Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    I don’t know about adding on.... we did a huge project and while it serves the intended purpose I feel we have over improved our home and it still doesn’t have everything we want.

The only good thing is I’m half way through my mortgage. If we moved that certainly wouldn’t have been the case.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    well, Bradd has the advantage of being in a really high priced area at the lower end of the spectrum most likely, so plenty of upside to improve and add equity. Assuming you can front the money and find someone to do it!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418

@nyccarguy,
    I replaced my gas furnace, water heater and A/C for under 10K.
    97 or 98% efficiency furnace, 17 seer A/C.
    Maybe labor costs are a lot higher in Fairfield county.

I can’t imagine they are THAT much higher. You have gas up by you? That’s great. I heat my house with oil. Which A/C did you go with?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

stickguy said:

tahoe? That is the signal to get shopping.

For HVAC, that sounds really high for a smaller house. Unless it is not just swapping the equipment out. If you need new ductwork runs, etc, I have no idea what that will do to the price.

I think it is going to be more involved than swapping equipment. We currently have 1 zone and will most likely need 2. Currently our A/C cools the kitchen and living room down, but then the bedrooms never really get comfortable.

Might see if it is possible to run duct work into the basement.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194

Funny, I like the Sportage much better than the Tucson and the Sorrento much better than the Santa Fe, go figure. Different strokes I guess. I also think the Sorrento drives nicer to be honest. Crazy really but think the Sorrento looks and feels a bit more upscale also. One of my Hertz co-workers had a Sorrento, black over black, and it looked damn near perfect..

On one of our trips in 2018, we ended up getting a 19 Sorrento with 10 (yes, TEN!) miles on it at Hertz at DIA. It drove nice enough, didn't feel as big as, say, an Explorer or previous generation Pilot. The 8-speed auto was a bit shift-happy on some of the rolling hills on 25 up to Casper, but since then I found the 6-speed in my RDX a bit shift-happy in the mountains as well. Guess that's the price of having a peaky V6 instead of something turbocharged.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

at 7 years and 3 months old, the RDX just hit 58,000 miles. and we had 30K in the first 2.5 years. Really slowed down after that. I think we are doing about 8K/year now with the wife commuting. easy to keep a car a long time when you put that low miles on it

4 years and 10 months on the Outback and it just crossed 34,000 miles last week. Less than 600 miles a month on it. No plans to trade it out, though the Subaru dealer keeps sending us offers. Latest one is $521/mo for a 2020 Outback Limited XT, based on the trade in value of ours. Of course, they don't know ours is paid off.
    For Chronic Car Buyers, y'all sure don't drive a lot! My RDX is 4 years and 7 months from its in-service date and I just passed 60K last week. Just over 20K of those are mine in the last 14.5 months. Now the wife's Jetta is getting less use, as we're just over 75K (after being at 59K in Feb 2018).
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Up in Orlando now, nice to be away. Going to meet an old frat brother of mine soon.
    Put in a 17 seer a/c unit last July, works great and very efficient.
    Will hit 62K probably tomorrow.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    ronsteve said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

at 7 years and 3 months old, the RDX just hit 58,000 miles. and we had 30K in the first 2.5 years. Really slowed down after that. I think we are doing about 8K/year now with the wife commuting. easy to keep a car a long time when you put that low miles on it

4 years and 10 months on the Outback and it just crossed 34,000 miles last week. Less than 600 miles a month on it. No plans to trade it out, though the Subaru dealer keeps sending us offers. Latest one is $521/mo for a 2020 Outback Limited XT, based on the trade in value of ours. Of course, they don't know ours is paid off.
    For Chronic Car Buyers, y'all sure don't drive a lot! My RDX is 4 years and 7 months from its in-service date and I just passed 60K last week. Just over 20K of those are mine in the last 14.5 months. Now the wife's Jetta is getting less use, as we're just over 75K (after being at 59K in Feb 2018).
    When I had an office job, I was driving about 15k/yr. My wife puts on about 24k, which she splits between 2 vehicles.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    My commute to the office is one mile each way and I usually come home for lunch.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    edited December 2019
    My commute to the office is 15 feet now.

Adding in daycare drop off and pickup it’s about 10 miles total. I put on about 6500 miles a year on my car. Wife does closer to 10k.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    Decided to cross my fingers and hope the oil drip is just spilled oil from my recent oil change. Ran the Tahoe through a drive-through wash with the underbelly spray. Doubt that will take care of it, but you never know.
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    corvette said:

My commute to the office is one mile each way and I usually come home for lunch.

Damn, that's close enough for making pit stops. :o

FWIW, I thought I was doing pretty good at just under two miles for a big part of my working career.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555

My commute to the office is 15 feet now.

Adding in daycare drop off and pickup it’s about 10 miles total. I put on about 6500 miles a year on my car. Wife does closer to 10k.

That almost exactly mirrors what we do.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    Got the wagon the last day of March, ~6300 miles on it now. I think most of it has been road trips and hockey, as commuting averages ~40 miles/week.
    I just hit one year. not sure which day but I got it a few days before Christmas last year. a few miles under 7K.

did not get to buy a car this weekend. But, went out today with the wife and princess and switched our cell phone plan over to Xfinity and got new iPhone 11s for everybody. Spun the kid off onto her own plan (one more step on the becoming a grownup plan). same price either way for her so made sense. wife and I took advantage of the new customer discount ($250) to replace our old 7s that run out of battery way too quick recently. $20/month each was worth it. even with the 2 new phones on the plan, we are paying $50 less per month now. Money that will go toward the next car!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    stickguy said:

I just hit one year. not sure which day but I got it a few days before Christmas last year. a few miles under 7K.

did not get to buy a car this weekend. But, went out today with the wife and princess and switched our cell phone plan over to Xfinity and got new iPhone 11s for everybody. Spun the kid off onto her own plan (one more step on the becoming a grownup plan). same price either way for her so made sense. wife and I took advantage of the new customer discount ($250) to replace our old 7s that run out of battery way too quick recently. $20/month each was worth it. even with the 2 new phones on the plan, we are paying $50 less per month now. Money that will go toward the next car!

720 miles on the Fit. It will be 7 weeks old tomorrow. Sat at my mechanic's shop for a week, so getting more use than my normal daily driver.

I try to drive it when the two of us go anywhere, instead of my wife's car.

Because she hates the Fit.. :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    My son will be home for Cristmas so Thursday we are going to check out some cars to net $150. A Giulia, Supra, and Veloster N.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Toyota doing $50 now too? i might have to make a swing by! I did get an email from Subaru dealer that they were upping the ante to $65, but I probably have to wait a while for that clock to reset!

My son will be home for Cristmas so Thursday we are going to check out some cars to net $150. A Giulia, Supra, and Veloster N.

Very curious your thoughts about the Veloster N.
    I think car and driver just picked it as the best drivers car in a comparison. Beat out Porsche, mustang, BMW.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    stickguy said:

Toyota doing $50 now too? i might have to make a swing by! I did get an email from Subaru dealer that they were upping the ante to $65, but I probably have to wait a while for that clock to reset!

I got my Subaru $50 card yesterday. :smile:

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

Very curious your thoughts about the Veloster N.
    I have only ever seen Velosters driven by geriatric men who can’t use turn signals... make of that what you will.
    I saw Ford vs Ferrari yesterday with my sons. It was fantastic!

edited December 2019
    stickguy said:

I think car and driver just picked it as the best drivers car in a comparison. Beat out Porsche, mustang, BMW.

It was the PCOTY issue of R&T; a friend of mine is an editor there and he really likes the Veloster N. Hyundai poached BMW M VP of Engineering Albert Biermann to head their N division and he’s apparently doing an outstanding job. Needless to say, no other Hyundai’s are on my radar.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    I too anxiously await your assessment of the Veloster N. And I'd be very curious as to your impressions of the Civic Type R, though they continue to be difficult to get a hold of for a test drive.

I always figured the Veloster N would be an excellent used car buy, but there's yet to be much of any inventory. Though at $30k for the sportiest trim, it's quite the bargain as is.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

I think what annoys me most from the reviews of the Veloster N is just how spartan the interior is - and how much hard plastic it contains. I realize they were trying to pack obscene performance in at a price point, but still.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

I’d buy that prelude.

My latest scheme Plan was to swap trade the lease on the TLX for an X3. And trade in the RDX on the X3. Take the cash out, and spend part of it on a cheap 2nd car to winter beater for me.

Needless to say, I have not tried to explain this to the wife. Would need a spreadsheet and whiteboard for this one. Though she does seem to be focused on wanting a modern car now (just not the payment!)

Tipping point was listening to a podcast in my car, and not being able to easily call the princess to chat when they are both commuting home.

Now I just need to somehow put together a “revenue neutral” plan. Which is where the “I wonder if I can trade out of the TLX?” Came from.

Probably just easier to suck it up and do a 2nd payment.

stickguy said:

I’d buy that prelude.

My latest scheme Plan was to swap trade the lease on the TLX for an X3. And trade in the RDX on the X3. Take the cash out, and spend part of it on a cheap 2nd car to winter beater for me.

Needless to say, I have not tried to explain this to the wife. Would need a spreadsheet and whiteboard for this one. Though she does seem to be focused on wanting a modern car now (just not the payment!)

Tipping point was listening to a podcast in my car, and not being able to easily call the princess to chat when they are both commuting home.

Now I just need to somehow put together a “revenue neutral” plan. Which is where the “I wonder if I can trade out of the TLX?” Came from.

Probably just easier to suck it up and do a 2nd payment.

Have you seen what your TLX is worth on Carvana, Vroom, etc? They threw so much lease cash at that thing with such a low residual, you may be able to get out relatively unscathed...
    I have not. Guess the carvana request is easy. Just need to get the buyout from Acura.

Actually Rodo has a link now for getting out of a current lease. Hmmm.

breld said:
    LOVE that! It is a VTEC too! A driver too, at a resonable price.

stickguy said:

I have not. Guess the carvana request is easy. Just need to get the buyout from Acura.

Actually Rodo has a link now for getting out of a current lease. Hmmm.

I'd be careful with Rodo. I've not seen any evidence of improved business practices from them, even after name change. Stick with the "known" entities first, if you can.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    breld said:
    Gee, I wonder if my wife would let me dip into our savings account for this...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michael, I’m sure she’s going to be fine with it. So just bring it home. That’s what I would do.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    breld said:
    Nice. Guessing it's not a 4WS example since it wasn't called out. Hopefully that bra is not a full time thing either or I'd be worried what the paint looks like underneath.

This is also strictly a personal preference but I think I'd rather have a 3G Si 4WS. They are a hoot to drive and the 4WS is also mechanical.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    I looked at the rodo link. It just says that they will take it back for you and you owe 0. So I assume they are treating it like a trade in and rolling money into new lease? Either that or it only really applies to when you are at the end of the lease and they are doing a courtesy for you (more likely this I would bet)

stickguy said:

I looked at the rodo link. It just says that they will take it back for you and you owe 0. So I assume they are treating it like a trade in and rolling money into new lease? Either that or it only really applies to when you are at the end of the lease and they are doing a courtesy for you (more likely this I would bet)

If you owe more than it's worth, I promise the money is going somewhere else that you'll pay for it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    edited December 2019
    stickguy said:

Michael, I’m sure she’s going to be fine with it. So just bring it home. That’s what I would do.

Yeah, permission, forgiveness, they're both asks, yes?
    qbrozen said:
    Not very well equipped but it IS a JCW.

qbrozen said:
    Seeing listings for cool cars at BHPH lots just makes me depressed. You know that thing has been trashed and that you will need a shower after being in the dealer.
    Michaell said:

breld said:
    Gee, I wonder if my wife would let me dip into our savings account for this...
    That car is really tight on interior space.

pensfan83 said:

breld said:
    Nice. Guessing it's not a 4WS example since it wasn't called out. Hopefully that bra is not a full time thing either or I'd be worried what the paint looks like underneath.

This is also strictly a personal preference but I think I'd rather have a 3G Si 4WS. They are a hoot to drive and the 4WS is also mechanical.
    Not a 4WS, but a VTEC. I had an OEM bra like that on my Prelude for a number of years. It did a good job protecting the front end.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    nyccarguy said:

breld said:
    LOVE that! It is a VTEC too! A driver too, at a resonable price.
    My Fit is a VTEC!! :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    nyccarguy said:

I saw Ford vs Ferrari yesterday with my sons. It was fantastic!

I saw it with the GF and her daughter, all loved it. Great movie.
    Be sure to see Knives Out, too. Also great entertainment, filmed all around my neighborhood!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I saw it with the GF and her daughter, all loved it. Great movie.
    Be sure to see Knives Out, too. Also great entertainment, filmed all around my neighborhood!

Knives Out also features a beautiful Polaris Silver 3.0CS.

I love this puppy, but I know it will likely go for big $$$:
    1993 M5 Touring

I love this puppy, but I know it will likely go for big $$$:
    1993 M5 Touring

I'd have to pass on that color

Not me- I love Daytona Violet.