Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556
    Incredibly clean car, wow.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Very cool q!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,315
    breld said:

Very cool q!

I have to admit - it's taking some getting used to not seeing your signature line stretch 75% of the way across the screen.

:smile:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    Car is incredibly clean, Q!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Have 225/45/17's on my Golf, new Eagle Sport AS's on it going on two weeks today. Haven't had Goodyear's since the RS-A's which were OEM on my 2006 Honda Civic. Have had Bridgestone's ever since then as I always went to Tires Plus. So far, like these Eagles a lot.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,201

Is there any interest here in my initial impressions of the i3? I’ve been posting updates on the Outback but wasn’t sure if anyone was as interested in this quirky electric thing.

I want to hear all about it

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    kyfdx
    RE: M340i loaner
    "Loaner. Fast."
    As driver of a 340i I would be very interested in your impression here!
    - Ray
    3 more lease payments . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options

Is there any interest here in my initial impressions of the i3? I’ve been posting updates on the Outback but wasn’t sure if anyone was as interested in this quirky electric thing.

Definitely!

• Options

I'm curious, as well.

Keep thinking the next family vehicle could be electric.

I enjoyed the one ride I had in the i3 @breld had for 12 1/2 minutes.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    @Sandman6472 — Every single review I’ve read has remarked about the Bolt’s seat discomfort, so I don’t think it will be a good choice for you. I’m planning to test drive a Kia Niro and a Leaf Plus in the next month as I debate what to do when the Volt lease is up. I’ll report!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    kyfdx said:

I want to hear all about it
    Ditto; we loved ours.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    rayainsw said:

kyfdx
    RE: M340i loaner
    "Loaner. Fast."
    As driver of a 340i I would be very interested in your impression here!
    - Ray
    3 more lease payments . . .

Here's my review of an M340i xDrive loaner from a few weeks ago:

It’s maybe a tick faster than my 2 Series, but the xDrive filters the fun too much for my tastes. I scared a friend quite a bit accelerating through a corner flat out when he thought I was going to lift and brake.
    I like the interior a lot- including the glass cockpit.
    I like the latest generation of iDrive, but it’s considerably different from what I’m used to.
    The voice recognition works quickly and accurately.
    The base sound system is surprisingly good. I’d still want to audition the H-K upgrade, but the standard system is no slouch.
    It’s still too big for my tastes, but the car masks its bulk to an impressive degree.
    An M240i with the M340i cockpit, 382 hp motor, and M Sport diff would be just about perfect for me.
    That or an M2C...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949

Of course! I’m especially curious to hear about running with the ICE, if at all. How that changes the drivability, etc.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267

...the car masks its bulk to an impressive degree.

As did my beloved E39 540i M-Sport. The G37 doesn't feel as solid, but also doesn't leak random fluids on my garage floor.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,435
    @28firefighter - do tell. Inquiring minds want to know.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I do love the horsepower wars. It seems whereas 300 HP used to be the standard of acceptability in a true sports car, now you need close to 400 horsepower to keep up with the Jones.

I think 300 HP is a magic mark for any car to make it a nice drive.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    I caught up on my pile of car magazines today. One had an article talking about HP/torque, and the question "can there be too much?" And how the performance return basically stopped when you ran out of enough traction. Or the weak link in the system could not handle any more!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    stickguy said:

I caught up on my pile of car magazines today. One had an article talking about HP/torque, and the question "can there be too much?" And how the performance return basically stopped when you ran out of enough traction. Or the weak link in the system could not handle any more!

https://youtu.be/sqD_rzGTc9s

All you need is quattro with launch control.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    andres3 said:

stickguy said:

https://youtu.be/sqD_rzGTc9s

All you need is quattro with launch control.
    Or electricity. I've seen a number of videos comparing a Tesla Model S to a variety of race cars, and the Tesla wins each time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Have heard the same about the Bolt's seats from others so we'll just have to see. Have driven the Nitto at work and do like it especially since it's a 5 door vehicle. Only mentioned the Ioniq as the Hyundai dealership is right outside one of the entrances to our community, with the Kia store on the lower side of town and since we've still got a Hyundai product in the family, could get a some more off when purchasing like I did with the Tucson. Got an extra $500 rebate due to having a immediate family member owning one.
    Assuming the Ioniq drives similarly to the Nitto but will have to check that out. The idea of possibly getting around 50 mpg's is a nice thing really but my only negative right now is the life span of the battery pack and how expensive it'll be to swap them out later on down the road. Could get expensive if one owns it, and might be better to lease one instead.
    Very intrigued about ownership of any hybrid or electric vehicle to be honest. Would help with my longish commute right now to be honest.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Spoke to two co-workers already about Medicare and one says keep both Parts A & B while the other says stick with just A and our secondary insurance through Uncle Sam. The first guy says that one never knows what could happen and when, so keeping both parts just makes sense if affordable. A good argument for sure but saving that extra outlay each month for just such things is a good thing to.
    Will be speaking with a few others and go from there. Leaning towards just keeping both parts right now as the wiser move. Really, who knows what could happen going forward?

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556
    Nice take @28firefighter, I'll be curious to hear your impression after some extend ownership time as well.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    I have never heard of wireless Apple CarPlay before.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    ab348 said:

I have never heard of wireless Apple CarPlay before.

My wife has it.. works through Bluetooth

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    AFAIK only BMW has it.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    tjc78 said:

AFAIK only BMW has it.

Really? I guess that explains why they charge for it. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    It's an Indiana thing.. :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Sandy, the batteries already have long warranty. It’s highly unlikely you would ever run out of that. They tend to last a long time anyway.

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279
    kyfdx said:

It's an Indiana thing.. :o

It’s the town and not the state

• Options
    marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @qb wow wow, that stinks it’s actually bring it somewhere for the appointment I thought they came to your house, but I guess you have to tackle the project yourself with the hubs when you get a chance. As long as it’s not unsafe to drive for the time being.
  • Options
    So me and my cousin had an awesome time yesterday test roll a dodge charger RT had to stop myself from putting a lease deal together with maybe just the first months payment but eventually you gonna do something probably. Then went to another Ford dealer to look around and then to another one to look around and then at night went back to the first dealer which is close to my house and drove a Ford Ranger XLT was a lot of fun.
  • Options
    Today somewhere looking he’s coming back look at something out here so will spend the day together, I have to go pick up the core of my battery because they were covered under the warranty because they said that I killed it I mean I did but enough to know the truth I told him the battery is the Factive from day one they disconnected the battery cables and let it sit for two weeks in and went dead he’s been going dead ever since now won’t hold a charge. It is five months old so probably have to buy another battery regardless just woke up without battery and brand again. Just gonna go to AutoZone or Pep Boys closer to my house and more convenient and get a born own battery brand. this prior battery that’s dead now another person and helps me out insisted I get it because if it’s in the battery tray 100% correct which initially I didn’t care about is like some special rectangle shape which is real hard to fine so I’m sure the battery was sitting around for a while somewhere in the warehouse because how many people are buying them I was gonna get a standard battery if it doesn’t fit 100% who cares the car is not being driven every day.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,435
    @28firefighter - great write up regarding the i3. Definitely seems like a great little car that handles well (it is a BMW after all). Seems like you got it for a great price & will enjoy it for the next 24 months/10K per year. With the lease and the range extender it seems like a fantastic way to dip your feet into driving an EV.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    @28firefighter are you going to hack it to enable the “hold state of charge” feature? I think that would make it a lot more versatile.
  • Options
    I sent a note to our friend @roadburner asking for his take. My only fear enabling it is that it may void my warranty and that is definitely not something I want to do here. I'm sure the official stance is "no chance" from BMW because it probably messes with vehicle classification or some such here in the US, but the question is whether they would check/notice otherwise.
  • Options
    I think it’s simply a matter of using an OBD tool to change a setting. It’s not like you’re installing a chip on a turbocharged car, so hopefully they will look at it differently.
  • Options
    It really is not the end of the world either way. Yesterday turned out to be 42 miles of driving and that was a very heavy day for me driving wise. I used up 25%+ of the battery. I plugged it into a standard household outlet at 8pm when we got home and had a notification that the car was charged around 4am. That is just about perfect, IMO.
  • Options
    Nice write-up @28firefighter - in my brief ownership period of our i3, I enjoyed it for the same reasons you state.

The one thing that got quite tiresome was those suicide doors. I found it awkward at times to get around to allow my stepson out of the backseat.

Other than that, the limitations of the i3 for me were more situational - since we had a 2015, the electric range was only like 70-80 miles. With the longer commute I had at the time, we invariable dipped into the extender more often than not, and while it's definitely a nice feature to have to alleviate range anxiety, I did find it a bit loud and intrusive...and having to stop and fill up the 1.5 gallon tank on a regular basis sort of defeated the purpose of the car.

But...with our recent move and resulting shorter commute, together with the extended range of the newer models, makes the i3 a more attractive option. We test drove a Bolt a couple years ago when we had the i3 and while we appreciated the range of the Chevy, we liked the i3 much better all around (probably not surprising).

I'm anxious for the release of the upcoming VW electric fleet. And I'm also intrigued by the CR-V Hybrid due out early next year.

• Options
    I still don’t think I could go full electric (or even like the i3 solution), but would love a nice hybrid.

• Options
    @28ff Nice write up on your new ride so far awesome. It’s definitely different which is a good thing.
  • Options
    Got to also sit in a brand new 2020 for the ski, I didn’t like it the old one was parked next week still new like it a lot better higher up.
  • Options
    @nyccarguy look into whether the mileage reimbursement meets the IRS guidelines. If it does, I don’t think you can write off your expenses, but the reimbursement itself is tax-free money.

Glad your wife found something, even if it’s not what her preferred working situation looks like.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    it should work itself out at tax time. you'd get a vehicle reimbursement statement and that pay would be deducted from whatever mileage you are claiming on your taxes. At least, that's my interpretation. Kind of like a health FSA plan.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    I guess different employers handle it differently. I’ve never had mileage or other reimbursements reported on a W-2.
  • Options
    corvette said:

@nyccarguy look into whether the mileage reimbursement meets the IRS guidelines. If it does, I don’t think you can write off your expenses, but the reimbursement itself is tax-free money.

Glad your wife found something, even if it’s not what her preferred working situation looks like.

I agree with this.

If you are getting the IRS mileage reimbursement, then you can't write off expenses or depreciation. If you claim expenses, then you have to claim the mileage reimbursement as income.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311

....Overall we really like it so far. Totally quirky and fun to drive. The instant torque of the EV is addicting.

If you're willing to share, I'd be interested in your experience so far of the financial pros and cons of the i3.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)