Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    Just buy her an M3 and claim you misunderstood what she said.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    I like the "really blue" color. BMW had a color kind of like that, on the 3-series and first-gen X5 (and they may still offer it).

I don't like the powder blue / baby blue metallic I see on a lot of newer cars, though.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,196
    She actually did say that she would be fine with a new CR-V or a RAV4.. But, I just got rid of a CR-V, and after 10 years of CR-Ving, I don't really want another one..

Toyota? Could I get one without actually going to a Toyota dealer? Ick.. Plus, those are about $30K, all loaded up.

She doesn't like any SUV that looks too much like a wagon.. so, the Forester is out, even though it looks more truck-y than it ever did before..

Plus, if I get anything besides the BMW, I've got three more months to work on it...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Sure... down where you live, that "Kentucky" blue would go over big!!

It really is a nice car... but, she definitely noticed the size...

You really can't beat that price...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    I almost bought a first-gen X5 in what maybe is the same color blue you remember (I think it was "Topaz")? And again, a used '01 525i wagon w/SPP in a lighter different metallic blue that was gorgeous (Biarritz)--it was like a metallic blue that some late 60's Vette's came in I think.

My 2 other favorite bmw colors are "Calypso red", on some e34's, & "Sienna red", on a few e39's........
  • Options
    Our first 3-series was Steel Blue, which is one of the all-time great colors...

The Volvo was close to Topaz Blue, but evidently more like Mystic or even Montego Blue... So, pretty darn bright, even though it wasn't really a light color..

Its probably a good thing... If we got 14 mpg on the first tankfull, I would have been in big trouble.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Tomorrow, it will be one month, since I got the Subaru... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Mystic Blue, that's the BMW color I really like.

A loaded CR-V with AWD and navigation is pushing 30k, if memory serves. I think we have a decent Toyota dealer nearby in Bowling Green--never dealt with them, but have heard good things from others. Do the ones around Cincinnati enjoy a bad reputation?
  • Options
    Don't know about reputation, necessarily... that's from personal experience..

Used to do a lot of Toyota shopping, since I was generally in the Accord market.. But, just can't stomach those places... One salesman actually followed me out and tried to flag me down as I was pulling away...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    For me, it's kind of a drag that the "cool colors" on bmw's or M-B's are rarely seen, or available, esp. if you're buying used. It's usually silver, black, or white (altho I'm starting to like white a lot more). But I'm generalizing of course.

In the metro-boston area, there are 2 toyota dealers that offer "internet pricing" on new cars. Usually $500 over invoice, minus whatever dealer cash. But you have to deal with the "internet" sales dept., which is fine, no games, I'm lucky to have 2 excellent toyota dealers nearby. But there are some other toyota dealers in the area that are horrible. And the last 2 Honda & Subie dealers that I went to for test drives or "just to look" were beyond awful. The Subaru salesman followed me around the sales floor, making inane comments about all the cars (as if I'd never read about the WRX, etc.), & after 12 minutes all I cared about was "getting away" from him.

The weird thing is, I might have actually bought a Subaru.....
  • Options
    If my calculations are right, I have 126 days left on the lease...

No activity here in two days--is no one buying anything?!?
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    That's it?? Wow!

remind me again ... what lease is this? Can't keep track of my own cars, let alone all the addicts here. :)

Oh boy oh boy. Vicarious car shopping!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    I think 2 or 3 of us picked something up this month. And I think that Mark156 is still waiting for his Bentley.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    I have an '86 911 waiting for me in Orlando, but I have no way to get it. The car is mine if I want it (through a friend), but I am not obligated to buy it.

In fact the wait is making me itchy to just buy something local.
  • Options
    gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    I have 126 days left on the lease

You time is running out, you should have bought something by now. At least thats what I learned in the gbrozen school of leasing. :)

is no one buying anything?!?

I'm trying, my company is going from an allowance plan to company vehicles and they gave us a budget of $22k to spend. The killer is that it has to be an American nameplate(Volvo,Saab & Mazda don't count) and should get decent gas mileage. My own requirement is that 3 kids can fit in back and have a sunroof.

I know boo hoo me, but I am really having a hard time picking out something. The GM Employee pricing helped, it made cars like the Malibu and G6 come within budget. The Astra I think is just too small, and while I like the 3 door the 5 door is strange looking, same for the new Vibe.

Ford has the Fusion, but I could not get comfortable in their seats and the Focus is ok but I can not forgive Ford for not giving us version 2.

Chrysler has nothing that I would be interested in, and aparently no one else by what I have seen on their lots.

Anyone have any experience with the Pontiac G6 ? I drove a 4 cyl. last week and thought it was ok. Theengine was loud, but the deal breaker was no power seats. :mad: I also drove a Malibu, but it has grown too big for my tastes. I liked the size of the G6 better.

So I am going to try a 6 cyl. with power seats. I can still get it under $22k with a sunroof and upgraded stereo.
  • Options
    If you like the G6, try the Saturn Aura. Same platform as the G6, and I think it may have a power seat.
  • Options
    It's a lease on a 2007 Audi A4. Expires January 2, 2009, but I'm planning to turn it in by December 31.
  • Options
    wait a sec .... Xmas is less than 120 days away??!!!

OH hell! even worse. That means my 35th bday is only like 65 days away. Ugh!
    And no, I'm not asking for a car. I will, however, hint for car-related stuff. A racing jack is near the top of the list.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    What is good gas mileage?

And I assume you mean GM/Ford/Chrysler only, right?
    Not an Accord made in America?
    Still can't figure out why a car built in Australia or Mexico and imported here by Chevy counts as more American than an Accord built in Ohio. But we've had this discussion on another board.

Any chance they'd let you contribute? :)
    Only $3600 more and you could have a V6 G8. :)

• Options
    Of all the stupid reason to rule a car out , my wife said that since 3 of our neighbors have Aura's I would look like I am trying to keep up with them.

Yea, I agree on the Honda made in America thing. It's just we are a Union shop so appearances are important. They will let us contribute, I was trying to be cheap and not kick in anything. Plus at 20 mpg combined the G8 would cost me an additional $1k per year over the G6. I figured it at an additional $9k over 4 years including kick in money.
  • Options
    Vue Greenline = $24k
    Aura Greenline = $22.5k

Oh, wait. Here ya go. Turbocharged HHR SS = $20,766!

• Options
    Take off the plates.. take them to the courthouse that day..

If AFS pays the property tax the next year, you'll never get the money back...

89 days to go on our lease... Doesn't mean that I won't get something sooner... It's only been 32 days since I got the Subie..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I have 126 days left on the lease...

Heck, some people here seem to go thru 2 or 3 cars in 126 days. :P But seriously, there have gotta be some great deals in this bad economy between now & year end. I bought my last car on a Dec. 30, I think the really good deal I got had a lot to do with that.....
  • Options
    I'll probably turn the car in mid-December, if they're agreeable to it...

If there are no serious bargains appearing on the horizon by October, I will probably pick up something used from the local GM dealer. My trigger finger is getting awfully twitchy!
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    my wife even seems to be agreeable to the idea of a new car. Guess she is glad that I am working, even if it does involve a lousy commute, since it it wears me down to much (since I am dealing with medical stuff too, ala Mack), the option is to quit and be a bum.

had the family out to dinner last night, and swung through the nearby auto row. ended up doing some sitting, and 1 drive (she even drove on the "test track", which is an actual test track they have in the back!)

sat in the Mazda 6 and 3. As expected, the 3 was too small for everyone (this will be my commuter, plus family duty when we don't need the cargo hold of the Odyssey). The 6 was plenty big, and impressed everyone. Especially the 31K GT loaded V6 model!

Also hit Acura, and test drove (on the track) a 2009 TSX (I was supposed to be looking CPO, but what the heck). Nice driving, good seats (important on the 1.5 hr. trip home). But, the center stack dug into my knee, and I hate that. The radio display was no better than my Accord. ANd seemed slightly underwhelming for 30K+. Might rather have a gen 1 model.

ALso scoped out a 3 series BMW. Bigger inside than I thought, and real comfy. Everyone (especially my 17 YO son) liked this. But at 32-33K for a "strippo" model, maybe not, if I am gonna run up big miles on it, on a road that lends itself to bumper cars.

Still need to check out Volvo (sure the S40 will be too small), and VW (but that is probably a non starter).

Just for th eheck of it, I put a CPO SAAB 9-3 on the list. All the goodies, might be cheap, and under warranty? WOrth a test drive!

Thankfully the stick in the Accord is pretty light, so it hasn't been a real issue (a little annoying, but not painful!). Now, after the holiday when the traffic gets real nasty might be a different story.

Oh yeah, all of these are AT cars, but I at least require some sort of manumatic!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Speaking of the TSX, I bet you can find a decently priced CPO with low mileage. I am not a big fan of the new ones anyways, and I'd save my bucks and get an 08, or 07.

I'd also look at a Subaru Legacy sedan. They are might not be as popular as the mainstream cars you mentioned, but they do offer decent space, looks and performance plus AWD.

• Options
    dstarinieridstarinieri Member Posts: 27
    I just test drove the TSX today and wow! I thought it was a great car for the money. I also test drove an 07 CPO and was not at all impressed. It felt like a Civic with leather. The 09 is the way to go. I just want a few more months of history (0ther people seeing if it has any issues) in the car before I pay that kind of money. I don't think the tech package is worth the 3,000 they want.
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Speaking of the TSX, I bet you can find a decently priced CPO with low mileage. I am not a big fan of the new ones anyways, and I'd save my bucks and get an 08, or 07.

The previous model lacks any cajones at all, IMHO. I drove it before getting an Accord. It was also going to be a PITA to get a manual transmission. For the 10k over the Accord, it wasn't worth it to me. That said, the Accord is a rolling retirement home (which is still a step above the Camry, which is a convalescents home).

I'd also look at a Subaru Legacy sedan. They are might not be as popular as the mainstream cars you mentioned, but they do offer decent space, looks and performance plus AWD.

I have been pretty stoked with the Legacy wagon. It has been great in Mid-western winters and gets reasonable fuel economy. It has a much firmer ride, but it makes it a lot more fun to drive than the Accord. I have been very pleased with it.
  • Options
    Hopefully your "medical stuff" is not what Mac has. Either way make sure you take care of yourself.

I drove a Mazda 6i , I thought they did a really nice job keeping the sporty character of it even though it grew by half a foot .I don't think they are dealing much on price yet.

Try a Volvo S60 if you want nice seats and more room than the S40. Those seats will make you forget your long commute.
  • Options
    same stuff, but a different version I think (not sure which one he has). Let's just say my hair no longer blows in the wind when the moonroof is open.

Test sat the family in an S40 and '06 TSX tonight. Both had enough room. The TSX was a little more "intimate" than the '09, which is OK by me. S40 was about the same size insides, but my wife would probably prefer something larger.

THe TSX engine is about the same, so I didn't think the new one would be much different perfromance wise, since it added some weight. I also haven't found a CPO to be priced well, the S40 wil be a better deal (but not as nice driving). At least the Acura has integrated bluetooth and XM. I really want the BT built in!

For reference, I stopped at a local used car mega dealer (autolenders, all off lease stuff). IN the showroom they had the TSX, S40 (base 2.5i) and a TL. all 2006 models, between 20 and 25K miles (TSX highest, TL lowest). TSX was a navi unit.

Pricing? TSX and TL both listed at 25,000, and the Volvo at 19,995 (they do tend to be high). Just thought it intersesting that a nav TSX would be listed at the same price as a non-nav TL. GUess they weren't that far off MSRP, but TL is still a lot more car.

• Options
    still need to stop at the dealer to see what they have, and try an S60. Haven't driven one in ages.

I should just go for a V70. That's the one I really want. Nice V70 2.4T in a CPO. Plenty of room in that one, and nearly the same mileage!

I think the family is still stuck on the 3 series, but I can't rationalize a new one for an abusive commute. Now a nice CPO though, assuming they ever price one reasonably...

Might have to swing by the BMW dealer again!

• Options
    I want to go car shopping with you. BMW, Volvo , and Acura while I am stuck with Chevy and Pontiac. Hang in there, My dad beat the stuff about 15 years ago and has been good since(knock wood).

I checked out a 4 Cylinder Malibu last night . I think Chevy has finally put up something to compete with the Accord and Camry. I am not sure if thats a good thing for me though. Driving a family sedan for the next four years may get to me. At least the G6 has a little "excitement" to it. It reminded me of the Old's Aurora I use to own, so I guess Chevy is going a bit more upscale.
  • Options
    haven't driven one, but after sitting in it at the auto show, I was amazed at how nice it ws. The interior made the MB C class look like a Kia.

I still won't buy one though.

• Options
    Oh, don't get too excited by what I am looking at. I have an '05 Accord now, and if I do get something else, the Mazda is the only likely new car (I can't bring myself to really get a VW, and my wife hates them).

Beyond that, the Volvo or Acura would be used (CPO) most likely.

• Options
    reason I enjoy used car shopping alot more than new. I think it is the thrill of finding the diamond in the rough. With new it seem like it is all on line now. Punch in the color & options you want, go down to the dealer and pick it up. End of the chase.
  • Options
    If you could find a leftover '08 TSX, you could probably get a brand new one for just a few hundred over $25K...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    when I looked about a month ago, the supply of '08s was pretty sparse. Not sure if they have anything at this point.

The dealers do, however, think nothing of listing an '06 for about 25K. Yet another reason some cars you might just as well buy new.

• Options
    dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    I have a base 07 auto that I'm about to list for $25K hoping to get around $24K. The dealer I bought mine from has three used 07s that are listed at $27 and above with more mileage than mine at 15K.
  • Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Is your lease just about up? Gosh, it seems like yesterday that you picked it up.

Was that you I saw on Lincoln today, driving the new F430 Cabrio? Was brand new - temp tags said 10/29/08, which meant it was picked up today (for those who don't know, a new car in Colorado is delivered with temporary tags that are valid for 60 days from date of delivery).

Somebody got himself a toy to play with -- red with tan leather - as all Ferrari's should have, in my opinion.

Seriously, though - what are you planning to get to replace the TSX?
  • Options
    That wasn't me :( I couldn't afford that and alimony ;)

My lease isn't up quite yet, I actually just finished the first year a few months back ;) It's a very nice car, could use a little more power, but has enough to keep me out of trouble. It just wasn't the best choice in going from a Civic to it in terms of room, especially with three five-year-olds. I've been looking for a two to three year old 4Runner, but the GM employee pricing now has me all over the board...so many choices, so little time. I'll see how I can do with it on Craigslist for now, not in a hurry and don't really have to sell it. Although with snow on it's way, an SUV might be nice, maybe a new VUE???
  • Options
    ...an SUV might be nice, maybe a new VUE???

I saw a FSBO 2005 Vue V6 near the office the other day. 57,000 miles and asking $7995, which seems too low. I'm guessing there's something wrong with it.
  • Options
    BMW X3.....

Finance guy bumped the deal by about $1200 by holding rate on the money factor and bumping the acquisition fee... Otherwise, we were right on the money...

Oh well... nice car, too.. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Last time I was in the Saturn store they were getting a Vue Greenline in. With employee pricing it was $26k and surprisingly it got 28 combined mpg's with a mild hybrid.

Good luck finding a something that fits 3 car seats across. Everything will be a knuckle buster trying to buckle. I finally got my 9 year old out of a booster so that frees up a little room.
  • Options
    mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Hey Boom!

Yes, I'm going in the dealership this week to see about ordering the '09 Continental Flying Spur. When I talked with the saleslady a couple of months ago, she said it might take six months to get what I want.

I want the exterior to be Magnolia (creamy-white) and the interior to either be Magnolia or Oatmeal. One thing is for sure, no chrome wheels, I like the factory wheel finish.

This dealership claims to be the largest Rolls/Bentley dealer in the country. So, I'm thinking that they will have a unit coming in that I will like without me having to order, we'll see.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • Options
    We still have the Odyssey which is our main family vehicle, so probably won't ever have to put all three seats in anything else. Part of my looking around is just that, I'm almost ready for something else. The other part is looking to cut the payment down for a few years as we're trying to put as much away right now as possible so we can move in the next year or two. We've already outgrown this place! I probably should have just held on to the Civic even though it was about to hit 80K miles and the dealer wanted me to start putting a lot of money into it. It was paid for - which I'm reminded of quite often by my better half :surprise:
  • Options
    Your one Bentley purchase shoudl count as 10 regular purchases credited to your CCBA membership. ;)

• Options
    mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    My motorhome cost TWO Bentley's so I should be good for 10 yrs! LOL! :blush:

M156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • Options
    I should just go for a V70. That's the one I really want............I think the family is still stuck on the 3 series....

I'd vote for a V70 over an S40 anyday. Way nicer interior, nice cars, lots more room.

New 3 series: How abusive is the commute? It should hold up at least as well as your other choices. And could make that commute much more enjoyable to drive.

Here's the unusual part, perhaps: your family wants you to get the 3 series. A lot of guys would have to fight hard (& probably lose) to get a 3 series over something more "practical", like a mini-van.......
  • Options
    grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    My motorhome cost TWO Bentley's so I should be good for 10 yrs! LOL!

Not really, it's quantity that counts around here, not quality.
  • Options
    Well, I am an interesting mix for CCB. I want to buy cars, and I like nice stuff, but I am also the tightwad in the family and can't end up pulling the trigger!

My wife is still mad that I didn't get the 525i that I had ordered (back in spring 2001). Just couldn't make myself sign the papers for the big loan (and the check that came before it). Got a used Maxima instead, and about 4 more cars since! Actually, I was unsure about living with the drivers seat. I think the lumbar was too bulgey or misplaced. Or I am just anal about this stuff.

The commute isn't bad as in beating up the car (the roads are paved fine). Other than the occasional fend bender on the surekill expy., it is just a matter of lots of miles. Many of them at a stop and go pace.

so yeah, the ride would be way nicer in a 3 series (since it is 2.5-3+ hours a day RT, about 90 miles). Just don't get to really enjoy the fine handling, etc. it offers all the time!

For the commute (and the bulk of my other "running the kids around town and doing errands" use, the V70 would be a perfectly fine option. Not as sporty, but roomier, and great seats, radio, AC, etc. for the commute. Also nice for family travel, since whatever I get replaces the Odyssey for most family use (expect for trips to the shore and Xmas visits, where we "need" (according to the wife) the extra room to transport junk.

Oh, and the V70 will be cheaper I expect. At this point, I am figuring on an ~'07 CPO something. Might as well let that fine Volvo depreciation work in my favor! although I am planning to stop this week to check out the CPO 3 series, and maybe take a ride.

Also, I saw a new 335 at office depot parking lot. Dark blue (Monaco?) with tan leather. Exactly what I would get. Real nice looking!

still mad they don't make the wagon version with RWD anymore. That would put me over the edge.