and zoomed in on my 24 inch monitor. Not pristine, but certainly not a dealbreaker. And for a used convertible, definitely in "better than average" condition.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Some have more needs than others. Still not going to find a 30K minter for 7K, or really not for much less than this car. It is priced right at the level where it wouldn't be worth the time to flip it on BaT.

Being an old man's car isn't always bad. It's not pretending to be anything else.

There is no such things as a "no needs" W 126. At best, you get to pick the needs you wish to correct.

I dunno, these strike me as old man cars. You really need a cigar and big butt to drive one of these properly B)

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316

@breld is the expert in the region, and @jpp5862 knows what to look for on used cars better than I do.

I'm not ashamed to admit it ...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    benjaminh said:

@graphicguy : I know it's a big V-6, SH-AWD, etc, but what kind of mpg are you getting city and highway? Also, I like the design of the push-button transmission controls, but most reviews have been mixed at best. What's your experience with the push button transmission?

I’m getting around 21-22 MPG in start and go traffic around town. Plus, the area where @kyfdx and I live, is very hilly without much flat areas. When I first moved into/built my house 20 years ago, it was mostly farms around me with not much in the way of traffic lights or stop signs. Now, it seems every intersection has one or the other. So, there aren’t many stretches where I can really go a mile or so without stopping.

When I first bought the car, I was getting between 18-19 MPG in the same area. Once I hit about 5K miles, my MPG started to get progressively better. I’ve got 11K miles on the odo, now. And, the MPG continues to improve.

Doesn’t help I run around in “Sport” or “Sport+” always, though.

Just took a trip to see my sister in Indy...about 140 miles. I got 32 MPG with the cruise set on 75 MPH the whole way. I’m pleased with that.

In mixed driving (still more city than interstate) I’m getting around 22-23 MPG, which is what the sticker said I would get.

At first, the push button trans was a little awkward. Now, it’s 2nd nature. I get in. Hit start. Pull the lever for reverse. Or, Push the big round button for drive. I don’t even think about it, anymore. Touching the accelerator automatically releases the parking brake.

When I shut the car down, I don’t put it in park first. I turn the car off (which automatically puts the trans in Park. And then just lift up the parking brake lever. Again, no reason to even look to do it.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Michaell said:

@breld is the expert in the region, and @jpp5862 knows what to look for on used cars better than I do.

I think between the three of us, we could do a fair job of assessing the condition. Though you'd have to get some assurance that @jpp5862 doesn't buy it out from under you. :)

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    Shifty, got a link to the ad for that blue one? What are they asking? I love the colors on that one. I could live with it, for the right price.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Could be my phone but when I zoom in on that driver's seat, it ain't so pretty

I was going to make the same observation. The wear on that seat is intense!
  • Options
    breld said:

Michaell said:

I think between the three of us, we could do a fair job of assessing the condition. Though you'd have to get some assurance that @jpp5862 doesn't buy it out from under you. :)
    Sounds like a great reason for a short trip in the Touareg or Q7....!
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    breld said:

Michaell said:

Now there's a sitcom I'd watch ;)

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    edited July 2018
    breld said:

Boy this looks clean.

BaT 300ZX

I do like that Z. Only problem, the trans was swapped from an auto to a manual. Not sure how capable the owner is at doing such a swap. But, it ain’t easy (at least for me). All sorts of issues can crop up. Nice looking car, though. Looks like it was kept well.

Just drove my son’s GTI. He left it with me (so he could park it in my garage) while he’s traveling for work this week. Decided to take it to run errands tonight.

Dang....no doubt....GTIs have to provide more smiles per dollar than any other car out there. Yeah, there’s a little turbo lag. But once it spools up, it’s easy to break the wheels loose. But, the clutch is light. The shifter is simply a “snickety-snick” affair. The brakes are a little grabby, but they work great. Steering is light (at least for my taste) but easy to predict. It’s a little buzzy and the ride is choppy compared to my car. And, mine corners better but that’s because I’m driving all 4 wheels.

GTI is so dang tossable. It’s just so cool.

Makes me wonder what a Type R would be like. Just more of everything?
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    If I had never driven my 2er-and if the local VW dealers weren't total nitwits-I might well be interested in a Golf R. Unfortunately I've been spoiled by the combination of RWD and a motor that makes maximum torque from 1300-4500 rpm. I guess I'm just a hooligan at heart; as I've said, the only cars I'd consider trading it for are the M2 and the Giulia Quadrifoglio.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    fintail said:

Some have more needs than others. Still not going to find a 30K minter for 7K, or really not for much less than this car. It is priced right at the level where it wouldn't be worth the time to flip it on BaT.

Being an old man's car isn't always bad. It's not pretending to be anything else.

Fair enough--I'm jes' sayin' you have to leave plenty of room for repairs and surprises. He'll probably get his price eventually--narrow buyer niche but patience will probably work for him. It looks like a nice piece but it's a risky purchase (never deterred me--I should talk, right?) :p
  • Options
    stickguy said:

Shifty, got a link to the ad for that blue one? What are they asking? I love the colors on that one. I could live with it, for the right price.

Oh, gee....I seem to have misplaced it..... :)
  • Options
    xwesx said:

@graphicguy

You can post photos directly to this site rather than using a hosting site and then hot-linking it. Just click on the photo icon, browse, and go from there.

Thanks. I'm feeling a bit like I should have my dues increased. As long as I've been a member here (at least 20 years, probably more), I can't seem to find the photo icon you speak of.

@pensfan83 ...I like that white. Really accents the black trim. Pretty car.
  • Options
    Photo icon looks like a drawing of some mountains

• Options
    @pensfan83 : Your white TLX looks very good. Thanks for the pix.
  • Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    Enjoyed reading everything above I agree with everyone about the pictures of your car to look good ha ha Hav enjoyed reading everything above I agree with everyone about the pictures of your car to look good ha ha 
  • Options
    White over red TLX was pretty sharp. Nice contrast.

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

xwesx said:

@graphicguy

You can post photos directly to this site rather than using a hosting site and then hot-linking it. Just click on the photo icon, browse, and go from there.

Thanks. I'm feeling a bit like I should have my dues increased. As long as I've been a member here (at least 20 years, probably more), I can't seem to find the photo icon you speak of.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Got the notice from Honda today that the loan on the 2016 Accord that was traded in for the TLX has been paid in full. When I tried to look up the trade-in value for the Accord with the Edmunds calculator before I went in to the dealer, I marked that the condition of it was "Good." I felt it was somewhere between Good and Excellent, but somewhere on the Edmunds site I read that in fact only a very small percentage of cars are actually excellent.

Anyway, a few days after I got the TLX I looked on the dealer's site to see if they'd listed my Accord—and they had. In fact, I could tell they were listing it just as I was refreshing the page, as details and pix were added. The last thing that was added was the—to me—somewhat high asking price of $19,800. Seemed like a more or less fair mark up from the trade in value of 17k they gave me for it, but it definitely seemed the price for a car in excellent condition—and so maybe I'd underestimated that.

I figured it might take them a while to sell at that price, but low and behold....I went out to dinner with my elderly parents I was visiting in Seattle, and by the time I got back from dinner just a couple of hours later the listing was gone completely. Seems they'd sold it the very first day they listed it. Since they sold it so fast, I assume they got a really interested buyer who was willing to pay close to the asking price? But that's just a guess. Who knows. But the fact that they sold it so quickly made me think they were eager to move it because until they did they'd be carrying my loan on it. Anyway, it all worked out seemingly for them and for me. I got a car I like much better than my Accord for a nice price, and they were able to do well with my trade it seems....
  • Options
    $3,000 is pretty standard markup for dealers, and some go even higher. Sounds like they priced it to move quick. A good business model!

• Options
    I love that more often than not I'm seeing dealers price cars competitively to get them to go with minimal negotiations. And I don't mean the standard CarMax upcharge, either, which seems to take that a step further.
  • Options
    henryn said:

xwesx said:

@graphicguy

Thanks.

Sometimes the hardest thing to see is the thing that's obvious to everyone but you.