Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,547
    He's buying a Prius?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,284
    stickguy said:

He's buying a Prius?

Given the miles he drives for work, there is a logic to that choice...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    This is quite entertaining. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

This is quite entertaining. 

I'm certainly enjoying it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,922
    Maybe another Subie, but this time a 6cyl?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    Tesla?
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,384
    Tacoma

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

Assuming Jan is Toyota Jan, that narrows it down. Knowing his commute, a Tacoma would be, to be charitable, an "interesting" choice. And not what I would want to use for it. But, YMMV. As a spare car, fun to have!

so, can't really see a Camry, Corolla, or the little cars as being worth driving to save a few $$ in gas (though I would consider a Camry for that duty).

All the SUVs are, well, more SUVs. already has one of those.

so if they are giving away Prius, at least the gas mileage is there. Might be a little short of power for the parkway on ramps. But good for schlepping into the city.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,985
    edited May 2019
    I’ll throw a random dart, Tesla? Never mind, I see that dart was thrown.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,944
    Don’t forget he said we were wrong on type of vehicle after guesses included small SUVs, sedans, and coupes. We are left with trucks, jeeps, and maybe hatchbacks/wagons.

I’d vote volvo wagon, but that doesn’t strike me as a nyccarguy vehicle. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    Highlander

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited May 2019
    Sitting on my deck drinking coffee listening to The Pretenders, Bo Deans and Dire Straits streaming through my Bose Bluetooth speakers. Just a great way to spend a sunny Saturday a.m. I almost forgot how good these groups are.

@Michaell ...you’re such a disappointment to us for keeping secrets....;)

@bradd ...I’ll throw my hat into the ring.....I’m thinking either a TLX A-Spec or an X2.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
     Maybe he’s going to buy the new Toyota supra just thought I throw that out there. I think it comes out the dealers in July. You may have to wait a while but this suspense is killing me and I’m enjoying coming in here like always and reading all the post every day. 
    Breld   Any punches down the line for you since New York Oregon and is something in the works. You both find something now around the same time.  Lol
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,922
    Sitting on my deck drinking coffee listening to The Pretenders and Dire Straits streaming through my Bose Bluetooth speakers. Just a great way to spend a sunny Saturday a.m. I almost forgot how good these groups are.

I love that you mentioned the audio equipment you were using! I have an older Bose sound dock portable that I bought a BT adapter for. I think it’s at the end of its life cycle. One of the drivers sounds blown. It’s had a hard life and served me well... maybe I’ll attempt to fix it.

I want install outdoor speakers under the soffit outside and wire it into an AUX input and volume control in a weather proof box. It’s not something I can’t handle, just need to dedicate a few hours to do it. It should be straightforward as on the other side of the wall is our family/playroom TV so I can tuck an old receiver on the shelf below to power them. I have an old 50 WPC JVC somewhere in the basement.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,091
    Going from the Infiniti to a Taco seems like a big step down and not the ideal commuter vehicle either. My money is on the Pious Prius.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Sitting on my deck drinking coffee listening to The Pretenders, Bo Deans and Dire Straits streaming through my Bose Bluetooth speakers. Just a great way to spend a sunny Saturday a.m. I almost forgot how good these groups are. @Michaell ...you’re such a disappointment to us for keeping secrets....;) @bradd ...I’ll throw my hat into the ring.....I’m thinking either a TLX A-Spec or an X2.
    Bo Deans!  Love it! 

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Breld   Any punches down the line for you since New York Oregon and is something in the works. You both find something now around the same time.  Lol
    Nothing really in the pipeline, though there’s always the possibility.  I still entertain the thought of replacing the Miata with something a bit more practical but still fun.  But then I look at the Miata...and then I drive the Miata...and it’s hard to bring myself to trading it just yet. 

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,358

Sitting on my deck drinking coffee listening to The Pretenders, Bo Deans and Dire Straits streaming through my Bose Bluetooth speakers. Just a great way to spend a sunny Saturday a.m. I almost forgot how good these groups are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjKGJ9RFo78

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I saw dire straits in concert when I was in college. Quite the fantastic show, though I’d hoped they would have played “Telegraph Road” as an encore. 

I also enjoy Mark Knopflers solo music - he wrote a song about Indy Cars (“Speedway at Nazareth”)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    GTI? The breld household has had several. 
    i  will  lissen to the above thank you for sharing. AllBreld. Got you!  You will find. Sum thing. Soon    Lol 
    Whoops  on the above! Do not no y it did that!
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

I saw the story on Jalopnik about the big discounts on Stingers so I emailed the local dealer to see if/when they would be getting any GT2 models with RWD. Herewith their response:
    ”I saw  you had a question regarding the Kia Stinger! We should be getting some in the future, but we won't know until they get in. The Stinger base model comes in rear-wheel drive if that would interest you! You have to see how they grip the road to get a true feel of how they handle!”

I guess I should be happy he picked up on the RWD requirement. 

That right there is my problem with sales in a nutshell. They don't give a damn about what you want or need, they only care about selling you something they can sell you today.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Speaking of Prius - did anyone see the LA car chase videos ?
    Who would select that as a getaway vehicle???
    - Ray
    Many shots fired from Prius...
    2022 X3 M40i
     Andries three, agreed that’s a big problem we should care and listen to what you want I’m just trying to sell you something today for the city of cell you something. That’s what I would make such a good car salesman if they would just give me a chance to get around not having a drivers license. 
     Not my type of music but I enjoyed listening to the above. 
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited May 2019

I can't believe anyone would get a Stelvio between mine and Q's feedback on it.

My buddy's wife has one and it experienced a spontaneous adaptive cruise control acceleration event. Out of nowhere, after slowing down for traffic, it accelerated to 90+.

You, Q, and every long term tester in the media all had similar results?

Say it ain't so! LOL!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    I saw Dire Straits in concert around 1992 on their "On Every Street" tour. They did play Telegraph Road. It was an outstanding show. Setlist here: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dire-straits/1992/halifax-metro-centre-halifax-ns-canada-3d9656f.html

I have long been a big fan of Chrissie Hynde and the Pretenders. She had such a unique way of singing a line. I like this cut:

https://youtu.be/99svrFj-G_g

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Clearing out my garage - going to sell later this year,
    Came across a R&T from 1984 with a test of the original Jetta GLI:
    1/4 = 18 sec. @ 74.5
    0 - 60 = 11.2 sec.
    base price = $8690
    - Ray
    35 years ago...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Random Ramblings:

Broke a tooth flossing last night; don't get old. My dentist put a temporary crown on it today noon-time.

Monday evening, I broke off a tooth, right at the gumline. And up front, leaving a big hole in my smile. I look like I'm ready to audition for a role in the remake of Deliverance. The tooth was dead, so it didn't hurt, but there goes about $4k or $5k for an implant. I have to agree - "Don't get old". As Janis Joplin said, "Live hard, die young, leave a beautiful corpse". Much better plan.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Well, I at least recognize 2 out of 3. Never heard of the BoDeans, had to google for that one.

Chrissie Hynde had a very distinctive voice, I'll give you that.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,605
    Go test drive a Model 3 for fun. Let me know if you need a referral code ;)

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

corvette said:
    GTI? The breld household has had several. 
    Already suggested and shot down, I believe

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,358
    Just two more videos; the first is Liz Phair- my secret crush:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF9qGjyAh4w

Next up is my girlfriend from middle school. Really.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6NB1xHG8JU

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    My parents named one of the dogs Bodean in honor of the band.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    Wasn’t necessarily a Liz Phair fan but some friends had an extra ticket to her show several years ago so I went along.  

Great show.  

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429
    stickguy said:
    an F150? Tacoma?
    @stickguy gets the gold star!  

So as I said, I’m on the hunt right now.  I have yet to go and take a test drive of a Tacoma (which will ultimately decide whether I like it or not).

I’ve become very interested in leasing a 4WD TRD Sport Double Cab Short Bed.  I’ve got a very solid offer from a broker.  I know 1/2 the fun is “hacking” the deal yourself, but this guy came back to me right off the bat with some solid numbers.  Let me know what y’all think:

24 months/18K per year
    $384/month with $3,600 in MSD 

I’ve got a nice offer for my Q40 from Carvana.  My question for you guys has to do with the MSD.  It’s a good deal with the MSD, but I really need all the cash I’m going to pull out of my Q40.  So is it still worth it to do the deal without the MSD (as long as I dig it on the test drive) at say $50 more per month.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    henryn said:

@henryn...As Janis Joplin said, "Live hard, die young, leave a beautiful corpse". Much better plan.

Well, I’m not sure I would call Janis beautiful. Greatness in singing, yes. Probably a ton of fun to party with (for about an hour for me). But I’d have to draw the line at “unique looking”.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
    Nice New York  car guy!
    nyccarguy said:

stickguy said:

an F150? Tacoma?

So as I said, I’m on the hunt right now.  I have yet to go and take a test drive of a Tacoma (which will ultimately decide whether I like it or not).

I’ve become very interested in leasing a 4WD TRD Sport Double Cab Short Bed.  I’ve got a very solid offer from a broker.  I know 1/2 the fun is “hacking” the deal yourself, but this guy came back to me right off the bat with some solid numbers.  Let me know what y’all think:

24 months/18K per year

I’ve got a nice offer for my Q40 from Carvana.  My question for you guys has to do with the MSD.  It’s a good deal with the MSD, but I really need all the cash I’m going to pull out of my Q40.  So is it still worth it to do the deal without the MSD (as long as I dig it on the test drive) at say $50 more per month.

seems like a lot, no? TRD sports are advertised in NE for about $250 with just first month and MSDs. I know you are at 18k vs the advertised 10k, but that's a heck of a bump for ... what? 5% residual penalty? What is the MSRP?

@nyccarguy the MSD with Toyota are an incredible ROI. A savings of $50/mo saves you $1200 over 24 months in return for letting them hold the $3600 in MSD.  Nearly a 33% return.  From an investment perspective you’d be crazy not to do it. 

However, if the purpose of this exercise is to maximize the available liquidity you have in the Q40, then I understand why you might not. 
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429
    qbrozen said:
    stickguy said:
    an F150? Tacoma?

24 months/18K per year

seems like a lot, no? TRD sports are advertised in NE for about $250 with just first month and MSDs. I know you are at 18k vs the advertised 10k, but that's a heck of a bump for ... what? 5% residual penalty? What is the MSRP?
    MSRP is $42,300

The 12K to 18K bump is about $100 per month (including tax).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Usually it’s a 2% drop to 15k. Then after that you’re just prepaying the mileage, possibly at a discount, but figure 6000 additional miles at $.20/mile takes it down another 2%. 
    Not to be a wet blanket, but be sure to drive that TRD on at least part of your daily commute route first.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    ab348 said:

Not to be a wet blanket, but be sure to drive that TRD on at least part of your daily commute route first.

Ditto... you'll hate it, if you have to commute in it. The V-6 is pretty gutless, and it will get worse mileage than your Q40.

Plus, at 18K/yr, even the lease deal isn't great.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    henryn said:

"Live hard, die young, leave a beautiful corpse". Much better plan.

I beg to differ. My endurance sucks and I've had more medical appointments in the last six months than I had in the previous 15 years. That said, I'm still taking joy from life, and that's all I ask.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    from cruising around Honcker the last few months the best long commuter deal was definitely the Fusion Hybrid Titanium. 3 year, 18K miles, with very little money up front and only about $225/month. If I had not already leased the TLX, I would have grabbed one of those and had the wife using it for her commuter miles. and saving a bunch on gas!

kyfdx said:
    Ditto... you'll hate it, if you have to commute in it. The V-6 is pretty gutless, and it will get worse mileage than your Q40. Plus, at 18K/yr, even the lease deal isn't great.
    I think all the points you make are absolutely valid, but I get the sense most Tacoma owners’ enjoyment of the truck has much to do less with the individual attributes and more to do with the overall character and experience.  Similarly, I’ve driven the 4Runner on occasion and find it to be a much less enjoyable ride than most any other SUV, but that doesn’t stop loads of people from being repeat owners.  And I’d guess few of them are buying it for its off road credentials.  

Like @jpp75, who is thoroughly enjoying his Tacoma thus far, Bradd also has a fun ride on the side with his Prelude.  Having that contrasting fun car may help a lot in having the Tacoma as the daily commuter.  

But with all that said, we all look forward to Bradd’s impressions.