Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 6,053
    It’s completely negotiable. Show them some comps for what they’re selling for locally.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2019 BMW i3 REX, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 7,988
    edited December 2019

Thanks H2 for the right name of the new Kia CUV. Had no idea it was a bit bigger than the Hyundai Venue or those other things. Have not seen one but met a sales guy a couple weeks back at a Kia store and told him to let me know when they get some as I'm definitely in the market for either that, a Venue or the new VW Golf. Will need to drive them all and then decide but, I want the one with the most power and the most fun too drive factor also.
    At work, dropped off some Jeeps to the Jeep store that they bought from Enterprise and saw some beautiful vehicles. Love the 2 door Wrangler Sport but the smaller Renegade and Compass are both super nice also. But why, WHY do all Jeep products have such sucky mpg's? Just do not get it that they can't make a more efficient vehicle! They've nailed the fun factor hands down but economically, they definitely fall short. I want a vehicle that looks good, is fun to drive and that's also economical. That's it, those three criteria is all I need. Make it below $28K and give it a cool audio system and this kid is all in!
    Add to that small list the Mini Cooper Countryman and there ya have it, the for vehicles I've narrowed my short list down to. My list:
    2020 Kia Seltos
    2020 Hyundai Venue
    2020 VW Golf
    2020 Mini Cooper/Countryman

From what I have read, the Seltos will be available Feb. 2020 as a 2021 model. The local Hyundai dealers have a few of the Venues in stock but I haven't gone to see one. I like the looks of both of them. I am now back to being houdini1 as I was able to get my original identity back !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 7,233
    Better yet, ask them to come up with comps for Accents of that year with that low mileage.
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 3,046
    Thankfully she wasn’t badly hurt. I think she will appreciate the updated safety features, more robust structure and driving experience of a new car. After all after 10 years, time to upgrade a little.

2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2013 Honda Accord EX, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• fintailfintail Posts: 49,101
    Yes, never take the first offer from an insurance company. Unfortunately, settlements are like buying a car, the first price is just the first step.

Here's something for Bimmerheads:

• stickguystickguy Posts: 35,240
    forget the grill. I can't believe how tall that new SUV beast is.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 7,233
    @fintail I stole that and posted it on Facebook with a caption that's probably not printable here! :p
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 137,915
    Just imagine the dialysis needed if our human kidneys got that big! :stuck_out_tongue:

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 11,802
    In truth, he probably did her a favor getting her out of a 12 year-old Accent, despite the low miles.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 11,796
    @Sandman6472 ....well, that sucks. I guess the good news is, there’s a punch in the near future. The bad news is that’s an expense that probably wasn’t planned.
    2018 Acura TLX 3.5 SH AWD A-SPEC
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 13,734
    I saw a white Hyundai Elantra Sport this AM. Looked sharp. Sounded like the exhaust was crackling too. This is what you had @stickguy, right?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2017 Pilot Touring AWD, 2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD

• suydamsuydam Posts: 4,279
    That’s too bad. A 12 year old Accent can’t be worth much more than that though. She might want to consider a vehicle that holds its value better. OTOH an Accent is pretty cheap to own.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 26,845
    Less than 50k miles, but what was that new? Like $12k? I've advised they need at least $5k payout, so that's $7k depreciation over 12 years. Tough to beat that.

'19 Ioniq plug-in, '10 Equinox LS; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 50-car history and counting!

• @ondrays3 yes yes, I’m personally a very patient person, life is not perfect cars break it is what it is. But to each his own.
  • Joyce stressing yourself out being impatient and getting all worked up that’s a little like it’s done. Which can make you sick.
  • @ Send man, sorry to hear the bad news but everything happens for a reason and good but he’s OK that’s the main thing. What’s the bluebook value on that car? Have a fun trip going over there today!
    nyccarguy said:

I saw a white Hyundai Elantra Sport this AM. Looked sharp. Sounded like the exhaust was crackling too. This is what you had @stickguy, right?

Yup. It could deliver a nice burble.

qbrozen said:

Less than 50k miles, but what was that new? Like $12k? I've advised they need at least $5k payout, so that's $7k depreciation over 12 years. Tough to beat that.

Exactly. Would have cost more to own a civic say. That’s what, $50/month?

Finally saw a good deal pop up on Rodo (the former Honcker). Honda Ridgeline sport. 39 month, 12k miles/year. MSRP $33,xxx. $289 DAS/$289 per month.

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 26,845
    stickguy said:

Finally saw a good deal pop up on Rodo (the former Honcker). Honda Ridgeline sport. 39 month, 12k miles/year. MSRP $33,xxx. $289 DAS/$289 per month.

Is that with tax?
    I have yet to fully open Rodo. It wants my SS# and I'm not liking that.

'19 Ioniq plug-in, '10 Equinox LS; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 50-car history and counting!

• tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 9,585
    Yeah why does it need SS#? Just ask for estimated credit score or disclaimer any ads with the min score for the deal.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

I had to register since I almost bought a car through there, and upload license, etc. I thought you could just use it without all that.

And yes, that is complete and all in. Hit “lease this car” and do the paperwork.

• ventureventure Central PAPosts: 1,499
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

Is that with tax?
    I have yet to fully open Rodo. It wants my SS# and I'm not liking that.
    Try giving it any number.

2020 Ascent, 2018 Legacy 3.6R

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 13,396
    ab348 said:

In truth, he probably did her a favor getting her out of a 12 year-old Accent, despite the low miles.

Agreed. She lucked out, TBH. She would have never seen that kind of money out of it if she sold or traded it.
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
    private sale, maybe. But I doubt they would have gone that route s would have been getting hosed on a trade.

You’ve inspired me to open up the RODO app for the 1st time in who knows how many months. They’ve currently got a $38K 2020 TLX w Tech (4cyl) for $388/ month for 36/15K & just $388 DAS.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 5,183
    So much paperwork. Went to take tag off and clean it out. Don't look too bad really! But, really not worth fixing. Looks like she's going to get another Accent and be done with it.

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2)

• @ Stick guy, not a bad deal on that truck go for it Lol or the wife.
  • @ send man, glad the car is all cleaned out and yes she’ll be done with it and move on to something better, yes not worth fixing agreed. She got her money worth out of it. Another accent, he whatever she likes and can afford.
  • Good morning everyone happy happy Friday. Hope everyone had a good week.
    edited December 2019
    I'm also open to one of the crazy Volvo S60 deals too. Those are A LOT of car for the money.

You definitely have to work hard for those or go through a broker. There aren't more S60s on the road because if you walk into a dealership, they probably quote you a payment in the $5s or low $6s depending on what you want your drive off to be.

edited December 2019
    My negotiations started near $600 for a model less equipped than what I have.

You have to be educated to get a deal on one of these. Knowing which trim is key as the base momentum doesn’t lease as well as the R or Inscription

It took me 7-8 dealers before I found the one who hit the number. I also had to walk them through how I came up with my payment. The finance guy flat out said “we don’t see these in the 4’s without money down”

• graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 11,796
    tjc78 said:

My negotiations started near $600 for a model less equipped than what I have.

You have to be educated to get a deal on one of these. Knowing which trim is key as the base momentum doesn’t lease as well as the R or Inscription

It took me 7-8 dealers before I found the one who hit the number. I also had to walk them through how I came up with my payment. The finance guy flat out said “we don’t see these in the 4’s without money down”

Remind me, is your engine the 250HP or the 300HP?
    2018 Acura TLX 3.5 SH AWD A-SPEC
    It’s the T6 300 ish HP. Moves out very well. Quickest car I’ve owned for sure.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/los-gatos-2004-bmw-330i-zhp-e46/7019444048.html

My want for this is strong. It is no doubt overpriced, even considering the color combination and the laundry list of maintenance done recently. But man, this checks all the right boxes for me.
    That’s a nice one there. Great color combo

Are BMWs of that era easily upgraded to an aftermarket touch screen radio? I just couldn’t imagine driving something without that stuff.

When I still had the 04 MGM having a modern touchscreen made the car so much more enjoyable.

tjc78 said:

That’s a nice one there. Great color combo

Are BMWs of that era easily upgraded to an aftermarket touch screen radio? I just couldn’t imagine driving something without that stuff.

When I still had the 04 MGM having a modern touchscreen made the car so much more enjoyable.

There are some aftermarkets but I’m happy in a car like this to have an Aux port.
  • breldbreld Posts: 4,752

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/los-gatos-2004-bmw-330i-zhp-e46/7019444048.html

My want for this is strong. It is no doubt overpriced, even considering the color combination and the laundry list of maintenance done recently. But man, this checks all the right boxes for me.

Yeah, that is very nice with the mystic blue over natural brown. Miles aren't bad and can't beat the maintenance records.

But I would think $10-11k would be a generous price for an enthusiast. So his $13,750 is hard to take.

2019 Volvo V90 XC - 2019 MB GLC300 Coupe - 2014 BMW 228i

I'm thinking real world its probably $9-10k given the color combo and maintenance, pushing to $11k for the right person. At this mileage, it isn't a collectors item, it is a driver.
    love that one. but man, what a list of expensive repairs. I guess though that is the way to buy it. Can' be much left on the car not replaced in the last few years!

but I gotta wonder about this one. who in their right mind would replace a tranny, but not put in a new clutch at the same time? unless they screwed it up and it failed.

New transmission on 8/13/18 at 115,707
    Clutch, flywheel, and driveshaft replaced on 10/11/18 at 118,473

I find that less interesting than the fact that while nearly every major area has been hit, the missed spots are (1) VANOS, (2) Valve Cover Gasket, (3) Fuel Pump.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 145,625
    edited December 2019

Natty brown interior is definitely cool.

The price is nuts.

New transmission, clutch, etc? Doesn't sound like it aged well.

I've done a lot of the stuff they list, but nothing as major as a transmission, and still on my original clutch at the same mileage as that one (mine is two years newer).

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Also, he lists a lot of stuff, but doesn't say how long he has owned the car, and which owner had the work done. I'll guess that car got dumped a few times, within the last couple of years.

Edmunds Moderator

@stickguy Can' be much left on the car not replaced in the last few years!

Oh, I bet there is a lot more... ;)

Edmunds Moderator

If I were serious, I'd inquire. The body and interior don't look like a car that has been thrashed, but I've been fooled before.
    I think he only listed last 3 years, so probably his ownership? so maybe that other stuff was done prior.

If I were serious, I'd inquire. The body and interior don't look like a car that has been thrashed, but I've been fooled before.

Oh yeah... replaced the power steering? :o

New xenons with new lenses?

I think I'd go back and get the Viggen.. ;)

Just hang on, and you can buy mine for half that price, when @breld gives up the GTI.

Edmunds Moderator

I do wish my record keeping was that good, though.

I went down the list, and ".. oh yeah, I did that, too!"

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

Oh yeah... replaced the power steering? :o

New xenons with new lenses?

I think I'd go back and get the Viggen.. ;)

Just hang on, and you can buy mine for half that price, when @breld gives up the GTI.
    You definitely have a deal on that one.
    Geez... I love that interior. :)

Edmunds Moderator