Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,238
    Yes, and I think the incentives will get better as they're (1) about to get a ton of lease returns and (2) trying to meet year-end sales goals (the same reason they offered the killer leases at the end of 2006).
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Drove down to Bellingham for some shopping over the weekend. Nice to drive, comfy and good on gas.

One annoying feature I find is the CVT. Seems like its only optimized for best fuel economy. The engine whine is annoying when you step on the gas and the accelearation is slow. You have to have patience, and lots of it with this engine/tranny combo. It's one of the reasons I'm not a big fan of CVTs. I'm still used to stepping on the gas like in the Benz, and taking off right away.

The only nice thing is that I can manually shift this tranny as it has 6 preset gear ratios to allow me to have some normal acceleration.

But it's just an observation, not really a complain, as it's a totally different kind of vehicle and I did buy it to save money, not to race it around town or the highway. It will just take me some time to get used to it.

Other observations: love the iPod hookup and the Sirius satellite radio. I have yet to put in a CD into the CD player. Stock speakers are better than average but not better than the Benz's (it had 6 speakers with a factory subwoofer, but they started to rattle anyways).

The only small complaint about the Sirius radio is that the quality does not sound like CD, but rather close to a FM radio.

Inside it has a ton of room to stretch out, expecially for the front passenger on long trips as the window is pushed far ahead. I like the flat folding front passenger seat to load up long items inside (haven't used it yet). The LED flashlight built into the rear is a handy too. And I'll be taking it camping so I'll find uses for the 115 volt outlet built into the front console.

I think I can live with it for now...... and I find a big weight taken off my shoulders as I don't have to wrry about something breaking everytime I hear a new noise like in the Benz. Peace of mind is sometimes priceless.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    I agree, the values of small anything are pumped up right now. Being a used Toyota doesn't help for getting a good deal used either. You can probably find a hatchback with a stick that has better MPG and just as much passenger/cargo room. Do you need the ground clearance or the light offroad abilities?
    But it's just an observation, not really a complain...

If betting is still open, I give it between 9-18 months...
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    I think I can live with it for now

I'm now fearing my 2-year bet may have been a gross overestimation.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Relax relax please lol :shades: I have no expectations for this Jeep wahtsoever other than getting me from point a to b reliably and without using much gas. That's what I got it for. :D

Being able to put up with a noisy powertrain (I listen to my music fairly loudly anyways so no big deal) is better than putting up with a fast lemon, at least for me.

Now, we've gone from merely "having a whine when you step on the gas" to having a "noisy powertrain" overall... This doesn't bode well! :P
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    the light offroad abilities, and the better driver's seat. I figured at California prices, $14K was an OK deal for a 50K mile car, and this one is in almost perfect condition. You certainly wouldn't peg it for 50K miles, maybe half that. And, I like the color.

I have looked around, and there are a number very close to this spec - around 50K, '03-04, AWD - all going for exactly the same money, plus $500 because all the others I have seen are automatics. I think the RAV must hold its value better than I knew.

Yes, new ones are into the low $20s, there's no stick available, and the thing has grown about two feet in all directions. I prefer the compact dimensions of the '01-'05. I could maybe look at Foresters, which are going to be a better deal than Toyotas anyway. But there are a lot less in the pool, so more limited availability.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• gouldngouldn Member Posts: 220
    I recommend the Forester too (since I own one after all), there are a few with 5 speeds around. In fact I remember seeing (I think) a green 03 stick with fairly low miles at Carlson in RWC this weekend while shopping. Seems to me you could pick it up for 12ish with some haggling....
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I might be falling off the wagon........

Had a neighbor offer us his 2007 Ford Taurus SEL in trade for our 97 F-250 and 2006 dump trailer plus a few other misc things that add up to a couple grand on top of the truck and trailer. We are hoping to make the deal tonight and get the car here.

It'll be a good commuter car for us.

See what happens when you guys think I'm cured??? LOL
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    We knew you;d be back!

And an 07 Taurus won't do the same thing as the Pilot. You'll be shopping again in no time!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    And an 07 Taurus won't do the same thing as the Pilot. You'll be shopping again in no time!

Who said the Pilot was going anywhere??? LOL We'll own the Taurus outright which will be nice, its a commuter for hubby, I'll still drive the Pilot. :P
    Oh, no. I got that part. I'm just thinking that one day hubby will need the Pilot and you'll be out in teh Taurus that day and just happen upon a car dealership with some time to kill...

I think you can figure the rest...
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    I guess this means the firewood business is done ?

Why is anyone say Taurus anymore I get a brain cramp and need to think about the year. Then I need to think if someone is trying to compensate for the name change and call it by the new name so that people understand what car it is. The one you are getting I assume is the new Taurus\500.
    I guess this means the firewood business is done ?

Why is anyone say Taurus anymore I get a brain cramp and need to think about the year. Then I need to think if someone is trying to compensate for the name change and call it by the new name so that people understand what car it is. The one you are getting I assume is the new Taurus\500.

Yeah, the business is done and it wasn't soon enough. We are burnt out beyond belief, even the thought of having to deal with business/firewood is a stress, after 9 years just stick a fork in, we're done!!

The guy could still change his mind, but I don't think so, its a sweet deal for him and us. The car is the old bodystyle Taurus which is fine, its a nice clean little car. Just going to get the miles run up on it and tossed away when its done, looks don't really matter. Hopefully we'll have the car tomorrow, but we'll see.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,657
    Have you looked at the current Sentra? It seems really tall to me, and it's as if they carved the footwells out to make them as wide as possible in a car that small (and the door panels looked thin, like a Japanese car from the 1980's). I think they tried really hard to make the car feel big. Anyway, it's a nice car to drive with the CVT.

I haven't investigated the Sentra any further than sitting in one at the auto shows. I'll admit though, I was impressed by the interior room. I fit fine up front, and there was enough room in the back for me, too. Even the Versa's an interesting little package. Now up front it seemed a little tight for me. Maybe a bit better than my uncle's '03 Corolla, but not much. It more than makes up for it in the back seat, but if I'm going to buy a car, it's the driver's seat I'm the most worried about!

There's a current-style Sentra in the parking lot at work. One day I really noticed how big it actually is, when it was parallel-parked at the curb, in front of a mid-80's Cutlass Supreme sedan. Both cars were a similar shade of green, so that might be why the comparison really caught my eye. Seeing them both in profile, side-by-side like that, really showed how big some smaller cars have gotten.

I just looked up the specs, and was kinda surprised at how big the Sentra actually is!
    Wheelbase 105.7
    Overall length 179.8
    Overall width 70.5
    Overall height 59.5

In comparison, that mid-80's Cutlass it was near was probably about 198" long, 108.1" wheelbase, maybe 54-55" tall, and 71-72" wide. Not a huge difference, really, except for overall length. But the Cutlass had a couple extra inches tacked on up front to make it look more upscale. A comparable 1978-83 Malibu sedan is about 5" shorter, and I think it was all up front with a longer header panel and longer bumper supports to make the front bumper stick out a corresponding amount. So there's 5" of waste right there. Plus, the Sentra doesn't have much rear overhang, getting most of its trunk volume from height rather than length.

I might have to check one out.
    I like the Forester idea a lot better. I think it would be a good bit more fun to drive than the RAV4, cheaper, and still pretty reliable.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    I just looked up the specs, and was kinda surprised at how big the Sentra actually is!
    Wheelbase 105.7
    Overall length 179.8
    Overall width 70.5
    Overall height 59.5

Sigh. Yeah, the Sentra is really a barge these days. The old B13 ('91-94) was far more svelte and nimble:

Wheelbase 95.7 in
    Length 170.3 in
    Width 65.6 in
    Height 53.0 in
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,657
    Sigh. Yeah, the Sentra is really a barge these days. The old B13 ('91-94) was far more svelte and nimble:

LOL...here I am, applauding the car for finally being something big enough that I'd actually consider, yet I guess it could be alienating plenty of other buyers for being too "barge-like"!

I liked the style of the 1991-94 era Sentra, but imagine the car would just be too small for my tastes.
    I'm all for having big cars, but small ones are good too. Little cars have gotten big, and it has only been very recently that new little models have come in to replace the old little models (which are now big). No what I mean?
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I owned a '91 Sentra (SE trim - red w/ black interior). Loved the clean looks of it, though in hindsight I wish I would have popped for the SE-R (only $1K more, IIRC).

The SE trim really meant nothing more than a rear spoiler and alloy wheels (13"!!!). No A/C, no cruise, only power mirrors. It also had the shoulder belt that was attached to the door and was meant to be kept latched 100% of the time.

I paid something like $10K (before TTL). I was looking at the Hyundai Scoupe as well, but the Nissan was much better built. I really should have gotten a Mazda Protege, but my (then) wife already had one and it seemed silly to have two of the same make and model, though I would have gotten a stick.

Andre, you'd be surprised at how roomy it was. I used to take my dad, uncle and cousin to the golf course ... and all our clubs fit in the trunk nicely.

That car got me through my divorce as well as a move from California to Colorado, where it was unceremoniously traded in on a '93 Accord.
    I think the Sentra has traditionally been overlooked since people that would shop it were going after Civics and Corollas.''I had an 87 Sentra which bears no resemblance to teh current vehicle. It was a slug but an amazingly dependable slug. Once you were up to speed it was fine and handled well and got 40 mpg on the highway. It drowned in a noreaster. If you keep salt water out of teh engine it'll run forever.

If I were shopping now I'd definitely look at a Sentra. Unfortunately the Nissan dealer in town, who is also the Honda dealer, is just impossible to deal with.
    I had an '86 Sentra that was my first brand new car. I believe it was the cheapest new car that you could but at the time. Mine was a 2 door,stick with out air. I paid for my cheapness by selling it after the one year/12k warranty ran out. Not a bad car, but it had absolutely zero in the way of fun.
    I personally don't like the new Sentras. I started disliking them when I sold Nissans for 6 months. The prices were very comparable to a Civic or a Corolla, but the quality seemed way off. Yes it is a very roomy car, lots of trunk space, but to me it just feels cheap for a car in that price point and class.

Now don't jump on me because the Patriot is not a class leader either in terms of refinement, but if you're comparing small sedans, I'd go for a Corolla or a Civic because they're about same money (at least in Canada).

• woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    Have you looked on ebay, or craigslist? Or mainly at dealers? I wouldn't rule out ebay, never know what you'll find, & you're in CA, so chances might be good to find a relatively local one.
    I find a big weight taken off my shoulders as I don't have to wrry about something breaking everytime I hear a new noise like in the Benz. Peace of mind is sometimes priceless.

Amen. A car--or a house--that you're really attached to, but needs so much work that it drives you crazy, may not be worth it. And sometimes there's nothing wrong with "settling" for a vehicle that isn't totally turning you on, but is affordable.

I finally gave up on my 15 y.o. e24 M6 when it needed about $4K in suspension & brake work, etc. (This was after it had been rear-ended, & took a year for the body work to be done). It was still gorgeous, low miles, but I couldn't deal with it anymore.

In retrospect my only mistake was not selling it sooner, when the hassles became greater than the pleasure, & agonizing for so long about it........
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,314
    In retrospect my only mistake was not selling it sooner, when the hassles became greater than the pleasure, & agonizing for so long about it........

In contrast, I wish that I'd kept mine. I switched to 750i front rotors and Axxis Metal Master pads so it wasn't a big deal if I used them up at an HPDE. I fitted stiffer LCA bushings and that was all the front end needed. Dropping the cat and adding a Dinan chip gave me about 310 bhp at the crank. As I've mentioned before, I suppose that's why I like the E46 M3 so much, it's very similar to my 6er in size and weight, but with even more power. My kind of track tool...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Oh, indeed. The car didn't have fun in teh equation at all.

I bought mine used and in a hurry and it was OK and dependable. Thank goodness it did have AC.
    Yeah, but I like the looks of the RAV WAY more than those of the Forester. Call me crazy. Beyond that, I agree they ought to be about the same in terms of reliability.

I might take a little look around....but there are a lot less Foresters out there than RAVs.

Woody: I don't do eBay, not my thing. I used to do craigslist, but nowadays there's just so much junk and scams on there, it's like finding a needle in a haystack to find the few good deals on there.

So I mainly cruise the dealers I know, and look on AutoTrader.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Tonight we are the *proud* owners of a 2007 Ford Taurus with 32k on it. For a change we own it outright, I have title in hand. Very clean car, still smells new.

So much for being cured.......... :blush:
  • smwls8smwls8 Member Posts: 103
    I have a 07 Taurus for a company car. I am amazed for a car this large, I can set the cruise on the drive home from the office and the computer shows milage numbers close to 30 mpg! I know the 6-speed transmission helps in this regard, but it is really a huge car for the money. Yes, the interior is on the cheap side, I would rather Ford raise the price 500 bucks and put some decent textures and materials inside, but the bean counters who have helped(they don't get all the blame) destroy Ford and GM will cut off their nose to spite their face. The doors also shut with a cheapness that is a hint of a corner cut in this car. I am comparing to a Lexus and Jaguar which are my personal cars though. Enjoy the Taurus, for the money a hard car to beat.
    I have title in hand

Allrighty, put me in for Halloween.

Congrat's on the Taurus, they are not fancy, but the one we have had for our sales guys have ben very dependable. One guy bought his from the company and gave it to his kid at 100k miles, it now has over 175k. Not that you would ever keep it that long. :)
    The scams are moving have already moved to AutoTrader, but they are fewer. Just like on CL, they are easy to spot. The cars are usually priced at less than 25% of their value. I even saw one of these in my local paper - an S2000 for $4900. I would have assumed in was just a mistake, but the ad and contact info read just like the scams I see on CL. I assume they have come up with an additional scam to avoid paying the $50 charge to get the ad in the paper.

As for eBay, it is great if you want a Bricklin or a '65 Alfa, but is pretty worthless for modern plain cars.
    As for eBay, it is great if you want a Bricklin or a '65 Alfa, but is pretty worthless for modern plain cars.

Yes, with late-model cars, there's this hostile dichotomy where sellers set a reserve price (often too high), and buyers refuse to bid on auctions with a reserve, assuming (often correctly) that the reserve is too high. I've found a few sellers with reasonable reserve / BIN prices and good feedback, and have added them to my favorite sellers list for future reference.
    last night just as a preliminary, and found 1 Forester in a 100-mile radius with a stick and less than 50K miles. Talk about the needle in a haystack...

I am sure the lone Forester is way overpriced too. Subaru's in the Northeast get outrageous money.

Stick with the Rav-4\Cr-v approach. I know everyone loves Foresters but they have always seemed like an odd duck to me,kind of homely looking.
    Allrighty, put me in for Halloween.

LOL, cute. Once we move hubby will be commuting 500 miles/week, so we figured when this guy offered us the car in trade for our 97 F-250 and 2006 dump trailer plus a few other little things it was a good time to get a car. No real money out of our pocket, just a trade deal.

So the old F-250 has a new home, I was actually really sad to the old girl go. She's been a super good truck for us in the 2 years we've owned her.

Just have our log skidder left to sell, then we are outta here.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You're clearing out? FBX or ANC or ?
    That reminds me, I did drive one CRV I found with a stick, just because it was very close by. Didn't like it though.

Green '99, AWD, 105K, asking $9995, the guy produced receipts for timing belt/water pump and new tires (cheapos, but at least they were new).

Drove it, couldn't listen to the radio as its display reads "Erre: code". The route involved some uphill at which point it was so low on gas that it began to buck and choke, and I almost got in an emergency situation.

Beyond that, I rather liked the driver controls, it had a good clutch and a nice stick, good pedal response, but on the highway it was very loud. Tire roar, wind roar, and some kind of muted shriek coming from around the wheels (possible wheel bearing? Yikes). Even the routine noise was MUCH louder than in the RAV4. Too loud for me. And with the other things going on, no sale.

But it's pretty hard finding recent vintage of either model with a stick. Funnily enough it has been a bit easier finding RAVs than CRVs.

Nothing will turn you off of a model faster than a poorly maintained example. It is hard to wipe it out of your brain.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,268
    Used to have a '98 CR-V with stick... the '99s got a 20 hp bump, I think...

Typically great Honda clutch and shifter.... very underpowered, though... Unfortunately, I lost that one the hard way...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

You raced it for pinks, I guess?
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    repo ? :P
    Yup... lost it to a '76 Datsun B-210 :surprise:

Or, I pulled out in front of someone and blew the airbags... one or the other...

Naturally, it was my wife's fault... :blush:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

In contrast, I wish that I'd kept mine. (M6)

It sounds like maybe you do your own wrenching? That makes a huge difference. Or, just being so dedicated to a 15-20 y.o. bmw/mb/porsche (& well funded)! that you're willing to spend whatever it takes.

I found an e39 5-series to be so much more modern, practical, safer, can drive year 'round (mostly), it helped me get over the remorse of selling the M6. Not as sexy of course.

If I bought a 2nd car now, would I get another e24? No, life is too short, & too many cars I'd like to experience. Maybe a used Mini, or Z4, or some flavor of e46. But that's just me, & it sounds like yours was awesome with all the mods/upgrades.
    With what you guys are saying about prices of 6-10 y.o. examples, I think my next vehicle should be a brand new CR-V or RAV-4 or Forester......
    Yeah, I like to search completed listings on eBay Motors. Every time I see a Honda that sold at a price that looked to be a "good deal," once I go to the listing page, I see that it has a salvage title. Absolutely insane!
  • cudabobcudabob Member Posts: 4
    Not a chronic buyer, but a chronic shopper? You betcha.

I find the "Wheel Deals" for every market I travel into, and look cover to cover. I can rarely look at a page without finding something I'm interested in.

The antidote is having a spouse who controls the purchasing urge by witholding the purse.
  • 8sparkplugs8sparkplugs Member Posts: 111
    My mother-in-law bought an 05 CRV for $18,300. Three years later the trade-in value is about $15,000.
    Wife's lease is up in three months... She wants an SUV... I know..

GM employee pricing... Why I keep looking, I don't know.. Check out the Saab 9-7X on-line.. Yeah.. I know it's just a gussied up TrailBlazer, but it looks pretty good.. and the Saab model has all the goodies standard..

The 6-cylinder with 285 hp is the base model.. MSRP is just under $42K.. Employee pricing minus the $8000 rebate brings it to just under $30K.. Not too bad, I'm thinking.. 4yr/50K warranty.. 100K powertrain warranty.. Free scheduled maintenance for 3yr/36K.. ooooookay..

2008 EPA MPG ratings.. 14 city 20 highway

Gulp!

Also, on the down side... vaunted Saab resale values..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator